Sign in to follow this  
bvrettski

Arma needs more arcade-like options....

arcade wouldn't suit the game, it would be like adding Microsoft paint to Photoshop.

But I get where your coming from..

^ You should really look for a community. Pubbing is a miserable way to get the experience you're after. I'd personally recommend 15th MEU.

that's precisely what I don't want to do :D I want Arma 3 to be a perfect game for public multiplayer

I'm your savior! Check out my arcade HUD! On a serious note, I can agree with the OP on some points. Though the thread title is very misleading.

I saw it built into Warfront...nice stuff...

One thing I believe Arma needs is to have some strong PvP multiplayer mode out of the box. I see this a lot in video gaming channels on YT - people try to play Arma online, go to the server browser and encounter all sorts of things and it looks like a mess and hardly any fun (Life and Wasteland being the main culprits). Most newcomers to the series expect the game to have the same basic functionality as BF/CoD where you just hop into a multiplayer match and have some fun. Currently it's not possible. If you have a couple of friends you can easily get some missions from the workshop and start having a blast, but a lonely newcomer will only get frustrated. I checked the server browser today - mostly passworded servers and only Wasteland-like stuff being available for someone who just wants to quickjoin, and obvioulsy they do not have a clue what is going on.

The way I see it, there should be domination-like gamemode on fairly limited areas where you select your loadout via a paperdol menu, spawn and get into the action. Basically what I mean is a standard mode like the ones in say Battlefield, but just that. Gameplay does not need changing (players will figure out how shooting people works here fast), this should never become Battlefield, but it should provide similar functionality to someone who does not have a clue what Arma is all about.

One thing I believe Arma needs is to have some strong PvP multiplayer mode out of the box. I see this a lot in video gaming channels on YT - people try to play Arma online, go to the server browser and encounter all sorts of things and it looks like a mess and hardly any fun (Life and Wasteland being the main culprits). Most newcomers to the series expect the game to have the same basic functionality as BF/CoD where you just hop into a multiplayer match and have some fun. Currently it's not possible. If you have a couple of friends you can easily get some missions from the workshop and start having a blast, but a lonely newcomer will only get frustrated. I checked the server browser today - mostly passworded servers and only Wasteland-like stuff being available for someone who just wants to quickjoin, and obvioulsy they do not have a clue what is going on.

The way I see it, there should be domination-like gamemode on fairly limited areas where you select your loadout via a paperdol menu, spawn and get into the action. Basically what I mean is a standard mode like the ones in say Battlefield, but just that. Gameplay does not need changing (players will figure out how shooting people works here fast), this should never become Battlefield, but it should provide similar functionality to someone who does not have a clue what Arma is all about.

I totally agree with every word you just said. MP is a bit of a mess in it's current state and newcomers will be discouraged. Quick Team vs team battles on limited parts of the map are needed. Sorry but the king of the hill games get boring quick.

The lack of true multiplayer in A3 is at the root of this discussion and I agree with you. I have been trying to vocalize the need for officially supported gametypes from BIS. In my mind these need to be easy to play , fun, playable across the official maps and easy to host.

Its always seems the diehard faithful are resistant to anything from BIS on this front. I'm not really sure why. Maybe its the weak efforts of the past (a2) or they fear that the openness of the game might disappear. I think in the long run the game could only prosper and grow with a well built foundation like you described.

Edited by Bvrettski

I think that official gametypes are far less of a factor than multiplayer performance.

They didn't make their game as a "make of it as you will" type game. And quite frankly, neither is Arma 3.

You're wrong there. ArmA can easily be played arcade, and modders can add all that bullshit.

The community is better off without people who demand 'sexy and exciting' game lobbies, though. Let them wank over the new Xbox interface.

You're wrong there. ArmA can easily be played arcade, and modders can add all that bullshit.

The community is better off without people who demand 'sexy and exciting' game lobbies, though. Let them wank over the new Xbox interface.

Get off your high horse. You talk of yourself as if you were better than other people. Because of better game lobbies?!

People like you are cancer to game communities.

i dont' want to see the word arcade in a sentence where the word arma is present

Get off your high horse. You talk of yourself as if you were better than other people. Because of better game lobbies?!

People like you are cancer to game communities.

I think he means making it more accessable/like lobbies from games like battlefield or COD will draw in those players and change Arma to become more arcade like because they will become the majority.

F**K arcade, that is all.

Plus ONE MILLION!!!!

If you want to play a fucking arcade game... GO TO AN ARCADE......

i dont' want to see the word arcade in a sentence where the word arma is present
Plus ONE MILLION!!!!

If you want to play a fucking arcade game... GO TO AN ARCADE......

Or hop into the arma editor and set up a close quarters TDM with med packs along with making an arcadish UI. What's it matter how others want to play Arma in any case? Again... there seems to be a fear, that someone may do something IN Arma, outside of what people think Arma is supposed to be. That's just limiting your options. We don't need limitations :)

Edited by Iceman77

Arcade ... that word should be automatically replaced by asterisks in this forum. :mad:

I think he means making it more accessable/like lobbies from games like battlefield or COD will draw in those players and change Arma to become more arcade like because they will become the majority.

