Sign in to follow this  
Hydrochetta

*Petition for performance optimization patch!*

Oh really ?

In the editor in the desert @ 800x600 res ?

Cool , cool.

But what about multiplayer bro ? Domination coop for instance . Anything with a little A.I present.

@ DNK

Yes, SSD should have an impact on performance in THIS game, because for some reason this piece of software is unable to actually use your RAM for what it's supposed for, and seems to draw EVERYTHING from the hard drive.

Arma 3 says : "Whoops, got to give that house some textures ... hmm now where did i put those ... ah screw it i'll just take 5 seconds to find it on the harddrive > PLOP SCREECH CRANK, there we go" . (3 second lag)

Just like it was in Arma 2 . But then again, this game essentially IS arma 2 . Except with new skins for vehicles and weapons.

This game is like a skin-mod for Arma 2 , really nothing more.

dude what can i say, maybe go back to cod or bf, wherever you come from, and enjoy your 120 fps? Or better don't you actually kind of amusing person.

What can you say ?

Well, i can tell you what you apparently can NOT say : "Solid arguments ".

"Go back to CoD" ? LoL, really ? I mean SERIOUSLY ?

:D:D:D:

Besides, if you click my youtube link you can see i'm not CoD.

I do not really understand your response.

what I am saying is - give us an example of something in the Arma engine that BIS have specifically optimized for lower end hardware, at the expense of better hardware. Because that seems to be what you are claiming.

Even though we all know that the game is cpu bound, so a better cpu with the same view distance settings etc will run the same mission better than a slower cpu under all circumstances, and has done since Operation Flashpoint.

What can you say ?

doesn't mean your not BF eaither...

p.s. so ive clicked your youtube link, so yeah, bf all the way, enjoy your epic 120fps on epic 2km² maps, with epic 500m view distance. I'll stay with my shitty 40 fps, tiny 270km²map, crappy 3,5km view distance, and boring and "dying fast multiplayer" with 100+ people matches. I think we are done here.

Edited by NeuroFunker

What can you say ?

Jeez does someone really write like this? You know that nobody takes you seriously.

I'll stay with my shitty 40 fps

I wish I could consistently get 40 FPS...

I wish I could consistently get 40 FPS...

then you are doing something wrong mate, we have similar rigs, im able to play arma 3 on ultra 40-50 fps. Don't blame the game (only)

+1

Even though I'm sure no one's listening, I'll support the notion of a performance focused update/patch.

its not the games fault for shitty FPS. I reckon you mean playing multiplayer because in single player i get over 60FPS easily.

The problem in multiplayer is the unoptimized scripts, triggers,markers,addaction they are all loops but in a different abstraction layer (C++) they should try to optimize the controls. Instead of addaction have a dedicated action key so the loop only activates when you press the key.

Or he could be talking about SP... Just because you run the game fine does not mean others do.

I wonder too :) Petition is a good idea, let's send cookies too, I'm sure devs will like it.

Given the attitude, I'm sure as hell not sending any more money.

+1

Even though I'm sure no one's listening, I'll support the notion of a performance focused update/patch.

I hear ya. Nobody is against a performance patch ..., just as nobody is against 'world peace' or apple pie. It's a given.

But we don't develop the game, employ the personnel or create the work-product thru-put.

We can read the daily change-logs incase we're wondering what's being done overthere.

Todays 'hungover monday' patch reads:

EXE rev. 113082

Size: ~161 MB

•Added compass to all positions in Speedboat

•Fixed: Side score was displayed on the right bar even when "Multiplayer score" difficulty option was disabled

•Added list of units that are being inserted to Editor -> Insert Group

•Decreased overall helmet protection to elevate importance of headshots

•Minor downgrade of heaviest vest to be less effective against explosives

•Minor optimization of soldier ammo loadouts

•Unified squad leaders and team leaders ammo count across factions

•Unified basic rifleman / scouts magazine ammo count across factions

•Changed OPFOR Urban brown tactical vests for black ones that suits their camouflage patterns much better

•Minor optimization of ammo bearers loadouts to increase their usability

•Optimized OPFOR Urban magazine counts and assistants equipment

•Added icons for OPFOR Urban Harness vest variant

•Fixed: Showcase Night fog was not working

•Fixed: Showcase Night - player reporting first contact improved

•Showcase Combined Arms extraction chopper was not locked after players board it

•Polished material in interior and polished exterior color map for LODs of Mora

•Added: BIS_fnc_crewCount - returns number of crew positions in vehicle

•Added: BIS_fnc_importImageLinks

•Fixed: Drowning crew in helicopters

•Fixed: Visual glitch on vest / assault pack

•Fixed: Launchers - launched rocket remained in inventory

I ain't gonna tell them how to build their game.

I hear ya. Nobody is against a performance patch ..., just as nobody is against 'world peace' or apple pie. It's a given.

But we don't develop the game, employ the personnel or create the work-product thru-put.

We can read the daily change-logs incase we're wondering what's being done overthere.

