Sign in to follow this  
bvrettski

Arma needs more arcade-like options....

I'm suggesting only that the mission designers should have a range of options in their toolkit when they approach how their mission will function...and that BIS could help us a ton by making these options easier to incorporate into a mission.

Bis has a proprietary engine and brand recognition to foster and protect.

There is a limit..., F.U.B.A.R.

I would still like to see a side-by-side and detailed comparison of game lobbies and what exactly the OP et al. desire. I haven't played BF/COD in some years, so I might not be in-touch with the newest lobby features... Until now I hadn't really considered it an issue, though.

I don't play COD either, but Battlefield hasn't had a decent server browser in the history of the series, so I wouldn't use it as a benchmark. As far as server browsers go, though, Arma's is pretty bad. It updates slowly and has issues with displaying ping properly.

Beyond that, the scoreboard is definitely lackluster, most of them have scroll bars for large player counts these days. I don't necessarily see a problem with the lobby itself, though. The inventory system is still kind of clunky, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. I'd say the biggest problem with the GUI right now is still the action menu, which is dated to say the least. I really can't see a reason why there isn't a universal action key and the ability to switch weapons with the number keys. Sakurachan's Keys addon looks like it's going to be taking things in the right direction, but weapon switching is still going to be needlessly clunky, and Keys almost certainly won't be usable on many multiplayer servers.

As for weapon switching, it would be cool to see something like ACE's system of selecting your primary with Shift+1, GL with Shift+2, pistol with Shift+3, and launcher with Shift+4. It went something like that anyway.

Edited by roshnak

... same goes for sector modules it seems.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159426-The-new-Sector-Module/page6 read the last two posts.

Could have sworn the sector modules were JIP friendly after a recent test. Going to do more tests though as I don't necessarily doubt your claim. Here's a small game mode with the sectors if you're interested in performing some tests of your own.

yea that info might be outdated. so that's great news then! now do the tasks BI! :D

my interpretation of the OP here was that things like that should be increased. and if that is what he meant, i totally agree. i remember also a ticket by KillZoneKid about opening up the mission "boot process" for mission designers. if we will be the ones making the modes then i'd like to see more freedom at least. that damn map screen is useless 90% of the time. i'd rather make my own dialog with map animations to explain the mission goals in a less static way. it's not so much about the lobby being not functional but being stuck with it 100% of the time. it would be great to be able to "greet" new players in a different way and maybe be able to direct them into the right role for them instead of giving them a dry list that often results in badly filled squads and needed roles not being picked.

Playing/loving ArmA since 2009. Ok, we can discuss about everything.

I dont know others but i came to ArmA because i love, f**cking love SIMULATION gaming.

Please, don´t use the "arcade" term here , make me feel so sad...

recruit mode = arcade

regular mode = arcade

veteran mode = arcade

elite = not arcade

3-1

Not quite sure we need any more arcade options

Seems we need more none arcade options

I like the amount of posts ITT that are people clearly not reading the actual post and are just seeing the title

it's a poor title no doubt but calling for improved UI elements is not a bad thing in anyway shape or form

No, man. If it's too polished, the game might get popular or something.

Arcade is the wrong word here.

Arma 3 lacks character and i think the reason why DayZ became popular was not the zombies, or the survival. (wasteland also has survival). Its because it mattered. Drinking cola mattered. dying mattered. Getting eaten by zombies mattered.

The reason why it mattered was because of the effects.

If you got eaten you heard people scream. If you got shot you started bleeding. If you drank a cola you heard a satisfying "pop".

In arma 3 if you die you don't scream, you don't see blood. You just fall down in ragdoll.

For a war experience its way to boring. A new UI wont change that

no, man. If it's too polished, the game might get popular or something.

^ Well said.

why do you come to a semi realistic game wanting it more arcadish, instead of just going to more arcadish games instead? that would be easier and they are layed out better for that

No, man. If it's too polished, the game might get popular or something.

