Sign in to follow this  
Chocolate

Grenade Implementation

Well, it takes about that long to reload a rifle most of the time as well, but I sincerely doubt we'll ever see a delay like that implemented.

The problem with Arma 2 was that the throw animation was terrible and locked you in place. Arma 3's system is a huge improvement on that, but there is still room for tweaking.

Oh, and 6-10 seconds is way too long for something that you are probably going to be doing while people are shooting at you.

the response to people shooting is shooting back, so ive they see you you shouldnt be trowing grenades back, use grenades in the ocasion yo have time, this is a tactical game, so ive its not a viable option to use a grenade, then you shouldnt.

Well if thats how long it takes in real life to throw a grenade it should be the same in Arma.

In real life you have to have surgery when you get shot.

Add now BI!

No, you just get a first aid kit.

Depends.

Well, I guess instead of addressing the point that I was pretty clearly making you can try to get pedantic about whether all bullet wounds require surgery.

Connected to this we would also need some indication for the force we use, because atm it feels like you have no control about how far or near you throw that ugly little thing.
So long as it isn't based on how long you wait to throw (because I want to be able to hold my throw to wait without making it a super throw). Like, use the mouse wheel to increase/decrease distance while holding the grenade with the pin out.

That said I never had issues in AmsArm getting the throws accurate. Their system was just so damned good. And there were two modes: light (underhand) and hard (overhand). That really was sufficient 90% of the time, though those maps were mostly CQC (so we might need more control for the more open Arma maps).

And you had to take a bit to take out a grenade in that game. It was excellent. It was still a fun, fast-paced game. Fact was if you took out a grenade, you were vulnerable, so you were careful about when you slung your rifle for that. I think you could switch/sling weapons on the move there, though, it definitely wasn't as clunky as A3's approach.

Well, I guess instead of addressing the point that I was pretty clearly making you can try to get pedantic about whether all bullet wounds require surgery.

Not really. You're trying to compare grenade throwing mechanics to the medical system. Now I'd like to see improved grenade throwing and a more comprehensive medical system in ArmA instead of just a couple of clicks.

Um, no. That's not what I am saying. What I am saying is that doing something "because that's how it is in real life" is not a good reason by itself. There are lots of ways the game could be made to be more like real life but would also make the game not fun to play. We can make compromises so that the game feels authentic without being 100% realistic. For example, medics can fix your legs and you can walk again instead of being crippled for the rest of the game.

Now it might not sound like it, but 6-10 seconds is really, really long time to be performing one combat action in a video game. Besides which, a time based system for throwing grenades is a bad idea. Like I said on the first page: Arma should work like every other PC FPS ever and let you hit a key on the keyboard to pull a grenade out, then let you throw the grenade from there.

The thing about America's Army that was great was that there was no "hold to throw it further". You pulled and aimed it, the strength was default. You had a point of reference being the guys finger. If it was a "click and throw" thing there would need to be a point of reference. I think the strength thing is bad because it's not intuitive, it's widely variable and often you don't need strength, you need accuracy.

Yes this is a very good example how to do it right.

Well personally I would build from ACE system:

Select throwing arc:

do you wanna mark your position with smoke?

"Drop - Right at your feet. You'd better move if this is not smoke or something harmless. Denoted by a downwards arrow."

what about grenade over wall?

"Roll - Grenade goes low and parallel to the ground, fast enough to bounce ('roll') 10 or so meters. Denoted by a downwards curving arrow."

I just wanna throw it accurately!

"Grenade flies directly where you're pointing at (and not ~30 degrees higher as in default amplitude throw). Allows you to throw grenades into windows etc with high precision (after some practice).

Denoted by a horizontal arrow."

Now instead of icons (denoted by) we could use visual system like dsylexi showed with video.

I would also encourage keeping strength indicator (so you know how far/hard will throw be) visually looking like loading bar reference ACE

This is true. ACE does allow for better utility of grenades, where as America's Army would see you throwing grenades on a very strange angle to get the same results. Dyslexci has it right, that would be a great system. The problem with strength I find, from ArmA at least, is that strength changes your axis so much it's impossible to weigh up 1. How much to use, 2. Where to aim. You actually have to change your point of aim without a reference point.

It felt almost deadly dangerous to just throw a grenade on ARMA 2 because we had to stand still while throwing.

I would be okay with preparing the grenade, but id like to move around while doing so.

Dont put too many restrictions

The main problems with grenades in A2 were:

1, difficult to throw accurately

2, you have to stand perfectly still while throwing

That meant throwing a grenade around a corner, you would have to step out, hold the mouse, release it and expose your whole body for that time and also while the throwing animation played.

Well, from the sample of people so far, it would seem we all agree the current grenade implementation is wrong.

Major overall Concerns:

The ability to cancel the action to save one's own life

"Equipment delay" (Time it takes to actually take out the grenade from some place)

Strength of throw

The ability to cook the grenade? I didn't see much talk about this, but it seemed accepted.