Sign in to follow this  
Hydrochetta

*Petition for performance optimization patch!*

We need to create a petition of some sort to let the developers know we want a performance optimization patch! They recently released a patch that was mostly pure cosmetics and it causes more errors than it fixed! We don't care about the size of the missiles in the cheetah, fix our FPS. I am running a $1,200 computer and I'm lucky to pull 30-40 fps. I've played with people who have titans in 3 way sli and barely get more than me, or the guy with one titan and gets more than the guy with 3 titans. Every player I have asked about this proclaims one thing, this game still feels like it is in the alpha stages. When I seen a patch for Arma 3 I cannot tell you how excited I got, then I read the patch notes and I seen you guys didn't do one thing to increase our FPS. We all paid good money for a game that is supposed to be finished, this is the problem when a company is allowed to make money off an alpha version or even a beta version for that matter. Bohemia Interactive was very well-paid for a very unfinished game, it is time you guys finish it and stop caring about cosmetic fixes for vehicles and what not, we want a real patch that has a real benefit.

I monitor the usage of my cpu and gpu and the game only utilizes 80% for about 5 minutes then it will drop down to 40-50% yielding only half the amount of FPS. If Bohemia Interactive could hotfix the resource usage to a higher % I feel this would greatly improve the performance of the game. I just provided a route to try to fix the problem, please Bohemia Interactive, try to find a solution to this. We love Arma 3, there is no other competitors in the same league as Arma 3, give us the same love that we give you.

If you agree Bohemia Interactive should produce a performance optimization patch, simply say, Aye.

-Aye

We need to create a petition of some sort to let the developers know we want a performance optimization patch! They recently released a patch that was mostly pure cosmetics and it causes more errors than it fixed! We don't care about the size of the missiles in the cheetah, fix our FPS. I am running a $1,200 computer and I'm lucky to pull 30-40 fps. I've played with people who have titans in 3 way sli and barely get more than me, or the guy with one titan and gets more than the guy with 3 titans. Every player I have asked about this proclaims one thing, this game still feels like it is in the alpha stages. When I seen a patch for Arma 3 I cannot tell you how excited I got, then I read the patch notes and I seen you guys didn't do one thing to increase our FPS. We all paid good money for a game that is supposed to be finished, this is the problem when a company is allowed to make money off an alpha version or even a beta version for that matter. Bohemia Interactive was very well-paid for a very unfinished game, it is time you guys finish it and stop caring about cosmetic fixes for vehicles and what not, we want a real patch that has a real benefit.

I monitor the usage of my cpu and gpu and the game only utilizes 80% for about 5 minutes then it will drop down to 40-50% yielding only half the amount of FPS. If Bohemia Interactive could hotfix the resource usage to a higher % I feel this would greatly improve the performance of the game. I just provided a route to try to fix the problem, please Bohemia Interactive, try to find a solution to this. We love Arma 3, there is no other competitors in the same league as Arma 3, give us the same love that we give you.

If you agree Bohemia Interactive should produce a performance optimization patch, simply say, Aye.

-Aye

its not the games fault for shitty FPS. I reckon you mean playing multiplayer because in single player i get over 60FPS easily.

The problem in multiplayer is the unoptimized scripts, triggers,markers,addaction they are all loops but in a different abstraction layer (C++) they should try to optimize the controls. Instead of addaction have a dedicated action key so the loop only activates when you press the key.

The funny thing is no one actual looks into things, they just whine. It's common knowledge BI are working hard on it, with hints at official servers fir frame rate testing.

Suppose the game isn't really optimized/designed for people with highly exotic top-end hardware? It seems the vast majority of performance complaints come from this crowd, while the budget gaming crowd has far fewer issues. I have a $400 rig, and the game plays as expected most of the time (unless there's lots of trees).

Yeah, I'd love to see an MP-specific performance patch; though MP generally runs fine for me, it does have some issues, but those could also be simply due to poorly scripted missions.

Do note that unlike most games, here the MP missions are developed by amateurs that may or may not know how to properly and optimally code an MP mission. No disrespect, but you can't expect amateur modders to produce something as streamlined and efficient as professionals. A lot of issues come down to that more than the netcode or engine itself.

