wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Hi ALiVE Gurus! I'm really enjoying experimenting with ALiVE and looking at the mission sqm implementations posted on

http://alivemod.com/

I'm having one problem related specifically to bracer's Minihattan island v 0.1 for Arma 3.

I've implemented scenarios ALiVE in Altis and Chenarus @A3MP with no problems. I've found that ALiVE does not progress beyond module_0 (see my specs below) even after waiting over 30 min for simple scenarios to load. Am I doing something wrong/stupid or can anyone else reproduce this? If it is a glitch, could it be due to having to profile the very high concentration of objectives/areas of interest and of assets in a very compact battlespace (25 sq km)? Are there ALiVE module settings that anyone can suggest to alleviate this?

EDIT:

OK ... I see AI placement in buildings is problem.

Alive can't place units in buildings (CQB module) on Fallujah or Takistan maps, is that correct? I had no success yet...
Edited by MissionCreep

No offence, but this kinda tells me you did not check the tutorials. Please do so... The only thing that can happen is that it helps you.

Here is a Link to a small PDF manual:

http://dev-heaven.net/attachments/download/21306/ALiVE%20Manual%20Compressed.pdf

I was going to post something similar. He said he knew the basics but obviously he does not. Check the tutorials or manuals to learn the basics first.

No offence, but this kinda tells me you did not check the tutorials. Please do so... The only thing that can happen is that it helps you.

Here is a Link to a small PDF manual:

http://dev-heaven.net/attachments/download/21306/ALiVE%20Manual%20Compressed.pdf

The manual more like a pamphlet or brochure. People should go watch the YouTube tutorials and download and look and play with the Arma 3 editor-ready example ALiVE missions at

Its not the basics I need a hand with, its one of the controls is not working. When I set the OPCOM to invasion, it still spawns troops all over the island rather than just near the MP module like it should.

If you are not limiting the MP module to a specific TAOR defined by a marker then it will spawn units at every objective across the map.

With regards to the actual placement in the editor of the MP module:

- set to Occupation - ALiVE will try and create the HQ (if enabled) near the module

- set to Invasion - ALiVE will attempt to place the bulk of the 'invasion force' near the module

Alive can't place units in buildings (CQB module) on Fallujah or Takistan maps, is that correct? I had no success yet...

Coming Soon....

naw it's -30C here today so just opened a window :p

The manual more like a pamphlet or brochure. People should go watch the YouTube tutorials and download and look and play with the Arma 3 editor-ready example ALiVE missions at

As the author of said manual I have to agree, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to write a full technical description of every part of ALiVE! Besides, it's quite difficult to extemporize meaningfully on "1.Place module in editor 2.Sync to other module 3.... 4.Profit!". However, your advice is the same as mine - watch Arjay's excellent tutorial videos and don't be afraid to experiment.

That said, if there is specific instruction lacking in the manual that you think should be included, please let me know - better yet, post a ticket on Dev Heaven - and I will update it for the next release.

Can I ask what the ALiVE database will be saving ?

Will it be saving say all vehicles , would it save these Objects and restore after a restart ? Or will it only be saving the players stats/ loadout ?

Thanks

No, there's been no new release therefore it hasn't yet. It will be released soonâ„¢ - when it's ready!

ALiVE Data will store player state (position, health, gear, score etc), all vehicle states (including contents), OPCOM Objectives, Profile status and ALiVE Support status (Combat Support etc). Possibly some other stuff I've not remembered. In due course it will also store movable objects so we can support player logistics modules like ACE2 and R3F Log that we had in ArmA2. All this is stored on an external database (hosted centrally) so it remains if your server restarts.

I understand, just don't read the thread often enough for an update post haha. Waiting on that to actually get into Arma III.

No, there's been no new release therefore it hasn't yet. It will be released soonâ„¢ - when it's ready!

ALiVE Data will store player state (position, health, gear, score etc), all vehicle states (including contents), OPCOM Objectives, Profile status and ALiVE Support status (Combat Support etc). Possibly some other stuff I've not remembered. In due course it will also store movable objects so we can support player logistics modules like ACE2 and R3F Log that we had in ArmA2. All this is stored on an external database (hosted centrally) so it remains if your server restarts.

Can't wait, soooo much AWESOME

Any plans for implementation of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas, Pakistan (FATA)? I just discovered is island the other night and was wowed by it.

OOOWWWWW looking forward to this

Is there any chance that at a future date ALiVE may be able to take advantage of maps it doesn't have explicitly preprocessed information about? It would be pretty cool for you guys not to have to produce metadata for every Arma 3 (and 2) map in existence in order for people to play on them.

Technically it can already and that was our original approach. However, it takes quite a few minutes to analyse and index a new map depending how big it is, so fixed indices are much faster for complex maps like Altis. Also we scrub the index quite a bit for complex maps because of the way some objects are classed, otherwise you risk getting Military Objectives defined on weird things like underwater rocks (oddly some rocks appear to be classed as 'house'). Once things have settled down and ALiVE is a bit more mature, we'll probably add the 'dynamic objectives' option back to the Placement modules, which means you'll be able to run it on any map you want.

Is it possible to delay the init of the ALiVE modules? I want do have my scripts fully loaded before ALiVE kicks in...

