Rydygier

Fire For Effect: The God of War - smart & simple AI artillery

Yes, a group name. Like:

RydFFE_NoControl = [GroupName_1, GroupName_2,SomeOtherGroupName];

Hello everyone,

are you thinking of adding flares that indicate the position of the artillery impacts?

I have modified the script FFE_fnc.sqf in the following way:

Adding the creation of a flare:

_bengala = "G_40mm_SmokeRed" createvehicle [(_pos select 0), (_pos select 1), 100];

the script is as follows:

if (((toLower (typeOf _vh)) in ["uss_iowa_turret_c", "uss_iowa_turret_b", "uss_iowa_turret_a"]) or {RydFFE_IowaMode}) then
{
{
_gun = vehicle _x;
if not ((toLower (typeOf_gun)) isEqualTo "uss_iowa_battleship") then
{
                                                                                                        _bengala = "G_40mm_SmokeRed" createvehicle [(_pos select 0), (_pos select 1), 100];
_gun doArtilleryFire [_pos, _ammo, (_ vh getVariable ["RydFFE_ShotsToFire", 1])];
}
}
foreach (units (group _vh))
}
else
{
_vh doArtilleryFire [_pos, _ammo, (_ vh getVariable ["RydFFE_ShotsToFire", 1])];
};

un saludo y gracias por el script

• Like 1

Hello Rydygier,

Using the Pook ARTY Pack: v1 artillery mod with the "Fire For Effect: The God Of War" mod, I found that the angle of the artillery tube does not rise enough and therefore falls short.

Any idea what can happen?

Solved, it was a problem of the addons that is already solved

un saludo y gracias por el addon

Atomicboy

Hello Rydygier,

I would like to include this in the next update of Vcom AI, replacing my current Artillery system. Please let me know if you have concerns about this so that we can address them.

This is awesome work and from the little I saw, this is a great addition! Thank you for your hard work!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello.

Absolutely OK, I have no concerns at all. Not a problem, feel free to include FFE into Vcom AI. It's great, each time my work is useful. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

How to configure it for m109 from rhs?
If i add [["rhsusf_m109_usarmy"],["rhs_mag_155mm_m795_28"]] in RydFFE_Other array i wil get

13:28:18 Error in expression <then
{
_ammoC = configfile >> "CfgAmmo" >> _subAmmo
};

_actHit = getNumber (_am>
13:28:18 Error position: <>> _subAmmo
};

_actHit = getNumber (_am>
13:28:18 Error >>: Type Config entry, expected String
13:28:18 File Vcom\Functions\FFE_Functions\fn_AutoConfig.sqf [RYD_fnc_AutoConfig], line 120

For other arty units from rhs all works fine

Seems, you found a script error. I don't have RHS nor Vcom edition FFE, but that seems clear, from what I see in the FFE code. That part of the code apparently is used rarely, since no one reported this before, but this particular arty piece config triggered the part of the script, that contains the logic error. Fix in the FFE code should be rather trivial (I'll apply it ASAP), but don't know, how fast new version could be put into Vcom. Till then - avoid using this class of the artillery. 

BTW This will not help in this case, but after may fix it will matter, magazines part of this: [["rhsusf_m109_usarmy"],["rhs_mag_155mm_m795_28"]]  should contain always 5 positions, even if empty string - "" . Best repeat same magazine class for first three positions (primary, special, secondary):

[["rhsusf_m109_usarmy"],["rhs_mag_155mm_m795_28","rhs_mag_155mm_m795_28","rhs_mag_155mm_m795_28","",""]];

Released FFE 1.15. Changelog:

- Fixed rare script error when using particular user-made artillery pieces.

(Workshop entry under way, as usual - there are errors/updating fails, how not to love Steam Workshop?)

steam-update-error.jpg

Each try. 

Nope. Just no go. Workshop entry will be not updated at least for now. 

Ok, thanks a lot, i'm just integrate your fix in VCOM by myself)

1 hour ago, Rydygier said:

should contain always 5 positions, even if empty string - "" . Best repeat same magazine class for first three positions (primary, special, secondary):

What is the logic of this? When arty shoot with special and secondary ammo, in which cases? And why need other two values 4 and 5?

