nkey

Task Force Arrowhead Radio

nkey, has the plugin been updated or we can update only the addon? Also, same question about the userconfig.

Edited by Variable

The TS plugin is not working. It wont connect to the game and is not giving any errors besides that when i click on my name it says A: and no version number. Help Appreciated.

So I'm having a new issue with this latest patch, there's only one server I've seen it on, they run TFAR on the server, and when I load into the game, I can select a slot, and the game will go through the entire loading screen towards spawning in before crashing. If I just keep trying and trying it will eventually work, but is subject to crash if I change slot. The only fix I found so far was to preload TFAR by creating a LAN MP server going into a mission, then backing out and joining the server I want to play on. I'm not sure why this has happened, but I'm wondering if there's another possible fix, I was thinking perhaps there's some way to preload it in the game command line or something like that. If anyone knows of a solution it would be appreciated.

I noticed the game also seems to forget what frequencies I had set when I load loadouts, but once I set it after joining a game it will remember it. All smaller stuff, the big one was the crashing until I was told of that method which worked, it's not such a huge deal now, but is worth trying to fix if there is a way to.

The TS plugin is not working. It wont connect to the game and is not giving any errors besides that when i click on my name it says A: and no version number. Help Appreciated.

Strange, works for many people...

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

So I'm having a new issue with this latest patch, there's only one server I've seen it on, they run TFAR on the server, and when I load into the game, I can select a slot, and the game will go through the entire loading screen towards spawning in before crashing. If I just keep trying and trying it will eventually work, but is subject to crash if I change slot. The only fix I found so far was to preload TFAR by creating a LAN MP server going into a mission, then backing out and joining the server I want to play on. I'm not sure why this has happened, but I'm wondering if there's another possible fix, I was thinking perhaps there's some way to preload it in the game command line or something like that. If anyone knows of a solution it would be appreciated.

I noticed the game also seems to forget what frequencies I had set when I load loadouts, but once I set it after joining a game it will remember it. All smaller stuff, the big one was the crashing until I was told of that method which worked, it's not such a huge deal now, but is worth trying to fix if there iRTrys a way to.

Try to check game cache.

Getting reports from a new player who just bought the game:

TFAR unmutes EVERYONE, including hundreds of spammers/kids he had muted on an entirely different server.

Getting reports from a new player who just bought the game:

TFAR unmutes EVERYONE, including hundreds of spammers/kids he had muted on an entirely different server.

yes, works this way currently :(

How goes your progress on direct speech improvements?

Our community, as well as a number others I was in touch with recently made the switch to your competitor.

Add somekind of animation for radio tuning. So any other person could determine what you are actually doing.

I'm as obnoxious as I'm blunt. I do however try to soften things up to not hurt people's feelings but it isn't always possible.

So far we don't know anything about the progress of this mod and all we see are very minor fixes to keep the mod working with vanilla Arma 3 updates. We can't just sit and grind water, it's time to get things moving, whether Nkey is with us or not.

We can't just sit and grind water, it's time to get things moving, whether Nkey is with us or not.

You need to take yourself less seriously man, and start showing only gratitude to people who spend time for free on things you use.

Hi,

I still have a problem with the additional channel setting via script.

Setting the normal channel works without issues.

Code used:

private ["_i", "_count", "_TFRChannel", "_radio"];

if (canHaveRadio) then
{
_count = count (assignedItems player);

if (isTFR && canHaveRadio) then
{
	_radio = "tf_anprc152";
	//if (sidePlayer != attackerSide) then
	if (sidePlayer == east) then
	{
		_radio = "tf_fadak";
	};

player linkItem _radio;

// Wait for the new radio with ID to be added.
	waitUntil {[] call TFAR_fnc_haveSWRadio};

// Wait for server to assign squad channel if it isn't assigned.
	_TFRChannel = -1;
	waitUntil
	{
		_TFRChannel = (group player) getVariable ["TFRChannel", -1];
		_TFRChannel != -1
	};

// Set the short range channel to the squad channel.
	[[] call TFAR_fnc_activeSwRadio, _TFRChannel - 1] call TFAR_fnc_setSwChannel;

sleep .1;

// Set the additional channel to command channel (8).
	if (commandChannelEnabled) then
	{
		[[] call TFAR_fnc_activeSwRadio, 7] call TFAR_fnc_setAdditionalSwChannel;
	};
}
else
{
	player linkItem "ItemRadio";
};
};

This sets the channel but sometimes does not set the additional channel. commandChannelEnabled is initialized to true and only changed via an action script - An action I never used, so it should always be true, especially considering that sometimes the additional channel does get set.

For complete mission, look up DTAS.

Any idea why this isn't working? Am I doing something wrong or is this a problem with TFR? If it is TFR, will it be fixed?

Currently, it is rather confusing when you sometimes have the additional channel set and sometimes not, and even when it is set, only the players who also have it set can hear you, while those who had the bug cannot hear.

it's time to get things moving, whether Nkey is with us or not.

It's clear you feel strongly on this point. Why not learn to script and offer some help?

I'm in the process of that, as well as learning a programming language but I think the skills required to make a system work are a bit beyond my current level. As far as I understand, he'd have to replace whatever system he's using currently with Microsoft's DirectX XAudio2 if he wants to get good results.

Don't get me wrong, we love TFAR and we want it to improve, but how can you motivate a project that pretty much had no competition for a couple of years? ...by creating competition, I guess?... Maybe it's just me, huh?

Maybe it's just you.

My view is that a bit of competition can often be a healthy stimulus.

Whereas subtle threats and underhand comments about abandoning the mod as a user are not.

:)

TFAR is one of the most useful and popular addons out there. Some might say, indispensable. Provided free of charge.

Shedding a few disgruntled users would not affect the project at all. On the other hand, nkey seems to be one of the most active addon devs on these forums, always responding to user requests for help and features, in spite of the same questions being asked over and over. It is a huge and complex product, development must be planned properly and carefully. I'm sure there are internal priorities too.

From the exchanges I've seen, nou and nkey appear as colleagues in spite of working on products that cover very similar functionality. I've even seen them share code before. Perhaps in the purest sense they are indeed competitors but it doesn't feel that way to me.

If you'd like to remain better aware of progress then an idea would be to follow the activity on github.

How goes your progress on direct speech improvements?

Our community, as well as a number others I was in touch with recently made the switch to your competitor.

Latest release has some enhanments for direct speech, more in progress.

---------- Post added at 09:59 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

I'm as obnoxious as I'm blunt. I do however try to soften things up to not hurt people's feelings but it isn't always possible.

So far we don't know anything about the progress of this mod and all we see are very minor fixes to keep the mod working with vanilla Arma 3 updates. We can't just sit and grind water, it's time to get things moving, whether Nkey is with us or not.

Nkey is still here :)

---------- Post added at 10:04 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

Hi,

I still have a problem with the additional channel setting via script.

Setting the normal channel works without issues.

Code used:

private ["_i", "_count", "_TFRChannel", "_radio"];

if (canHaveRadio) then
{
_count = count (assignedItems player);

if (isTFR && canHaveRadio) then
{
	_radio = "tf_anprc152";
	//if (sidePlayer != attackerSide) then
	if (sidePlayer == east) then
	{
		_radio = "tf_fadak";
	};

player linkItem _radio;

// Wait for the new radio with ID to be added.
	waitUntil {[] call TFAR_fnc_haveSWRadio};

// Wait for server to assign squad channel if it isn't assigned.
	_TFRChannel = -1;
	waitUntil
	{
		_TFRChannel = (group player) getVariable ["TFRChannel", -1];
		_TFRChannel != -1
	};

// Set the short range channel to the squad channel.
	[[] call TFAR_fnc_activeSwRadio, _TFRChannel - 1] call TFAR_fnc_setSwChannel;

sleep .1;

// Set the additional channel to command channel (8).
	if (commandChannelEnabled) then
	{
		[[] call TFAR_fnc_activeSwRadio, 7] call TFAR_fnc_setAdditionalSwChannel;
	};
}
else
{
	player linkItem "ItemRadio";
};
};

This sets the channel but sometimes does not set the additional channel. commandChannelEnabled is initialized to true and only changed via an action script - An action I never used, so it should always be true, especially considering that sometimes the additional channel does get set.

