wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Galzohar - This is possible to achieve, but a very specific requirement so not something we would add to ALiVE. An easy work around might be to stick a simple addaction on an object at the spawn location with your gear script - click button, receive gear as per script.

We make the distinction between 'respawn' (unlimited magical reincarnation of units in game) and 'resupply' (player or AI requests for new resources to be shipped to their location from a potentially finite source). So yes, it is ultimately a fancy version of the same thing, but the latter is more realistic and allows for emergent strategies such as disrupting enemy supply lines.

Manu - not giving us much to work on there. Keep experimenting and make sure you're synching everything correctly. It may help to join us Skype channel to get help and maybe share your mission with some others there so they can assist you.

Sakura - that is an unfortunate side effect of virtual groups: if they're not really there, you can't really blow them up. You'll need to send in a player as forward observer to call for fire. The presence of a player would make them spawn into the visual world so you can duly obliterate them from orbit.

Arty support is planned yes. It will support all current arty available in game. Can you elaborate on mobile arty and what you would expect here? Assuming you want to see OPCOM move its fires support assets as necessary?

Yes that too. But also for instants the independent force has no mobile artillery but they do have mortar teams which can assemble and deassemble an mortar.

Another question i got does the OPCOM prioritise targets? For example enemy artillery this can cause significant damage to certain units, or the discovery of an enemy HQ. And will different type of units get different type of orders depending on the location, target?

Overall i must say very nice first release! I hope you will keep updating for a long time :).

Edited by Speeeedy.com

Is there a safe way to give player initial gear on first connection and on every respawn, but not when he reconnects with the player persistence module? Basically, what I want is:

1. Player joins first time - Give him gear with my script.

2. Player respawns - Give him gear with my script (or give him gear he had when he died, though in the end I'd probably prefer to just use a script).

3. Player reconnects and spawns where he was when he disconnected - My script should know ALiVE is restoring his position and gear and thus not do anything.

Is this currently possible?

So far, "resupply" seems like a fancy form of "respawn", but yes, that's what I meant :)

In the end, for a persistent mission, anything that "only works once" is unfortunately not very useful :(

Galzohar,

Did you look at the settings in the Player Persistence module? You can configure it to only restore player state and not loadout. Then you can do whatever you want with gear etc. as you would normally for respawn etc.

Tup

Guys, we've just released a hotfix

- Release Build 0.5.2

* 1312021 changelog

[MAIN] Fix for module function init error seen with Requires ALiVE

[uTILS] Added compression exclusion of sqm files (Showcase fix)

Okay, maybe I'm just a total noob as I'm pretty new to editing in Arma, but in the second tutorial video, with the example of the Hunter. I can't get it to work correctly. I put in a empty Hunter GMG and I do not get the yellow box icon for it on the map, instead I get a blue Hunter icon and it does not spawn and despawn correctly. It is placed when I preview the mission, but it will not despawn at all. Any help would be great.

Try downloading the tutorial missions from our website.

http://alivemod.com/downloads/ALiVE_tutorial_missions.zip

Good luck!

But I want it to restore loadout if there was saved data. I only want to set the initial loadout, when the player joins for the first time (or when the player respawns). Is there any global variable I can check, as in some ALiVE_restored_save or something that will tell me whether the current player state is a loaded one or not, maybe along with some kind of init_done variable that will tell me the value is initialized and valid?

That way I would be able to use something of this sort:

waitUntil {!isNil "ALiVE_init_done"};
waitUntil {ALiVE_init_done};
if (!ALiVE_restored_save) then
{
execVM "assigngear.sqf";
}

As for respawn vs resupply, that is fine. My main point was that in order to use something in a mission that continues to run on the server it needs to have some sort of way to come back, or else it will just get destroyed sooner or later never to be seen again until next server restart so little point to include it in such a mission. So for CAS/Transport this is a planned feature but not yet available?

With regular resupply, will they eventually resupply back to their initial force size?

Edited by galzohar

Galzohar,

Appreciate the enthusiasm! We're not ready to expose API/functions yet, so bear with us.

Just because its early days I'll give you this nugget... :)

WaitUntil {_check = alive_sys_player getvariable "init"; _check};

if !([ALIVE_sys_player_player_data), (getPlayerUID _unit)] call CBA_fnc_hashHasKey) then {

// Do your gear thing

};

We'll look at seeing how we can integrate custom loadout scripts into player persistence (sys_player).

At the risk of sounding completely noobish...again.

Is it just me, or is it after patching to 0.5.2, units don't spawn anymore. I see them pop up on the map in debug mode using military placement, but the units don't actually show up. And to ward off the profile system question, it is set at the default.

Is it just me, or is it after patching to 0.5.2, units don't spawn anymore. I see them pop up on the map in debug mode using military placement, but the units don't actually show up. And to ward off the profile system question, it is set at the default.

