Sign in to follow this  
bruhmis

mods can't be removed?

I recently started using mods and yesterday I ran into an issue where a friend couldn't join my server. I tried removing the launch parameters that were enabling mods on the server and when I do that I just get an app hang and the server never launches. if I put the mod commands back in it launches fine. so while trying to figure out what was causing this I figured I'd try joining my own server with all my mods disabled, I was able to join but the mods were still active on my client despite disabling them. when I went to the expansions screen I got this:

MnFzvUM.jpg

so despite removing the commands that were enabling the mods, they were still there. so I tried completely deleting all my mods from the game's directory. this is where it gets really weird. I've deleted literally every mod I had, removed all the keys, user configs etc. and the mods are not only still there in the expansions menu, but they're fully functional. there are no mods in the game directory nor do I have any launch parameters set, and yet somehow the game is able to load completely custom weapon packs, weapon resting, ACRE and CBA. I don't have any mods in the Addons folder either. how is the game doing this?

You have to restart for disabling mods via the in game expansion screen to take effect.

You have to restart for disabling mods via the in game expansion screen to take effect.

I have restarted a couple of times but it hasn't made a difference. and that also wouldn't solve the problem of the server not launching, or answer the question of how the content the mods rely on is no longer there but the game is still somehow loading it.

If you are using launch parameters (which will override anything you do in the options menu) or if you installed the mods incorrectly into the main addons folder you will not be able to disable those addons.

These are the only two likely reasons.

If you are using launch parameters (which will override anything you do in the options menu) or if you installed the mods incorrectly into the main addons folder you will not be able to disable those addons.

These are the only two likely reasons.

I said in the op that I have no launch parameters and that I never put anything in the addons folder. I've completely removed every trace of the mods. even if I accidentally put a couple of files in the addons folder that still wouldn't explain 11 different mods being completely functional without actually being in the game directory at all.

I said in the op that I have no launch parameters and that I never put anything in the addons folder. I've completely removed every trace of the mods. even if I accidentally put a couple of files in the addons folder that still wouldn't explain 11 different mods being completely functional without actually being in the game directory at all.

Go back to expansions, then click on the mod. Make sure its selected then click "disable". Then when you want to use them again. Select them then click enable.

Go back to expansions, then click on the mod. Make sure its selected then click "disable". Then when you want to use them again. Select them then click enable.

but that doesn't help me with the problem I have. where is the game loading the mods from? and how do I get the server to stop crashing when I try to launch without mods?

Check your arma 3 my documents folder, check, doublecheck, then recheck that your main arma 3 addons folder is completely free of mods. Not your directory. All mods should be installed with @folders created in the directory. I am literally talking about your addons folder itself.

Check your arma 3 my documents folder, check, doublecheck, then recheck that your main arma 3 addons folder is completely free of mods. Not your directory. All mods should be installed with @folders created in the directory. I am literally talking about your addons folder itself.

I just checked the documents folder and there's nothing in it aside from missions and saves. I have checked the addons folder numerous times and from what I can tell everything in there is vanilla. I installed all my mods the proper way, with @folders and launch parameters. all of those folders and parameters are now gone. even on the off chance that I accidentally installed 1 or 2 mods into the addons folder, which I promise I didn't do, that wouldn't account for 11 different mods being 100% operational.

I just took screenshots of my main directory and addons directory in case you think I'm just not looking hard enough

http://imgur.com/M43DqRc

http://i.imgur.com/pXh7imF.jpg

Edited by Bruhmis

Open your mission.sqm in notepad

Change from this:

addOns[]=
{
   "A3_Characters_F_BLUFOR",
   "cba_main",
   "A3_Air_F_Gamma_Plane_Fighter_03",
   "A3_Animals_F_Rabbit",
   "jdg_carrier",
   "JS_JC_FA18",
   "A3_Structures_F_EPA_Mil_Scrapyard",
   "A3_Air_F_Beta_Heli_Transport_01",
   "A3_Air_F_Heli_Light_01",
   "A3_Structures_F_Wrecks",
   "A3_Air_F_Beta_Heli_Transport_02",
   "A3_Soft_F_Gamma_HEMTT",
   "A3_Armor_F_AMV",
   "A3_Armor_F_APC_Wheeled_03",
   "A3_Soft_F_HEMTT",
   "A3_Soft_F_MRAP_01",
   "a3_map_altis"
};
addOnsAuto[]=
{
   "cba_main",
   "A3_Animals_F_Rabbit",
   "jdg_carrier",
   "JS_JC_FA18",
   "A3_Soft_F_Gamma_HEMTT",
   "A3_Armor_F_AMV",
   "A3_Soft_F_HEMTT",
   "A3_Soft_F_MRAP_01",
   "a3_map_altis"
};

into this:

addOns[]=
{

};
addOnsAuto[]=
{

};

Save in notepad.

