Sign in to follow this  
eXpouk

FPS Drops and Texture Problems

So, just to be clear, the game suddenly freezes to 1-3 fps after a certain amount of play time?

..., And temps are good?

Does it happen in other games, like arma2?

Ya know, it could be a bad ram stick.

Have you tried stress tested your rig?

Try Memtest:

http://www.memtest.org/

Or the old school way to find a bad stick is to pull then replace one stick at a time.

Good luck!

Yes that is exactly what happens, around 45mins and textures don't render properly. Only happens in A3. Both CPU and GPU temps are fine. It used to happen in A2 when JayArmA2Lib had a memory leak, when it was fixed it never happened again.

I've not stress tested my RAM because I have no reason to believe its at fault. I can play any other game perfectly fine such as BF3, PS2, CSGO, Skyrim etc.

Ram failure is tricky sometimes to track down. So memtest can't hurt.

An other idea is to down-clock the gpu core and/or memory using msi afterburner, or some other prog.

Some card brands 'factory overclock'. So you can compare base clocks to your brand's setting.

What brand is your card?

[edit] oh, i see, msi.

Edited by Ratszo
msi card

Ram failure is tricky sometimes to track down. So memtest can't hurt.

An other idea is to down-clock the gpu core and/or memory using msi afterburner, or some other prog.

Some card brands 'factory overclock'. So you can compare base clocks to your brand's setting.

What brand is your card?

[edit] oh, i see, msi.

MSI Frozr II

Ok, took a look at clocks:

Base is 822mhz core / 1644 memory.

MSI is 880mhz core / 1760 memory.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/40552-nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-ti-roundup-asus-evga-gigabyte-msi-4.html

Hey I had this very same issue; it was a mix of problems. The most serious one was that the DirectX API was reporting my VRAM as 512 when it is really 1024. With a 32-bit OS windows was addressing 512 of VRAM and allowing the rest to be used. Once it crept up and tried to use that last 512 of system ram, it went super choppy and never recovered, flushing does not work. Was unable to control Arma's total memory usage with switches. Upgrading to a 64-bit OS will fix the issue, both allowing all the memory to be addressed, and my current directx reports my VRAM correctly. This I believe is a problem for lots of people. You can upgrade to 64-bit using your current product key.

Edit: run dxdiag.exe and see if your VRAM is correctly reported.

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:19 ----------

Here is the DirectX issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2026022/en-us?p=1

And here is why the issue occurs under our particular configurations (I think) http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/85-breaking-the-32-bit-barrier

^ why I say specs are so important to post.

Might've just fixed your issue ;)

And, yeah, you really should be using a 64-bit OS by now...

Just ran DxDiag.

Its reporting my memory as 4096mb which is correct. However on the display tab it reporting total memory as 2509mb, I've only got a 1GB card so where is the rest coming from?

And yeah I know, I'm just waiting on a new HDD then Im gonna upgrade to 64bit.

I'll find out soon as I'm installing 64bit tomorrow :)

This game is so poorly optimized, are they ever going to release a performance optimization patch? I'm running a $1200 rig and the game barely pulls 30-40fps in every MP server I go on. What are you guys doing over in the studios?! We need to start a petition, every person I speak with agrees this game still feels like its in the alpha stages!

The game is running fine @ 45/60 FPS on Single player and @ 35/45 FPS on MP on Stratis.

On Altis in MP, on our team dedicated server, the FPS rate was a bit lower -around 30 FPS- , in a mission involving heavy tank battle.

We had to tweak the mission with lower view distance and terrain grid to 25 to make it playable for all.

Of course, I am playing "i7 3770/GTX 670 OC/8 Go DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 System SSD/A3 dedicated Crucial 128Go SSD", meaning a 1500$ rig and enjoy it the most.

My main concern is about those having not so much money and trying to play with a 600/700 $/€ rig built along minimum specs such as my now updated "Athlon II X2 250(3.0GHz)/AMD HD 7770/8 Go DDR3 1866/A3 dedicated Intel 80Go SSD".

MP is still unreachable on public servers and I am getting "FPS Drops and Texture Problems" playing SP with a lot of AI on Altis.

Edited by OldBear

I think I've managed to fix it by upgrading to 64bit. Played last night for around 70mins and had no problems (touch wood). I was also advised in the support tickets to disable ATOC so maybe that will help some people.

I think I've managed to fix it by upgrading to 64bit.

Glad you're up and running! Time to buy more RAM and an 8GB graphics card! :D

Yep, issue resolved by upgrading to 64bit. Managed to play for 2 hours straight with no problems.

Just ran DxDiag.

Its reporting my memory as 4096mb which is correct. However on the display tab it reporting total memory as 2509mb, I've only got a 1GB card so where is the rest coming from?

And yeah I know, I'm just waiting on a new HDD then Im gonna upgrade to 64bit.

Worth doing the math on this for 32-bit.

4gig installed, but only 3gig used by 32-bit, minus os and backround progs, equals 2509mb available ram.

Think that's right.

Shows why 64-bit is where a gamer wants to be.

Edited by Ratszo

Thinking 'bout it. When i ran 32-bit, cut backround services down to 22-24? At start-up, just 90-110mb ram draw on the system...

So, 4gig installed, 3gig detected, minus 100mb = 2900mb something ram. --XPhome, sp2.

Hi there, I bought Arma a month ago, and from the start i have had this problem. So far I was just restarting when the FPS started to drop and reloaded the mission. Thats not longer working, the savefiles exist, but when I want to load and play the mission, there is no "continue"-button anymore. Does anybody know why? I did not alter the game in any way, besides downloading missions from the workshop to it.

But anyway, as reloading is at present no option and always playing only the first 15 minutes of a mission really boring, I would like to know if there is another solution to the FPS-problem than buying and installing the 64-bit version of Win7?

Thank you,

mm

Hi there, I bought Arma a month ago, and from the start i have had this problem. So far I was just restarting when the FPS started to drop and reloaded the mission. Thats not longer working, the savefiles exist, but when I want to load and play the mission, there is no "continue"-button anymore. Does anybody know why? I did not alter the game in any way, besides downloading missions from the workshop to it.

But anyway, as reloading is at present no option and always playing only the first 15 minutes of a mission really boring, I would like to know if there is another solution to the FPS-problem than buying and installing the 64-bit version of Win7?

Thank you,

mm

Not sure, but we did get a get a big patch v1.08. Maybe that broke the savegames?

Thanks for your reply Ratszo. And no, i dont think its related to the patch. I just reinstalled the whole game, and its still the same: I play a mission, i can save, i can reload, everything is fine. But once I quit the game and rerstart, there is no savegame available and the button to continue the mission is missing. But when i look into my filesystem, I see all the savegame-files. But the game does not seem to see them.

Please, what can I do here?

Thanks for your reply Ratszo. And no, i dont think its related to the patch. I just reinstalled the whole game, and its still the same: I play a mission, i can save, i can reload, everything is fine. But once I quit the game and rerstart, there is no savegame available and the button to continue the mission is missing. But when i look into my filesystem, I see all the savegame-files. But the game does not seem to see them.

Please, what can I do here?

Was wondering, if you were to move/rename/delete a savegame from the folder, would a new game save correctly?