wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Yes, place as combat support vehicle, connect via terminal and good to go

Okay good. So basically its just the Buzzard and any other jet we import, like I couldn't use the F/A-18F mod to scout from the WSO seat........?

Okay good. So basically its just the Buzzard and any other jet we import, like I couldn't use the F/A-18F mod to scout from the WSO seat........?

Cuz its a jet and not an uav :)

before you ragequit, please start debug console and do a ((count allUnits) + (count allDead)) for me in variable checker when FPS are getting low.

thanks

Where should i type that ?

Heellooo.. I tried reading 20 pages first to see if this question has come up but then I got exhausted :P Soo, could it be possible to implement somekind of virtual fighting simulation for groups that are existing only in the virtual side? I tried putting two groups of soldiers run towards each other in the virtual side and when they came to the same point, it seemed that the mod randomly selects which group comes out of it alive. And the one that does come out of it alive have not lost any of their guys. And they just continue moving without any kind of delay. I cant imagine a fight between 2 platoons would last for 1 second :P Then you could actually try to allocate resources according where do you think the fight takes longest and go help out or something like this. Now they just run through.

But anyway you guys have done amazing job with this mod! I am just trying to get everything :D

The virtual fighting is semi-randomised - it's a combination of what class type plus a dice roll. We're aware they happen too quickly but it's not an easy fix without impacting overall performance but certainly something we're looking at. Since you mention it, I've logged it as a ticket on DH so it's tracker formally.

I noticed some strange things with jets, is there a future plan for how they fly in the future? I spawned 3 F35's. One flew straight towards the waypoint, the other one was in close formation behind it, the third one, flew in a near perfect circle around them while they were flying in a straight line, it was surreal.

It would be awesome if someone could someone mention what third-party factions you have gotten to work with ALiVE, and perhaps what the specific Force Faction value you used was. I'm tired of handing out whoopings to those poor Iranians. If I could make one aspect of ALiVE misision editing easier, it would be selecting a specific faction, through a drop down or something similar. A list of supported faction mods, or ones that are known to work would be absolutely stellar.

I've tried doing a minimum amount of spelunking through the Config browser, and saw that that Drongo69's "Middle East Irregulars" has an entry under CfgGroups: "drIrregulars" (which is what I used in the "Force Faction" field) with "Infantry" entry beneath it, but I couldn't get them to spawn. Using OPF_F or BLU_F seems to work okay as far as I can tell.

Would you mind describing what the process is for finding out correct values (perhaps via the Config browser) to feed into the "Force Faction" box? Failing that, and more involved, how we can edit mods to make them support the standard discovery mechanisms? I understand you've described this process in the past to certain mod authors to enable ALiVE/MSO to support them?

Forever in your debt! :)

Edited by superfluid

Where should i type that ?

in the debug console

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:00 ----------

I noticed some strange things with jets, is there a future plan for how they fly in the future? I spawned 3 F35's. One flew straight towards the waypoint, the other one was in close formation behind it, the third one, flew in a near perfect circle around them while they were flying in a straight line, it was surreal.

We are not doing anything special with vehicles once they are spawned, IE this is standard A3 AI behaviour I suppose, if you see issues maybe post a feedback ticket to BIS on the issue

---------- Post added at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

How do you get back to alive editor from "preview"?

Not sure what you mean? ESC key?

Question, all in arma + Alive - places units just fine, OPSCOM on the other hand still showing Nato etc, and errors out, any help available?

Is there any way to white/blacklist specific groups for individual missions?

It would be awesome if someone could someone mention what third-party factions you have gotten to work with ALiVE, and perhaps what the specific Force Faction value you used was. I'm tired of handing out whoopings to those poor Iranians. If I could make one aspect of ALiVE misision editing easier, it would be selecting a specific faction, through a drop down or something similar. A list of supported faction mods, or ones that are known to work would be absolutely stellar.

I've tried doing a minimum amount of spelunking through the Config browser, and saw that that Drongo69's "Middle East Irregulars" has an entry under CfgGroups: "drIrregulars" (which is what I used in the "Force Faction" field) with "Infantry" entry beneath it, but I couldn't get them to spawn. Using OPF_F or BLU_F seems to work okay as far as I can tell.

Would you mind describing what the process is for finding out correct values (perhaps via the Config browser) to feed into the "Force Faction" box? Failing that, and more involved, how we can edit mods to make them support the standard discovery mechanisms? I understand you've described this process in the past to certain mod authors to enable ALiVE/MSO to support them?

