Sign in to follow this  
austin_medic

Xbox code in BI tools?

Wasn't quite sure where this topic would fit... I'll put it here since it has to do with arma 3 as a whole.

Ummmmmmmmm.... not sure if BIS meant to take this out or just sweep it under the rug and hope nobody would notice it at some point... But I found some... interesting code inside the bin folder in Binarize that appears to deal with Xbox 360. Look for yourself in the BI tools and you will find the same thing.

Heres some of the code i found in 'cfgXbox.hpp'

class CfgLiveStats
{
 // New format of leaderboard definition for Xbox 360
 class TrueSkill
 {
   name = "TrueSkillâ„¢ rankings";   // TODO: Move to stringtable
   board = 0xFFFF0001;             // STATS_VIEW_SKILL_RANKED_MP
   class Columns
   {
     class Rank
     {
       id = -1; // fixed 
       name = $STR_LIVE_STATS_RANK;
       width = 0.1;
       format = "%d.";
       align = ST_RIGHT;
     };
     class Gamertag
     {
       id = -2; // fixed 
       name = $STR_LIVE_STATS_NAME;
       width = 0.5;
       format = "%s";
       align = ST_LEFT;
     };
     class Skill
     {
       id = 61; // X_STATS_COLUMN_SKILL_SKILL
       name = "TrueSkillâ„¢ rank";  // TODO: Move to stringtable
       width = 0.2;
       format = "%d";
       align = ST_RIGHT;
     };
     class GamesPlayed
     {
       id = 62; // X_STATS_COLUMN_SKILL_GAMESPLAYED
       name = "Games played";
       width = 0.2;
       format = "%d";
       align = ST_RIGHT;
     };
   };
 };

soo... maybe somebody from BIS could PLEASE come explain what this is and why its inside the bitools.....

Could be some leftover from OFP:Elite, which was released on the original XBOX, but around the time the 360 came out, so they may have played around with that.

Must have been a little delusional moment by the Devs.

MUST.

HAVE.

BEEN.

:D

@ austin_medic : you can also find OFP parts in Arma3. Bohemia Interactive is a very "conservative" band of guys, they are sending nothing to the bin, once they have done a thing, they use it !

So in the past BIS has released Operation Flashpoint : Elite for Xbox.

It's now well known, -

@ 5'30- that BIS has made experiments with Consoles and Arma2.

So it's not surprising to find here and there remains from the past.

They tried to get arma2 running on xbox 360, but it didn't work out, bad performance, lack of memory and streaming from a dvd is a pain (not all xboxes have harddrives)

Relax guys, its jsut left over code from Arma 2. It was in Arma 2 as well.

Not only that, Arma2 even comes with the Xbox button images inside the ui.pbo. I haven't investigated A3 pbos much yet, but is posible that they are still there.

As NeMeSiS said, i also think that its just a leftover from OFP:Elite, or maybe just left there for xinput compativility( xbox controler API). GL to get arma running on consoles, even the new gen(PS4, XboxONE) would need some extra optimization to get it running, also without addons and with all the needed controls, A3, wouldn't be A3, so i personally don't see the point on a port.

Edited by columdrum

Not only that, Arma2 even comes with the Xbox button images inside the ui.pbo. I haven't investigated A3 pbos much yet, but is posible that they are still there.

As NeMeSiS said, i also think that its just a leftover from OFP:Elite, or maybe just leave there for xinput compativility( xbox controler API).

Arma 3 at least has code for the support of Xbox360 controllers, if you hook one up and launch the game the menu layouts will display the xbox controller buttons.

It is plain simple: nearly full Arma 2 was running on Xbox 360 but we never managed to really finish it (performance was never good enough) or release it for various reasons. In fact, we really wanted to make the game for X360, similary to OFP Elite for Xbox 1 (the first one).

It is plain simple: nearly full Arma 2 was running on Xbox 360 but we never managed to really finish it (performance was never good enough) or release it for various reasons. In fact, we really wanted to make the game for X360, similary to OFP Elite for Xbox 1 (the first one).

You did a fine job with OFPElite for the xbox, work of art getting all that into the black box. I really only played around with it, making my own missions in the Editor, but it was a real eye opener for the console, hundreds of 'games' in one, if you understand what I mean..:)

Nice work..

You did a fine job with OFPElite for the xbox, work of art getting all that into the black box. I really only played around with it, making my own missions in the Editor, but it was a real eye opener for the console, hundreds of 'games' in one, if you understand what I mean..:)

Nice work..

I agree. Elite was, given the limitation of the hardware, a really good effort. As to whether it was a good idea?

I agree. Elite was, given the limitation of the hardware, a really good effort. As to whether it was a good idea?

Considering the changes made for Elite that served as the base for Arma 1 (and all future sequels) were quite a jump from 1.96, I'd argue that it was. But then again, what difference would there be if Elite was never made? Would the development of Arma 1, and subsequent sequels still take place and reach the level it did? Would Arma 1 still be the "uninspired effort" or something different? Would the engine be even more demanding today if they never made an effort to make it work on such a limited machine back then?

I can still get CWC to grind my i5 and GTX660 to a halt by maxing out the view distance and terrain detail. The "Terrain detail in CWC was made for the machines of the future" line we used to mutter when people came to the forums complaining about the bad performance when they "maxed all their settings on their beastly Athlon 64 and Radeon X700 series" rings quite false when 12 years isn't "the future" necessary for that not to happen. :p But today I can max out Arma 3 and still get "moar framez" than I do when I launch CWC and put the terrain detail to maximum. The reason is that the future probably didn't turn out to be increasingly more powerful single core processors.

Since we'll never know, it's probably better to focus on the now and the future. Saying this as a person who never owned a console since the SNES days and probably never will, who knows, maybe limiting themselves to a fixed spec machine and rigorous approval processes once again would bring positive changes in the future.