nkey

Task Force Arrowhead Radio

[call activeLrRadio select 0, call activeLrRadio select 1, "35"] call setLrFrequency; 

Hello,

It probably has already been discussed. But I just saw yesterday's eve that after revive or respawn, the 152 short range radio is replaced by 148.

Is it because of the mission (Domination) or is there a way to change this behaviour?

Thanks

PS : about to re read all the posts ...

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

After respawn you'll get all radios you have before death replaced by radios of your faction. Settings of your active radio are saved beetween respawns. Or you got PRC 152 on the first respawn?

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

Looks like problem solved - it is required to have at least 3 letters in Arma3 nickname.

We got same behaviour here

OK will try perhaps the script to replace default freq ...

thank you all

Edited by gagi

We are planning to run this mod as a operation this satureday to check if it will be a replacement for acre everything ran fine but now we have a problem that is as soon as one certain player joins there is a big FAIL hint blinking for some reason.We reinstalled the mod 3 times (2 x PWS 1x manually) but there does not seem to be a way to get it running, the problem is just there with that single player everyone else is fine so the mission/server should be out of question.What can cause that / how can we fix it.

thx for the help

edit he hosted a game on his machine when he was alone the FAIL was displayed constantly as i joined it started flashing.This time no other mods were used .The rpt file came up with this

File task_force_radio\anprc152\anprc152.ext, line 83: '/anprc152_radio_dialog/next_channel.action': Missing ';' prior '}'
File task_force_radio\anprc152\anprc152.ext, line 93: '/anprc152_radio_dialog/prev_channel.action': Missing ';' prior '}'
File task_force_radio\anprc152\anprc152.ext, line 102: '/anprc152_radio_dialog/increase_volume.action': Missing ';' at the end of line
File task_force_radio\anprc152\anprc152.ext, line 112: '/anprc152_radio_dialog/decrease_volume.action': Missing ';' at the end of line
File task_force_radio\anprc148jem\anprc148jem.ext, line 85: '/anprc148jem_radio_dialog/prev_channel148.action': Missing ';' prior '}'
File task_force_radio\anprc148jem\anprc148jem.ext, line 95: '/anprc148jem_radio_dialog/next_channel148.action': Missing ';' prior '}'

Error in expression < _this select 1;
_value = _radio_object getVariable _radio_qualifier;
if (isNil >
 Error position: <getVariable _radio_qualifier;
if (isNil >
 Error getvariable: Type Array, expected Namespace,Object,Group,Control,Team member,Task,Location
File task_force_radio\client.sqf, line 274

Error in expression <_x};

} forEach (assignedItems player);
_result;
};

activeLrRadio = 
{
private >
 Error position: <_result;
};

activeLrRadio = 
{
private >
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _result
File task_force_radio\client.sqf, line 773
Error in expression <;
_variableName = format["%1_settings", _radio_id];    
missionNamespace setVariabl>
 Error position: <_radio_id];    
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _radio_id
File task_force_radio\client.sqf, line 133
Error in expression < 0;
_freq = _this select 1;
_settings = _radio_id call getSwSettings;
_settings >
 Error position: <_radio_id call getSwSettings;
_settings >
File task_force_radio\client.sqf, line 240

another edit:

okay we found post #94 issue description might help you with your issue though

Edited by subminuentisch

We are planning to run this mod as a operation this satureday to check if it will be a replacement for acre everything ran fine but now we have a problem that is as soon as one certain player joins there is a big FAIL hint blinking for some reason.We reinstalled the mod 3 times (2 x PWS 1x manually) but there does not seem to be a way to get it running, the problem is just there with that single player everyone else is fine so the mission/server should be out of question.What can cause that / how can we fix it.

thx for the help

edit he hosted a game on his machine when he was alone the FAIL was displayed constantly as i joined it started flashing.This time no other mods were used .The rpt file came up with this

File task_force_radio\anprc152\anprc152.ext, line 83: '/anprc152_radio_dialog/next_channel.action': Missing ';' prior '}'
File task_force_radio\anprc152\anprc152.ext, line 93: '/anprc152_radio_dialog/prev_channel.action': Missing ';' prior '}'
File task_force_radio\anprc152\anprc152.ext, line 102: '/anprc152_radio_dialog/increase_volume.action': Missing ';' at the end of line
File task_force_radio\anprc152\anprc152.ext, line 112: '/anprc152_radio_dialog/decrease_volume.action': Missing ';' at the end of line
File task_force_radio\anprc148jem\anprc148jem.ext, line 85: '/anprc148jem_radio_dialog/prev_channel148.action': Missing ';' prior '}'
File task_force_radio\anprc148jem\anprc148jem.ext, line 95: '/anprc148jem_radio_dialog/next_channel148.action': Missing ';' prior '}'

if (isNil >
 Error position: <getVariable _radio_qualifier;
if (isNil >
 Error getvariable: Type Array, expected Namespace,Object,Group,Control,Team member,Task,Location
File task_force_radio\client.sqf, line 274

