Sign in to follow this  
Tisor

Attach Vehicle to moving part of flatbed

Hi all.

I'm having trouble when trying to figure out if I can do this.

I have this new model for a Flatbed. The flatbed is animated. First it goes up (rotation) and then extend. Same in the other way when retracting.

d08958c3c41616f9dc029ec593cbe7ba.png

The vehicle goes good on top the flatbed. The problem is when I start the animation back. The vehicle does not move with the animation and it crash all the thing.

Is any way I can attach the car to a selection or something? So it will move with it.

Regards.

After some research, I have come to figure out that the Geometry lod is not annimating at all, and maybe that's why the vehicle is not lifted with the rotation...

Already read about this, but I doubt that memory lod will me animated or not.

I have think about make it using setVelocity for the car while playing the animation, but not sure about that...

Any one can give light on this?

Is this for the FFAA mod? :)

I also did not find a solution but I did find a video of an Arma 3 mod that does exactly what you want:

You could try to contact the creator to get his help. I hope this helps! :)

Edited by ProGamer

VIDEO: looks like the car engine is running and the driver even shuffles/drives forward a bit during the tilt ..... not the answer I suspect

Gnat;2562477']VIDEO: looks like the car engine is running and the driver even shuffles/drives forward a bit during the tilt ..... not the answer I suspect

Did some research and apparently the video is an old version. From what he said in a comment, was they have chains pull the vehicle up. Which makes me think it's not actually attached to the flat bed yet until the player selects it.

Hi.

This is for the Arma 3 Life Mod, not for FFAA. FFAA will have some other systems for this kind of things.

This one is looking pretty well If he has been able to make that chain system... BTW, I have find that if I give a memory point a selection name with animation, it also animate. Then I will need to make an attach positions array so all cars fit correctly.

Now I'm working on that chain/winch system, using setVelocity, so the car is loaded in the truck with it, and not you as driver (Imagine you don't have the keys on a repo or the car is broken). I'm having so much trouble on this part.

Now I'm working on that chain/winch system, using setVelocity, so the car is loaded in the truck with it, and not you as driver (Imagine you don't have the keys on a repo or the car is broken). I'm having so much trouble on this part.

Have you tried using BIS_fnc_UnitPlay? I think it may be easier than using setvelocity, if it works :)

// [car, truck] execvm "tow.sqf"

private ["_car", "_tow"];
private ["_carPos", "_towPos", "_time", "_startpos", "_endpos", "_animData"];

_car = _this select 0; // the car to be towed (vehicle)
_tow = _this select 1; // the tow truck (vehicle)

// need to disable simulation so it doesn't explode.
_car enableSimulation false;

_carPos = getPosASL _car;
_towPos = getPosASL _tow;

// calculate playback animation time based on distance
_time = ((_car distance _tow) / 10);
//_time = 5;

// adjust start and end position for playback if required
_startpos = [_carPos select 0, _carPos select 1, (_carPos select 2) + 0];
_endpos   = [_towPos select 0, _towPos select 1, (_towPos select 2) + 2];

// create the unit play animation data
_animData = [
 [0, _startpos, getDir _car],
 // add more positions here ...
 [_time, _endpos, getDir _tow]
];

// play the tow animation and wait for it to complete
[_car, _animData, [_tow, "tow_anim_done"], true, true, 0, 0] spawn BIS_fnc_UnitPlaySimple;

waitUntil { _tow getVariable "tow_anim_done" };

// attach car to tow truck 
_car attachTo [_tow, [0,0,2]]

Edited by mrflay

Looking nice! I'll give it a try later tonight and will left here the feedback.

Thanks a lot for the info!

back to the addaction with the memorypoint, the memory lod will animate if you tell it to. its how you animate turrets with off-center guns. so if the ramp is named "ramp" then place a memory point in the memory lod and name it "attachpoint" or whatever. then highlight it again and name it "ramp" to match the animated part. should work fine :) but not sure if the attachto will move with it.

back to the addaction with the memorypoint, the memory lod will animate if you tell it to. its how you animate turrets with off-center guns. so if the ramp is named "ramp" then place a memory point in the memory lod and name it "attachpoint" or whatever. then highlight it again and name it "ramp" to match the animated part. should work fine :) but not sure if the attachto will move with it.

Memory LOD animations are working well, also the attachto is dinamic to that point, so this is ready. I still need to try the chain system.

hmmmmmm a winch would be easy because you would just use the same attachto script to lift the object straight up into the air, but to drag it would take something more complex.... the only Idea ive got would be to create the chain and then put a large piece of roadway LOD on the end of it. so when you lower the chain the roadway would be sitting on the ground and you would drive the car onto it (maybe add a clicking sound so the driver knows its in position), and then animate the chain to pull the roadway up onto the flatbed, and with the new PhysX the car should slide along on top of that piece.

I still need to try the function pointed out here before, but looks like a good idea.

The attachto think won't look natural as you will see the car floating instead of going on the ramp with the wheels moving.

Hi.

The BIS_fnc_UnitPlay that mrflay pointed out is not working at all, because it moves the car as with a setPos but smooth.

I need the car to go up like if it was driven by anyone.

Dunno what's that... :S

Not sure if Arma 3 has it but you could try it.

simulation = "thingx";

Note that you can add additional entries in order to allow interaction with the object:

connectionParent = "name_of_desired_memory_point";
connectionChild = "name_of_desired_memory_point";

This will allow you to chain together physX objects to create, for instance, a rope.

PhysX objects will be more stable with larger geometry and higher mass.

Are you sure ArmA 3 has this feature?

And BTW, don't know how can I use it.

Are you sure ArmA 3 has this feature?

And BTW, don't know how can I use it.

VBS uses it for ropes. Because as you know they only started work on their Physx rope not long ago.

I do not know if Arma has it, but it could be useful to you if it does. I was hopping you could check if it's there or not.

Edited by ProGamer