Forever in your debt! :)

Not many so far superfluid. I know that OHally got his Canadian Armed Forces to work with ALiVE, not sure I they have released that update yet. I had a look at the drIrregulars, they are probably the closest to working, the only problem there is the groups in CfgGroups don't have a side defined.

I tried SU_Russians and that one is broken due to a weird side setting ('TGuerilla' instead of side number) in the CfgFactionClasses for those.

Massi's african conflict is not working due to misnaming of factions in CfgFactionClasses vs CfgGroups.

Obviously making configs is a bit of a dark art, but if in doubt people should follow what BIS have in theirs.. so lets look at a config that works - BLU_F..

This will be the faction name used in the module fields:

CfgFactionClasses

-BLU_F

--displayName = "NATO";

--flag = "\a3\Data_f\Flags\flag_nato_co.paa";

--icon = "\a3\Data_f\cfgFactionClasses_BLU_ca.paa";

--priority = 1;

--side = 1; // Important that this side number matches the side in the CfgGroups

Now lets look at the group definitions for BLU_F faction in CfgGroups

CfgGroups

-West // Note side number 1 == West

--BLU_F // Note faction name matches the name in CfgFactionClasses

---Armored // Note all these group catagories are using standard naming convention

---Infantry

----BUS_InfSquad

-----faction = "BLU_F";

-----name = "Rifle Squad";

-----side = 1; // Note this is important

---Mechanized

---Motorized

---SpecOps

---Support

So when you tell ALiVE that you want a random selection of BLU_F infantry groups spawned, it first looks in the CfgFactionClasses to determine the overall side, Then finds the side / faction / weighting group type catagory (armored for example) and randomly selects a group from the Armored types. If any of those links in the chain don't match up no groups are found..

Well that is probably more technical than needed, but hopefully will be useful for unit modders. I will put up a page on the website as a guide when I get a few spare minutes.

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Is there any way to white/blacklist specific groups for individual missions?

We are working on getting these blacklists exposed so you can add your own, it's definately on the todo list, so stay tuned.

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

Question, all in arma + Alive - places units just fine, OPSCOM on the other hand still showing Nato etc, and errors out, any help available?

Maybe jump on the skype support channel and we can take a look? If the skype link (first page of this post) is not working, PM me your skype name and I can add you.

Drakenof, about the debug console.

Open debug console with the ALiVE key (win app key, or rebind a key of your choice to custom user key 20 and restart). In Editor preview you can press esc and the debug console appars. there is a big input box on the top and several line input fields below (those are the variable checkers) -> copy that code snippet in there!

Hope i could help, mate

HH

Great, thanks for the explanation! You're right these configs aren't super well documented. I'm still trying to get the DR Irregulars mod over the finish line... I'm totally committed :) pardon the dump here but as far as I can tell the CfgFactionClasses and CfgFactionGroups look correct, from your description and others I've seen. Am I missing something obvious? :confused: Appreciate your patience :)

As per your examples, I edited the two groups to add the side=2; entries, but it still seemed to have no effect. What's interesting to note is that if I enter a gibberish name into the Force Faction field, I seem to get my zones populated by OPFOR by default. However, entering drIrregulars causes nothing to be spawned. So it seems like it is picking up the faction in a way, but something still seems off.

class cfgFactionClasses
{
class drIrregulars
{
	icon="\drIrregulars\Flag.paa";
	displayName="DR Irregulars";
	priority=2;
	side=2;
};
};