Error in expression <_x};

} forEach (assignedItems player);
_result;
};

activeLrRadio = 
{
private >
 Error position: <_result;
};

activeLrRadio = 
{
private >
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _result
File task_force_radio\client.sqf, line 773
Error in expression <;
_variableName = format["%1_settings", _radio_id];    
 Error position: <_radio_id];    
File task_force_radio\client.sqf, line 133
Error in expression < 0;
_freq = _this select 1;
_settings = _radio_id call getSwSettings;
_settings >
 Error position: <_radio_id call getSwSettings;
_settings >
File task_force_radio\client.sqf, line 240

another edit:

okay we found post #94 issue description might help you with your issue though

So, is problem fixed? Is it because of '@'?

I suspect it is the @ in the name, knowing the player in question ;-)

jap the @ in his name was the issue so if you get a fail hint at the top right check names for @s

i suggest putting that in the known bugs so that that question doesnt come up for more people since that error is really counterintuitive

Edited by subminuentisch

for my "fast respond" idear:

1 hold button

1.1 gets all active radios

1.2 shows list (sorted after priority and colorcode for strengh)

2 player select the wanted radio (mwheel)

3 releases the button

btw have you planned to "nick/codename" the radios for better recognition (missionmaker and player shoud have this option)

for my "fast respond" idear:

1 hold button

1.1 gets all active radios

1.2 shows list (sorted after priority and colorcode for strengh)

2 player select the wanted radio (mwheel)

3 releases the button

btw have you planned to "nick/codename" the radios for better recognition (missionmaker and player shoud have this option)

Not sure I get your message regarding fast respond...

Also, each radio have unique number (in braces) - you may use them. Also, maybe it is good idea to add some letters to it.

jap the @ in his name was the issue so if you get a fail hint at the top right check names for @s

i suggest putting that in the known bugs so that that question doesnt come up for more people since that error is really counterintuitive

My suggestion is using a non-printable character, as those often do not appear in peoples names. Can easily be added using the toString command. More appropriate error handling can go from there.

We did an operation today with multiple radios and frequencies - our major problem was after respawning (BTC revive) while we changed radios to PRC 148's, it seemed that the long range radios (PRC 1523G's) switched frequencies. Other than that problem we had few if any issues.

All in all though; a BIG improvement to our Arma 3 @ACRE problems. I had maybe 1 guy drop from the game in 3.5 hours of action instead of everyone of us dropping multiple times to restart TS and reconnect, which was the problem we had with ACRE.

Is there some way to set frequencies on specific radios all the time? That is something I'd really appreciate.

We did an operation today with multiple radios and frequencies - our major problem was after respawning (BTC revive) while we changed radios to PRC 148's, it seemed that the long range radios (PRC 1523G's) switched frequencies. Other than that problem we had few if any issues.

All in all though; a BIG improvement to our Arma 3 @ACRE problems. I had maybe 1 guy drop from the game in 3.5 hours of action instead of everyone of us dropping multiple times to restart TS and reconnect, which was the problem we had with ACRE.

Is there some way to set frequencies on specific radios all the time? That is something I'd really appreciate.

I decided first to release 0.8.2 version almost without any new functionality but with set of bugfixes. Can't promise but should be done in 1-1.5 week. Versions will be compatible.

UPDATE:

This is a list of issued planned to be fixed in 0.8.2 - https://github.com/michail-nikolaev/task-force-arma-3-radio/issues?milestone=7&state=open

Edited by nkey

Hey nkey. Love the mod, so much smoother than ACRE.

However a couple of issues.

1) When playing Invade and Annex, when we die (as Blufor) and get revived, the radio swaps out, even though we started off with the default radio. I know you've answered similar questions to this a couple times but this circumstance is slightly different. We're not running any extra mods or addons, just vanilla Arma 3 with TFR.