This +1^^^^^

The Arma UI is like Microsoft Excel...boring unless your an accountant or the gaming equivalent.

why do you come to a semi realistic game wanting it more arcadish, instead of just going to more arcadish games instead? that would be easier and they are layed out better for that

What he said.

Some of the suggestions are alright, like on MP it's kinda lousy besides coop in nice and tidy groups. Also, the idea for making the scripts and modules and things for mission makers if not changing the game UI itself is nice.

Actually read the first post, not just the title. Arma is an ok game with plenty of potential, but it's not inviting in the slightest, which is a pitfall, which is what he means, if I'm not mistaken.

Arma is an ok game with plenty of potential, but it's not inviting in the slightest, which is a pitfall,

Potential? Judging by the hundreds of communities and dozens of overflowing open servers I've seen, I'd say this series has more than potential. And it may not be inviting to people who are looking for pretty colors and fancy interfaces like those seen in games like Call of Duty and Battlefield (which really don't seem that great to me anyway), but, like another guy said, an interface is there to let you get into a game and play -- yes, I think it has some importance, but I think the quality of the gameplay is much more valuable.

Dozens of populated servers is not that many. Many games have hundreds of populated servers and games that are really flourishing have thousands of populated servers.

Also, don't be fooled by how minor UI decisions seem. It doesn't matter how good a game is if the UI is so frustrating to navigate that people quit before they actually get into the game. Call of Duty and Battlefield may not seem that great to you, but it's worth considering that one thing I've never done in those games is planted a bomb instead of getting into a car (and I'm certainly not new to the action menu).

Arma needs to be more fun. There I said it. I know this will be a very contentious subject especially around the long time Arma faithful but I think its a worthy discussion to have.

No need to worry about arma vets,most of them have quit already :D

Also, don't be fooled by how minor UI decisions seem. It doesn't matter how good a game is if the UI is so frustrating to navigate that people quit before they actually get into the game. Call of Duty and Battlefield may not seem that great to you, but it's worth considering that one thing I've never done in those games is planted a bomb instead of getting into a car (and I'm certainly not new to the action menu).

good point, +1 to you, sir.

To those who would oppose any prospect of more "arcadiness" I would suggest that fearing difference in your Arma experiences makes no sense to me and whats the worst that can happen? Arma draws in more players who aren't necessarily looking to play the way you do? That already happened with DayZ. The beauty of Arma is that what succeeds does so on the merits of the mission design and player popularity.....so lets have better and more options...not more limits.

Arma survived on being a game that appealed to the sim communities and people wanting realism. We should not be whinning about making the game more arcade. Arma is as much a "Sandbox" as VBS2 is. In Fact VBS has more sandbox like elements than Arma 3 does. Copying what COD, BF and other arcade games do will arcade like is wasted resources. No arcade player will ever have fun in Arma without some amazing total conversion mod. Many players feel alienated by BI already and feel that Arma 3 is on a direction to a more arcade like game. BI needs to move towards the VBS3 direction and gain back this portion of the communities trust. Asking for the game to be more arcade like will never make anyone happy. Making it more sim like will because those who do not like it can go play an arcade game, but those who want realism are stuck with Arma. A better UI is fine. The game is more fun for a large portion of the community when realistic, it's not a "sandbox" as you say. It's a combined arms simulator that's lost it's identity.

More realistic options > More arcade options.

No arcade player will ever have fun in Arma without some amazing total conversion mod.

Really? I've been playing games in this series since Operation Flashpoint. During that time, I've also been playing Battlefield, Day of Defeat, Counterstrike, Natural Selection, Left 4 Dead, Payday, Sim City, Minecraft, Unreal Tournament, Falcon 4, and Neverwinter Nights, among other games. Do you see where I am going with this? There is no reason that people cannot enjoy both Arma and Battlefield. Playing this game does not make you special. It's a video game, not a cult.