Also note that there are devs working on MP right now. They've set up servers for people to join so they can monitor things and get a better idea of the issues involved with certain missions. I would expect such a patch is going to happen sooner or later, once they have the data they need. So, if you want to help, populate those servers.

So, yeah, this is kinda moot.

We feel so sorry for you, that game like arma, which has 270km² landmass, and upto 10km view distance, and 200% undersampling and pretty modern graphics at same time runs bad on your ultra highend pc.

it has been told a ton, that the game is heavily CPU limited - if you have 10 titans, that won't give you much unless you run the game on 4k display and 200% undersampling in game setting. My 670GTX 2gb, is never overloaded at 1080p HD and it doesn't make my FPS much hit, if i set MSAA to 8x or 4x in game, its nearly the same. But when i have overlocked my core i5 2500k to 4,5ghz, game runs smooth even on pretty heavy scenarios. It has been told, that multiplayer FPS may be 1, with xenons and 10 titans, when the server you join in a) runs on bad hardware, b) runs badly optimized mission scripts. c) i'm playing 100 man multiplayer matches with a clan, on a server with 2ssds, 1gig net, corei7 4770 not even overclocked, and magicaly nobody has bad performance or lags, unless hes hardware is just to old. The missions are very simple, few objectives and markers, no useless scripts 1 life rule. I wish you luck, in finding a good server.

So before making any petitions, you should read some more perhaps, what people say.

BIS aren't stupid, they know that they need to try and push out every frame they can, especially in MP. But that doesn't mean they can just spend some money press a button and it happens. These things take time. And unfortunately no petition is going to change that. Even if you have millions of votes and gave a good chunk of money I doubt it would change much. What they need is time. Give it to them.

There has been FPS increases as well as decreases throughout development. And as mentioned multilayer fps isn't bad if the mission is simple enough.

Suppose the game isn't really optimized/designed for people with highly exotic top-end hardware? It seems the vast majority of performance complaints come from this crowd, while the budget gaming crowd has far fewer issues. I have a $400 rig, and the game plays as expected most of the time (unless there's lots of trees).

A good point. I too really can't complain about performance besides in certain multiplayer servers where my fps gets dragged down by the server. I am running arma on a laptop.

My computer is from ~2009, fairly old, wasn't a Rocket when I constructed it (had to wait 6 months! - for the Video card, then they told me, they won't sell it anymore, and made it with a new article number and 100 bucks more expensive then before).

It contains an I5-750 (2,66Ghz 4Core), 2x2GB DDR 3 (1333Mhz), ATI/AMD HD5870 and a Kingston SSD 64GB.

I can play it at around 20 to 35fps pretty well for my system with good optical quality.

I'd be interested in the settings the guys with their newer computer have.

I mean, some settings perhaps aren't even meant to be set up to the highest at this time yet.

Often, settings are meant to be used later on, when more powerful systems are available, and not just for the release date.

Example - Operation Flashpoint can get low fps if you set the landscape to the top (even if you won't notice a quality difference anymore) even with newer systems

My two cents :)

They recently released a patch that was mostly pure cosmetics...

Please remember that BIS employees, much like employees anywhere, work in different positions. Unless we're talking about a small indie start-up you can be sure the person who does cosmetic stuff (art) is not the same person who does the optimization (programmer).

Yeah because its really that straight forward to release an optimisation patch....

Yeah because its really that straight forward to release an optimisation patch....

It is, people just need to enable these startupparameters:

-removeAllBugs -enableHighPerformance

It can't be more straight forward than that.

Myke;2566117']It is' date=' people just need to enable these startupparameters:

[/quote']

I just tried those and they seem to have increased my fps at least 50%! It was 15fps on this one server I played on 4 months ago and now with those parameters it's 120fps! Thanks!

It can't be more straight forward than that.[/quote']

Dont be pathetic. Many mods have better scripts than official modules in ArmA 3. I can understand cash grab, developers need paychecks. I can understand " shitty Singleplayer to grab CoD and BF kidz " but guyzzzz....

OP, I think you might be RAM limited. Try visiting http://downloadmoreram.com/ to download some more RAM.

