Sign in to follow this  
HeliJunkie

[Early Preview] 3D Editor

FreeDee

Alpha V0.021 Released!

Hey all!

After such a great response I'm happy to realease a first usable alpha Version.

The editor now also includes a simple way to export/import objects with .csv file.

Download:

You can download the .zip file on dev-heaven: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/hej-3d/files

System requirements:

C++ Redistributable (Microsoft Download Site) [on x64 Systems also install the "vcredist_x86.exe"]

.Net Framework 4 - Full (download here)

Installation:

Extract the contents of the .zip file to the root of Arma3.

This will extract:

• a mod-folder "@FreeDee"
  • two mission files in the "\Misision" subdirectory.

Add the parameter "-mod=@FreeDee" to your game launch link (or within steam).

For more information you can visit "How to install and launch addons" on armaholic.com

Important: Don't use the "Arma2Net" mod with this mod! A modified version is already included in this mod!

Start editing:

From main menu select "Play" > "Scenarios".

Then select "FreeDee on Altis" or "FreeDee on Stratis", depends on wich island you want to start editing.

Please use "Restart" or "Play" (do not doubleclick on mission and don't use "Resume" button)

Manual:

A simple manual can be downloaded here: FreeDee_Manual_0.02.pdf

Please also watch video for first introduction.

CSV-file locations:

The exported data will be saved in your documents folder under "HEJ_3D\CSV\%WORLDNAME%\..." [where %WORLDNAME% will be Stratis or Altis].

Help wanted!

Hope there are some developers out there who want to contribute to this project.

Even if you are not familar with scripting you may want to create/maintain the manual or create some tutorial videos for this project.

Please contact me with a PM over my profile.

Special thanks to:

- dev-heaven.net for the project space

- SCOTT_NZ and his great Arma2Net mod

- mrflay for hints and tests

- gagagu for his offer to contribute

Changelog:

v0.021

- (hopefully) fixed CDT, recompiled arma2net

- fixed error message on mission startup (.. is not a class)

v0.02

- first alpha

Hope to get feedback and happy editing!

HeliJunkie

Edited by HeliJunkie
New Version / Add manual link / add system requirements

Very useful, can't wait to try it out. Keep us updated! btw if you need help with anything, im an not an expert, but i'd gladly try to do my best to help you out.

Edited by wok

Looks fantastic, can't wait to try it out too.

Does posScreenToWorld when executed on the top of an object give you the correct height? If so it would be neat to be able to "snap" objects onto the top of objects (like the one in your video onto the pallet).

Did you consider to ask i0n0s if you can make use of his work (RTE) and include parts in your new approach?

Does posScreenToWorld when executed on the top of an object give you the correct height? If so it would be neat to be able to "snap" objects onto the top of objects (like the one in your video onto the pallet).

No, it doesn t. But maybe its possibel to calculate with bounding box.

Will keep it in mind. Think its a good idea.

Thx for reply.

Awesome! :yay:

does it read the configs so it can place mod-content?

Yes.

---------- Post added at 07:50 ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 ----------

;2562474']Did you consider to ask i0n0s if you can make use of his work (RTE) and include parts in your new approach?

No, currently not. But... why not. Will try to contact him.

If you add an export to txt option with classname, XYZ and orientation, I will propose myself for marriage :)

Seriously: this thing will allow beautiful terrains with less time and frustration - If Id be able, Id started sth like this myself for the terrain section already.

Maybe this code snippet, activated through action/button, could be of help regarding export? I used it once to determine the position of the surrounding objects:

_result = "";

{
_pos = getPos _x;
_type = (typeOf _x);
_result = _result + format ["Type: %1  |  Position: %2", _type, _pos];
diag_log format ["Type: %1  |  Position: %2  | Object: %3", _type, _pos, _x];

} foreach nearestObjects [player, [], 10000];

hint "Surrounding objects exported to RPT";

diag_log _result;

Appreciate your work and am closely following :)

Edited by ZeroG

Cool! I'm all for this!

May I suggest for the controls, make them similar if not the same as they are in the regular 2d editor, but of course with more options

this way regular editors can jump right in without having to learn all sorts of new tools, or have customizable controls.

So how far are you with this before you can release it?

If you add an export to txt option with classname, XYZ and orientation, I will propose myself for marriage :)

Will try to add such a feature.

So how far are you with this before you can release it?

As mentioned in the thread title (Early preview), it will take some weeks (maybe months) to release an alpha.

It's very depending on my spare time. I also have a job and a family :)

(And my son fallen today and is currently in hospital. But hopefully only till tomorrow)

Nice job mate! We are waiting something like this from a while :bounce3:

Keep working on it, this will be really appreciated by mission makers like me! :cool:

It's very depending on my spare time. I also have a job and a family :)

(And my son fallen today and is currently in hospital. But hopefully only till tomorrow)

Hope your son is ok...

Thank you for trying this. I hate the one bi gives us. The RTE was awesome but not for A3. I got used to using the bi version and I wonder a few things. The worst thing about it is that there is no "class". I have to remove all soldier addons or else I'll have 9 "rifleman" and the only way to find the right one you want is to place them down, then delete, then place down, then delete, until you get the right one. I saw your video quickly but not sure if it will do that too. Well, if you said it would be like the 2d editor then it should be there right? I answered my own question.

The other thing is I want to make sure there is a "init" box. I can't set vectors or stances or weapons or anything in the 3d.

I live on the editor, that's almost all I do. So if you need testers or anything I would be happy to help.

Hope your son is ok...

YES! He's home and all is fine!

The other thing is I want to make sure there is a "init" box. I can't set vectors or stances or weapons or anything in the 3d.

Currenty not (of course). It's really an early version. And I have only some hours a week to work on it.

But I think there will be one in the future. Makes sense.

Awesome! Will this work like Arma 2's 3D editor?

Which 3D Editor do you mean?

BI's one or the RTE?

My favorite was the "3DE" in Arma(1) from Mapfact.

For all of you who want's to help:

Please vote for this Arma3 issue on "lineIntersectsWith" statement.

Currently I'm using a (bad) workaround to select units (men) in the GUI.

Selecting "objects/vehicles" works well.

You will find me also in the list of Notes.

Maybe this will push it a little bit on BIS fix list. :rolleyes:

My best wishes for your son.

Edited by gagagu

this looks great.

i was hoping with A3 there was a sort of 3d preview window that would enable the editor user to see how things would look and line up in the game without having to put down an object and then preview then adjust and repeat.

This almost does the opposite (large preview with small map), but i like it a lot.

Keep up the good work.

This almost does the opposite (large preview with small map), but i like it a lot.

Wasn't to see in the video, but you can change mapsize with "M". In the video the map was in default size. With M you can iterate between "default => full screen => minimized => default.....".

So Glad someone with the ability has taken it upon themselves to get a 3d editor in game. Completely forgot how dependent I was on RTE for Arma 2.

Best of luck with your endeavor and I cannot wait to try this out.

Excellent idea, something that BIS should have implemented themselves really. When you release this it will be an fantastic tool for mission makers. Keep up the good work!