For complete mission, look up DTAS.

Any idea why this isn't working? Am I doing something wrong or is this a problem with TFR? If it is TFR, will it be fixed?

Currently, it is rather confusing when you sometimes have the additional channel set and sometimes not, and even when it is set, only the players who also have it set can hear you, while those who had the bug cannot hear.

Looks like something with TFAR. could you try to put some "sleeps" in code?

As you can see I added the sleep .1; between the calls to TFAR_fnc_setSwChannel and TFAR_fnc_setAdditionalSwChannel, or should I add more?

I don't want to add too much delay, because this delays the whole player initialization process at the start of a round.

Note that that setSwChannel is always working as expected. Only the additional channel fails.

As you can see I added the sleep .1; between the calls to TFAR_fnc_setSwChannel and TFAR_fnc_setAdditionalSwChannel, or should I add more?

I don't want to add too much delay, because this delays the whole player initialization process at the start of a round.

Note that that setSwChannel is always working as expected. Only the additional channel fails.

Are you sure code executed only once always? Because second call to TFAR_fnc_setAdditionalSwChannel will disable it.

Check - https://github.com/michail-nikolaev/task-force-arma-3-radio/blob/master/arma3/@task_force_radio/addons/task_force_radio/functions/fn_setAdditionalSwChannel.sqf#L25-L29

From the exchanges I've seen, nou and nkey appear as colleagues in spite of working on products that cover very similar functionality. I've even seen them share code before. Perhaps in the purest sense they are indeed competitors but it doesn't feel that way to me.

Yes. There is no need to hate on one or the other. We are both working on similar things and we cover a lot of the same ground, but we also have a lot of goals that are very different as well. :)

Nkey, I got your PM, school is actually winding down this week, my last final is tonight. I started collecting stuff yesterday on how to integrate JVON, there is some stuff that needs to be moved around in the JVON plugin API code to make it not require the root JVON project so I'm going fix that up and get the headers over to you (it should only require headers, no libs or anything) ASAP with some documentation. ;)

NK I verified the integrity several times while I was looking for a fix and it's been all good every time. I tried it running only TFAR and CBA both the latest versions and if I don't preload it by creating a MP game first it will crash almost every time. I know a couple of people with this issue, it's not a huge deal because the fix only takes a minute before the game, but it would be nice not to have to do that, not sure why but it wasn't until the latest ARMA update that this began.

Yes. There is no need to hate on one or the other. We are both working on similar things and we cover a lot of the same ground, but we also have a lot of goals that are very different as well. :)

Nkey, I got your PM, school is actually winding down this week, my last final is tonight. I started collecting stuff yesterday on how to integrate JVON, there is some stuff that needs to be moved around in the JVON plugin API code to make it not require the root JVON project so I'm going fix that up and get the headers over to you (it should only require headers, no libs or anything) ASAP with some documentation. ;)

Thanks!

Having a issue, Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, After the last Arma 3 Patch, ALL TFAR radios, on their screens are Solid black. No text can be visible. Myself and 30+ players in my unit are all experiencing this issue. Using 0.9.7 Ver. of TFAR.

That is a confirmed bug and something that has been fixes in TFAR 0.9.8. Upgrade and the problem will be fixed ;)

That is a confirmed bug and something that has been fixes in TFAR 0.9.8. Upgrade and the problem will be fixed ;)

What is the link for that? I only see 0.9.7 on this thread.