Sign in to follow this  
UltimateBawb

A-143 Buzzard Far too Slow / Weak

Overpowered. Overpowered? Are you fucking kidding me? This game has no place for that kind of thinking. Get out.

If it's powerful in real life, it's powerful in game. Period.

This^

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by B00tsy View Post

it also still annoyes me that we only have 1 proper airfield on altis and for the rest small soft airstrips where half of them are not suited for fixed wings.

Git gud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVhm6VOTzu4

^^^^^

I LOL'd. I am the only person who can land and take off the Buzzard from the Smallest airfield on the map. The small grassy one. ONLY person.

Overpowered. Overpowered? Are you fucking kidding me? This game has no place for that kind of thinking. Get out.

If it's powerful in real life, it's powerful in game. Period.

Your point is only valid so long as things are represented with any accuracy, they are not.

Arma may have more depth to its gameplay but when it comes to realistic portrayals of military hardware it's still just an arcade game of the same caliber as battlefield.

I am the only person who can land and take off the Buzzard from the Smallest airfield on the map. The small grassy one. ONLY person.

Is this a ruse? I can't even tell any more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1GhRzWL88w

Your point is only valid so long as things are represented with any accuracy, they are not.

Arma may have more depth to its gameplay but when it comes to realistic portrayals of military hardware it's still just an arcade game of the same caliber as battlefield.

Do you know how this game works? Realism is portrayed best by core game mechanics, game mechanics which you likely know nothing about given you've joined literally one day ago. If A3 is the only Arma title you've played and you're comparing it to BF3 then you're either ignorant or trolling. People with that mindset fill the demand for watered down realism.

Realism is portrayed best by core game mechanics

Such as?

A medical/injury system?

Positional audio?

Bipods/weapon resting?

FBCB2-like features?

Radar, ECM pods and ARM's?

Such as?

A medical/injury system?

Positional audio?

Bipods/weapon resting?

FBCB2-like features?

Radar, ECM pods and ARM's?

- Realistic parabolic and terminal ballistics (a massive leap over other games)

- Vehicle component simulation (though still somewhat elementary)

- Fatigue and weight system

- Inventory system

- Fuel use

Obviously many things are lacking but very basic things set this game apart. Honestly the ballistic model of Arma makes me fall in love with it; actual drag, mass, and momentum is calculated (though wind simulation on ballistics is still missing).

Honestly the ballistic model of Arma makes me fall in love with it; actual drag, mass, and momentum is calculated (though wind simulation on ballistics is still missing).

Oh? And does shot placement count for anything? Does the location of a gun shot wound have any impact at all on gameplay?

This is again coming back to the fundamental problem with the point you tried to make, that we shouldn't complain about things which are overpowered because it's realistic for them to be so when the simple fact of the matter is that the very crude approximations we see in arma are in no way representative of real life scenarios.

ESPECIALLY NOT WHEN THE GODDAMNED AI IS SO STONE DEAD RETARDED

I've been proven half way wrong... I'm not the only one who can take off from that airfield, but he placed the jet there instead of landing first, THEN taking off, which many cannot do... Still.

---------- Post added at 19:07 ---------- Previous post was at 19:03 ----------

Oh? And does shot placement count for anything? Does the location of a gun shot wound have any impact at all on gameplay?

This is again coming back to the fundamental problem with the point you tried to make, that we shouldn't complain about things which are overpowered because it's realistic for them to be so when the simple fact of the matter is that the very crude approximations we see in arma are in no way representative of real life scenarios.

Off topic, but hey, bullets do fuck you over. I couldn't aim yesterday because i got shot in the arms. It cost me my life.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

Actually shot placement does affect gameplay. Being shot in the arms makes it harder to aim, shot in the legs slows or disables movement short of a crawl, etc. That's no excuse not to strive for realism. And yes, the AI can be terrible.

We should always ask BI with the intent for more realism. That's a major part of the Arma series. If things are not realistic, we should repeatedly ask and add pressure to BI to fix these until they do.

We should always ask BI with the intent for more realism. That's a major part of the Arma series. If things are not realistic, we should repeatedly ask and add pressure to BI to fix these until they do.

^this

I've been proven half way wrong... I'm not the only one who can take off from that airfield, but he placed the jet there instead of landing first, THEN taking off, which many cannot do... Still.

Anyone can do it

a

n

y

o

n

e

http://youtu.be/v78a0epN6r4

Honestly the ballistic model of Arma makes me fall in love with it; actual drag, mass, and momentum is calculated (though wind simulation on ballistics is still missing).
Unless things have changed since ArmA2, ArmA 3 doesn't model the drag coefficient as a function of velocity. It models drag as a function of velocity, but the coefficient remains constant. In reality, the coefficient should be be a function of velocity, air density, the shape of the projectile, and other variables I'm sure I'm not aware of.

The effect of velocity is is quite large. Here's an example I grabbed from a report at dtic.mil:

556_cdrag.png

The angle of attack of the projectile should also come into play (although I believe this is already the case, at least for bombs), as well as gyroscopic drift. Also, as you said, wind should play an effect, although this would be more difficult to implement; wind would have to visibly affect foliage, dust, and other game objects in order to be believable.

This is low priority stuff compared to many current issues with the game, but I definitely wouldn't say that ArmA ballistics are realistic.

Edited by jaemn

Anyone can do it

a

n

y

o

n

e

http://youtu.be/v78a0epN6r4

Your right. Though i witnessed countless kids crash over and over. Good flying.

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Unless things have changed since ArmA2, ArmA 3 doesn't model the drag coefficient as a function of velocity. It models drag as a function of velocity, but the coefficient remains constant. In reality, the coefficient should be be a function of velocity, air density, the shape of the projectile, and other variables I'm sure I'm not aware of.

The effect of velocity is is quite large. Here's an example I grabbed from a report at dtic.mil:

The angle of attack of the projectile should also come into play (although I believe this is already the case, at least for bombs), as well as gyroscopic drift. Also, as you said, wind should play an effect, although this would be more difficult to implement; wind would have to visibly affect foliage, dust, and other game objects in order to be believable.

This is low priority stuff compared to many current issues with the game, but I definitely wouldn't say that ArmA ballistics are realistic.

Wind DOES effect other objects in game, such as all foliage and even rain. I don't know about clouds. Smoke from vehicles and hand tossed grenades are also effected by wind. There was a script id found long ago for making the wind overly strong, but i cant remember where i got it.