Open and resave in editor.

it's not a problem with a specific mission. it's the game itself loading mods that aren't there

I just checked the documents folder and there's nothing in it aside from missions and saves. I have checked the addons folder numerous times and from what I can tell everything in there is vanilla. I installed all my mods the proper way, with @folders and launch parameters. all of those folders and parameters are now gone. even on the off chance that I accidentally installed 1 or 2 mods into the addons folder, which I promise I didn't do, that wouldn't account for 11 different mods being 100% operational.

I just took screenshots of my main directory and addons directory in case you think I'm just not looking hard enough

Then delete your addons folders, your missions folders, move out your mod folders, delete your profiles, then redownload them.

I have been approached over a dozen times from my friends with this problem and it has always been the case.

You have a file somewhere where it shouldn't be. That's all I can tell you and that's all people are going to be able to tell you unless you have something more to show us about your issue.

The first place I'd start before a redownload is your config files in the directory. Make sure it's not launching from one of those.

Then delete your addons folders, your missions folders, move out your mod folders, delete your profiles, then redownload them.

I have been approached over a dozen times from my friends with this problem and it has always been the case.

You have a file somewhere where it shouldn't be. That's all I can tell you and that's all people are going to be able to tell you unless you have something more to show us about your issue.

The first place I'd start before a redownload is your config files in the directory. Make sure it's not launching from one of those.

the mod folders have already been completely deleted so I can't move them anywhere. I just tried deleting the mission folders and profiles and the mods are still active. it's also visible that the game has made multiple duplicates of some of the mods. what I'd love to know is where these duplicates are being stored. I'd rather not delete a 10 GB folder and re download it when I'm 99% sure it won't do anything.

---------- Post added at 06:10 ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 ----------

so I deleted the addons folder and now I've redownloaded it. and now the game refuses to launch at all just like the server.

---------- Post added at 06:33 ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 ----------

I've determined that the game is automatically placing/modifying files in the addons folder without my control which is what's causing this. why is the game doing this and how can I make it stop

Original Poster, if you would like direct and immediate help you may contact me via the Skype listed on my profile. If you still have not figured this out today then I am going to assume you are getting incredibly frustrated and doing this through the forum is going to be too obscure for you to get much meaningful help. It seems you might have misperceived some of the instructions given to you by others and I think a little screen sharing while having a conversation would help clear that up.

Original Poster, if you would like direct and immediate help you may contact me via the Skype listed on my profile. If you still have not figured this out today then I am going to assume you are getting incredibly frustrated and doing this through the forum is going to be too obscure for you to get much meaningful help. It seems you might have misperceived some of the instructions given to you by others and I think a little screen sharing while having a conversation would help clear that up.

I appreciate the offer but I haven't misperceived anything. there's something wrong with my game that's causing it to continuously create duplicates of addons. every time I launch the game it creates duplicates and when I close it the addons folder increases in file size every time,even though I'm not putting anything in it and it still doesn't appear to have any non-vanilla files in it. unless you have experience with an issue like this I doubt you can help me.

Change from this:

addOns[]=
{
   "cba_main",
   "A3_Animals_F_Rabbit",
   "jdg_carrier",
   "JS_JC_FA18",
   "A3_Soft_F_Gamma_HEMTT",
   "A3_Armor_F_AMV",
   "A3_Soft_F_HEMTT",
   "A3_Soft_F_MRAP_01",
   "a3_map_altis"
};
addOnsAuto[]=
{
   "cba_main",
   "A3_Animals_F_Rabbit",
   "jdg_carrier",
   "JS_JC_FA18",
   "A3_Soft_F_Gamma_HEMTT",
   "A3_Armor_F_AMV",
   "A3_Soft_F_HEMTT",
   "A3_Soft_F_MRAP_01",
   "a3_map_altis"
};

into this:

addOns[]=
{

};
addOnsAuto[]=
{

};

Save in notepad.