I got the same issue.

We have only corrected the issue with the compression of the showcase, and a minor module function init error. Nothing else has been touched so should all be working.

We are looking into it right now.

Edited by Gunny1979

Yep, looks like something in the build process broke. We're on it.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Use 0.5.1 for now. We'll get 0.5.2 fixed and release later.

I want to ask how sophisticated is OPCOM planning at the moment? Can it be compared with HAL already or is it something to be worked on and would be improved in future versions? Thank you.

Hello,

first of all congrats on the release, I've been looking to your mod for some time and eagerly awaiting it. I'm all for SP so it's great it works also for us the non-MP crowd.

I've tested some of the tutorial missions with the 0.5.1 release, I have also installed FFIS and TPW addons along with some editor extension mod and I can say it works (even if I also had the module init thing). My rig is not the ultimate gaming machine so it takes some time to prepare the map and start assessing locations and spawning units, but then is truly awesome seeing a war erupting around and the commander giving side missions and requesting to hold positions, etc. You guys have made a good job!!

One question related to one posted before (as I couldn't test it yet): would a player-guided UAV spawn visually the virtual groups? if so, Tha could be used as FO to direct arty fire without the need of the player going into visual range.

Regards

I want to ask how sophisticated is OPCOM planning at the moment? Can it be compared with HAL already or is it something to be worked on and would be improved in future versions? Thank you.

Its not as sophisticated as HETMAN by Ryd. We wanted very much to integrate with that, but to get it working with our Profile system would have taken a massive overhaul of code - and really its Ryd's work which we didn't feel was right to change. We did do some MP improvements to HETMAN, and handed those changes back to Ryd :)

So, Highhead created a new system that is modular in its design and works with our profile system. Its in it infancy but today it does enough to have two sides attacking and/or defending. We would love to get it to the point where it does similar things to HETMAN.

It will be improved in future releases!

Cheers

Tup

^^ agree that the HAC port does a good job, but perhaps, in the fullness of time, Ryd could look at helping HAL over to Alive.

Its not as sophisticated as HETMAN by Ryd. We wanted very much to integrate with that, but to get it working with our Profile system would have taken a massive overhaul of code - and really its Ryd's work which we didn't feel was right to change. We did do some MP improvements to HETMAN, and handed those changes back to Ryd :)

So, Highhead created a new system that is modular in its design and works with our profile system. Its in it infancy but today it does enough to have two sides attacking and/or defending. We would love to get it to the point where it does similar things to HETMAN.

It will be improved in future releases!

Cheers

Tup

Thanks for detailed answer.

Would it be possible to let HAL run with ALIVE side by side? ALIVE handling spawning of units and their reinforcements while HAL would be taking those units and command them according to the classic "RydObj" triggers? I don't know if it is possible for HAL to use (de)spawned units.

Thanks for detailed answer.

Would it be possible to let HAL run with ALIVE side by side? ALIVE handling spawning of units and their reinforcements while HAL would be taking those units and command them according to the classic "RydObj" triggers? I don't know if it is possible for HAL to use (de)spawned units.

HAC/HAL/HETMAN doesn't work with our profiles system today, so no not really. You could use ALiVE without the profiles system of course. We did play around with HAC and ALiVE, but decided not to go down that route for reasons above.

HAC/HAL/HETMAN doesn't work with our profiles system today, so no not really. You could use ALiVE without the profiles system of course. We did play around with HAC and ALiVE, but decided not to go down that route for reasons above.

OK, thank you.

Vision of HAL working together with profiles system is most tempting.

From my side I can say, currently HAL is in the middle of massive code modernization. It is boring, time consuming process without any visible effect from user side (but very needed for further development), so this will take long, including current "todo" plans, several/dozen weeks or more. When this will be finished, I could at least try to figure out, how to make HAL compatibile with profiles system, of course if ALiVE team will want it and allow me, though I expect another massive amount of work with that. Frankly this system could be kind of liberation from the shackles of CPU limits for HAL, especially great solution for BigBoss, which in fact is supposed to work with amounts of units, that will kill CPU. But with profiles system may be... Wow. Still, head hurts when I try to imagine, how complex could be flawless combination of such despawned units handling with some HAL's systems, like cargo transportation, garrisoning or artillery support...

^^ Keep imagining Ryd, keep imagining !!!!

I too cry at the possibilities - 20k boots on Altis, without using a Cray Supercomputer!

Should have you in the Skype group on this, but I am merely a testing pleb.

Congrats on release ALiVE team!!

Better late than never I suppose :j:

But thanks Savage :p

Better late than never I suppose :j:

But thanks Savage :p

Bah!!! The googles do nothing!!

:rage: