wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

I've experienced the AI crossing water thingy.

I'm working on an short AAR after a game session we had today.

Hope to see the civilian module, etc. introduced too, soon! :D

Hi comrades, the groups that move over water because its the direct route to their destination spawn on land still. Pathfinding is a pretty intense calculation on cpu, i tried once to create boats if they are on water but failed to get to find them the nearest coast without having really high impacts on performance thats why it is as it is now. Expect improvements on this in the upcoming months.

Unfortunately it's a "feature" until/unless we work out how to do better path finding without killing performance.

Unfortunately it's a "feature" until/unless we work out how to do better path finding without killing performance.

Is pathfinding currently linear?

In any case, an index of the road network would be useful here. Dijkstra's algorithm could be used at the start of the game to select representative road segments and compute shortest path to other representative road segments. Once you have that, you could do something like:

1. Unit at location A is assigned objective at location B.

2. Check to see if a dry (no water) straight-line path exists between location A and location B (by sampling points along the line and checking surfaceIsWater at intervals).

3. If dry straight line path exists, use that. If no such line exists, find nearest representative point on road network with a dry straight line path (max 3 tries, if none is found use straight line path or cancel objective assignment).

4. Have unit take indexed path from location A to chosen representative point and then take straight line path from representative road segment from to location B.

This would tend to (realistically) funnel units along roads for longer trips and would significantly reduce the number of water trips, but it would require some substantial calculations up front.

How would I use the profile system to profile everything except units I spawn via scripts during the mission? I can't sync them in the editor as they don't exist at mission start...

This has been asked some weeks ago and i can't find an answer to it. I think this would be a very important feature for ALiVE to do so by adding this possibility to the profile system like "Only profile ALiVE units". So mission customizer can add ALiVE to missions like I&A, PO3 and others.

I was trying to merge ALiVE with I&A the day before and failed. I&A places units with waypoints around the main and side targets, gives them waypoints and all was fine. ALiVE profiled the units and their waypoints until they reached the last waypoint. After that, ALiVE gave them new waypoints like "move over there and defend city X". Result was, i reached the main target and no OPFOR unit was there to be wiped. But the target can only be completed when all units (or most of them) are killed. Thats not possible b/c they are all across the map ^^

Question:If i make an OppCom(IND_F) + Militaryzone(IND_F)(Only one base) + Logistics (Synk them right) and add players in BLU_F will the IND_F defend and send units to the zone if the players attack OR are a BLU_F Zone required to make the OppCom System to work properly?

Is there any way i can Add a EH -"GetIn" to vehicles that Alive creates ?

Sorry mate not atm, feel free to post as a feature request on our issue tracker on dev heaven!

Cheers

This has been asked some weeks ago and i can't find an answer to it. I think this would be a very important feature for ALiVE to do so by adding this possibility to the profile system like "Only profile ALiVE units". So mission customizer can add ALiVE to missions like I&A, PO3 and others.

I was trying to merge ALiVE with I&A the day before and failed. I&A places units with waypoints around the main and side targets, gives them waypoints and all was fine. ALiVE profiled the units and their waypoints until they reached the last waypoint. After that, ALiVE gave them new waypoints like "move over there and defend city X". Result was, i reached the main target and no OPFOR unit was there to be wiped. But the target can only be completed when all units (or most of them) are killed. Thats not possible b/c they are all across the map ^^

If you dont want to profile any other units than ALiVE ones, just switch "only profile synced units" on the sys profile module. Pretty easy! Profiling lateron spawned units isnt implemented (yet).

About pathfinding, and virtual units over water - pathfinding is all a matter of performance, but we are trying to find a fitting solution. The units wont be placed in water though, but on land!

See ya on the battlefield

Question:If i make an OppCom(IND_F) + Militaryzone(IND_F)(Only one base) + Logistics (Synk them right) and add players in BLU_F will the IND_F defend and send units to the zone if the players attack OR are a BLU_F Zone required to make the OppCom System to work properly?

That should work fine. If you make a BLU_F zone with MP (Objective Only) and sync it to the INF_F OPCOM module, the INF_F will attack those objectives too.

That should work fine. If you make a BLU_F zone with MP (Objective Only) and sync it to the INF_F OPCOM module, the INF_F will attack those objectives too.

Does this work when there are no objectives for the player faction?

Also or does it need a objective to send something to?

Hi masters

How I disable a opcom module using a script?

Best regards

Enviado de meu GT-N7100 usando Tapatalk

If you dont want to profile any other units than ALiVE ones, just switch "only profile synced units" on the sys profile module. Pretty easy! Profiling lateron spawned units isnt implemented (yet).

