wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

the profile system works on players, so player has to be in area for the profiled units to 'spawn' in.

Quick question for the devs before I search/post on the tracker:

Is the movement speed for profiled units (and perhaps simulated combat time) going to be slowed down somewhat for the next release? Seems to me that movement speed seems to be way too fast (maybe twice as fast as it should be). I'm seeing units (sometimes just infantry) moving km's at a time pretty quickly.

Of course this kind of thing is difficult to determine but just watching and showing units via the debug leads me to believe it is fast.

Highead's been working on the simulated speed of profiled unit movement and engagements to balance them a bit. I've not actually done any empirical tests recently but it seems to be fine in the Release Candidate. It's relatively easy to tweak though so just a case of balancing as we progress.

AI use of artillery is not a feature yet. We're beholden to...well, the AI, which as you all know can make your wife at that particular time of the month seem like a benign cuddly teddy bear by comparison. It's on the To Do list but in the meantime there are scripts out there that do a fairly good job already if you really, really want 500 pounds of HE on your head.

Combat Support now gives player access to artillery (not mortars yet...hey BIS, any help?! WTF is going on with those things?) and shared assets with your allies so BLUFOR can now use the GREENFOR fast air for CAS.

What else? Custom objectives. A lot of data stuff which is going to be very cool when you see it. Added support for a load of different maps. A Newâ„¢ method for custom groups which means addon units should be easier to use. Full persistence is still a a ways off though - turns out it's a bit more complicated than we anticipated, not least because the inventory system is like nothing any sane man would design (sorry BIS, but you have to agree with me here). Don't mention the hats!

Release The Second will be coming Soonâ„¢ just as soon as its ready. Stay tuned!

Release The Second will be coming Soonâ„¢ just as soon as its ready. Stay tuned!

Can't wait! Having the best time with this mod; to us, this feels like how Arma should be played, and that's been the most regular comment.

Just updated our Facebook page with some sneak peaks into what we are working on from a data perspective...

TGEoAwPl.jpg

VcbVgz6l.png

Enjoy!

Thats... damn impressive there Tupolov and team.

From those screens alone it looks like it's a better web based GUI than what the BF4 team did for Battlelog. Can't wait!

Thanks for this guys, nothing beats this for pure atmosphere, I can throw something together with my very limited editor skills, and it really feels like I'm part of something huge, there's nothing else like it. One question, regarding my aforementioned limited editing skills: I have Alive modules military placement and military civilian placement working, and they're doing what they should. I try to use moveincargo with my team in a chopper or a boat, but they seem to spawn in the same space as the vehicle ( and in the case of the chopper, fall to earth ) instead of in the vehicle. Is this a known issue, perhaps it's been replaced with something within ALIVE that I'm not aware of? Thanks!

Thanks for this guys, nothing beats this for pure atmosphere, I can throw something together with my very limited editor skills, and it really feels like I'm part of something huge, there's nothing else like it. One question, regarding my aforementioned limited editing skills: I have Alive modules military placement and military civilian placement working, and they're doing what they should. I try to use moveincargo with my team in a chopper or a boat, but they seem to spawn in the same space as the vehicle ( and in the case of the chopper, fall to earth ) instead of in the vehicle. Is this a known issue, perhaps it's been replaced with something within ALIVE that I'm not aware of? Thanks!

Hi Manfred!

Very happy that you like it so much! For your issue, its pretty common and i ran into it myself already - simple to solve, just ensure that your units are not virtualized by the sys profile module (by setting the according param to "only profile synced units" f.e.)! If you have further questions dont hesitate to look here or join our skpye group! Overall , there is much more to come, very much community feedback integrated in the upcoming version, so prepare for the 0.5.6 release next week (probably some hours after BIS deployed the stable patch)!

Enjoy

Highhead

Ahhh, brilliant, that should solve it :) Thanks a lot highhead, I think that's also going to solve another issue I've had too with playing animations. Really looking forward to the upcoming release :)

Quick question for the devs before I search/post on the tracker:

Is the movement speed for profiled units (and perhaps simulated combat time) going to be slowed down somewhat for the next release? Seems to me that movement speed seems to be way too fast (maybe twice as fast as it should be). I'm seeing units (sometimes just infantry) moving km's at a time pretty quickly.

Of course this kind of thing is difficult to determine but just watching and showing units via the debug leads me to believe it is fast.

The combat speed is actually much better than it was in original release - combat occurs now at a slower pace and takes time to be resolved 'virtually'. Note that motorized, mech, armor units move much quicker than infantry - make sure you are observing INF groups. I"ll keep my eye out for this during testing.

guys,

I am assuming by the comment from highhead above and my observations that the profiler 'breaks' units it profiles if they have actions in their init? for example, I set some units to call the ambientanim or ambientanimcombat function but after profiling they no longer have the animation set. also during the moment of profiling all lights go out or dim and then come back once the profile module is set.

is it possible to correct this? the lights, etc. thing kinda kills the ambiance, and having to sync all those units to the profiler (regardless, do nothing with synced or profile only synced) is a bit of extra work. or is the only solution for units to not be profiled to maintain their init?

thx!

guys,

I am assuming by the comment from highhead above and my observations that the profiler 'breaks' units it profiles if they have actions in their init? for example, I set some units to call the ambientanim or ambientanimcombat function but after profiling they no longer have the animation set. also during the moment of profiling all lights go out or dim and then come back once the profile module is set.

is it possible to correct this? the lights, etc. thing kinda kills the ambiance, and having to sync all those units to the profiler (regardless, do nothing with synced or profile only synced) is a bit of extra work. or is the only solution for units to not be profiled to maintain their init?

thx!

