Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Space genre games

I thought I would kick off a generic space genre thread to encompass any interesting space genre games. I'm looking forward to playing some, I always liked Elite so I'm looking forward to Elite Dangerous, and of course Star Citizen looks interesting...

Games I have in the past really enjoyed:

Elite

Mercenary

Damocles

Frontier

Shuttle

X-Wing vs TIE-Fighter/X-Wing Alliance

More recently I actually bought into a small game called Space Engineers, think of it as kind of a Minecraft for spaceships, except that you can crash stuff into other stuff. Witness:

nlaY2ELJ2qk

It's quite enjoyable. Rather flakey in a lot of areas but we are still in the early build stages of development.

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

On the subject of Star Citizen, looking at their site I'm a little confused about their purchasing system. Has anyone here bought into it? It looks, to me, like you have to purchase (with real money) ships you want to play on? Is this a method for players with deep pockets to leap ahead in the game, or is there literally no progression without payment?

Edited by DMarkwick

I hope you just forgott to add Freelancer and Wingcommander to that list

[/color]On the subject of Star Citizen, looking at their site I'm a little confused about their purchasing system. Has anyone here bought into it? It looks, to me, like you have to purchase (with real money) ships you want to play on? Is this a method for players with deep pockets to leap ahead in the game, or is there literally no progression without payment?

I have bought into star citizen at the cheapest level, you get one small ship, I can already load up the hangar module and look around it and get in, you can't take off yet though so it's a bit pointless. You can buy more ships for real money but they will all be availiable to buy with in game money, I guess by buying a head start like that people are paying NOT to play. To me, building up from nothing is what these games are about.

Another space game I have just backed on kickstarter is the mandate, more of a strategy game, but seems to encompass everything, from fleet battles, to crew management, to boarding actions..

Elite dangerous is my number one most anticipated though.

Edited by motorizer

Did you check on Homeworld series? These are older games but I remember playing them quite a lot when they were first released.

It's slow gameplay just google it or go to youtube and I'm sure you will find some stuff concerning these games.

Star Citizen Dogfight module is promised for release before New Year. For anyone a little more curious about the whole whatwithall of the game, and perhaps having a little more time on their hands than they need (light prison sentence, 2 jugs of coffee, Mother-In-Law-Present) read The Big S.C.A.M. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46095085/The%20BIG%20Star%20Citizen%20Admirer%27s%20Manual.pdf

I played the hell out of Elite on the Commodore 64,

Hopefully there will be a demo for Elite Dangerous because Decent made me wanna throw up.

not sure how Elite will be with modern graphics.

until 6th December you can become backer of Elite: Dangerous with all past privileges, since 6th it will be different (There will be still store but most likely less ric)

http://elite.frontier.co.uk/register/

also on www.Gog.com you can get Independence Wars for 1.5 and IW2:Edge of Chaos for 1.5 too

^^ I guess I will buy into that backer deal. Least I can do after all those hours enjoyment I had in the 80s :)

What? You're not familiar to the X series by Egosoft? Fix this asap (but avoid their recent game called Rebirth). Freelancer is also advisable.

What? You're not familiar to the X series by Egosoft? Fix this asap (but avoid their recent game called Rebirth). Freelancer is also advisable.

I agree with that. Check the x series. Steep learning curve same as with ArmA. The game is a complex sandbox in space. Egosoft reminds me a lot of BI, they have 2 main things in common. Buggy game releases and long time support. You should definitely check it out.

cheers

ye but the trailer leaves me in worry, if all is procedural ... why it does looks like preplaced stuff (e.g. normal trees, normal fish, normal grass) ...

nothing new or impressive seen (compared to procedural engines of Elite: Dangerous, Infinity The Quest of Earth (I-novae), Space Engine, Outerra, Limit Theory and similar ...

the spaceship and art has Homeworld wibe tho so i keep eye on it

Wow that No Man's Sky has a great look, very Chris Foss/Syd Mead. If it keeps the look going, is genuinely procedural, I'll very likely pick this up. Sometimes just exploring is gameplay enough for me :)

I like the look of Space Engineers and Elite: Dangerous :) oh and No Man's Sky looks great too :)

I like the look of Space Engineers and Elite: Dangerous :) oh and No Man's Sky looks great too :)

Similar tastes. I got Space Engineers, have bought into Elite: Dangerous and will most probably buy into No Man's Sky if it comes to PC.

I always love to play and discuss about space games. At the moment I am waiting for Star Quest for its 2nd version.

Limit Theory has fantastic onthefly generated UI solution ... i really like it

!!!!! I must say I'm really waiting for an interesting space game, because I cannot see I will return to X in the near future. Except if there's nothing on the horizon, maybe I'll play X3 again.

Thought no one mentioned Limit Theory till I saw Dwarden did in passing -worth a look http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/limit-theory/

Goodness I assumed it would have been brought up earlier in the tread! Limit Theory is very impressive and the creator's (Josh Parnell) ability to code is incredible. His video posts often show off major design features or improvements that he only began working on that week...sometimes even that very morning!