wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

I'm glad you felt the need to confront us on this issue and appreciate your condescending to teach us fellow ICT professionals the vagaries of ISO27001 compliance. I will ensure that we conduct a full IASC audit in the unlikely event of a commercial release. Until then, if anyone feels there may be an inherent APT due to ALiVE coding, please refrain from using it.

I won't lie, I laughed a bit at this.

I was actually under the assumption that I wasn't speaking to IT professionals (due to the nature of the project), hence the rather simple (and inherently condescending) terminology. So I do apologize for any feelings that I may have hurt with my baby-talk.

Anyways, this is all news that I'm glad to hear. And @Tupolov, what's common sense to someone well-versed in IT might not be to someone who hasn't fully understood the perils of a system under explicit management control and may have bit off more than he or she could chew (I've seen it happen all too often). I acknowledge that my meddling may have been more of an interference to you than a help since your team is very well situated in their work, but I hope you understand that this same information given to a team which didn't understand the associated security risks could have allowed them to avoid a lot of possible trouble in the future.

I thank you and your team for your time and experience in helping me understand your system, and I hope that there is something which I can do to be able to contribute to your project development somehow (since you seem to have one of the best development teams in the Armaverse), if you would like of course. Good luck on this very well-developed product! :)

Well,I think we need a low altitude hover option for CAS support and transpot support.Sometimes I think a low altitude hover is need for special operations.And maybe a supply drop support will be fineï¼

what's common sense to someone well-versed in IT might not be

unfortunately I have learned that common sense is not. ugh. I do trust these guys are doing a great job based upon their work and behavior but it is also wise to ask some questions about security (eventually) if any potential client risks are apparent. that would be my only concern since this data really is non-essential and non-critical. some people might get pissed if their data disappears, but it is free and they would have no leg to stand on.

now I do hope we will be able to use Alive without a requirement of utilizing the backend services (for whatever reason).

unfortunately I have learned that common sense is not. ugh. I do trust these guys are doing a great job based upon their work and behavior but it is also wise to ask some questions about security (eventually) if any potential client risks are apparent. that would be my only concern since this data really is non-essential and non-critical. some people might get pissed if their data disappears, but it is free and they would have no leg to stand on.

now I do hope we will be able to use Alive without a requirement of utilizing the backend services (for whatever reason).

The risks to clients are largely mitigated by Arma's closed-environment system which largely sandboxes the activities which it can perform to in-game interaction and manipulation. The only real risk to clients is the chance of malicious code within the native application (which is possible in every native Windows application), although this literally never occurs in the real-world in legitimate applications such as this one. It's not even worth worrying about, but may be worth noting for other, lesser-known closed-source Arma extensions.

Also, from the information provided by the developers, it looks that ALiVE's backend web-based services are definitely capable enough to withstand basic injection attacks and the like, and due to the fact that it's not likely to actually be a target of any sort of malicious attempt, there's only an extremely small chance that anything should happen to them. I personally don't have any qualms about the security of these systems as they currently stand.

Morning Dudes :)

Actually I'm really happy on every feedback we are getting! I just would ask you kindly to move the security discussion indeep-tech-talk into PM, since many people in here are not that much into IT and just dont know what this is all about. Also I agree with wildfire, that the average troll is just one step away of a serious discussion in these regards - seen too often on other threads already. Don't get me wrong, im happy on serious feedback, but please lets discuss that privatly!

see ya laters comrades!

Highhead

A question regarding the 'Invasion' option again, i have searched but it still seems vague how this option works.

From the manual:

Invasion: units will start in the vicinity of the Mil_mp module and will move to take objectives as ordered by a synchronized OPCOM.

Does this mean units will move and take objectives that are covered by an enemies TAOR marker or within their own marker? also if using the 'Invasion' option, does that place high importance on where the module(s) is placed?

Ive tried referencing Alive_mountainwarfare.stratis but this mission is a bit confusing as there are markers in there that are not referenced by any alive modules it seems eg OG2 and NG2 unless they used by mission scripts.

What im trying to achieve is 2 factions moving and capturing objectives that fall under each others TAOR markers with both OPCOMS set to invasion, i believe i have set it up correctly with everything synced but do not see any evidence of this happening, or maybe im misunderstanding the meaning of this option completely.

