Brilliant - Thank you for the information :)

You welcome. Note I had a typo in the last bit of code frame that I fixed just now.

Are the skillAI and precisionAI still just modifiers for the AI sub-skills? Does the aiLevelPreset change the value of the sub-skills at all?

Are the skillAI and precisionAI still just modifiers for the AI sub-skills? Does the aiLevelPreset change the value of the sub-skills at all?

Yup, it's always in the end down to global modification of each AIs subskills. SkillAI and precisionAI each modify a specific group of sub-skills. There are 4 AiLevelPresets - 3 of them have skillAI and precisionAI values hard-coded, while the last one, custom, leaves the customization of those two values up to you.

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

I have created a quick poll, where I'd like to ask you for your thoughts about current presets.

Take the survey here please

Quick survey closed due to it's limits. Thanks for the feedback!

Thank you!

Edited by oukej

Voted! After several months of adjusting the AI settings in iterations of two games a week we have found skillAI 0.75 and precisionAI 0.4 the most gameplay-challenge balanced.

Please factor in our game style which is no-respawn. We also play with ASR AI.

Wait. So now both BLUFOR and REDFOR have to have the SAME precisionAI and SkillAI settings?? This is awful if so? There is large discrepancies between BLUFOR and REDFOR forces routinely around the world today (meaning just different Nations resources toward training their forces). I did not think It possible for A3 to go further backwards with the AI situation since not playing for past 6 months. Come back to find this out?

Wait. So now both BLUFOR and REDFOR have to have the SAME precisionAI and SkillAI settings?? This is awful if so? There is large discrepancies between BLUFOR and REDFOR forces routinely around the world today (meaning just different Nations resources toward training their forces). I did not think It possible for A3 to go further backwards with the AI situation since not playing for past 6 months. Come back to find this out?

skillFriendly/Enemy are related to the player (so the Friendly side could be bluefor or opfor depending on the players side) and has been for ages.

Anyway I'm pretty sure CSAT are supposed to be a well trained / equiped force.

There is large discrepancies between BLUFOR and REDFOR forces routinely around the world today (meaning just different Nations resources toward training their forces).

And exactly that you can simulate when creating the mission using the setSkill command or Skill slider in the Insert Unit dialogue (which I previously mentioned as subject to improvement - I hope we can still find some time for it)

What oukej said, plus mods like asr allow you to change skill of units based on their type/faction. Having the ingame slider for both east and west was poor IMO because it could easily mess up the desired balance of a mission. I always ended up putting them to the same values anyways. Options are usually good but excessive "moving parts" in a system isn't.

Just coming back to A3 - Do I have this right.

Are these the ONLY 3 items that now matter in ones A3profile folder - (meaning we can tweak them).

aiLevelPreset=3;

skillAI=0.45000002;

precisionAI=0.2;

And if so. Now with both OpFor and BluFor having the SAME skill set (Im not of fan of this solution by the way). How does one go about differing OpFor and Blufor skills at the unit level? Not all soliders have the same starting skill set. Is now the only other option to have units start off skilled differently (yet with starting out from the same SkillAI and same Precision AI ) is this done with the unit skill slider in the editor ??

Meaning the skill slider within the editor when you place a unit....is the only way to make one unit better than another once placed on the map (as all have the same starting SkillAI and PrecisionAI.

Thanks for help.

Edited by TMP95

Are these the ONLY 3 items that now matter in ones A3profile folder - (meaning we can tweak them).

aiLevelPreset=3;

skillAI=0.45000002;

precisionAI=0.2;

Yes.

Is now the only other option to have units start off skilled differently (yet with starting out from the same SkillAI and same Precision AI ) is this done with the unit skill slider in the editor ??

Yes, and this is logical, and more usable than it was before. Balancing the mission should be up to the mission maker.

Meaning the skill slider within the editor when you place a unit....is the only way to make one unit better than another once placed on the map (as all have the same starting SkillAI and PrecisionAI.

The SkillAI and PrecisionAI are global coefficients.

The starting skill of each individual unit is what you set by the slider or setSkill command.

Also units placed in groups via "F2 Insert Group" have their initial skill already according to their position in the group (which you can easily change again using the slider or by scripting).

