Bahger

How to integrate custom sound files in missions?

I'd like to make .ogg sound clips in Audacity and drop them into missions, not as radio items but as triggered actions, so a sound file will play when a trigger fires to announce the success of an objective, etc.

The Audacity stuff will be easy for me, including fuzzing up the output to make it sound like radio comms and converting the output file to .ogg. I have used triggered sound files many times before in DCS A-10 scenarios but never yet in ArmA. What I'd appreciate is a little help with how to get these files into my mission in the ArmA 3 Editor and how to have them play by trigger. I'm not sure where to place the files (I think I have to make a folder somewhere in My Docs/ArmA 3) or how to get them properly situated in missions.

I'm using the Steam version of the game and am working only on SP missions at the moment so there will be no complications re. dedicated servers etc.

I have searched the net for guides but have only found MP guides or those for custom radio item sound drops. Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi.

Place the files in your mission folder.

Then in the description.ext of the mission you need to define the class cfgSounds. Once you do that, you will be able to play the sounds by using "say3D" or whatever.

You can find more info on the wiki.

• Like 1

Took me a while to find that info when I first wanted to know. As above mentioned above you will need to define your sounds in the description.ext it should look something like this.

class CfgMusic
{
sounds[] = {01,02};
class 01
{
	name = "01";
	sound[] = {"music\sound1.ogg", db+10, 1.0};
	titles[] = {0,""};
};
class 02
{
	name = "02";
	sound[] = {"music\sound2.ogg", db+10, 1.0};
	titles[] = {0,""};
};

};

That is what I use, as an example. That descrition.ext file should go in your mission folder "C:\Users\YOURPCNAME\Documents\Arma 3\missions\YOURMISSIONNAME.Stratis" Download description.ext

Then place your music files in your mission folder in a subfolder named music, so sound1.ogg would be placed "C:\Users\YOURPCNAME\Documents\Arma 3\missions\YOURMISSIONNAME.Stratis\music\sound1.ogg"

Then to trigger the sound create a trigger in the editor, choose effects and music. scroll down to the bottom of the music list and you will see 01 and 02 the names of my music files as defined above, choose which one you want. Then just set your trigger to what ever you want to trigger your sound and preview your mission. You should hear your music files when you activate the trigger. you can adjust the volume of your music by editing the bit in description.ext "db+10".

Set your trigger condition to true to just activate your music straight from mission start.

Hope that helps :rthumb:

• Like 1

Extremely helpful, guys, many thanks. The info here should get me sorted.