And guess what: There are things that so-called "arcade" games do better than Arma. For example, there are "arcade" games out there that do a better job of simulating the operation of small arms than Arma, which you would think would be a pretty big focus for a simulator.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if Arma was more accessible to new players, if they didn't have to scroll through dozens of keybindings (many of which are left over from previous games) to change their controls, or if they could open a door, or get in a car, or pull out their pistol without scrolling through a list of actions with their mouse wheel. I know people who would be plenty interested in Arma if it wasn't so horrendously clunky. They don't like that they get stuck on tiny bits of scenery when they move, or stuck in doorways, or that it's possible, common even, to fall through the floor or stairs of a multistory building. There are aspects of Arma that haven't been changed in over a decade. Do you think it would maybe be okay if this series stepped into the modern age?

I think the main problem is the wording of this thread's title. Everyone who has posted here has said very little about "arcade" options, which, at least for me, conjures up images of run and gun CoD/BF style gameplay. I do agree that interface and general gameplay could be greatly improved -- I still find myself frustrated with the stuck-in-molasses feel of movement in ARMA2, and I want to scream sometimes when I want to rush through a doorway quickly and end up pulling out my sidearm instead of opening the door.

No arcade player will ever have fun in Arma without some amazing total conversion mod.

Rubbish....

Go play the Agia Deathmatch mission by Murciela

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=185350705

This a great example of how flexible the game and the engine can be. Granted its deathmatch and its appeal to the dedicated Arma player is lessened by this fact but it illustrates how the game is suitable to faster more intense action as well as wide spread, protracted, tactical combat.

The flip side of this is that he codes everything by hand. Doesn't use the editor therefore no newbie to mission creation could pull off what he does here in this mission. My intitial post argues for these kinds of options, tools , plugins, mods...whatever is needed so that a player can pick up the game and get right into good quality mission creation with better user interface options that dont require a degree in coding from your local college. With better tools we would have better missions and a better game.

Instead some people glue themselves to the concept that Arma is just the product they want and it can only be that. It has to be narrowed, pidgeon holed and locked into being a slow paced tactical shooter with such a minimal interface that the prospect of having "Fun" or being called a "Game" never enters the players mind. It should only be played by "serious gamers." This is the kind of thinking that keeps the game small, limited, and positioned in a nitch market rather than being free to go toe to toe with other AAA titles. Too bad in my opinion.

I'd like to see BI hire this guy (and others) to make us 10 good quality missions.

Title: DM4+, Agia Marina

Type: DM (Free for all)

Number Players/AI: 1-16

Island: Stratis

Description: Medium size deathmatch mission located in an urban area, Agia Marina. The mission is fully loaded with cool features and quality details. This mission allows server admins to activate enemy AI. You can use this DM mission as a regular DM mission and in addition you can use it to train yourself or to wait for your colleagues on your own server! (The mission has been created with the idea of being Pc friendly and Network friendly!)

VIDEO:

Bohemia Interactive Studio forum: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?155118-Death-Match-4-Players-AI

Deathmach 4+ mission system features:

. Safe Respawn System:

Players will always randomly respawn inside buildings. No more respawns on front of enemies or getting stuck in objects.

. AI Units:

This new version includes AI units as mission parameters so now you can pick: Number of AI units, units side and units skill! By default AI units are disabled so this new formula is perfect for dedicated and non dedicated servers. A unique system manage AI units, AI units:

. will be "recycled" if they try to leave the battlefield area.

. will have the same weapons and attachments than players.

. will use lasers and lights!

. Weapon Menu:

The new weapon menu allows you not only to pick your weapon, sights, side attachment and silencer it also allows you to see the weapon and your avatar. DM4+ missions contains all the weapons and attachments but they can also be restricted to a group of weapons or a single weapon (With or without attachments) by using the mission parameters. This menu system is very solid and it is very easy to update or modify it!

. Dynamic Score System:

This feature increases the competition factor a little bit more as in DM4+ missions you must be the first one to rich the maximum points to win the match. Players will not only see increase their score... Always, the current best player name, his/her score, your score and the points needed to win the match are displayed. Player's score will be reduced if they die and Death Penalty feature is on. Death Penalty is on by default but it can be disabled by a mission parameter.

