Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Space genre games

Elite: Dangerous Alpha dogfighting was released today to the uppity backers who parted with *gasp* $200 to have access to it. So far, many people over at Star Citizen are raving about the overall feel, sound and design on this early build. Things not as chipper at CiG either as it's looking more and more that our 'Dogfighting Module which was promised for 2013 "no matter what" is nowhere in sight.

RPS take on ED:http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/13/hands-on-with-elite-dangerous/

i warned the StarCitizen fans they wasting too much money on single title

instead of supporting Elite: Dangerous to get healthy competetion lol

Just had to share this footage of some particularly impressive pilot skills from todays Elite Alpha featuring newtonian physics:

That engine thrust effects literally gives me goosebumps

Now thats some real physics very impressive indeed. I was looking at X:rebirth (only thing to give some in game flight at the time) and was shocked at the movement, now THIS is exactly what I was expecting to see in this day & age. Sound is fantastic too on the thrust I agree.

i seriously do hope the guided projectile wanin sounds and visual warnings are like in Independence Wars 2

(increasing ticket rate, blink rate and sound of closing in / fading away (if miss) missiles / rockets)

but ED keeps impressing me in details

Wow those Physics in that video are awesome! Elite will have a SP Campaign?

I have played the alpha ,and is really impressive. The performance is very smooth, I have 70+fps at 1080 with all maxed. My rig is I7 2600K, 8 GB ram, and 7970 ghz

Have you seen Entropy? http://store.steampowered.com/app/255500/

I was announced a short while back, an MMO space shooter in early access stage. Based on the Steam forums, it's doing well.

Here's a gameplay video of it, the players is impressed:

11372891393_2920e83908_o.jpg

Edited by ziiip

Judging by the surge in popularity for space games, I think we're not far off from getting a "The Space Z" very, very soon.

there were several like that already Pirate Galaxy, Black Prophecy and similar 'short lifespan free mmo' with tons of 'microtransation' and p2w ...

there were several like that already Pirate Galaxy, Black Prophecy and similar 'short lifespan free mmo' with tons of 'microtransation' and p2w ...

I haven't heard about them, but this one looks pretty and isnt free.

Wow those Physics in that video are awesome! Elite will have a SP Campaign?

Not a Campaign per se but will alow you to play in the PU completely solo with only NPC's rather than PvP instancing. Apparently it's still the same PU so whatever happens between real players happens as NPC's in your little world :p

How they are going to actually pull this off is beyond me. Star Citizen does have a full campaign called Squadron 42 as well as the ability to run your own PU server or join the universal one.

Elite won't have a campaign but it will have missions, dynamically generated based on the situation in the system, events such as wars, famine, colonisation, visiting dignitaries etc.. will all generate missions

You can play single player offline, with no persistent evolving universe but no internet connection needed, or online in the same universe as mentioned in the post above.

either the space ship designs suck or the graphics suck or the gameplay sucks.

i'm still waiting for the perfect space sim.

and no, star citizens isn't it. you'd think with 35 mil they'd be able to design ships that don't look like they were designed by/for 10 year olds.

Seems that could only be the one you can dream under your own conditions becuase everything else you mention that doesnt meet your criteria is the next things to come, apart from making your own, Im guessing with your stringent rule book you wont ever play one. "Perfect" is open to interpretation and subjective per user, so unless its built for you personally im not sure where you can go to ever be satisfied :)

The perfect world, so near and yet so far away.

either the space ship designs suck or the graphics suck or the gameplay sucks.

and no, star citizens isn't it. you'd think with 35 mil they'd be able to design ships that don't look like they were designed by/for 10 year olds.

Ships design in Elite Dangerous is good. Still flexible enough for upgrades, open for future possibilities. I'm quite sure that Frontier Developments understands the importance of flexible design and openminded gameplay more than RSI, which seems to be focused on graphical fidelity more. I don't disregard the latter though, they achieved amazing thing already.

And yes, Space Engineers :) This is coming up nicely, but it lacks the scale needed. Comparing to obvious millions of star systems in Elite, eh.

tl/dr : perfect is mostly dangerous

Elite dangerous is looking close to my idea of a perfect space sim, well it is after the planned expansions where you can land seamlessly on planets, and leave your ship.

There will always be something you would like done differently, but elite is the closest, for me.

A really interesting update for Limit Theory here:

Thanks for the link.

Not so much a game, more like a toy

Nevertheless it should be mentioned, the author plans to make a hard sci-fi game out of it. But sure it'll take a couple of years, no less.