Next thing, ALiVE keeps spaming my rpt and killing the server fps down to 1-2 with entries like this:

Performance warning: Very large search for 1042321 (>300 m)
Performance warning: Search for 1042321: t_pinuss2s_f.p3d was very large (13890 m)

None of the markers is bigger than 300m in diameter...

Edited by audiocustoms

Technically it can already and that was our original approach. However, it takes quite a few minutes to analyse and index a new map depending how big it is, so fixed indices are much faster for complex maps like Altis. Also we scrub the index quite a bit for complex maps because of the way some objects are classed, otherwise you risk getting Military Objectives defined on weird things like underwater rocks (oddly some rocks appear to be classed as 'house'). Once things have settled down and ALiVE is a bit more mature, we'll probably add the 'dynamic objectives' option back to the Placement modules, which means you'll be able to run it on any map you want.

It would be nice if the index of a map could be compiled (and possibly edited in the editor?) prior to play by a server admin or mission designer and then saved for use later. Start indexing, perhaps on a custom map (paint in some objectives maybe with markers, etc.) go get some lunch, come back 20 minutes later, preview the mission and if everything is OK upload it to the server for use or share it elsewhere (PlayWithSix, Steam Workshop, etc.)

I'm eager to break free of this pair of Greek isles and get some custom map gaming on but don't feel like it should be the responsibility of the ALiVE devs to take on the task of making a map "compatible" themselves. :)

Any plans for implementation of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas, Pakistan (FATA)? I just discovered is island the other night and was wowed by it.

Downloading it now, indexes will be included in this or possibly next release if feasable

---------- Post added at 14:24 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------

Is it possible to delay the init of the ALiVE modules? I want do have my scripts fully loaded before ALiVE kicks in...

Next thing, ALiVE keeps spaming my rpt and killing the server fps down to 1-2 with entries like this:

Performance warning: Search for 1042321: t_pinuss2s_f.p3d was very large (13890 m)

None of the markers is bigger than 300m in diameter...

The next release version of ALiVE we have added some server side flags that you can use to fire scripts after blacklist data has been loaded (so its possible to override with your own blacklists etc) and after the profile system has converted units on the map. hopefully these changes will allow more freedom for scripters to hook into units. There is no way to delay ALiVE startup.

The performance warnings are related to a map that has been changed after the indexing was done. What map are you using? If its Altis or Stratis you need the latest ALiVE release, if its something else let us know and we can investigate.

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

It would be nice if the index of a map could be compiled (and possibly edited in the editor?) prior to play by a server admin or mission designer and then saved for use later. Start indexing, perhaps on a custom map (paint in some objectives maybe with markers, etc.) go get some lunch, come back 20 minutes later, preview the mission and if everything is OK upload it to the server for use or share it elsewhere (PlayWithSix, Steam Workshop, etc.)

I'm eager to break free of this pair of Greek isles and get some custom map gaming on but don't feel like it should be the responsibility of the ALiVE devs to take on the task of making a map "compatible" themselves. :)

It would be nice, but not currently doable. Any requests for maps to be indexed for use with ALiVE should be posted in here with a url to the download. Currently all A3, AiA A2 BIS maps have been indexed. The following third party maps have been indexed:

namalsk

fallujah

thirsk

thirsk winter

podagorsk

celle

clafghan

torabora

tigeria

tup_qom

ngs_capraia

The upcoming release of the latest version sees

Hazar-Kot added by user request

Sangin added by user request

and 3 of the 4 Iron Front maps.

Edited by ARJay

It's on Altis with Invade & Annex. ALiVE and I&A are up to date. I can run the profile system to cage the existing units and the I&A placed units without a problem. But this happens as soon as i set a TAOR-Marker, even if it's just 100x100m and the mil-placement module. I double checked it with the ALiVE showcase map without any modifications. Same problem here...

Also on this server running is XMedSys and Task Force Arrowhead Radio. I will shut those down and retest it with the showcase...

Edited by audiocustoms

It's on Altis with Invade & Annex. ALiVE and I&A are up to date. I can run the profile system to cage the existing units and the I&A placed units without a problem. But this happens as soon as i set a TAOR-Marker, even if it's just 100x100m and the mil-placement module. I double checked it with the ALiVE showcase map without any modifications. Same problem here...

Also on this server running is XMedSys and Task Force Arrowhead Radio. I will shut those down and retest it with the showcase...

You have either not STABLE but DEV branch loaded or a deprecated version of ALiVE running. Its that simple. Update to stable and use latest ALiVE and you will be fine.

Latersh

I can run the profile system to cage the existing units and the I&A placed units without a problem.

Does the profile system profile units spawned mid-mission by Invade and Annexe (or other methods) then? Or have I misread this?

This is something i'm trying to figure out

@ highhead

THX for the tip, im looking into it.

EDIT:

Reason for the low fps and warnings: corrupted installation of arma 3 on the server. I did reinstall it, all works fine with the showcase mission. Server fps @ 44 stable.

EDIT:

I'm not sure if it has been told, but AI is walking through water to get to their waypoints.

http://abload.de/image.php?img=arma32014-01-0417-41-yzjem.jpg

But after all, i love this mod! It's just awsome work!

Edited by audiocustoms