:cool:

But seriously!? A petition to make BIS patch the game to have a magical FPS increase? Don't you think that if they knew HOW to do that, they would have already done it? Do you really think BIS is evil and holds their secret FPS boost patch in a safe, maybe they even get paid by Nvidea, so they can sell more Titans?

I'm not saying that there is no need for improvements, but I really wonder how people can be so naive to think this is something that the devs can just patch if we tell them to. (OFC they can if they remove all the features that makes the game stand out above the rest)

Let us step back for a moment and think about it.

There are people having problems with performance.

There are BI devs lurking around these forums. If you're quite enough, you might see one. Consider yourself lucky, they're very shy and difficult to spot.

So, chances are that BI knows about the issue(s).

So what seems more legit: BI knowing about it and not care, risk bad reputation and loss in sales? Or working on improvements to satisfy the custommers (which is an impossible task anyway, i mean satisfying customers) silently, knowing if they communicate about it that above mentioned customers (which will never be satisfied) will come back like "but you said it will be ready soon and that was 5 seconds ago, how long do we have to wait again?"?

Sooooo.....what do you think is BI doing?

Myke;2566160']Let us step back for a moment and think about it.

There are people having problems with performance.

There are BI devs lurking around these forums. If you're quite enough' date=' you might see one. Consider yourself lucky, they're very shy and difficult to spot.

So, chances are that BI knows about the issue(s).

So what seems more legit: BI knowing about it and not care, risk bad reputation and loss in sales? Or working on improvements to satisfy the custommers (which is an impossible task anyway, i mean satisfying customers) silently, knowing if they communicate about it that above mentioned customers (which will never be satisfied) will come back like "but you said it will be ready soon and that was 5 seconds ago, how long do we have to wait again?"?

Sooooo.....what do you think is BI doing?[/quote']

Ignoring it and hoping it never builds up enough steam to bite them in the ass before the next big project.

Myke;2566160'](...)

Sooooo.....what do you think is BI doing?

I wonder too :) Petition is a good idea, let's send cookies too, I'm sure devs will like it.

It can't be more straight forward than that.[/quote']

Because of that post this forum should get a "Thank you" button!

You made my day, I might tell this my capo the next time when he comes whining because he sold our program for a feature which didn't exist until the future^^

Part of the problem is PC-gaming. A multitude of configurations that can't be tested all at once. I have a mere Athlon X4 640 and still manage to use Ultra settings in video (Videocard AMD 7850 and 12 GB ram). My problems begin when scripts are run within a mission or when there are many AI units in the map. That's understandable in my honest opinion because my processor isn't the fastest one. Online gaming differs from server to server. The speed of the server is the bottleneck when using a large number of scripts in a mission. That reflects on the clients performance as well. I haven't used the option of headless clients yet but perhaps this will help with server performance.

This last month my performance has improved a lot with every new build so they are on track. :)

I wonder too :) Petition is a good idea, let's send cookies too, I'm sure devs will like it.

Hookers & blow?

Dont be pathetic. Many mods have better scripts than official modules in ArmA 3. I can understand cash grab, developers need paychecks. I can understand " shitty Singleplayer to grab CoD and BF kidz " but guyzzzz....

i can understand nothing you just said. cod, kidz, huh...

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

I just tried those and they seem to have increased my fps at least 50%! It was 15fps on this one server I played on 4 months ago and now with those parameters it's 120fps! Thanks!

oh yes, if i just knew that perameters exist! 220 fps now!

That's a really good idea! I'll get straight on packing these cookies up for the postm- Waaait a minute!

its not the games fault for shitty FPS. I reckon you mean playing multiplayer because in single player i get over 60FPS easily.

The problem in multiplayer is the unoptimized scripts, triggers,markers,addaction they are all loops but in a different abstraction layer (C++) they should try to optimize the controls. Instead of addaction have a dedicated action key so the loop only activates when you press the key.

Surely it must be our fault, servers can impact FPS in the first place.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

Myke;2566160']silently' date=' knowing if they communicate about it that above mentioned customers (which will never be satisfied) will come back like "but you said it will be ready soon and that was 5 seconds ago, how long do we have to wait again?"?[/quote']

There's no excuse for silence. We were promised a performance blog like 5 months ago?

....There's no excuse for silence. We were promised a performance blog like 5 months ago?

Promised? Really?