Seems to work :D

THX again highhead!

Really looking forward to the next update. Can't wait to see A3MP maps come to life with ALiVE's excellent cqb module. :)

Will the IED module be introduced in the next update as well?

Really looking forward to the next update. Can't wait to see A3MP maps come to life with ALiVE's excellent cqb module. :)

No I'm afraid not, due to the festive break we have only done a few bug fixes and feature requests. Oh and of course Iron Front :cool:

guys,

can an objective be placed in the mission editor for the opcom or placement module to occupy or even then subsequently defend/attack? i.e. one that I create? or is it currently only those present on the map and indexed/searched at startup?

Edited by hlfritz
clarifications

guys,

can an objective be placed in the mission editor for the opcom or placement module to occupy or even then subsequently defend/attack? i.e. one that I create? or is it currently only those present on the map and indexed/searched at startup?

This feature will be released soon

cant wait to use AfricanConflict or Middle East Irregulars on the ALIVE platform!

thx Gunny. looking forward to it. I will use what you guys have given us so far. this thing is great, and I cannot wait to see more.

how about an enhancement request? I am sure it is already thought of and perhaps planned.

add artillery to the Combat Support capabilities? each artillery marker should drop a section of appropriate arty for use.

also for combat support a question: it does not seem to recognize itemradio as the required item to use combat support. it does recognize LaserDesignator and RangeFinder. is it because of the slot the items are in?

thx Gunny. looking forward to it. I will use what you guys have given us so far. this thing is great, and I cannot wait to see more.

how about an enhancement request? I am sure it is already thought of and perhaps planned.

add artillery to the Combat Support capabilities? each artillery marker should drop a section of appropriate arty for use.

also for combat support a question: it does not seem to recognize itemradio as the required item to use combat support. it does recognize LaserDesignator and RangeFinder. is it because of the slot the items are in?

Arty is in the next release also!

Will check out itemradio.

Gunny

The IED module will likely feature in RC3, so probably at least 2-3 months away. We are keen to bring as many of the MSO modules to ALiVE in RC3. In the meantime we are working to get RC2 out of the door which has all of the data features and functions that truly make ALiVE persistent and integrated with the web. Please log a feature request ticket though for the IED module and any requirements/ideas you have for it.

Guys, I come from MSO. Yesterday I tried ALiVE youtube tutorials and I'm very happy with the results. I had no problems at all. And i get what i wanted, a completely dynamic battle. Can't wait to get home and try to make custom missions. Keep up the good job and congratz for what you have done. :cool:

On a tangent I'd be curious to know how you are getting Clafghan working with Alive. I can get it to load and it will identify the handful of FOBs, and the runway, but I can't figure out how to get a bunch of OPFOR to spawn *outside* of those locations :(

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

I guess I could expand my ALiVE wishlist with the "custom location" idea for maps that don't have enough MP or CP locations defined... For example imagine a scenario where a spy satellite is crashed in the mountains and the occupying forces are all pushing to that general vicinity as a priority. And some sort of compatibility layer (perhaps in a separate mod?) that would allow a mission editor to simply choose THIS group of units = THAT faction (opfor, blufor, indy, etc.) to make better use of added on armies (that aren't properly configured) as well as add flexibility to how various units are used.

It's been a little difficult and every time I tweak something it either all breaks, or it changes in really bizarre ways. I was trying for the longest time to get a particular town to be independent occupied so we could have a "sort of friendly" town just outside of the line to give us a buffer from clever insurgents. After about 5 hours of not figuring it out, I did god knows what, stopped telling the system to spawn them in the city, and suddenly stuff started spawning in there. On thing I will say is that you need to experiment with things like military vs civilian placements, that helped a lot with me.

Once I get all of the kinks worked out an implement a few more systems, I'm planning on putting the mission up for people to play with, as we've had a ton of fun with it so far.

cool - arty too!

I am struggling with an issue right now and I do not know if it is just me doing (or not!) something so obvious that I miss it or if alive effects it. can I have mission briefings via a briefing.sqf called from init.sqf and the player createDiaryRecord command with alive?

First I'd like to say I played the crap out of MSO in Arma 2 and ALIVE is the greatest module ever created by man. I'm having some trouble getting the CQB module to work on Clafghan, when I sync it to civ or mil placement modules they do not spawn units in any buildings and the CQB module doesn't seem to be doing anything (no units showing up in CQB debug). I have Middle Eastern irregulars running and the military and civilian placement modules sucesfully place them around the objectives but the CQB doesnt seem to do it. I know I'm prob doing something wrong but what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!