About the "Mission makers skill settings does override (as a multiplier?) game preferences skill settings" - what about a checkbox which goes like "[x] Use mission makers recommended skills". It could be in every preset.

Maybe even a tri-state:

unchecked means ALL UNITS RECEIVE YOUR CHOSEN SKILL SETTINGS

grey means YOUR SETTINGS MULTIPLY WITH MISSION MAKERS SKILL SETTINGS (if exist)

checked means MISSION MAKERS SKILL SETTINGS (if exist) ARE USED

Just loud thinking. Least I can say is: The UI must help here because there is always confusion about what overrides what.

What would be easier would be to have one setting for all? Stop multiplying and making lots of additional factors in it, why does it have to be so hard?

Just give us 10 or more values from 0-1 and let us set it to what we want.

Im not understanding the added multipliers and what benefits we are apparently gaining from having the entire process so much harder than it needs to be?

Champy_UK

What would be easier would be to have one setting for all? Stop multiplying and making lots of additional factors in it, why does it have to be so hard?

Just give us 10 or more values from 0-1 and let us set it to what we want.

Im not understanding the added multipliers and what benefits we are apparently gaining from having the entire process so much harder than it needs to be?

Champy_UK

10 more settings? Your idea of "easier" is odd :P

;2575135']Default precision default needs to be toned down a good deal. Most say only 0.2-0.4 is playable without other tweaks.

Exactly. As it is now, the AI's ability to hit you in the head with their first shot while standing up, 200m away is frustrating to say the least. I think there needs to be a much greater difference between aimingAccuracy = 0.1 and aimingAccuracy = 1.

It seems like the 0.1 value is "not bad" and at 1 it is "cyborg lethal", when 0.1 should be akin to blindfire, spray and pray then 0.5 being where 0.1 is now.

Cheers

Is there any ETA on when an overhaul with more options for the SP is going to be put out by BIS?? Will it be in a soon to be patch? Or is this all brain-storming for way down the line? Lots of these ideas sound great....steps in the right direction. Even an combination of them. But is BIS releasing any idea of when these might be possible? I've been away from A3 now for several months and really no change in the AI at all?

My biggest issue is that the AI spot you too easily.

As in they can be walking away from me, I pop up from behind a rock and they immediately swing around and shoot me.

Something has to be done. It kills gameplay and makes the game much more trial and error then it should be.

There's also no fog of war when you shoot at them. Just because you shoot a guy, he shouldn't immediately know you are hiding in a bush 150 meters away, turn, and headshot you.

I wish to see more gore, it adds immersion. Like having a chance of legs or arms blowing off from explosives and anti-material rifles. I see it's in VBS2 and in Arma 2 there was a mod that could have AI completely blow up from high explosives. It was so wickidely sick to drop an airstrike on a group of guys and see half of them splatter to pieces through my lazer designator zoomed in, blood and body parts in a mist among the bomb/missile particles and smoke.

//sorry posted in wrong thread, tabs confusion...

Edited by LowFlyZone
posted in wrong thread

My biggest issue is that the AI spot you too easily.

Definitely. Snipers should be almost invisible even after couple of shots taken.

Why should a sniper be any different than any else lying on the ground with a rifle?

Please FIX "copy my instance" IA command, they dont do nothing

Also, the artillery muzle flash in the last mission is bugged. The muzle flash doesn't have an animation is just a still image

Why should a sniper be any different than any else lying on the ground with a rifle?

I'm going to guess he means a sniper engaging from high ground at long distance in a ghillie suit should be harder to spot than a infantryman engaging at 300M.

somehow my character always 'spots' enemies that I can't even see. it seems a lot of the time they can see through trees and such. sometimes it seems like the AI is using the 3rd person camera :/

I feel you are just being obtuse. It's easy to see what he means.

There should be some portion of time spent for the AI to spot you if you are concealed in cover, a far distance off. Right now if you take a single shot at an enemy patrol 300 yards off, they immediately know exactly where you are and rain down head shots. Instead there should be panic and taking cover, not magically knowing where the shot came from.

It completely voids many tactical advantages taken in the game. If I'm laying behind a rock with just my muzzle sticking out, the AI should not spot me immediately because I take a shot. Especially when they have their backs turned at the shot.

Maturin,

a sniper hidden in a highly cluttered area hundreds meters away should not be detected precisely in a few seconds after couple of shots. Sniper should be a fear-spreading unit capable of demoralizing whole squads. Look up some real world videos. It can take dozens of minutes or even hours to detect a shooting sniper.

In Arma, a sniper is detected in seconds even by units which have no scopes. An utter non-sense.

Not to mention that my AI mates regularly spot units that I can't see at all because of LODs, clutter, colours etc.

On the other hand, they sometimes fail to spot clearly visible units.

Simply put: the spotting mechanics need a lot of work yet which I strongly doubt will be done any time soon. Very frustrating.

I'm going to guess he means a sniper engaging from high ground at long distance in a ghillie suit should be harder to spot than a infantryman engaging at 300M.

Thanks.

Other sniper suggestions:

- the behaviour of snipers should be changed so that they fire more "sure shots" and less often in order to be even harder to detect. Right now, they shoot like maniacs (ordinary infantry guys).

- they should shot from prone positions and move stealthy when in the range of enemy units (naive suggestion for another years of development, because stealth behaviour is simply non-existent in Arma series) Right now, they behave like normal infantry guys, running around and doing everything in order to be easily detected (wrong).

I think all that Maturin is trying to point out is that a "sniper" shouldn't get some magical bonus because "he's a sniper". A normal rifleman even lacking the ghillie suit should be able to conceal himself for quite a while, while firing as well, given the he sets up the conditions right.

This is the main problem with ai spotting. It doesn't take the enough varies into account (albeit it does take into account many). Ie. right now it basically depends on the units movement speed, stance, distance, whether he is shooting or not, and to a very limited degree, what type of terrain he is in. There is so much more that could make for better stealth mechanics such as camoflauge compared to the terrain, the amount of objects around that can confuse the eye, how much of the body one exposes, hidden silhouettes etc. Of course I am just talking in a ideal game but those are the problems with spotting right now imo.

Basically just because your a sniper doesn't mean you should be harder to spot.

I think all that Maturin is trying to point out is that a "sniper" shouldn't get some magical bonus because "he's a sniper". A normal rifleman even lacking the ghillie suit should be able to conceal himself for quite a while, while firing as well, given the he sets up the conditions right.

This is the main problem with ai spotting. It doesn't take the enough varies into account (albeit it does take into account many). Ie. right now it basically depends on the units movement speed, stance, distance, whether he is shooting or not, and to a very limited degree, what type of terrain he is in. There is so much more that could make for better stealth mechanics such as camoflauge compared to the terrain, the amount of objects around that can confuse the eye, how much of the body one exposes, hidden silhouettes etc. Of course I am just talking in a ideal game but those are the problems with spotting right now imo.

I'm think we know a sniper shouldn't have magic powers. The example of a sniper is simply to describe a common situation in which the enemy AI shouldn't immediately spot you. I don't care what actual class you are though, if you are in cover and fairly concealed the enemy AI should have issues spotting where the shot came from instead of insta-seeing you and turning to unload no matter the situation.

The exception should be at night when muzzle flash is an issue.

Edited by bonchie

They don't call them bushwookies for nothing!

Good points.

when an enemy shouts sniper it isnt simply because he saw the guy wearing a ghillie.

like the post above, when a shot has been made and no body knows where or who it come from they automatically narrow it down to sniper :)

#couldhavebeenaguywithapistol

when an enemy shouts sniper it isnt simply because he saw the guy wearing a ghillie.

like the post above, when a shot has been made and no body knows where or who it come from they automatically narrow it down to sniper :)

#couldhavebeenaguywithapistol

We are talking about detecting a precise sniper's position and not about guessing what unit type made a shot.

oh in that case.... its fucked.

AI spot you right away and its crap

I don't remember it being this bad in ARMA 2 or even back with OFP.

You could actually be a sniper (or any class) and not be detected if you concealed yourself properly. Of course this led to bushes (in OFP) making you too hard to spot when you shouldn't be sometimes, but it was a better trade off IMO and allowed for more varied gameplay.

I don't remember it being this bad in ARMA 2 or even back with OFP.

You could actually be a sniper (or any class) and not be detected if you concealed yourself properly. Of course this led to bushes (in OFP) making you too hard to spot when you shouldn't be sometimes, but it was a better trade off IMO and allowed for more varied gameplay.

I am not aware of this behaviour in the previous games. I think it was more or the less the same only the spotting distance was significantly shorter.

I am not aware of this behaviour in the previous games. I think it was more or the less the same only the spotting distance was significantly shorter.

Bingo. Only thing that has really changed is the ranges at which they spot and engage. In arma 2 their vanilla spotting range was around 100 to 200 metres. You could be running around in circles, shooting at the sky full auto and they wouldn't see you at 250 metres.

Now with more realistic spotting ranges however, its just easier to find the flaws with the ai spotting mechanics - mainly that concealing your self via camoflauge or partial cover does not effect the ai (at least not enough).

But this was the same for arma 2. Things have only gotten better since. Remember in arma 2, as soon as you killed an enemy, the entire squad knew exactly where you were. This has been improved significantly make "sniping" a bit easier.