An user-friendly dialog to massively adjust skill of units in a mission (based on allegiance, type, etc... something like ESS) has been considered.

How do you use setskill command? I guess I'm just not understanding this or something please help thanks..Is there a tutorial on this? I checked BIs wiki and still not understanding how to set this up.

Setskill is a scripting command. Easiest way to use it is in the init of a unit or mission. So when you place a unit in the editor,look for the init field in the units settings. Put "this setskill 0.5" in that init and the units skill will now be 50%. "This" simply refers to the unit itself. If your unit has a name you can replace "this" with that name. Ie. if your unit is "badguy1", you can write "badguy1 setskill 0.5". specifying the particular unit name allows you to write this code not only in the units init but in any other init (over units or the mission init.sqf, or other external scripts.).

An even better way to set skills is the "setskill array" command. This allows you to modify particular skills of a unit (ie. accuracy, spotting, etc.)

The SkillAI and PrecisionAI are global coefficients.

The starting skill of each individual unit is what you set by the slider or setSkill command.

Also units placed in groups via "F2 Insert Group" have their initial skill already according to their position in the group (which you can easily change again using the slider or by scripting).

An user-friendly dialog to massively adjust skill of units in a mission (based on allegiance, type, etc... something like ESS) has been considered.

+1000 to using Enhanced Skills Slider by Jedra - I used this always with A2 it worked fantastically. I have never understood why BIS doesn't just include this by now?

Please do!!

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

Setskill is a scripting command. Easiest way to use it is in the init of a unit or mission. So when you place a unit in the editor,look for the init field in the units settings. Put "this setskill 0.5" in that init and the units skill will now be 50%. "This" simply refers to the unit itself. If your unit has a name you can replace "this" with that name. Ie. if your unit is "badguy1", you can write "badguy1 setskill 0.5". specifying the particular unit name allows you to write this code not only in the units init but in any other init (over units or the mission init.sqf, or other external scripts.).

An even better way to set skills is the "setskill array" command. This allows you to modify particular skills of a unit (ie. accuracy, spotting, etc.)

If one uses the slider bar in the editor...Is this not the same as using the "SetSkill" command in the init field of a given unit?? If I place a unit and slide the skill slider all the way to 1. Does this not do the same as typing in the init field "this setskill 1.0". ??

If one uses the slider bar in the editor...Is this not the same as using the "SetSkill" command in the init field of a given unit?? If I place a unit and slide the skill slider all the way to 1. Does this not do the same as typing in the init field "this setskill 1.0". ??

It is. The last one used is valid. (Slider being the first)

Setskill is a scripting command. Easiest way to use it is in the init of a unit or mission. So when you place a unit in the editor,look for the init field in the units settings. Put "this setskill 0.5" in that init

Also don't forget to utilize the forEach command - it can save you a lot of time, especially if you later decide to overhaul the skills in your scenario.

I'm interested in learning how to correctly use the "Setskill array" commands.

How / Where do I place these?? Within the unit INIT of each unit I place? Can someone give me the correct form in which these categories should look (appear) within the INIT of a unit (thanks!). Say I want them all to be at their best of 1.0.

aimingAccuracy

aimingShake

aimingSpeed

Having difficulty with Showcase - infantry. Difficulty Regular. AI level Normal.

Second engagement as they come from over the hill and down the valley.

Most of the time I get hit on first couple of volleys while near cover. AI Squad mates also getting killed off easily I have played it a few times to make sure I wasn't just getting unlucky as I am sticking to cover and killing what I can. not made it to the rescue point after 5-6 tries.

Is it supposed to be like this now? I remember being able to complete this pretty much every go.

This part (also present in campaign, BI's copy-paste mania) isn't super easy, but you should be able to survive by throwing smokes when you spot the first contact.

Ai are generally a bit accurate I think right now. This is because of the new fatigue and wound effects that don't seem to hamper the ai as much. And as always their accuracy still doesn't differ based on their optics, which I think is a big problem.

There is also not enough room to customize their skills through the sliders. What I mean by this is that the precision slider doesn't have enough effect on the ai accuracy. The difference between 0 and full on the slider is minimal. BI needs to give us a bit more room to play around and find our own sweet spot. Right now the sliders don't hold enough weigh.