2) The 152 (haven't tested the 148 and FADAK) doesn't seem to have the range that it's supposed to. Only works properly within 600 metres or so. However, I am going to test this again ASAP.

Future features:

1) Having the short range radios as an item would be really helpful, similar to the way the long range radios are backpacks.

2) The ability to have a radio set to right or left ear, and another radio to the other ear

3) A third radio for each faction for short range stuff (assuming I haven't tested the 152 correctly and its range is 3km) for inner squad use.

Cheers

We made tests and 148 : 2 kms

152 : 4kms

1523 : 20 kms

But the most annoying is that 152 is replaced by 148 at respawn and 1523 by a racked radio ... appart from that this mod DO WORK with latest TS server and client without a single crash !!!

We made tests and 148 : 2 kms

152 : 4kms

1523 : 20 kms

But the most annoying is that 152 is replaced by 148 at respawn and 1523 by a racked radio ... appart from that this mod DO WORK with latest TS server and client without a single crash !!!

Hm. I almost sure both PRC148JEM and PRC152 and even FADAK have 3km range :)

I hope I'll able to finish bug-fix 0.8.2 update soon.

Currently you may change radio codes using API to set the same values for BLUEFOR and INDEPENDENT. In such case 148 will be able to transmit for the 152.

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Just small note - we conducted successful 136 players game with mod( http://arma3.swec.se/game/data/881268 )

Nkey, I'm very impressed by the amount of work that has gone into this mod. I'm currently in the process of testing it with my group, hopefully we'll be able to switch over from our primarily ACRE setup, if only until the release of ACRE2, the work you've put into it is remarkable.

I have noticed a lot of overlap in the posts in this Thread though with suggestions being made over and over by multiple people. My suggestion to you is to update your OP with a "Possible Consideration" section with the suggestions people have been giving you, if only to keep the duplicates to a minimum.

I've seen you supporting your mod on multiple forums (reddit, UO, BIS, etc.) which I'm very impressed with. I just don't want you to get overwhelmed with all the attention/suggestions and have you get burnt out with all your replies.

The work you've already put up is fantastic, and the minor tweaks are just making it better. Keep up the good work.

ACRE is causing us issues up to 50 members. Looking forward to trying this out, our addon pack team are looking into it now.

Thanks for all the hard work, really appreciated.

Best - RG crew.

Has anyone tested this under a significant COOP event? 60+ players with a lot of AI and mission scripting?

I'd like to know the experience with that. The main loop in this is running with a 0.2 second sleep, which means at most there is going to be 5 updates a second for positional data per person. I'd like to know how that number flucutates under heavy scripting load, or if there is some significant changes to the way the scheduler handles things in A3 compared to A2 (where it would break, since this is how we originally did ACRE pre-fall of 2010).

Has anyone tested this under a significant COOP event? 60+ players with a lot of AI and mission scripting?

I'd like to know the experience with that. The main loop in this is running with a 0.2 second sleep, which means at most there is going to be 5 updates a second for positional data per person. I'd like to know how that number flucutates under heavy scripting load, or if there is some significant changes to the way the scheduler handles things in A3 compared to A2 (where it would break, since this is how we originally did ACRE pre-fall of 2010).

No, sleep for 0.2 second are called after ALL units processed. So, 5 updates per second for everyone player.

UPDATE:

Oops, looks like you said same thing...My fault.

No, sleep for 0.2 second are called after ALL units processed. So, 5 updates per second for everyone player.

UPDATE:

Oops, looks like you said same thing...My fault.

As far as your code goes this is the main single performance drawback. If you move that to a per-frame handler you will see your stability go way up (though you might need to adjust your code to not hit FPS, always a trade off!).

For example in ACRE we update speakers every single frame and we lose in even heavy talking situations only 2-5FPS (and that number actually scales well, lower initial FPS means a slightly smaller amount of FPS loss from ACRE itself, mainly due to inefficiencies in other places in the engine that ACRE doesn't contribute to).

Also I haven't looked at how you are handling radio IDs but you might want to make sure there are no instances where you will have race conditions. These can occur in scheduled vs. non-scheduled code execution in SQF.

As far as your code goes this is the main single performance drawback. If you move that to a per-frame handler you will see your stability go way up (though you might need to adjust your code to not hit FPS, always a trade off!).

For example in ACRE we update speakers every single frame and we lose in even heavy talking situations only 2-5FPS (and that number actually scales well, lower initial FPS means a slightly smaller amount of FPS loss from ACRE itself, mainly due to inefficiencies in other places in the engine that ACRE doesn't contribute to).

