wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

I'm loving the system so far. Thank you for sharing it with us, and for taking the time to check up on the issues reported.

On that note, I have the same issue as 1PARA{God-Father}. I am attempting to create a simple mission on Stratis in the pursuit of learning ALIVE. Empty vehicles I place into the editor are briefly removed (by the profile system, I assume) and replaced. Unfortunately, this behavior isn't always so clean-cut. Sometimes, the original remains and a new vehicle is placed in the same spot resulting in both vehicles exploding - repeatedly if it continues to add the vehicle. Sometimes ALIVE moves the vehicles to new positions within the area of their original placement, and then it adds the vehicles back to their original placement resulting in double the number of vehicles originally placed. Sometimes, though rarely, it seems to work perfectly and nothing is moved/explodes. This behavior is unpredictable. I am using a vehicle respawn script on these specific vehicles, but I have not tested for any changes to or removal of init field code.

I have synced these empty vehicles to the Profile System module and instructed the module to "Do nothing with synced units." I am running mods, but they are mostly weapons and uniforms. I use Zeus AI, but I am not using ALIVE's AI Module at this time.

Also, once the system is set up to my liking (modules, markers, etc), the OPCOM system will assign missions in a highly predictable manner. With my current arrangement, my first two assignments are guaranteed to be destroy Military Cargo HQ (Green)'s (first at Mike-26, second at Tempest), and my third will be to destroy a Solar Transformer at the south end of the airbase. Both OPFOR Military and Civilian Military modules are synced to the NATO OPCOM, and the marker coverage of the OPFOR modules includes over half the island.

i've added a ticket (i think, sorry first time) on DH about the uav issue if i did it wrong let me know:o

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Also have an issue with friendly ai occupying buildings that need destroyed (per mission objective), Thanks for the help and keep up the good work.

@vagrantauthor: Are you running some vehicle mods or respawn scripts or something. I've never seen that behaviour with the vehicles.

As for the highly predictable nature I think something can/should be done there. Perhaps human groups/players are assigned tasks first and since weighting etc. is static you are always going to get the same assignments. Perhaps some randomization or something can be done to change that.

Quick reminder that the player task system is VERY alpha. It was also never really meant to be the main purpose of ALiVE since it's really up to the mission maker to create the scenario and tasks to go with it, so it will probably never be as good as what other dedicated random task generator missions put out. We do however understand that some people like this feature so will work on improving it in due course.

i've added a ticket (i think, sorry first time) on DH about the uav issue if i did it wrong let me know:o

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Also have an issue with friendly ai occupying buildings that need destroyed (per mission objective), Thanks for the help and keep up the good work.

I have responded to your ticket, please supply a link on the DH to a vanilla ALiVE mission where you are getting this issue.

I have tested it and it works.

Quick reminder that the player task system is VERY alpha. It was also never really meant to be the main purpose of ALiVE since it's really up to the mission maker to create the scenario and tasks to go with it, so it will probably never be as good as what other dedicated random task generator missions put out. We do however understand that some people like this feature so will work on improving it in due course.

I really hope that the ALiVE team continues to improve the tasking module. The tasking module eliminated the need for me to manually create tasks.

I'm really impressed with what the ALiVE team has come up with so far. Outstanding work!

Now if I could only find that 'Donate now' button.

:-)

@Delta99 - I am using Tophe's Simple Vehicle Respawn Script v1.1. I have specifically told the Profile module to ignore the vehicles in question, but something is still affecting them - even when their init fields are empty.

@friznit2 - In spite of the few problems I have encountered (most of them my own fault), the ALiVE system is very neat. I can see myself using it for quite some time.

As far as player missions go; I understand. It could be great for supplementing mission designer intent. If something could be done to increase the random aspect of these side missions, that would only serve to make the system better for its end-users I think.

EDIT: Are there any known conflicts with TMR or Task Force Arrowhead Radio? Those are the only mods I'm using (other than CBA_A3) that do more than add weapons/uniforms to the game. On the note of uniforms, I have configured the CQB module to work in the BLUFOR sector (successfully!). I immediately noticed a BLUFOR soldier walking around Maxwell in only a vest, helmet, and goggles. No weapons, no uniform. I was...uncomfortable with how close he seemed to want to be to my group at our starting location.

Edited by vagrantauthor
Question

@Delta99 - I am using Tophe's Simple Vehicle Respawn Script v1.1. I have specifically told the Profile module to ignore the vehicles in question, but something is still affecting them - even when their init fields are empty.

