Sign in to follow this  
Gudsawn

SITREP #00036 - Does this mean we'll see A2 content in A3?

From the latest SITREP:

Barring any showstoppers, we will next week be releasing data from pretty much all Arma 2 content. This will be done under new licenses, that make it possible to use the data to release within Arma games. It will no longer require case-by-case requests to use Arma 2 models and textures for Arma 3 mods for example. Things should be clear and accessible for anyone!

Now, just so I don't get my hopes up too soon, does this mean we'll be able to port all Arma 2 content into Arma 3 natively (without needing to own Arma 2)? For example - Chernarus, Apaches, Humvees etc?

Edited by GDSN

From the latest SITREP:

Now, just so I don't get my hopes up too soon, does this mean we'll be able to port all Arma 2 content into Arma 3 natively (without needing to own Arma 2)? For example - Chernarus, Apaches, Humvees etc?

Exactly :D

Yes, but the only thing, we dont know if they will make the islands available aswell, I dont think they will. So probably the buildings on chernarus etc but not the island itself but we'll see :)

It's a great move, and one that was (none-too-subtly) hinted at in one of the earlier STIREPs or DevBlogs... Been waiting for this a long time. I really hope ACE3 development has been waiting for that as well...That's some attitude BIS! Thanks!

Fantastic! That would open up ALOT of awesome posibilities!

But someone has to do it! http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152706-All-in-Arma-%28AiA%29-TKOH-OA-A2-A1-merge-with-A3/page150

;2563797']

Any modeler interested in helping to bring the vehicles to A3 standards (step by step)?

Its mostly about adding selections and memory points' date=' and the PhysX Lod for the start.

More details here: guide how to port A2/OA content to A3

Maybe a Task Force can be organized?

I can't wait for the million random ports of varying quality that will drown out every other mod on the forums.

---------- Post added at 02:26 ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 ----------

We need one central community group to focus on only porting them and making them work with the new applicable features. Then mods like ACE or others could use these ported assets in their own mods.

We need one central community group to focus on only porting them and making them work with the new applicable features. Then mods like ACE or others could use these ported assets in their own mods.

Totally agree. Something like Community Ported Addons thread would be nice. I think .kju can organize something like this, he has a big experience in porting content (AiA) , and Sickboy can provide some support with centralized repository at Play withSIX.

Just my thoughts :confused:

Great news! And great to see the community coming together! Epic.

We've actually been seeing some ported-over content for a while now -- see Slatt's infantry rifles -- but the great difference will be in the new licenses.

I can't wait for the million random ports of varying quality that will drown out every other mod on the forums.

---------- Post added at 02:26 ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 ----------

This is solid. It also prevents a lot of duplicate projects and wasted time. The community should talk together prior to release so modders/teams don't step all over each other needlessly.

Not sure we need everything ported either. I mean, there are already a bunch of weapon mods available that seem pretty damn good to me. What I'm really looking forward to are:

- vehicles

- soldiers

- packs/rigs

I am pretty sure they will release just p3d and model.cfg; maybe also rvmat and configs.

For textures, sounds and scripts people will need to have A2/OA or the modified models are to use new ones.

;2565230']I am pretty sure they will release just p3d and model.cfg; maybe also rvmat and configs.

For textures' date=' sounds and scripts people will need to have A2/OA or the modified models are to use new ones.[/quote']

That's how I read it.

the islands are more or less the only thing from arma2 that is fit for use without updates and modifications, except for the buildings but thats something the community could take care of (e.g. making all buildings enterable and making them look pretty in 2013...). if theyd not release the islands, which would like quadruple the playable terrain, it would make no sense to me.

and on the quality of ported content in general: maybe its possible to articulate certain standards that have to be met to receive a certain community certificate, like "you have to use hq textures" or "no low poly models" etc etc whatever is important.

im dont have a clue about modeling and stuff but i would expect that people that release stuff for fun or to share their personal learning progress do not neccessarily care much about if they meet the corporate standards of the core game and thats perfectly legit. Something like a certificate that requires your work to pass through some kind of semipublic review procedure could give players better orientation about the available content?

It could be as easy as a public thread that is monitored by a pool of assigned voluntary "inspectors" and you have to get a greenlight from one or more to use the cert. I dont want to reinvent the wheel, just a random though about this issue....

http://shop.cjmedals.co.uk/company/67/375/images/guild_of_master_craftsmen_cert..-4214.jpg

Edited by Maio

I agree with previous sentiment - do we need some sort of Peer review process ?

Sort the good from the bad. I can imagine the pain on Mission night....

"...But I've GOT the A10 I'm telling you !"

"No you have the OTHER A10.... !"

SJ

I'm really not worried about that, to be quite honest, considering how players have already managed to survive the M16/M4 horde. :rolleyes: Plus in my experience, mod quality tends to stand out/be recommended by players without giving a damn about any "rating body"'s verdict.

I wanna have the Bus for sightseeing :p

May be it's possible to create a pbo (addon) for every vehicle? Or do we get an memory/performace issue because of many files then? The advantage will be that we can make a vehicle object library consists of many small pbo files. The user will load only one mod (e.g. Great-Arma-Object-Library) and download all the small pbo files (may be over six). If new objects will add or changed the updater will only download the changed small pbo's not the whole content again. The really big advantage is that everyone will have the same content and can play nearly on all servers instead of install serveral mods.

Another advantage is that everyone can easy extend the mod (only include the new object pbo).

Edited by gagagu

I wanna have the Bus for sightseeing :p

May be it's possible to create a pbo (addon) for every vehicle? Or do we get an memory/performace issue because of many files then? The advantage will be that we can make a vehicle object library consists of many small pbo files. The user will load only one mod (e.g. Great-Arma-Object-Library) and download all the small pbo files (may be over six). If new objects will add or changed the updater will only download the changed small pbo's not the whole content again. The really big advantage is that everyone will have the same content and can play nearly on all servers instead of install serveral mods.

Another advantage is that everyone can easy extend the mod (only include the new object pbo).

From what I know, Play with Six does already delta patching.

So it does not download the whole changed file, but the changed data of already downloaded files (I guess up to a specific chunk size).

If you won't use a mod manager, and want to handle the mods yourself, I guess, checking/downloading each single file/addon would need more time than downloading the whole package.

So the only real reason for splitting single addons as files would be, if you want to use just one single specific addon.

if you would use one addon per mod, it might help reduce memory usage/loading time (on the other hand, I don't know if classes get loaded when they are not used in the mission), but think about the server modline.

The server modline may contain than sooo many addons, that you can't come around a mod manager anymore.

Edit: Checkmate then^^

Hi,

you're right. Six would may be the best solution.

To convert the whole content of Arma 2 (Vehicles, Buildings, Vegetation, Maps, Animals, Furniture, .....) would be a huge mod and you need many members. I'm afraid that there will be many small mod teams with different or same content.

Hi

How know when this Update will be available?

It will be released this week, so either tommorow or friday.

Thanks for the information. Do you know if we can use the modules of ARMA 2 in ARMA 3? With this Update

Edited by ltluis

No. I don't see any update or any new in Steam or here

I hope this update will be this week