class CfgGroups
{
class INDEP
{
	name="Independent";
	class drIrregulars
	{
		name="DR Irregulars";
		class Infantry
		{
			name="Infantry";
			class driRifleSquad
			{
				name="Rifle Squad";
				faction="drIrregulars";
				rarityGroup=0.5;
				side=2;
				class Unit0
				{
					side=2;
					vehicle="DRI_SquadLeader";
					rank="SERGEANT";
					position[]={0,5,0};
				};
				class Unit1
				{
					side=2;
					vehicle="DRI_Grenadier";
					rank="CORPORAL";
					position[]={3,0,0};
				};
				class Unit2
				{
					side=2;
					vehicle="DRI_MachineGunner";
					rank="PRIVATE";
					position[]={5,0,0};
				};
				class Unit3
				{
					side=2;
					vehicle="DRI_RPG7Soldier";
					rank="PRIVATE";
					position[]={7,0,0};
				};
				class Unit4
				{
					side=2;
					vehicle="DRI_Rifleman";
					rank="PRIVATE";
					position[]={9,0,0};
				};
				class Unit5
				{
					side=2;
					vehicle="DRI_Grenadier";
					rank="CORPORAL";
					position[]={12,0,0};
				};
				class Unit6
				{
					side=2;
					vehicle="DRI_AutomaticRifleman";
					rank="PRIVATE";
					position[]={14,0,0};
				};
				class Unit7
				{
					side=2;
					vehicle="DRI_Medic";
					rank="CORPORAL";
					position[]={16,0,0};
				};
				class Unit8
				{
					side=2;
					vehicle="DRI_Marksman";
					rank="PRIVATE";
					position[]={18,0,0};
				};
			};
			class driWeaponsTeam
			{
				name="Weapons Team";
				faction="drIrregulars";
				rarityGroup=0.5;
				side=2;
				class Unit0
				{
					side=2;
					vehicle="DRI_SquadLeader";
					rank="SERGEANT";
					position[]={0,5,0};
				};
				class Unit1
				{
					side=2;
					rank="CORPORAL";
					position[]={3,0,0};
				};
				class Unit2
				{
					side=2;
					rank="PRIVATE";
					position[]={5,0,0};
				};
				class Unit3
				{
					side=2;
					vehicle="DRI_ATSoldier";
					rank="PRIVATE";
					position[]={7,0,0};
				};
				class Unit4
				{
					side=2;
					vehicle="DRI_AASoldier";
					rank="CORPORAL";
					position[]={9,0,0};
				};
				class Unit5
				{
					side=2;
					vehicle="DRI_AutomaticRifleman";
					rank="PRIVATE";
					position[]={12,0,0};
				};
			};
		};
	};
};
};

Locally executing [getPos player, independent, (configFile >> "CfgGroups" >> "INDEP" >> "drIrregulars" >> "Infantry" >> "driRifleSquad")] call BIS_fnc_spawnGroup causes a drIrregulars rifle squad to be plopped down next to me, so that seems to work at least.

Edited by superfluid

excuse my noobness but i am excited about this and want to get into it. the problem is that the ALIVE showcase doesnt work with the new arma 3 1.8 update. any fix available ?

excuse my noobness but i am excited about this and want to get into it. the problem is that the ALIVE showcase doesnt work with the new arma 3 1.8 update. any fix available ?

Its working, just download our latest update from the download page, linked in first post!

And enjoy :)

Great, thanks for the explanation! You're right these configs aren't super well documented. I'm still trying to get the DR Irregulars mod over the finish line... I'm totally committed :) pardon the dump here but as far as I can tell the CfgFactionClasses and CfgFactionGroups look correct, from your description and others I've seen. Am I missing something obvious? :confused: Appreciate your patience :)

As per your examples, I edited the two groups to add the side=2; entries, but it still seemed to have no effect. What's interesting to note is that if I enter a gibberish name into the Force Faction field, I seem to get my zones populated by OPFOR by default. However, entering drIrregulars causes nothing to be spawned. So it seems like it is picking up the faction in a way, but something still seems off.

Those configs now look right. However I just found a bug I need to fix with our placement code for INDEP factions to get those to work properly :j: I'll see if we can get a hotfix out for this issue in the next couple of days.

Edit: you could try swapping the side over to East and see if they work in the meantime.

Edited by ARJay

You guys are so smart with your sorcerous dark arts of cfg's. Pretty exciting stuff superfluid. I hope you and ARJay get those guys working.

Those configs now look right. However I just found a bug I need to fix with our placement code for INDEP factions to get those to work properly :j: I'll see if we can get a hotfix out for this issue in the next couple of days.

Edit: you could try swapping the side over to East and see if they work in the meantime.

Hey what do you know, moving the units to East, side=0 in the config totally worked! Woot! Really appreciate your help here and fast responses. You guys are doing amazing work. I think I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend :)

You guys are so smart with your sorcerous dark arts of cfg's. Pretty exciting stuff superfluid. I hope you and ARJay get those guys working.

All the credit here goes to Drongo69 and ARJay and the ALiVE crew. I barely know what I'm doing, but it's nice of you to say so. Only one way to learn though :)

Edited by superfluid

All the credit here goes to Drongo69 and ARJay and the ALiVE crew. I barely know what I'm doing, but it's nice of you to say so. Only one way to learn though :)

So what do I do to get DRIrregulars to work with ALiVE? Im such a noob about some of this stuff. Please take it from the top. :D

Hmm. Most likely I do something wrong, but...

Whatever settings I use, OPCOM modules for two sides and ML/MI modules won't start.

I have even drawn a pentagram:

pentagram.jpg

But still get an error:

error.png

Mission is here. Can anybody help me, please?