Also I haven't looked at how you are handling radio IDs but you might want to make sure there are no instances where you will have race conditions. These can occur in scheduled vs. non-scheduled code execution in SQF.

Thanks, I have tested your ideas quickly. Currently (without any specific optimisations) procesing of one player takes about 0.12ms. So, in case of 140 players and 35 FPS we will get about 32.9 FPS (in case of updating every 10th frame). Every person will be updated in 285ms (almost equal 0.2 sleep) - fine for 140 players game. In case of 60 player - 34 FPS. Also, there is a lot of things may be optimized here.

Regarding radio IDs - they are processed by a server in single loop (fast enough) - so problem occurs only if some script cloning items for some reason.

Thanks, I have tested your ideas quickly. Currently (without any specific optimisations) procesing of one player takes about 0.12ms. So, in case of 140 players and 35 FPS we will get about 32.9 FPS (in case of updating every 10th frame). Every person will be updated in 285ms (almost equal 0.2 sleep) - fine for 140 players game. In case of 60 player - 34 FPS. Also, there is a lot of things may be optimized here.

Regarding radio IDs - they are processed by a server in single loop (fast enough) - so problem occurs only if some script cloning items for some reason.

Except remember that is a 285ms block on rendering every 10 frames, so every 10 frames there will be a quarter second delay before the next frame! Be careful! Like I said, getting to the point where you have code executing reliably every frame with no significant performance hit is significantly hard.

For example in ACRE we only process people speaking, no reason to send positional data of people who aren't speaking... But again this adds complexity, because now you need to not send audio until you get new positional data, otherwise you get glitches where someone who said something on the left side of you, who is now on the right side of you makes a blip of sound where they once were on the left!

We've handled this multiple ways in ACRE, there are drawbacks to most... But I think how we do it in ACRE1 is acceptable, and how we do it in ACRE2 is even better (and totally different from ACRE1).

Just wanted to say that I love how NouberNou is helping a "competitor". Thanks to everyone involved for making the Arma community a better one!

Except remember that is a 285ms block on rendering every 10 frames, so every 10 frames there will be a quarter second delay before the next frame! Be careful! Like I said, getting to the point where you have code executing reliably every frame with no significant performance hit is significantly hard.

No, it will cause 16ms (0.12*140) freeze in case of naive approach. 285ms - is time to get fresh data for all playes. Of course we should do processing every frame for 1/10 of players to avoid freezes.

For example in ACRE we only process people speaking, no reason to send positional data of people who aren't speaking... But again this adds complexity, because now you need to not send audio until you get new positional data, otherwise you get glitches where someone who said something on the left side of you, who is now on the right side of you makes a blip of sound where they once were on the left!

Yes, I was thinking about it too. But also I need some info to prepare mute status for players, in future check them for some anti-radio devices, etc. Looks like after optimisation it will easy to send data about each players (few players per sample, update nearest peoples more frequently, update heavy-load attributes less frequently). Will think about.

Just wanted to say that I love how NouberNou is helping a "competitor". Thanks to everyone involved for making the Arma community a better one!

Haha, think of it more as competing interests in my own work. I'd love to see ACRE continue to do better than TFAR, but I also work on ACE and know that people will use this, so I don't want the overhead of a popular mod causing problems with another popular mod! :p

But yea I like to naturally help out where I can.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

No, it will cause 16ms (0.12*140) freeze in case of naive approach. 285ms - is time to get fresh data for all playes. Of course we should do processing every frame for 1/10 of players to avoid freezes.

Yes, I was thinking about it too. But also I need some info to prepare mute status for players, in future check them for some anti-radio devices, etc. Looks like after optimisation it will easy to send data about each players (few players per sample, update nearest peoples more frequently, update heavy-load attributes less frequently). Will think about.

Haha, didn't see the every 10th frame bit in the original post. Yea, breaking it up over frames is a good way to alleviate load, though with sound you really want to make sure you are doing updates as fast as possible because there is a pretty noticeable effect when sound is not updated smoothly, especially when combined with visuals. Aural sensory is a fairly complex set of psychological effects...

hello.

I've started using this mod and noticed something weird.

I'm using vk markers mod at the same time and I can't use their mod(ie markers they add) by double clicking on map.

I disable TFR and all is fine about the marker.

Does anyone have any clue why this is happening and possibilities for a fix?