Todays 'hungover monday' patch reads:

EXE rev. 113082

Size: ~161 MB

•Added compass to all positions in Speedboat

•Fixed: Side score was displayed on the right bar even when "Multiplayer score" difficulty option was disabled

•Added list of units that are being inserted to Editor -> Insert Group

•Decreased overall helmet protection to elevate importance of headshots

•Minor downgrade of heaviest vest to be less effective against explosives

•Minor optimization of soldier ammo loadouts

•Unified squad leaders and team leaders ammo count across factions

•Unified basic rifleman / scouts magazine ammo count across factions

•Changed OPFOR Urban brown tactical vests for black ones that suits their camouflage patterns much better

•Minor optimization of ammo bearers loadouts to increase their usability

•Optimized OPFOR Urban magazine counts and assistants equipment

•Added icons for OPFOR Urban Harness vest variant

•Fixed: Showcase Night fog was not working

•Fixed: Showcase Night - player reporting first contact improved

•Showcase Combined Arms extraction chopper was not locked after players board it

•Polished material in interior and polished exterior color map for LODs of Mora

•Added: BIS_fnc_crewCount - returns number of crew positions in vehicle

•Added: BIS_fnc_importImageLinks

•Fixed: Drowning crew in helicopters

•Fixed: Visual glitch on vest / assault pack

•Fixed: Launchers - launched rocket remained in inventory

I ain't gonna tell them how to build their game.

I understand. You know what though, I've been on these forums for a few years now, trying to contribute in positive ways when I can. I get it when people are not satisfied that they can't get the game to run well and sometimes the conversations get out of hand, but over the last couple of days I've been watching an increasingly poor attitude coming from people that apparently are connected or represent Bohemia Interactive in one way or another and today it made me snap. Since CWC I've bought every arma product they've produced and it infuriates me that mods and devs would issue publicly insulting statements to people that paid for the game.

Regarding that list, I know a while back it was acknowledged that there was a problem in the engine causing performance issues and I for one have seen very little in the changelogs to indicate to me that they're making a huge effort to fix the issue. Tweaking mags and all that doesn't make the game playable to me, but a good smooth experience would. People that dare speak up about the optimization issues frequently get flamed here and constantly told it's their fault, their rig, their settings blah blah blah... meanwhile the developers already publicly stated that issues exist while people that have made every effort to accomodate the performance issues and soldier on through it get insulted for opening their mouths. I've had it. It's one thing when forum members go at it over these things, it's another all together when people wearing the company's face get involved in the flaming, and as a paying customer, I'll not stand for it.

I understand. You know what though, I've been on these forums for a few years now, trying to contribute in positive ways when I can. I get it when people are not satisfied that they can't get the game to run well and sometimes the conversations get out of hand, but over the last couple of days I've been watching an increasingly poor attitude coming from people that apparently are connected or represent Bohemia Interactive in one way or another and today it made me snap. Since CWC I've bought every arma product they've produced and it infuriates me that mods and devs would issue publicly insulting statements to people that paid for the game.

Regarding that list, I know a while back it was acknowledged that there was a problem in the engine causing performance issues and I for one have seen very little in the changelogs to indicate to me that they're making a huge effort to fix the issue. Tweaking mags and all that doesn't make the game playable to me, but a good smooth experience would. People that dare speak up about the optimization issues frequently get flamed here and constantly told it's their fault, their rig, their settings blah blah blah... meanwhile the developers already publicly stated that issues exist while people that have made every effort to accomodate the performance issues and soldier on through it get insulted for opening their mouths. I've had it. It's one thing when forum members go at it over these things, it's another all together when people wearing the company's face get involved in the flaming, and as a paying customer, I'll not stand for it.

Well, this is the peer to peer troubleshooting section so...,"settings blah blah blah... " is the meat & potatos of troubleshooting.

"My fps suk!! Bis fix your game blah blah blah..." only works in troubleshooting if they want help and offer specs/setting.

If they don't want help, it's flame-bait trolling. And i wonder why the mods don't ban them out-of-hand.

As far as mods having opinions, they don't stop being forum members when they volunteer to mod the mayhem.

Tho, if you do have a problem with a mod..., pm the lead-mod or bis to complain.

As to the rest. I don't know.

Edited by Ratszo
sp.

Well, this is the peer to peer troubleshooting section so...,"settings blah blah blah... " is the meat & potatos of troubleshooting.

"My fps suk!! Bis fix your game blah blah blah..." only works in troubleshooting if they want help and offer specs/setting.

If they don't want help, it's flame-bait trolling. And i wonder why the mods don't ban them out-of-hand.

As far as mods having opinions, they don't stop being forum members when they volunteer to mod the myhem.

Tho, if you do have a problem with a mod..., pm the lead-mod or bis to complain.

As to the rest. I don't know.

Like I said, I get all that. I guess if the bean counters at BIS don't have any problem with loosing otherwise faithful customers over it then I'm cool with that too. They can try and deposit their opinions into the company's bank account, because they sure as hell won't be depositing any more of my money.

Like I said, I get all that. I guess if the bean counters at BIS don't have any problem with loosing otherwise faithful customers over it then I'm cool with that too. They can try and deposit their opinions into the company's bank account, because they sure as hell won't be depositing any more of my money.