EDIT: Ok ive reduced everything down to cover just 2 towns and it does appear to be working, as in units moving to enemy area.. so i would be correct in thinking that "units will move and take objectives that are covered by an enemies TAOR marker" is the concept of Invasion? apologies for mundane questions but this first time playing around with invasion option.

Edited by Katipo66
Better testing method

OPCOM will move units to take any objectives defined by a synced Mil Placement module - so if you place an MP with those TAOR markers listed, and sync OPCOM to it, the AI units will indeed seek to capture those objectives.

JinougaF - low altitude hover for support helicopters is provided in the upcoming release!

Well,I think we need a low altitude hover option for CAS support and transpot support.Sometimes I think a low altitude hover is need for special operations.And maybe a supply drop support will be fineï¼

Will be in the next release.

Ninja'd by Frizzle.

Edited by Gunny1979

OPCOM will move units to take any objectives defined by a synced Mil Placement module - so if you place an MP with those TAOR markers listed, and sync OPCOM to it, the AI units will indeed seek to capture those objectives.

Rodger that, im getting it now, i should have used valleyofJPD as reference... all good, thanks!

Oh and they won't play around...make damn sure you want it invaded before you TAOR it...

Rodger that, im getting it now, i should have used valleyofJPD as reference... all good, thanks!

Hi!

Also the Foursome demo is pretty a good starter package, just depbo and take a look how its done in there!

Enjoy!

JinougaF - low altitude hover for support helicopters is provided in the upcoming release!

Good to know,the AI Pilot almost make me mad so far,lol:yay:

You'll also be pleased to know we've resolved the radio item UID issue for Combat Support, so you will now be able to use radios to bomb the shit out of your favourite bit of ground. Unfortunately not so much luck with Dynamic Weather syncing - we've stumbled into a ArmA3 bug which prevents it working. Let's hope BIS fixes it one day!

The next Release will be shortly after BIS release the patch, which as we all know will be soonâ„¢, that is to say: when it's ready! We'll be releasing the regular ALIVE package as normal but the data element and website integration will be a phased release so we can monitor and control the impact on our database backend. The closed testing group will get early access as usual, followed by a small public group. If all goes to plan we will then open it up to the wider community. Please do not spam this thread with access requests, because we won't open it to anyone until it's good and ready!

Wildly assuming the data part all goes swimmingly, this will open the way to full mission persistence for the next iteration.

Hi!

Also the Foursome demo is pretty a good starter package, just depbo and take a look how its done in there!

Enjoy!

Will do thanks for tip, the more experimenting I'm doing the better this system gets, looking forward to the updates!

My group runs a dedicated server, and when we run an Alive Mission, the modules load really slow. Especially the Civilian Placement Modules.

For example, I made a mission for 200 OPFOR Civplacement, 200 OPFOR Milplacement, 100 BLU Milplacement. It takes 3mins for my own computer local server to process, but it takes more than 30mins to process in the dedicated server.

Our dedicated server is a tricore virtual server leased by NFO. I need to talk to the guy who is responsible for renting the sever to get all the specs if needed,

Anyone else having that problem or its just me?

Is there currently no way to distinguish what type of enemies spawn? I mean I know there is airborne, light infantry and the likes but no matter what you choose. Airborne, light infantry, etc.. it will ALWAYS spawn armor like howitzers and MBT's.. what if I just want infantry somewhere only.. is that possible?

Vezer, we moved the init to be processed completely prior to starting the mission which is actually much quicker and as it should be and also was intended to be. Will be available shortly after stable patch on tuesday (hopefully).

Polaris, force composition refinements are defo on our list!

See ya comrades

Vezer, we moved the init to be processed completely prior to starting the mission which is actually much quicker and as it should be and also was intended to be. Will be available shortly after stable patch on tuesday (hopefully).

See ya comrades

Awesome, can't wait!

I didn't look up the thread now, but someone wrote how to use the different input fields on the module param fields as there were slight incomsistencies like on some modules ["OPF_F","BLU_F"] and on others OPF_F,BLU_F. I changed that yesterday, so all inputs are now streamlined! Thanks for the one who posted that (i really would have forgotten about that)!

Latersh comrades!