"Get ready for real competition!"

Backpack System:

To make the things more interesting I added backpacks! Backpacks are generated at the center of the map and players can take them and delivery them to specific point at the map. If they bring the pack to the specific spot marked on the map they will receive extra points! This feature is off by default but it can be enabled by a mission parameter (Backpacks are only visible on the map when no one carries them)

Strike System:

The strike system will allow you to drop an strike over the area you marked previously on the map. To be able to use a strike you must kill 2,3,4... enemies in a row! (This number is defined by a mission parameter) The kills achieved with it will be added to your score thanks to a tiny smart system!

Winner Camera:

This allows to every player to see a camera that shows the last winner kill and then the camera will travel to the winner of the match! (Camera duration can be modify by a mission parameter)

Knife Kill System:

This feature allows melee kills. The melee kills will be added to your score thanks to a tiny smart system! You can receive a point once you stab an enemy and another extra point for finishing the enemy off! Better served with Death Penalty on!

Anti-Camper System:

This feature can make the match a little bit more competitive as campers will be punished if they stay at the same spot for long time.

Solid Scripts:

I'm proud to say that many people has been able to notice the great performance of my DM4+ mission system. Thanks to all of them in advance as they helped me to achieve this goal, create high quality solid deathmatch missions.

This missions work so well that they only have a 5% FPS loss! That means that they have a tiny impact on the game performance even when this mission uses some extra features... Because I'm so proud of this achievement I created the FPSe (Frames Per Second Efficiency) logo and the DM4+ system has a 95%+ FPSe this is why you will notice the difference when you play a DM4+ mission. Please, check the FPSe or FPS loss of other missions... ;)

I spent long hours not only creating new scripts and systems... I also tested them many times... This is why they not only work with no issues... They do exactly what they need to do. Like all my missions, they are not only missions... they are examples of what you can achieve with Arma!

Thanks to all the people who helped me with the testing process and/or to everyone who contributed giving me ideas: [MIC] Flet, [88] Kinno, Chakalt, SGswift, 88th.es, -=Borz=-, Zeep, WCG, Scoggs, dale0404, Johnlol, jungleNZ, Delta99...

Special thanks to all the people who send me e-mails and/or comments to thank me for the work and the performance of my missions.

"A camel is a horse designed by a committee"

Mission created by Murcielago

12th October 2013 (Oxford, UK)

Edited by Bvrettski

That's something for modders and mission makers to do not BI^

BI should keep catering to the fans of the niche market and not sell out like every other arcade game has. It not fun to play a game that tries to make everyone happy. It's best to be unique with their niche sim like market. What you want to play is called COD/BF.

I know arcade games have better simulation in areas, these would be awesome. The game doesn't have to be dumbed down or unrealistic for it to be easy for new players to get into. People have made great mods with the Arma they called a military simulator and not some balanced and dumbed down game.

You probably hate to know with the right caliber you can kill people on the other side of multiple buildings.

Things like Thermal Imaging I get, BI needs to overhaul it to be more like VBS2 because it would be harder and more fun to use. BI should not however balance the game for the mission maker ever. BI should never make Arma about kills, k/d and all those other things that plague arcade games as the mission designer can do this themselves.

---------- Post added at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 ----------

I think the main problem is the wording of this thread's title. Everyone who has posted here has said very little about "arcade" options, which, at least for me, conjures up images of run and gun CoD/BF style gameplay. I do agree that interface and general gameplay could be greatly improved -- I still find myself frustrated with the stuck-in-molasses feel of movement in ARMA2, and I want to scream sometimes when I want to rush through a doorway quickly and end up pulling out my sidearm instead of opening the door.

He keeps bringing it up fighting for Arma to compete with COD and BF. And you think Arma 3 as a twitch shooter is better? Why not allow people to turn off inertia. Because some people don't like swinging a sniper around like it weighs nothing.

What's funny is he thinks these features should be arcadish when VBS shows us how to add things like hand to hand combat, knives and other stuff.

Edited by ProGamer