You're making a vow, here & now, to never buy a Bis product again, because of something said in the forums?

Well, there's other games and other forums.

Oh wait, you still will be posting here right?

we will be losing people, hopefully, who don't bother to make abit constructive thread, if they want help, like Ratzo said before: we have dozen of: diz game suxx, me has 40 fps on my uber-duber highend pc!!1! So, we understand he is dissapointed, that the game runs not so well, but he doesn't bother to tell us, what ingame settings he got, is that in SP/MP, on what mission, what server, how many people are on, some even don't post their pc configs lol etc. It's more like he just want to release his own frustration, and not finding help.

Btw, arma3 facebook and steam, are full of that childish "bohemia fix your game" crap, i guess this works well, to make people not even want try arma 3, when u try to ask, what should they fix, u only get trolled.

Edited by NeuroFunker

what I am saying is - give us an example of something in the Arma engine that BIS have specifically optimized for lower end hardware, at the expense of better hardware. Because that seems to be what you are claiming.
No. I'm just claiming they didn't take into account exotic hardware when designing things and/or that exotic hardware may have issues with the bottlenecks of the game (latency/bandwidth/memory, I think). SLI/X'fire further complicate this particular issue, which may just lead to drastically lowered FPS. Likewise, 8-core CPUs won't see any major performance boost over an equivalent 4- or even sometimes 2-core since the game is mostly limited by just 1 of the CPU cores for the main thread. Given that things like SLI, >4-cores, and such are very uncommon setups, it's understandable that BI didn't spend a lot of resources on designing for them.

I don't use the term "optimize" since it's a very vague and nearly meaningless buzzword, so don't ever read that into my statements.

Also, not to mention ... a 4 core processor and 64 bit OS is NOT "exotic" hardware.

It's perfectly STANDARD. Same for SLI / Crossfire. These are not some "uber systems" or "exotic" hardware issues.

The issue is that this game can not run decently on NORMAL hardware anymore.

Where did I say 4c was exotic?

SLI/Xfire is exotic however, simply because it is more complicated than a normal rig. I can find no stats, but I assume that it's also far less common than a single card.

we will be losing people, hopefully, who don't bother to make abit constructive thread, if they want help, like Ratzo said before: we have dozen of: diz game suxx, me has 40 fps on my uber-duber highend pc!!1! So, we understand he is dissapointed, that the game runs not so well, but he doesn't bother to tell us, what ingame settings he got, is that in SP/MP, on what mission, what server, how many people are on, some even don't post their pc configs lol etc. It's more like he just want to release his own frustration, and not finding help.

Btw, arma3 facebook and steam, are full of that childish "bohemia fix your game" crap, i guess this works well, to make people not even want try arma 3, when u try to ask, what should they fix, u only get trolled.

Do you think BI will go like "Oh, this guy posted his specs! Now we know how to fix the engine problem we've been having for years!"? BI doesn't need anymore details, they just need to man up and work on it...

Do you think BI will go like "Oh, this guy posted his specs! Now we know how to fix the engine problem we've been having for years!"? BI doesn't need anymore details, they just need to man up and work on it...

whats the point in troubleshooting section then? Lets lock it! As BI doesn't need anymore details.

the bottlenecks of the game (latency/bandwidth/memory, I think)

These are not the bottlenecks of the game. CPU cycles are, and they have been for the last 12 years that I have been playing these games. My cpu is running at 4.8Ghz and it generally runs the Arma series pretty well.

There is nothing exotic about a cpu with 4+ cores and it looks like desparate fanboi-ism to try and claim that somehow this is an issue. Arma 2 ran well on an overclocked hexacore, particularly if you offloaded the AI to a headless client using one of the spare cores. Arma 3 will as well.

And if we were talking about, "poor" arma 3 optimization, somehow i'm playing arma 2 from time to time, and i'm not able to play in on very high, not even ultra, as i do in arma 3. Where arma 3 has been so much improved graphicaly and physicaly.

These are not the bottlenecks of the game. CPU cycles are, and they have been for the last 12 years that I have been playing these games. My cpu is running at 4.8Ghz and it generally runs the Arma series pretty well.
Right, and the CPU runs at 40-50% usually for me. Why is that?
There is nothing exotic about a cpu with 4+ cores and it looks like desparate fanboi-ism to try and claim that somehow this is an issue. Arma 2 ran well on an overclocked hexacore, particularly if you offloaded the AI to a headless client using one of the spare cores. Arma 3 will as well.
fanboy fanboy fanboy!

Fact is like 2% of gamers have more than 4 cores. Anything more complex and far rarer than a standard (2 and 4 cores) is "exotic" in my book. What's your non"fanboy!" definition of "exotic" when referencing computer hardware?

I'm not saying all players with these have problems, but certainly when I see these performance threads, usually there's some oddity in the rig, something that you'll never see outside of the ~3% of hardcore computer users. They're "oddities" specifically because they're extremely rare in the general gaming population. Certainly, they may seem more common because the enthusiast custom builders are far more likely to take part in forums, and far far more likely to complain if they think the game isn't living up to very high standards of quality settings (not actual quality, mind you) and FPS.