Would be nice if they had some checker to see if object is named like back in mso. We used mso_1 - mso_xxx. Something like alive_1 - alive_xxx on objects would stop the Profile module from doing anything with these objects.

@friznit2 - In spite of the few problems I have encountered (most of them my own fault), the ALiVE system is very neat. I can see myself using it for quite some time.

As far as player missions go; I understand. It could be great for supplementing mission designer intent. If something could be done to increase the random aspect of these side missions, that would only serve to make the system better for its end-users I think.

EDIT: Are there any known conflicts with TMR or Task Force Arrowhead Radio? Those are the only mods I'm using (other than CBA_A3) that do more than add weapons/uniforms to the game. On the note of uniforms, I have configured the CQB module to work in the BLUFOR sector (successfully!). I immediately noticed a BLUFOR soldier walking around Maxwell in only a vest, helmet, and goggles. No weapons, no uniform. I was...uncomfortable with how close he seemed to want to be to my group at our starting location.

As to your response to my bud Delta99 - We dont use any vehicle respawn on our mission and the issue persist with our mobile HQ Hemmet. It always happens when the profile handler first initializes. It profiles everything at our base right in front of our eyes and when It comes back a few seconds later it always explodes. Eventually there are a pile of destroyed Hemmets in our base. I have removed the Hemmet for now as all other vehicles are unaffected but still lose their init.

As to your EDIT I believe there is a conflict with TFAR. It seems that because they are both initializing at the mission start it can cause issues. I believe this because The mission we run flawlessly on our server no longer works in my editor. I wanted to make an updated version but I cant seem to get the modules to run properly in the editor as it always stops working after a few seconds. The same exact mission runs fine on our dedi.

The logistics module keeps giving me a popup on load that says it isn't working because it isn't synced. I have an ML module synced to each of the 3 OPCOMS I have. That is all they are synced to. Should I be concerned? Are the ML modules working?

The mission doesn't appear to be affected since once the queue is done, the various units are given objectives and off they go. But the ML modules give me a popup saying they aren't synced.

Any answer?:yay:

As to your EDIT I believe there is a conflict with TFAR. It seems that because they are both initializing at the mission start it can cause issues. I believe this because The mission we run flawlessly on our server no longer works in my editor. I wanted to make an updated version but I cant seem to get the modules to run properly in the editor as it always stops working after a few seconds. The same exact mission runs fine on our dedi.

I just realized I turned TFAR off a few days ago. It hasn't been activated since I started playing with ALiVE. The only mods I'm running (again, excluding weapons and uniforms) are CBA_A3, ALiVE, Zeus, and TMR. I have had no issues with AI behavior while using both ZEUS and ALiVE concurrently, but I have also not been using ALiVE's AI module.

When I first started messing with ALiVE, I had issues with module activation at mission start. Turns out I kept syncing things wrong. The error messages and SHOW INFO button when placing a module helped me immensely.

its very easy to have the profiler not virtualise the editor placed objects.

just set the dropdown to "Only profile synced units" on the profile module and dont sync anything to it! to be sure everything is doing its job i went through the dropdown entries and tested them - units/vehicles didnt get profiled and also werent virtualised or spawned/respawned. they were just fine. please check your version, and module settings and/or upload a repro mission (cba, alive) to our dev heaven issue tracker

pugs, one ML module per OPCOM that you want to reeinforce, and your good to go ;)

Okay, so the "not synced" popup is no worry? I mean the ML's are very clearly synced to OPCOMs and just OPCOMs.

... synced to OPCOMs and just OPCOMs.

One ML to one OPCOM only, not to several OPCOMs.

This is what the mission is setup like, the only thing you can't see are the mil_civ's that are attached to the OPCOM at the top.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/667954602187841612/13A5675310CE27B34CB9A16D06B55EF8F4E20D54/

3 OPCOMs with 1 MP and 1 ML synced to each.

Here's the popup.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/667954602187844864/3E9BDA2D3B13A61E4269A1A9FFAC16EF558F84CE/

And ML start = false

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/667954602187847945/2115845666C05CA243E14D5A5A4DF112B955CB28/

@I WUB PUGS: Make sure those OPCOM's are sync'd to placement modules (Mil or Civ) which are set to spawn units and not objectives only.

hey guys i am getting these popup errors as well.. everything is synced as it was before... and before i had NOT gotten the errors.

with the latest version in the same mission's im getting these errors..

one about ML not launching or being synced (which it is synced)

and one about MI not launching or being synced (which it is synced)

its the exact same popup as the one posted by WUB PUGS. one for ML and one for MI.

