Sign in to follow this  
RavoC

Strange stuttering in Arma and the cause I can't locate (Video memory related)..

Ok so two weeks ago one of my best friends came over to pick up on some arma 2 LAN again after a long time and everything worked fine, well except for the usual; sorting out the mods and so forth. Not that it was any problem, I always back up a lot of stuff off my computer and I've been playing Arma 2 since release and used to play with CWC mods back in the days too.

Anyway, after he was gone I wanted to relocate my computer to another room so after this was done I started the computer again, all of a sudden it said Windows couldn't start due to some problems, it was trying to repair it (I noticed that on my motherboard a red light was flashing just above my GPU) I'd let the repair run and it said it couldn't fix the problem (Without telling me what it was); BAM, I got the hand and it shut down. I thought ohh well let's give it another shot, it started up no problem this time. Good everything worked all the games ran good until I got into Arma 2. I started noticing lag in the menu which was odd, I loaded up Utes placed a soldier and looked around some and I started having mayor lag issues (Nothing was changed from my video setting from the last years I've been playing Arma (2000 hours or so). I thought something must have been wrong with my computer due to the fact that it couldn't start windows up after I moved it. So I started randomly looking around everywhere if things where in order. They checked out really found nothing strange. But the problem was still there, so I thought perhaps something is wrong with my power cable or supply in the room I moved my pc to or something but that wasn't it either after plugging into a few other power sources around the room. So I decided to reinstall my windows and everything that comes with that, drivers, arma, get my backup copied over it. Arma ran finally after hours of waiting, but the problem was still there. So I thought well lets see if it has to do with arma itself, I started changing my video settings (that I've used for years with no problems whatsoever).

Then I found out what it was; Video memory was set to Default and when I put it at Very High it was gone. I thought well what the heck no problem I just put it on that, but I forgot that the fact is that on Very High I noticed that it ran good but it started lagging more frequently under load (you could say bottlenecking). In battles especially, I never had this lag on the Default setting, but since I moved my computer and I had the error on start up (without specification) the default setting ran worse FPS than I'd experienced on my laptop which I tried years ago just for the sake of it. Now I understand I could play at video memory Very High but it just makes it unbearable to play even in smaller fire fights (Say me 7 AI friendlies and just a town with insurgents on warfare) and I see a lot of low textures popping in and out etc because it just isn't using my GPU's full potential.

I played on a lot of drivers and never had problems, my latest was 13.3 beta 1, 2 or 3. Can't remember which beta exactly. But I ran it for quite a long time. Anyway. I thought well lets try the latest; 13.9 still got the problem. I don't know what it could be. I never had problems like this with the arma settings or my rig and I've been fine tuning it for a long time and never had to change anything when I got it where it had to be.

(I also tried to play without mods mostly but it isn't mod related) Even Arma 2 itself without OA is showing the same problem. But none of my other games are.

My rig and in-game settings:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz (2 CPUs)

OCZ 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz ( x 2 = 4096MB )

Maxtor MaXLine Pro 500GB

XFX ATI Radeon HD 6870 Black Edition 1gb GDDR5

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Asus P5K, P35, Socket-775, DDR2, ATX, GbLan, PCI-ex16 demo

Video Settings:

Resolution: 1650x1050

3d resolution: 1650x1050

Textures: Very High

Video Memory: Default (but doesnt work now^^)

AF: Very High

AA: Low

ATOC: All trees+Grass

Terrain detail: Low

Object detail: Normal

Shadow detail: Very High

HDR: Normal

PPAA: Disabled

Postprocess effect: Normal

Vsync: On now used to have it off a long time (But not related)

Any help would be appreciated. I've seen more people having similar issues with the same card as I or ATI in general, but I never had those really and out of their posts and searching around I couldn't really get a solution and most of their problems weren't much alike nor much help to establish what the problem even was. I know it's not temperature related since I use MSI afterburner and it runs 58 C max.

BTW my Arma 2 CO version is 1.62 stable.

Thanks in advance.

RavoC

Edited by RavoC
Typo and added arma version

hmm I would check your profile .cfg settings to ensure they haven't changed. Sounds like maybe your video detection settings(or related) got messed up somehow. Probably be wise to turn VSync off unless you are capable to run it(research it, lots of forum discussions). I had the exact same problem when I moved my computer, turns out that the harddrive cable had wiggled loose and threw a startup error!!! As for the GPU have you checked all your ATI catalyst settings?? I would recreate a graphics setting profile for your game again, couldn't hurt... Hope this helps

Edited by WarLord554

Well I always have my CCC settings on default so that isn't the problem. I also tried to use a newly made profile in-game with all settings on default (new cfg etc) but that also isn't the problem, vsync off also, the default video memory still lags for no particular reason. I'll try to see if I can reconnect stuff in my case, I've build it myself so that's not going to be a problem but I don't really think that could be it, it's more like arma can't read my GPU on auto any more when it's on default and it just allocates some shitty default profile for the video memory that just renders my GPU useless.

We have the exact same video card, I tried to reproduce your problem using all your exact settings, mine worked fine and smooth. There is a 1.63 patch that was recently released, you may try it. Here is a pic of my CCC settings in case it helps. It's for my A3 but I have the same settings for A2:CO

CCC2013-11-2217-48-21-213_zps8c49d9e2.jpg

Well I tried that but it doesn't change much, the very high setting runs very smooth but default still gives a constant small lag, while the very high setting lags more on load then default used to do. I'm going to try another few things perhaps reinstall the game without any mods or old profiles see what it does (I tried that already but I'll just see if I can render any potential problem out of there and see what it does) if that doesn't work I'll try the 1.63 patch, but it's so strange since 1.62 never gave me any problems. If that doesn't work I'll try to get my video card out and see if putting it back in changes anything although it's pretty much a long shot.

Ok I fixed it, apparently my video card wasn't connected correctly into it's slot, I used to have an 260gtx before and it was locked in the slot (With some small plastic "trigger") I destroyed that thing back then cause it was really hard getting it loose when I had to get the card out to clean, nearly impossible so I sawed it of with a real small knife back then (That card died due to overheating). Anyway, because I didn't have that trigger in place any more the back of my case pulled back the slot of my card a bit so it didn't read the card out correctly apparently. It didn't error though, I just made a small home made fix for it (broke a bit of the back of my case and bended it, lol) anyway now everything works again, if it wasn't for arma I wouldn't even noticed haha. Only pc game good for real pc rendering and optimising. So if anyone has problems like I had with video memory settings in-game acting strange I'd suggest to check your video card's slot and if it's in there properly.

My video memory setting is now on default again and running steady, matter a fact it's running even better then what the very high setting did when I had the problem. :) Happy me.

Thanks for your support and happy gaming. :D

Oh wow that's awesome. Yeah I told ya when I moved my comp to the next room it messed all kinds of stuff up! Glad you got it :yay: