wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

They only work cause they are an addon where the configs have been changed to place them on the BLUFOR side instead of GREENFOR.. the person who mentioned them above was trying to use the GREENFOR versions while playing as BLUFOR units.

Thanks for the report though good to know they work!

actually I was trying to get OPFOR choppers to respond/fly for INDEPENDENT (as I have independent friendly to opfor). it does work with the built in Support Requestor and Support Provider modules if that helps (although I could not get them to take me to drop off, they did respond to pickup. my issue with drop off may have been that I really do not know how the built in ARMA 3 thing works).

actually I was trying to get OPFOR choppers to respond/fly for INDEPENDENT (as I have independent friendly to opfor). it does work with the built in Support Requestor and Support Provider modules if that helps (although I could not get them to take me to drop off, they did respond to pickup. my issue with drop off may have been that I really do not know how the built in ARMA 3 thing works).

Currently attempted to be coded as I type.

Edited by Gunny1979
added attempted no promises :-)

damn! you guys are on it.

I did just test and the built in stuff does work if I have independent set as friendly to opfor, ind squad leader synced to support requestor object, support provider synced to support requestor, opfor orca synced to support provider. was able to request opfor orca to land where I wanted, ordered ai to get in, got in, and then marked map where orca should drop off, it proceeded and we got out at correct destination.

not sure if that helps or not. I like the Alive method better with popping smoke (not sure you really need to do that at a friendly base though - probably more difficult to make that exception instead of always pop smoke).

anyways thx guys.

You can just tell the chopper to Land or Land (engine off) if you don't want to pop smoke all the time. It will attempt to land at the nearest flat location and/or HLS. Popping smoke is more reliable in the field - it basically creates a temporary HLS at the smoke grenade's location.

If I'm not mistaken those units are not supported in version 0.5.4 but will be for the next release. Regardless here are the faction names:

drIrregulars
mas_afr_rebl_b 
mas_afr_rebl_i 
mas_afr_rebl_o
mas_ukf_sftg
mas_usa_delta 
mas_usa_devg
mas_usa_rang 
mas_usa_usoc 
SUD_RU

(Also Iron Front will be supported next release)

Alright, didn't know that. Thank you!

I dont know how to use this =/ maybe becouse my mother tongue is not english, idk,but i saw the videos (can make the mission of the video indeed) and read the pdf file, and nothing, i just dont understand enough to make a (opfor+cqb) vs blufor mission on any map...

Wich modules do i need and in wich direction i need to "link" those modules?

For make a Blufor invasion to an island fully ocuppied by opfor with opfor CQB module active??

Want to try this out for performance testing only... actuallly im playing with SaOk dinamic mission, but after a 5 hours gameplay (first time i stay this long on that mission lol) my fps just drop below 15... (normaly i start with 50~60 fps everything maxed out.. but only 2x AA)

Anyone can help me a little please?

I can confirm something, the AW159 choppers will spawn and work in Alive (GreenFor turned BluFor choppers mod). They will spawn around bases along with the other choppers. I was playing the Stratis Mountain War example mission and even had one armed version flying around providing air support for like 10 minutes, doing straffing runs over the base I was trying to secure. You can link them to CAS as well, you can do the same with the FA-18 mod and I assume the SU-35 (if you're OpFor) and get real fast mover support.

I just read above somewhere that someone couldn't get them to work. Follow the example missions and you should be set.

Just one question,can you guide the LGB of these Aircrafts in mod like F18 to fire at a correct target that you guide it to?Will they hit the correct target?And will them take a long time brfore fire?I really want to konw if it works as it should be……

You can define which type will be selected most on the MIL placement modules, an option to only spawn INF is in the works. You can use the CQB module though if you want to occupy buildings with Infantry only!

JingougaF, I guess this addon works like any other plane with Laser guided bombs?

Silly Request Alert:

Could there somehow be included some type of convoy/supply system from base to base option for the 'Occupation' setting for all the specop/guerrillas out there, with a broadcast parameter that announces departure and the ability to define how long from announcement to departure and markers showing departure and destination but not necessarily the route, not to dis-similar to.. cough, Ambush in SOM?

Silly Request Alert:

Could there somehow be included some type of convoy/supply system from base to base option for the 'Occupation' setting for all the specop/guerrillas out there, with a broadcast parameter that announces departure and the ability to define how long from announcement to departure and markers showing departure and destination but not necessarily the route, not to dis-similar to.. cough, Ambush in SOM?

If you watch the map carefully and have configured fairly large amounts of vehicles in the mix, you can sometimes spot convoys on the move. The trick is finding one close enough make visual contact with that you can reach in the window of available time. Also wouldn't what you are asking be more suited as a side-mission/task? Right now they are pretty simple like "destroy this building" or "hold this position" but I'm hoping that the more complex "packaged scenarios" might be added, like "stop/ambush convoy" or "rescue prisoner" or "eliminate/capture HVT". From my position of ignorance, I would hazard to ask if this at all feasible or being considered?

Edited by MissionCreep

You can define which type will be selected most on the MIL placement modules, an option to only spawn INF is in the works. You can use the CQB module though if you want to occupy buildings with Infantry only!

JingougaF, I guess this addon works like any other plane with Laser guided bombs?

Well,maybe it works,I just not sure,maybe I will test it myself.

Even the support Module that BI give in the editor sometimes can't use laser guider.

I dont know how to use this =/ maybe becouse my mother tongue is not english, idk,but i saw the videos (can make the mission of the video indeed) and read the pdf file, and nothing, i just dont understand enough to make a (opfor+cqb) vs blufor mission on any map...

Wich modules do i need and in wich direction i need to "link" those modules?

For make a Blufor invasion to an island fully ocuppied by opfor with opfor CQB module active??

Want to try this out for performance testing only... actuallly im playing with SaOk dinamic mission, but after a 5 hours gameplay (first time i stay this long on that mission lol) my fps just drop below 15... (normaly i start with 50~60 fps everything maxed out.. but only 2x AA)

Anyone can help me a little please?

the video tutorials from the Alive web page do make it pretty obvious how to do things with this mod. it has been stated that sync direction does not matter - maybe an Alive team member will confirm that. basically:

-place a player/players for the side you want (if blufor inside the blufor ao marker area below makes sense)

-place a Requires Alive module, sync to nothing

-place a profile module, sync to nothing

-place an admin module, sync to nothing

-place a marker for your blufor AO, name it (they have to have a place to start from, make sure there is some type of military buildings for it to find in the ao)

-place a mil placement module in your blufor AO, select options and faction, and put the name of your blufor ao marker (MUST be exactly the same)

-place a opcom module for blufor and select options (make sure to select invasion)

-sync your blufor mil placement module to your blufor opcom module

-place a mil placement module for your opfor on the island, select options and faction (no need to have an ao since you want whole island), put blufor ao marker name in blacklist (you do not want opfor in the blufor ao to start

-place a civ placement module for your opfor on the island, select options and faction (no need to have an ao since you want whole island), put blufor ao marker name in blacklist (you do not want opfor in the blufor ao to start

-place an opcom module for your opfor and select options (make sure to select occupy)

-sync your opfor mil placement and civ placement modules to your opfor opcom module

-place a cqb module and set factions (opfor in this case) and sync to your opfor civ placement module

-sync your blufor opcom module to your opfor civ placement and mil placement module

save and play. this was from memory but I think it is close if not right for the basics. someone will chime in I am sure. this WILL take quite some time to initialize if you try to cover a whole island. also make sure you select enough troops to occupy a whole island. I would recommend testing on Stratis. there is a new version coming where the Alive team is speeding up the initialization time.

@fritznit, thx, I did not know that.

Alive team,

I think the Alive system stomps on the built in supports after it initializes which is why I had an issue with my test of having a helo pick me up but was not able to have it drop me off. I do not yet know if it is Alive in general or the supports or supports transport that stomped on it, but it basically at mission start I can access ARMA 3 built in supports via normal comms menu (0 then 8) but after sometime in the Alive initialization process that goes away. I can hit 0, go to 8 but then the helos are no longer listed. let me know if you want me to verify (it might just be the combat support module that stomps on it). without Alive in use built in ARMA supports works fine.

Edited by hlfritz

If you watch the map carefully and have configured fairly large amounts of vehicles in the mix, you can sometimes spot convoys on the move. The trick is finding one close enough make visual contact with that you can reach in the window of available time. Also wouldn't what you are asking be more suited as a side-mission/task? Right now they are pretty simple like "destroy this building" or "hold this position" but I'm hoping that the more complex "packaged scenarios" might be added, like "stop/ambush convoy" or "rescue prisoner" or "eliminate/capture HVT". From my position of ignorance, I would hazard to ask if this at all feasible or being considered?

Right, good point.. I never actually played it long enough to see convoys or see vehicle large movement tbh, yes I wondered if it was more a side mission/task but felt it was more kind off specific to occupation as that would be the setup I think I would use if I was wanting to play a specop/infiltration type mission? I Need to play around And test this more, so much to it.

Edited by Katipo66

Like so many, i too have been thoroughly enjoying ALiVE. I thought i pop this lil story on here firstly because as much as i love ALiVE, from a single player perspective it's difficult to get past the no save issue (I'm aware this is being worked on :) ). But also it might inspire some other guerrilla fans. And (probably most noticeably) I've not much else to do!

