Rydygier

Fire For Effect: The God of War - smart & simple AI artillery

FFELogo3.jpg

FFE 1.14 (Armaholic)

FFE 1.17 (Dropbox)

PDF manual

INTRODUCTION

FFE is a counterpart of A2's "Fire At Will" addon prepared for Arma 3 with only minor changes, mostly unavoidable due to completely new artillery handling. Its variation deals with artillery under Hetman script.

Unlike Arma 2, in Arma 3 scripts aren't necessary to actually see AI artillery firing, still some scripting can improve arty AI and can be useful for people, who need such enhancement. That is the goal of FFE.

"Fire For Effect" provides fully autonomous AI artillery, that reacts on current situation by smart shelling enemy targets spotted by allied forces. "Smart" means reasonable target choosing, avoiding friendly fire or civilian casaulties and ability of predicting, where moving target will be at impact by analyzing its movement vector. FFE provides also simulation of targeting errors due to factors like human mistakes, weather and more.

Addon supports all generic Arma 3 artillery units. Custom artillery pieces, if compatibile with vanilla artillery computer, may be added via init variables.

-----

USAGE

To use the FFE addon version in your missions launch the game with FFE addon, place on map some artillery pieces, any units of same side acting as FOs, some OPFOR as targets and FFE module. That’s all.

To use FFE script version, instead of module, put content of "Script version" folder into mission folder and place following code line eg in the init field of any unit or activation field of trigger etc. or, best way, in the init.sqf:

nul = [] execVM "RYD_FFE\FFE.sqf";

See included manual for more details, including optional customization via init config variables.

-----

KNOWN ISSUES

ETA issue

I'll be grateful for any bug reports, best in form of well discussed repro mission.

-----

Addon was created "by player for players", source scripts you can freely modify, copy, "cannibalize", to use in your projects. It is released under APL-SA license. I'll be grateful for notification about each such usage.

Enjoy fireworks.

Rydygier

• Like 3

Thanks for sending us the release :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

I'm an old FO myself, love all things involving raining steel! Appreciate the script version, will check it out soon. :D

FO job fans may be a bit disappointed, so there is no any CFF communications between FO and battery if player is FO, all is done silently. Hmm. That my be nice idea to add somehow CFF protocol messages for player FO, even if only as fake ornament (actual fire adjustment dictated by player FO is currently outside the goal of this addon, it is AI-centric, but in the future... who knows). I must think about. And I must to remeber, how it goes in real.

Edited by Rydygier

Hmmmm ;)

Rydigier, as you know Gunny has been hard at work developing the Combat Support module for ALiVE, which is an interface for the player to control AI driven Close Air Support, Transport helis and artillery. The arty part has yet to be implemented, but your script may well help if you are happy for us to poke around with it. We've included military Voice Procedure into our module so we should be able to shoehorn this in as well to simulate FO to gun line arty target indication.

But of course, I'm happy, when my script prove to be useful. Use it at will. That's purpose of all this after all - to be used. :)

We've included military Voice Procedure into our module so we should be able to shoehorn this in as well to simulate FO to gun line arty target indication.

Oh, thats interesting. Currently thought about some semi-dynamic fake comm for FFE. I mean, this script allows to split salvo max for two parts: adjust fire and fire for effect (simplified, yes). So may be nice to add some dynamic comm between, where FO gives to the battery really proper corrections relative to real impact position of last adjusting rounds. It is fake of course without any influence, AI anyway will do same thing, but could be nice.

Thank you for this addon i loved it in ArmA 2, this addon and HAC coughHALcough i am never bored on ArmA 3 thank you so much

FO job fans may be a bit disappointed, so there is no any CFF communications between FO and battery if player is FO, all is done silently. Hmm. That my be nice idea to add somehow CFF protocol messages for player FO, even if only as fake ornament (actual fire adjustment dictated by player FO is currently outside the goal of this addon, it is AI-centric, but in the future... who knows). I must think about. And I must to remeber, how it goes in real.

Oh it's all good. I'm aware of the functionality. Just having the ambience is a huge thing in some missions. That and I'm easily amused by watching the AI get pounded. Radio calls can be cool, but I'd perhaps avoid the chat channel spam if possible. Without meaning to sound obtuse, I think some people got tired of that over the years using Bons stuff. Not a huge thing either way, just a thought. Had fun with this for a little while last night, good stuff.

Without meaning to sound obtuse, I think some people got tired of that over the years using Bons stuff.

I see. Well, wise people say "in doubt make it optional". :)

Just got this up and running with alive. Fantastic. Couldn't get the addon version running, but the script version was great. Really helped create a really compelling urban battle. The entire town was laid to waste as the surviving forces fought bitterly (with bcombat -great mod) amongst the falling shells. Thank you. Looking forward to future battles with this installed.

1.01 released. Changelog:

- improved code reliability;

- few minor tweaks.

Thanks for sending us the updated release :cool:

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

New mod or update v1.01 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@ryd_fee.png

@ Rydygier;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

As a great follower of your work, its great to see another update. Thanks.

Thanks for the addon Rydygier, but can i run work FFE ported Arma2 mortars and cannons in to Arma 3? exa: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24909 is there any way to run the podnos and d-30 with FFE?

Edited by LDU30

Depends, how it was ported. If is using A3's shells and working fine with A3 arty commands like inRangeOfArtillery, getArtilleryETA, doArtilleryFire etc.

A3 arty system work on another basis than A2's, no more Arty module... Anyway, if is fully compatibile with A3 arty mechanics, new class may be added to the one of:

RydFFE_Add_SPMortar ([]) – here you can list classnames of custom SP mortar units, that should be controlled by “FFEâ€;

RydFFE_Add_Mortar ([]) – here you can list classnames of custom mortar units, that should be controlled by “FFEâ€;

RydFFE_Add_Rocket ([]) – here you can list classnames of custom rocket artillery units, that should be controlled by “FFEâ€;

(which, depends, which set of ammunition it uses - mortar's SP mortar's or MRLS').

Perhaps you could also try A2 artillery with A2's FAW via All in Arma. Not tested, not sure, if possible.

Edited by Rydygier

So, these models aren't configured to work with A3 artillery system?

In such case doubtful, I'm affraid. Artillery works that way, not another in A3, it is not only about ammo or weapon classes, it is about script commands introduced in A3 (engine level), about configuration (config level)... and FFE is from the ground up built to utilize, what A3 provides, so it is up to addon maker, that brings arty under A3, so it works fine with A3's system, as there is no alternative system, I'm awared of.

If these models aren't compatibile with A3 artillery, the only way, I see, is whole new project, that will simulate from A to Z all ballistics, math and physics or some kind of simplified fake arty fire with spawning shells, fake firing anims itp. Clunky and not easy anyway, nothing, that can be incorporated into FFE, rather separate addon built from the scratch.

Perhaps try AiA with A2's arty and FAW instead.

Ok thanks anyway, I will try the AiA and FAW!

I'll check config of these models just to be sure, so nothing can be done. Perhaps author configured properly kinds of ammunition, he uses.

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 15:20 ----------

After tests I have good news:

- mortars are using normal M6 ammo from A3 and are working under FFE without any changes, is needed only init config:

RydFFE_Add_Mortar = ["RDS_2b14_82mm_FIA","RDS_2b14_82mm_AAF","RDS_M252_AAF","RDS_2b14_82mm_CSAT"];

(if there are more mortars, I miss, add their classes here too).

Howitzers uses custom magazines for some reason, thus aren't directly compatibile with FFE, but are reacting properly on A3's arty commands, so this should be matter of simple changes in the code. At least for HE. WP shells may be more complicated to add in A3, more code changes needed.

OK. Seems doable. Mortars you can use currently as described, in the next version there will be possible to add via init config also custom arty using custom magazines. Soon, I hope.

Edited by Rydygier

FFE 1.1 released. Changelog:

- added possibility to add via init config custom artillery pieces that use custom magazines;

- arty targetting now based on supposed (by FO) target position than on actual position;

- fire mission will be interrupted, if during targeting FO spotting the target will be killed or removed.

@LDU30

Here is init config (goes, as usual, to init.sqf) for 1.1, so you should be able to use mortars and howitzers from mentioned addon:

RydFFE_Add_Mortar = ["RDS_2b14_82mm_FIA","RDS_2b14_82mm_AAF","RDS_M252_AAF","RDS_2b14_82mm_CSAT"];
RydFFE_Add_Other = 
[
[["RDS_D30_FIA","RDS_D30_AAF","RDS_D30_CSAT"],["RDS_30Rnd_122mmHE_D30","RDS_30Rnd_122mmWP_D30","RDS_30Rnd_122mmLASER_D30","RDS_30Rnd_122mmSMOKE_D30","RDS_30Rnd_122mmILLUM_D30"]],
[["RDS_M119_AAF"],["RDS_30Rnd_105mmHE_M119","RDS_30Rnd_105mmWP_M119","RDS_30Rnd_105mmLASER_M119","RDS_30Rnd_105mmSMOKE_M119","RDS_30Rnd_105mmILLUM_M119"]]
];

This shows also exemplary adding custom arty, where custom mortars are using A3's mortars magazines and howitzers are using custom magazines.

Thanks you very much for sending us the updated release :cool:

Rydygier Thank you so much the init config works perfectly with old guns , you're the best!!.:cool:

Edited by LDU30