By the way, i think i'm found another bug. Looks like opfor default SPG (O_MBT_02_arty_F) doesn't work "out of the box" now)
I manualy add it in RydFFE_Other array, and all works fine.

Not tested for bluefor SPG, vanilla mortars of both sides work fine with default config

That's the structure of this array:

[[[list of arty pieces classnames (lowercase)], [list of magazines for these classes in order: primary (HE), rare (WP, Cluster…), secondary (used instead of HE – guided, laser…), smoke, illum]], …];

Last two aren't used by FFE (so theoretically in the FFE context these two may be not there in fact, unless someone using FFE functions will try to manually execute smoke or illum arty mission).

First - default HE ammo, used most of the times.

Second - in case, given arty piece uses some special kinds of ammunition that could be used instead of HE, there's 15% chance of using it (33% of the default amount of shots per salvo).

Third - In FFE secondary is tried instead of primary, if for the primary code says, target is out of range (ranges may differ per used ammo IIRC). Could have more uses in other, non-FFE context, like Hetman, which also uses smoke and illum. 

By the way, i think i'm found another bug. Looks like opfor default SPG (O_MBT_02_arty_F) doesn't work "out of the box" now)

Thanks for reporting. As I see, they changed magazine class names... "Nice" joke... That arty was using same magazines, as blufor counterpart, which is an assumption in the code design, but no longer. I wonder, when it happend. I have to think, if and what I should do about. And this affects not only FFE, but also HAL, HWS... Just great. From the other hand, that may be a pretext for general code review and some wider FFE/HAL/HWS update soon. Not planned, but... 

• Like 2

Released FFE 1.16. Changelog:

- Fixed: CSAT Sochor was not firing.

(again, Workshop entry update impossible due to constant failures and stays on 1.14)

• Like 1

@Rydygier I do not have your non-vcom attached version running and I can confirm that today the CSAT Sochor will in fact fire when used in conjunction with VCOM Dev version. It laid down some fairly accurate; set it via settings menu to less than perfect; fire via AI calling for rounds on target. 

If you need or want some feedback I will be glad to help out. 

Well, thanks, if it works, then cool, no actions needed. :) In the FFE standalone I've tested, that Sochor indeed wasn't firing before and it is firing after 1.16. Change in the magazine classes was required, as now, not sure at which point this was changed, Sochor doesn't use anymore same magazine classes, as blufor SP arty, which was the case in the past and that FFE was assuming. 

Hello i just trying the 1.16 script version (did not the older version), the arty work but just one time.

I try it with the debug, the debug show the marker with the ETA but the arty not fire, for exemple a mortar will shoot 2 times and never shoot again, same with the MLRS or other arty piece, they just stop firing, but the debug working.

Did you try demo with same result? I tried, also replacing Scorcher with the mortar and MRLS and saw multiple volleys shot and exploded around the target for each - no problem. 

From the past though I remember rare cases of such "empty shots", like every conditions met, debug and ETA visible, just arty piece doesn't respond on doArtilleryFire command - that would be a game bug. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rydygier said:

like every conditions met, debug and ETA visible, just arty piece doesn't respond on doArtilleryFire command - that would be a game bug. 

Yeah thats happen often on my side.

i will look into the demo mission.

FFE updated to 1.17:

- fixed: Monogamy mode was enforced no matter, how the setting was set.

How this slipped unnoticed so many years - no idea. 🙂 Note: still unable to update Workshop entry due to "error code 2" - "generic failure". Nihil novi. Updated is Dropbox package though. 

• Like 2

Hey is there a way to use RydFFE_NoControl; to black list friendly side Artillery but also use another artillery mod just for my side like 'Simplex Support systems' for example. I've been trying to black list my artillery but they don't fire when using another mod and the enemy AI doesn't fire at me either, I'm really just trying to use FFE just for the enemy side AI . Maybe I could use RydFFE_Manual; but I haven't had any success on getting these to work. Any ideas ? 