I'm absolutely not opposed to COD and BF players in ArmA.

I just think that gamers who require a sexy game lobby in order be satisfied are not serious people who fit in with the community, and the devs should waste absolutely no effort or resources catering to them.

Or hop into the arma editor and set up a close quarters TDM with med packs along with making an arcadish UI. What's it matter how others want to play Arma in any case? Again... there seems to be a fear, that someone may do something IN Arma, outside of what people think Arma is supposed to be. That's just limiting your options. We don't need limitations :)

then these comments show up about "fear" or "how arma should be played".... However, the OP was talking about BIS providing these tools (which already exist there called a brain, willingness to learn, and last but not least effort!!!) the first post makes an indication that the game should be less "Sim" and more Arcade". where then they go on to elaborate on BIS providing scripting and functions etc (which they aready do) to facilitate his wishes....

I am all for the OP taking up his keyboard, heading to the search bar on BIS_Forums, and See how easy OR hard it is to get the game to do what he wants..

From what it sounds like he wants a fancy Avatar selection screen (comments about boring lobby), Some hoytie-toytie user interface that looks really pretty around the edges.. With lots of color , and flare... All that is totally doable by config-ing in what you want to do in a @Mod... but this armaholic was talking about BIS doing it for them.

I stand by my statement... If you want and "arcade" game go to an arcade... but ill amend it with ... BUT, if you want to make an @Arcade for Arma 3.. Please DO IT!!! It would be fun to see what kind of game modes you could make... There are a lot of games that are out that could be emulated within Arma as a Mod.. Its just execution and how you go about incorporating the idea into the current game engine..

I just think that gamers who require a sexy game lobby in order be satisfied are not serious people who fit in with the community, and the devs should waste absolutely no effort or resources catering to them.

It is not a desire for a "sexy lobby" but for one that isn't 10 years old! Make things easier, or at least clearer, should be a concern for the team taking in consideration that Arma is already a mess with mods, missions and things spread all over the place.

Also, how many years you've been playing Arma? You are already used to it, probably don't see the shortcomings of it anymore.

This is something that the community can't mod, which may explain the stagnation.

I'm absolutely not opposed to COD and BF players in ArmA.

Yea, it's useable at the moment. But someone make this ticket here: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=13784 that would allow mission makers to creat their own lobbies.

It is not a desire for a "sexy lobby" but for one that isn't 10 years old

Actually I think it is a desire at least from the OP, and these are the expected responses he gets, the post was written in such a way to cause confusion or request arcade by stealth, he's talking about the game as well..

1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<10

Total Realism.................................Total Arcade

and thinks the game should sit around 7 towards Arcade.

what we learn from this thread: if you want to discuss something in the general section you better make a proper first post and title. unless you want a back and forth of the extreme sides instead of a think tank about interesting ideas and suggestions.

where then they go on to elaborate on BIS providing scripting and functions etc (which they aready do) to facilitate his wishes....

task modules still useless for JIP. same goes for sector modules it seems.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159426-The-new-Sector-Module/page6 read the last two posts.

so thx BI. i personally already made my own sector system because BI's stuff is simply useless for anything serious. so yea. so far they fail to deliver. but maybe it's getting there at some point. i mean in arma terms it's mind blowing that we now in arma 3 finally have spectator modes and vehicle respawn. can't wait to play some proper large scale official MP modes in arma 6...until then we're stuck with: "MP sucks because of 15 FPS"..."no the mission you played sucks".

bravo. everything is perfect. and what makes a game niche, serious and realistic is old shitty UI. everyone knows that. who cares about game play. let's just keep all those idiots out by making everything underwhelming and let's not change anything that is still like in ofp because ofp was exceptional because of its "realistic" UI. ugh...

BF...sexy game lobby

Ha.

Also, there sure are some elitist tendencies coming out in this thread. And some pretty cool prejudices against people for playing different types of video games.

Edit:

and thinks the game should sit around 7 towards Arcade.

You forgot the part where he said "between 3 and" in front of that 7.

Edited by roshnak

I would still like to see a side-by-side and detailed comparison of game lobbies and what exactly the OP et al. desire. I haven't played BF/COD in some years, so I might not be in-touch with the newest lobby features... Until now I hadn't really considered it an issue, though.

I would still like to see a side-by-side and detailed comparison of game lobbies and what exactly the OP et al. desire. I haven't played BF/COD in some years, so I might not be in-touch with the newest lobby features... Until now I hadn't really considered it an issue, though.

Give me a few days and I'll illustrate what I mean...

Actually I think it is a desire at least from the OP, and these are the expected responses he gets, the post was written in such a way to cause confusion or request arcade by stealth, he's talking about the game as well.. and thinks the game should sit around 7 towards Arcade.

To clarify this is what I said:

I think everyone has a point on their gaming scale where they think the level of realism vs arcade should be.

1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<10

Total Realism.................................Total Arcade

For me Arma is about a 3 or 4 most days. I'm suggesting it should able to be between a 3 and a 7.

I'm suggesting only that the mission designers should have a range of options in their toolkit when they approach how their mission will function...and that BIS could help us a ton by making these options easier to incorporate into a mission.

Edited by Bvrettski