Sign in to follow this  
dnk

Dispersion to simulate inaccuracy

Yeah, post #11 and #14. You responded "ORLY :D", which was quite substantive compared to my point-by-point responses, so yes, you win the thread.

Look, obviously your idea didn't gain the traction you thought it would. Time to let it rest?

Nerf our beloved rifles?

Let us pray,

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and I know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy."

Amen.

^ heh, yeah but I'm nerfing the supersoldier behind the rifle, not the rifle itself.

Look, obviously your idea didn't gain the traction you thought it would. Time to let it rest?
I believe I've mentioned a few times now that I agree that the consensus is against the idea and that I agree with your statement that it hasn't gained traction. I also told him he won the thread. Such is my way of bowing out.

Keep dragging it out for me, though, I appreciate that antoine...

I can see the intent behind the idea and wouldn't be opposed to it but simply put there are more attractive ways and obviously most are against it. I think it would be cool to have more sight misalignment and sway though during and after things like:

• Running
  • Walking
  • Bringing up the sights
  • Shooting/recoil
  • Quickly rotating
  • While under fire - don't get anti-suppression, if you don't agree pretend I didn't mention this one

This would make firing quickly after performing something other than aiming harder and produce that innaccuracy that the OP is after while not betraying those who want the "visual" realism.

I think weapon misalignment is a biggie and is missing from most games. Arma does it the best out of all of them but its still not on par with reality. Right now it is to quick and easy bring the sight up perfectly into alignment after running around a corner. These things should take time to get 100% "perfect".

for what a visual or accuracy suppression in a game ? when you in cover behind a wall and my mg gunner pinned you - for what i need visual oder spray suppression ? when you go up you down whats the problem with suppression ? your right or wrong game play give it automatic ! only for the AI is this a good option. for a human not !

I think it would be cool to have more sight misalignment and sway though during and after things like:

Sight misalignment is what is missing when fatigued.

I suggest you play Project Reality for BF2, dispersion is used there heavily as it is the only way of preventing people from sniping one half a second after stopping within the BF2 engine. I find it infuriating as there is no way of knowing what your dispersion is until you pull the trigger and accidentally hit a barn 45 degrees to the left of whatever you were aiming for. No thanks.

^this. I've experienced this, but the opposite. On Kurba Dam, not Project Reality though, it was a sniper only server. I had noticed a guy running across the bridge, and at that moment, he was too close to do anything accuracy wise. Guess what i did. I hip aimed 65 degrees to the left and up, then jerked the mouse in a random direction, fired... AND GOT THE KILL. Tell me how. That is what we DONT need in Arma.

Sight misalignment is what is missing when fatigued.

Agreed.

I disagree with dispersion unless it is a mechanical description of some sort such as overheating. As mentioned before, we already have accuracy dispersion out to an effective distance and therefore effective ranges and shooter qualities are apparent. That's enough for me. Any kind of dispersion gimmick tends to dig away at the playability of a game. I remember Raven Shield you could be at the distance of two meters, facing the target, with your muzzle at his chest - instinctive shooting per say - and the dispersion values could place the round far outside the zone of accuracy you would of expected to see, within a few inches, to the point where engaging could have a round go over and past his SHOULDER and hit behind him. It was insanity.

Statistically speaking, law enforcement (highly trained with their weapons) tend to hit 1 in 4 or 5 shots within 25 meters, and far fewer outside of that (roughly remembering this). I think typical kill rates in the military are 20 rounds : 1 kill (how accurate this is is open to debate of course).

In an actual engagement.*

This includes: suppressive fire, tactical maneuver, ad hoc shooting positions, taking fire, high duress.

That has physiological, psychological, physical and mental properties. If that's what you're trying to fit into dispersion values then you would have to give details on how it would work.

Statistically speaking, law enforcement (highly trained with their weapons) tend to hit 1 in 4 or 5 shots within 25 meters, and far fewer outside of that (roughly remembering this). I think typical kill rates in the military are 20 rounds : 1 kill (how accurate this is is open to debate of course)..

Whoa, I did not see this. The vast majority of law enforcement are not even close to highly trained with their weapons. In the U.S. most departments only require you to fire your weapon 2-4 times per year, and there are very few officers who fire more than the required amount. I have no problem with the police, but they are not the best example of trained shooters.

As for dispersion effects, it's really hard to put numbers to an action that is entirely dependent on both individual skill and psychological effects. No two people are going to react the same way in a gunfight; accordingly, you'll find a great deal of disagreement about how those factors should affect dispersion values.

Edited by roshnak