For now prifiled units only know about waypoints.if you want to run scripts on them, then dont profile them. Please log a feature request as this is prolly some more work! Esp. To maintain. We may have a solution for this though :)

Just some feedback using LAN and not sure if it's related with Alive, using Alive+bcombat I found I lost control of an injured unit in my group when respawning, medic would move to unit to heal but could not heal and injured unit would give status report but would/could not move anywhere. Again maybe unrelated, maybe someones experienced similar without bcombat?

Not 100% perhaps a dev can answer this... I have seen the howitzers fire on enemy positions without any orders given but I can't say if that's because they had LOS on the enemy units or not.

If the faction in question does not have it's own motorized units you could try adding both factions in the faction field in the module, set to Motorized, and see what spawns.

Yeah this is a known issue and should be fixed for next update.

***If you check out the GC module parameters you will see it has a time option (300 seconds) and an item limit option (100). Set either to lower values if you want faster cleanup. Note that you must be a certain distance from bodies/objects for them to be cleaned up unless the hard limit (100) is reached***

(only available next release)

With regards to respawn I think if you cannot spawn on the friendly unit it will spawn you back at base but I can't recall if there are any options.. haven't used that module in a while.

Thanks again Savage! Ill def give that a try. I was wondering what the proper format was for adding multiple factions (ie ["drIrregulars","OPF_G_F"] or [drIrregulars,OPF_G_F] or drIrregulars,OPF_G_F)

Thanks again bud! really appreciate it! Im having so much fun with ALIVE!

Thanks again Savage! Ill def give that a try. I was wondering what the proper format was for adding multiple factions (ie ["drIrregulars","OPF_G_F"] or [drIrregulars,OPF_G_F] or drIrregulars,OPF_G_F)

Depends on the module. In the OPCOM module the format is:

["OPF_F","OPF_G_F"]

In the placement modules the format is without quotes and brackets

OPF_F, OPF_G_F

Enjoy!!

OPF_F, OPF_G_F

Enjoy!!

I can hardly wait to see what you guys will have for CIV! Reading the manual before I go to bed, especially this part:

"These locations will be used as tactical objectives by synched Operational Commanders. Civilian locations will develop a pattern of life including pedestrians and civilian vehicles."

... gives me nice dreams :)

["OPF_F","OPF_G_F"]

OPF_F, OPF_G_F

Enjoy!!

submitted bug report 73749 - hope it was OK to quote you Savage! it would be great if the team could fix this inconsistency.

in the CQB module, is the format of entering factions the same as the MP and CP modules? or the same as the OPCOM module?

Edited by hlfritz

["OPF_F","OPF_G_F"]

OPF_F, OPF_G_F

Enjoy!!

Awesome thanks a tonne bud! Im going to give it a shot later!

No problem I'll probably get flogged again but hey.... take one for the team :p

We'll wait to see what one of the devs says.. it may be like that for a reason. It's really not that hard to remember and besides if you hover your mouse over the field it will show you an example.

in the CQB module, is the format of entering factions the same as the MP and CP modules? or the same as the OPCOM module?

I believe it's the same as the placement modules.. open the module and do a mouse-over it should show a hint.

re: CQB module. it does not. the top field hints: Chooses the factions of strategic CQB units. the bottom field hints: Chooses the factions of regular CQB units.

now we just open up a can of worms! what is the difference between regular and strategic CQB units? in the tutorials I understood it said that these two fields just represented the factions that would be spawned in based upon control of the area, but maybe i missed something. and then what is the proper syntax for entering the factions?

another bug submission? let me know and I will submit something if necessary.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

another q (or two or 3!). in the ai skill module, does the module do a setskill? does it override the difficulty setting (skill and precision) as well, or will it ignore that? are the values used the default initial values found in the profiles? does it affect units not placed by Alive modules?

re: CQB module. it does not. the top field hints: Chooses the factions of strategic CQB units. the bottom field hints: Chooses the factions of regular CQB units.

Ah ok well when you place the module observe what is there as default and follow that syntax (pretty sure it's no quotes or brackets) :p

now we just open up a can of worms! what is the difference between regular and strategic CQB units? in the tutorials I understood it said that these two fields just represented the factions that would be spawned in based upon control of the area, but maybe i missed something. and then what is the proper syntax for entering the factions?

Strategic will spawn guys at military installations whereas regular will spawn in houses and other civilian structures.

another q (or two or 3!). in the ai skill module, does the module do a setskill? does it override the difficulty setting (skill and precision) as well, or will it ignore that? are the values used the default initial values found in the profiles? does it affect units not placed by Alive modules?

That one will have to wait for a dev to respond.

The labelling and inconsistencies are noted and logged as a To Do. Slaves are duly being whipped.

Any word on the War Room? I'm really interested to use/test it!! :D and what exactly is the xStream module? Does that module work in the current build of ALiVE? :P