So the other night i occupy Altis with 2400 AI with the fantastically easy to use ALiVE. I headed a small 6 man FIA team with a Jeep. Now looking back i should have put a BLUFOR OPCOM down to assign objectives to me but alas i made my own. So i placed my under equipped team in the land mass south of Altis connected by a small land bridge. (A strategical error on my part) and moved towards the one military encampment in the area. The beginning is fairly booksheet, get within a K of the objective, disembark and scout out. We get to within 500m of the large watchtower and I'm in the prone position doing the whole SF thing at which point one of my AI spots the sentry in the tower, (nice touch ALiVE) stands up and waves franticly to his new friend. Unfortunately the sentry, unhappy with his new admirer, decides it's safer to shoot than meet up. Element_of_surprise setvelocity [o,o,100000]

So with a new approach needed, i bounded around the base to the forest behind it. We bumped it into sentry and quickly eliminated the threat, surprisingly with only one casualty. Fearful of meeting another sentry, we moved up to the base as quickly as possible and began hurling grenades over the wall. I set 2 AI (Team green) to cover outside while i moved in with the other two (team red). I tried to get Team Green to cover us, but alas the sight of the sea was far to attractive. All of a sudden a hail of bullets lit up the ground around me, and only through Team greens catlike reactions i was saved by a completely unheard of, one in a million, single shot to the head from my autoriflman 150m away. Clearing the base took a couple of moments and now allowed me to view the area from the watch tower. I did notice a group of fully armed synchronized swimmers, which explained why Team green refused to look in right direction, who presumably were the QRF (Again I'm aware water detection is being worked on :) ) once i had finished healing my men after practicing their non-parachute base jumping, we proceeded to the jeep. One in, we continued the adventure knowing each important location would be contested and no area was "Out of the OA" and the AI would be hunting us down like dogs. Having that freedom was great.

One of my favorite aspects of ALiVE is the fact the AI are placed sensibly and do not wonder randomly. Especially in this case it made the map feel alive (Pardon the pun) as opposed to a load of randomly placed AI. Not only that, but he OPCOM allows the AI to react to your actions (Normally resulting in a counter attack rather than a swimming lesson ;) ) which again brings a new level of depth.

A big thanks to the team and i look forward to the update!

You may have inspired me to play as a Green Beret leading my own FIA unconventional force into battle! Definitely when I can save a game.

Ref map pack: not yet, but we've added most (if not all) of them to the upcoming release.

Ref laser guided bombs: this is entirely up to the mod and BIS system. If you point an laser at something, the AI usually engages it with an LGB fairly reliably, insofar as ArmA AI ever does anything reliably that is!

Ref Convoys: for the next iteration (NOT the next release) we are planning to develop the AI Logistics module further, which will include convoys moving reinforcement and resupplies from a rear echelon support group up to the front line, providing plenty of opportunities for emergent strategies. Whether we are able to build this intelligently into the Player Tasks module as well remains to be seen. When this gets release depends entirely on how the development cycle works out - it's still at the design stage at the moment.

Meanwhile, I know Player Tasks are nice and all but they were never really meant to be the heart of ALiVE and currently have no bearing on OPCOM. They're at best a temporary placeholder until we can develop something more meaningful. The Op Commanders do have defined objectives and careful monitoring of Intel (both from the Intel feed and your own recce) can reveal what they're planning. It's up to you to decide how to deal with them - make your own tasks and beat them at their own game!

hlfritz - nice write up. I may plagiarise that for the manual if you don't mind, because it seems we need to add some more comprehensive 'Getting Started' instructions than we have already.

Please test the Support - I confess I don't use the BIS ones much as I've never found them to be very reliable even at the best of times. ALiVE Combat Support is where it's at! ;)

fritznit - go for it. I also do not mind helping, writing and testing. I will test the different scenarios this evening, wife permitting. :D

I have a few Q's...

1) I guess that high command is pretty much out of the question because of the unit spawning but are there any plans to allow some sort of high command ability to Alive where the player can determine what Opcom does, like where to assault and reinforce on the map? If it's even possible! :icon_wink:

2) How does the HQ creation work in Alive? Is it tangable like a base or virtual? I see the option in the Opcom module but always have it enabled to create an HQ. What happens when you destroy it if it's real?

3) Is there any way to execute a script or something when the player completes an objective / task given by Alive?

4) Also, is there a way to count the number of kills a player has while using Alive? I ask because I'm not sure adding a killed event handler to Alive units can work, thousands of units most of which aren't spawned might not work or it might cause another Fukushima disaster in my bedroom... I'll test this later when I can.

I'm trying to figure out a way to properly combine some form of DUWS (with the FOB and support, purchase a team, VAS capabilities etc ) into a decent singleplayer mission to make an Island wide campaign more feasable. I know how to enable saving so that's a good start! ;)

Edited by LowFlyZone
Added another question