Hello and welcome on BI Forums. 🙂 AFAIK/IIRC NoControl should be the way. Arty groups put there are simply not touched by FFE scripts. That means, those arty groups are operating in pure vanilla manner. If other mod fails to use them - likely the reason is not connected with FFE. Are you certain, the other mod works OK with same arty groups, if you don't use FFE? If not - try. Also be sure, you apply NoControl properly. Should include group names/groups and should be defined at scenario init. Yet another possibility may be some issue with artillery itself, especially if it is some custom arty from mods, in that case, test same scenario with mod arty replaced by vanilla arty. That much I can tell. 

Still to this day the best arty mod around. I just realised the script version existed and how i can tweak it. so i did with the intention of creating FO's. Doing your demo mission works fine, but in my mission i changed the FO calssname and it doesnt seem to work

my init is like so

RydFFE_Debug = true;
RydFFE_ShellView = true;
RydFFE_FO = ["b_recon_m_f","B_recon_F","B_recon_TL_F","B_recon_medic_F"];
[] execVM "RYD_FFE\FFE.sqf";

as you can see,iv got a four man array,all these guys are in a group,yet none of them are able to call arty. If i place  recon JTAC on the map he has no problem. i even added these classnames to the FFE

[
	"B_recon_TL_F",
	"B_recon_medic_F",
	"b_spotter_f",
	"o_recon_jtac_f",
	"b_recon_jtac_f",
	"i_sniper_f",
	"o_sniper_f",
	"b_sniper_f",
	"i_soldier_m_f",
	"o_soldier_m_f",
	"b_g_soldier_m_f",
	"b_soldier_m_f",
	"B_recon_F",
	"b_recon_m_f",
	"o_soldieru_m_f",
	"i_uav_01_f",
	"i_uav_02_cas_f",
	"i_uav_02_f",
	"o_uav_01_f",
	"o_uav_02_cas_f",
	"o_uav_02_f",
	"b_uav_01_f",
	"b_uav_02_cas_f",
	"b_uav_02_f"
	]};

Yet still nothing. im ok with it being JTACs only as i can simply change the leader of group from TL to JTAC,just wanted to ask what im doing wrong and why my classnames wont work.

Cheers again,arty is awesome.

BTW: Not sure if western sahara mortar carrier marshal is by default meant to work,but it demonstrated odd behaviour,moving to drive to an enemy location that friendlies spotted. Bug?

Oh, that's an old code indeed. Simple thing, it seems. RydFFE_FO should include group names, not unit classes, quoting manual:

RydFFE_FO ([])- if this array is set as not empty (even with objNull), limited spotting mode becomes active, so only members of groups, which names are inside this array or which leaders are of proper class (see below), will have ability of spotting targets for batteries. By default, in unlimited spotting mode, each unit of same side, as battery, or allied excluding civilians, will transmit known enemy coordinates to the battery;

As for the classes:

RydFFE_FOClass
(["i_spotter_f","o_spotter_f", "b_spotter_f", "o_recon_jtac_f", "b_recon_jtac_f", "i_sniper_f", "o_sniper_f", "b_sniper_f", "i_soldier_m_f", "o_soldier_m_f", "b_g_soldier_m_f", "b_soldier_m_f", "o_recon_m_f", "b_recon_m_f", "o_soldieru_m_f", "i_uav_01_f", "i_uav_02_cas_f", "i_uav_02_f", "o_uav_01_f", "o_uav_02_cas_f", "o_uav_02_f", "b_uav_01_f", "b_uav_02_cas_f", "b_uav_02_f"])
- this array holds class names (lowercase only!) of leaders of groups, that will be automatically added to the RydFFE_FO array, if that array already is not empty (means if limited spotting is active);

So it works in a bit odd way, as you see...

2 hours ago, redarmy said:

BTW: Not sure if western sahara mortar carrier marshal is by default meant to work,but it demonstrated odd behaviour,moving to drive to an enemy location that friendlies spotted. Bug?

No idea, cDLC assets can have some extra functionalities scripted in... FFE for sure doesn't make any arty to move anywhere, but if target is revealed by some FO, this may trigger some attack/engage behavior perhaps?

10 hours ago, Rydygier said:

Oh, that's an old code indeed. Simple thing, it seems. RydFFE_FO should include group names, not unit classes, quoting manual:

As for the classes:

So it works in a bit odd way, as you see...

ohhhh i seeeeee. so the array needed the group name. i think i got thrown off by the unit classnames and didnt even think to try the group. 

Cheers!