Open and resave in editor.

the fuck is wrong with you people? >>"

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19582

Start launching your arma with that, and select what mods you do or dont want to start out with.

:rolleyes:

It's quite natural to try and launch mods through ingame activation process, instead of using external tools.

natural doesn't mean easier.

What are those CONFIG-files at your main A3 folder? Could those be causing this cos I don't have such files. Try deleting them.

This folder is empty as well?

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Arma 3\

This actually happened to me yesterday and got me really confused. I'm using mods since Arma 1, I know pretty well what and how yet this is first time I experienced something like this. Anyways here's what happened; I've loaded up few mods using launch parameters (through Steam), nothing new, I stopped using external launchers after Arma 2 anyways. Mods loaded up fine, everything is great. Then I exited game after playing for some time, removed launch parameters and launched the game. Surprise! Mods loaded up... I was wtf?! Exited the game, made sure no launch params are there, launched the game again, mods are loaded up...?! I managed to disable them through in-game options but there is obviously something weird going on. I will check again today if I can reproduce issue from OP.

This actually happened to me yesterday and got me really confused. I'm using mods since Arma 1, I know pretty well what and how yet this is first time I experienced something like this. Anyways here's what happened; I've loaded up few mods using launch parameters (through Steam), nothing new, I stopped using external launchers after Arma 2 anyways. Mods loaded up fine, everything is great. Then I exited game after playing for some time, removed launch parameters and launched the game. Surprise! Mods loaded up... I was wtf?! Exited the game, made sure no launch params are there, launched the game again, mods are loaded up...?! I managed to disable them through in-game options but there is obviously something weird going on. I will check again today if I can reproduce issue from OP.

I was eventually able to fix the issue but I'm still absolutely perplexed by how the game was getting the data it needed to load the mods, being that I completely removed them from my hard drive. it's not a huge issue, it's just extremely confusing.

I have the same mods appearing twice in my list. One of them is "@Nimitz" and I think it happened when I copied the contents of the latest version into the folder for the previous version of the folder @Nimitz. The mod was messed up and I went to the forums and someone mentioned explicitly to delete the old @Nimitz mod folder and copy the new entire @Nimitz folder over. After I did this, I noticed "Nimitz" appeared twice in the in-game extensions listing. Checking one of the "Nimitz" boxes and restarting puts one "Nimitz" in the (checked) loaded mods and leaves the second "Nimitz" in the (unchecked) unloaded. Since everything works fine, I've left it as is, but my "Expansions" menu looks somewhat disconcerting.

Once you've installed one addon even if removed, the game will search for the information online, when i first installed the game, and started didn't appeared anything saying loading addons, now that i've installed addons and uninstalled, the game still load some of them

---------- Post added at 08:35 ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 ----------

The arma serie are all unfinished games, that don't receive the attention needed, the only games from this company so far that i've seen receive the due attention is VBS because it's used by armed forces around the world, and it's a shame because arma 3 brought a more realistic gameplay, if i could by magic marry, A3 animations and stances with arma 2, having a more fluid game, would be the ideal because in my humble opinion A2 was one of the best titles so far

---------- Post added at 08:38 ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 ----------

They need to resolve all the issues with the game, what is being called full release is not a full release, because they still are working on campaigns, and resolving ton of issues and bugs, this is just a Beta with a little more content

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 ----------

if what i've been seen in the Dev branch come to be acomplished in every areas, and resolve every bugs, issues with physx and RV4, and help .kju with the issues he's having with All in Arma, and add a few stuff from VBS arma 3 would be the best shooting/military simulation in the world, one of the things i love is building bases, would be nice a proper 3D editor

Edited by Ckrauslo

Once you've installed one addon even if removed, the game will search for the information online, when i first installed the game, and started didn't appeared anything saying loading addons, now that i've installed addons and uninstalled, the game still load some of them...
Not my install. Maybe Steamworks is , wouldn't know. But if I remove (not even sure how you "uninstall" a Addon?) a Addon is gone. Heck I only have to remove the "@" from the Folder name, and its gone.

How do you guys add your addons? How do you start your game with addons?