Sign in to follow this  
hgfdsa

Mod Competition Suggestion

Modding Competition?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Modding Competition?

Hello

Since we haven't gotten more content in form of weapons, vehicles, etc. i wonder if Bohemia should make a modding competition to get the best mods in the game.

The community could vote for top ones and the best ones would get in the game via update? Like best vehicles, best weapons, uniforms, whatnot.

Anyways - just a suggestion. Some Arma 2 content (weapons) would be nice to have included too. :)

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

To those who vote - please state the reason for your vote :)

Nope, thanks. Modding isn't a popularity contest.

What? I don't get your logic. Usually the game devs (BI in this case) decide who wins.

I'm all for a contest that spurs people do their very best.

What? I don't get your logic. Usually the game devs (BI in this case) decide who wins.

I'm all for a contest that spurs people do their very best.

You know how ironic that sounds?

This occurs anyway. The community (modders and consumers of mods) is always working toward MP compatibility so naturally, eventually, there arises 'must have' mods that are almost always the best ones.

Right now modders do it for fun, and they work together and help each other. A competition would cause much more divide with no compatibility and is no longer for fun.

Great idea, if Bis showcased the winners on a company server.

Dwarden has hinted at a company server.

Great idea, if Bis showcased the winners on a company server.

Dwarden has hinted at a company server.

It's a performance test server.

We need auto mod downloading, not mod made official.

The ability to download mods and missions via HTTP would be awesome when joining a server.

While i like the idea of having a good mod rolled into the game updates, i know it will do exactly as others have said because i know i would be much more likely to hold onto the techniques and tricks i learn rather than share with the community.

Bohemia already have the community showcase on the website, it would be nice to have some for of that in the actual game, like at the menu screen there is a item that opens a showcase of some featured mods with direct links to download the mod.

Not dissing A.C.E. here but CSM/CSE was motivated by their lack of contribution to the realistic medical aspects of the game, for example. Competition is around, seen or unseen. Where competition goes wrong for modders is when a small team tries doing better and better, becoming too broad for itself. Stick to small things, get them right - quality control, release them. Then progress.

Mod competitions are a great idea imho.

^ This

This man speaks the truth. Make mods easily accessible and hassle free, we have the technology.

To those who vote - please state the reason for your vote :)

Voted no, because studies have shown that competition is bad for motivation, learning, creativity, personal development, psyche, bad for everything basically.

Teresa M. Amabile has published some great works on that topic.

The test groups that were not promised any rewards or punishments always performed "better".

Edited by sxp2high
"better"

I think its a good idea. I would hope that the community is mature enough for some competition without getting whiney/jealous/upset etc. and I think prizes and acknowledgement for top modders would be a nice thank you for all the hard time they put in. Of course if they don't want to participate than they don't have to.

I think it would be best not to just have one single winner though but rather the top 5 or 10 arma mods kind of thing.

Right now modders do it for fun, and they work together and help each other. A competition would cause much more divide with no compatibility and is no longer for fun.

+1

i agree with you

I would love to see Arma have the garrys mod type mod downloading, where you load into a server, and it downloads the mods you need

Pretty much. I don't want to discourage members because, X sound mod ends up outvoting Y sound mod and then everyone stops using Y or Y's creator gets upset, even though maybe thousands of players enjoy Y more.