@I WUB PUGS: Make sure those OPCOM's are sync'd to placement modules (Mil or Civ) which are set to spawn units and not objectives only.

All of my Mil and Civ modules spawn units.

Edit, yeah I was getting an MI popup too, but I just dumped it until I can sort this ML issue, so fixing both would help me out since its up next.

See about 6:00 mark of Tutorial Video 4 for syncing of ML to OPCOM's.

This is what the mission is setup like, the only thing you can't see are the mil_civ's that are attached to the OPCOM at the top.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/667954602187841612/13A5675310CE27B34CB9A16D06B55EF8F4E20D54/

3 OPCOMs with 1 MP and 1 ML synced to each.

Here's the popup.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/667954602187844864/3E9BDA2D3B13A61E4269A1A9FFAC16EF558F84CE/

And ML start = false

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/667954602187847945/2115845666C05CA243E14D5A5A4DF112B955CB28/

Can you try reversing the sync direction on the ML? I think I noticed something weird with this the other day, previously I was sure that the source and target of the sync line had no effect but now I'm not so certain, so can you do a test and see if drawing the sync lines in varied directions will change anything?

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 ----------

hey guys i am getting these popup errors as well.. everything is synced as it was before... and before i had NOT gotten the errors.

with the latest version in the same mission's im getting these errors..

one about ML not launching or being synced (which it is synced)

and one about MI not launching or being synced (which it is synced)

its the exact same popup as the one posted by WUB PUGS. one for ML and one for MI.

Same as above Lord, I'm not sure if BIS have changed something in the 1.08 update that has effected the direction of sync lines, but if you could give it a try would be grand.

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

I'm loving the system so far. Thank you for sharing it with us, and for taking the time to check up on the issues reported.

On that note, I have the same issue as 1PARA{God-Father}. I am attempting to create a simple mission on Stratis in the pursuit of learning ALIVE. Empty vehicles I place into the editor are briefly removed (by the profile system, I assume) and replaced. Unfortunately, this behavior isn't always so clean-cut. Sometimes, the original remains and a new vehicle is placed in the same spot resulting in both vehicles exploding - repeatedly if it continues to add the vehicle. Sometimes ALIVE moves the vehicles to new positions within the area of their original placement, and then it adds the vehicles back to their original placement resulting in double the number of vehicles originally placed. Sometimes, though rarely, it seems to work perfectly and nothing is moved/explodes. This behavior is unpredictable. I am using a vehicle respawn script on these specific vehicles, but I have not tested for any changes to or removal of init field code.

I have synced these empty vehicles to the Profile System module and instructed the module to "Do nothing with synced units." I am running mods, but they are mostly weapons and uniforms. I use Zeus AI, but I am not using ALIVE's AI Module at this time.

Also, once the system is set up to my liking (modules, markers, etc), the OPCOM system will assign missions in a highly predictable manner. With my current arrangement, my first two assignments are guaranteed to be destroy Military Cargo HQ (Green)'s (first at Mike-26, second at Tempest), and my third will be to destroy a Solar Transformer at the south end of the airbase. Both OPFOR Military and Civilian Military modules are synced to the NATO OPCOM, and the marker coverage of the OPFOR modules includes over half the island.

The problem here lies with the options I have on the profile system module, "Do nothing with synced units." is not needed as an option I don't think as it only confuses people. Do nothing with synced units at the moment just ignores anything you have synced and profiles everything on the map. So in your case if you don't want to profile anything on the map select "Only profile synced units".

The transport combat support helicopters refuse to land on the USS Nimitz during a transport mission. Any ideas?

The problem here lies with the options I have on the profile system module, "Do nothing with synced units." is not needed as an option I don't think as it only confuses people. Do nothing with synced units at the moment just ignores anything you have synced and profiles everything on the map. So in your case if you don't want to profile anything on the map select "Only profile synced units".

ARJay, I think the way it is is fine. If people can't read or understand the options its not your fault. Also, this is useful because you might have tons of placed units that you want the profile system to pickup on except for your player group or something. This covers that and easy to just sync the one unit rather than selecting "only synced units" and having to sync hundreds of units except the one you don't want the profile system to pickup on.

If I don't want Alive to actually spawn units, just create missions, what do I do? I spawn my own units and create waypoints for them. Is it the military placement module that spawns enemies? It seems the whole map is FULL of spawned AI, even though I set it to only a 30 man pluton?