I've always had this same problem too, the only times I have managed to complete the Infantry showcase is after many dozens of deaths, and spamming the quick save function.

I don't think the problem is AI accuracy, I think the bad thing about that second engagement is that it comes right when all cover and concealment disappears and the terrain opens up. There is just nowhere to take cover while trying to engage the enemy. And you can not run back to the cover further back, because then all your teammates just gets slaughtered.

Considering that the showcases are supposed to be an introduction into Arma 3, mostly for new players, it shouldn't be so difficult, and it should show off the vital importance of using cover and concealment to staying alive in Arma, compared to the "run and gun" playstyle of conventional shooters. But it fails at that, so I think it's just bad mission design. So many people seem to have had the same problem with this, since back when it was first released, so all it does is probably scaring off new players, making them think that Arma 3 is impossibly difficult to get into.

Also, in my opinion, none of the other showcases are as difficult, they are all very easy to complete compared to the infantry one.

Edited by Johan S

There is also not enough room to customize their skills through the sliders. What I mean by this is that the precision slider doesn't have enough effect on the ai accuracy. The difference between 0 and full on the slider is minimal. BI needs to give us a bit more room to play around and find our own sweet spot. Right now the sliders don't hold enough weigh.

Exactly. This has been pointed out quite some time ago. It is a problem.

I'll try the smoke because it is an exposed hill.

Johan S you are right! (on some points ;) ) maybe the Friendly AI is taking a different route these days. As the AI cresting the hill is timed perfectly with the valley AI. Could be my imagination but I still think the initial accuracy & and first shot speed seems faster and better. It's a shame they take a few steps forward in one area and a few back in another area. balancing such a complex sim must drive them nuts

I think they need to devote some more testing in this area because if the whole game is now this difficult I can't see anyone completing the campaign without a struggle.

AI Skill level - "Normal" currently feels like "Real life" difficulty

I want "Normal" to be something like Call Of Duty - harder :)

Maybe bring these finer levels of control closer to the surface instead of in "Game options"

I personally don't think Novice, Normal and Expert is enough. but maybe they can just make normal easier again. This could be all just my experience and you are all gods at this game maybe you prone the whole way to victory!

+1 for more AI control

So I was playing this Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS) and I was flying with a AH-9 Pawnee, I knew saw the enemy 1km away and started firing from there with the minigun.

Ai pops one shot with his sidearm -> through the windshield into the cockpit and hits me right in the face from 1 km. These bullsh*t deaths have happened so many times since I bought arma 3 at release, at first I thought it was a early access bug but now i'm not so sure.

I really like the arma series but I don't like this unrealistic ai non-bullet drop bs.

I've always had this same problem too, the only times I have managed to complete the Infantry showcase is after many dozens of deaths, and spamming the quick save function.

I don't think the problem is AI accuracy, I think the bad thing about that second engagement is that it comes right when all cover and concealment disappears and the terrain opens up. There is just nowhere to take cover while trying to engage the enemy. And you can not run back to the cover further back, because then all your teammates just gets slaughtered.

Also, in my opinion, none of the other showcases are as difficult, they are all very easy to complete compared to the infantry one.

There is a place to be somewhat covered on the right to the back (a fallen tree or something like that), but even then it is too difficult. All my teammembers survived the first contact and all died on the second. I eventually gave up. Part of it is that players team is in a clear disadvantage - in the open and outnumbered (I think), and there si no counter but shooting extra fast and acuratelly. It is not exactly smart level design :( The player's team leader would probably try to break the contact, withdraw and reengage in real. He just gets slaughtered here :)

There is a place to be somewhat covered on the right to the back (a fallen tree or something like that), but even then it is too difficult. All my teammembers survived the first contact and all died on the second. I eventually gave up. Part of it is that players team is in a clear disadvantage - in the open and outnumbered (I think), and there si no counter but shooting extra fast and acuratelly. It is not exactly smart level design The player's team leader would probably try to break the contact, withdraw and reengage in real. He just gets slaughtered here

Yep pretty much. That is both the good and bad thing about "cog in the machine type missions" were you are lead by ai. you as the player have only so much control other things and everything else is up to the mission designer. And that Showcase wasn't designed particularly well if it is supposed to be only a moderate difficulty.