Sign in to follow this  
zachgibson22

Is there a need for modeling videos?

I'm curious if there is a huge need for 3d modeling videos here. I'm asking because as I'm thinking about modeling my next gun soon, I could easily just record my personal process of modeling and UV unwrapping. Now I am by no means a professional but I can make decent quality models. Generally around 5000-10000 polys

So my question is, how many people really feel a need for this and would like some help? Or would you just like to see my process just to learn that way.

OR do people just need more of the UV unwrapping experience?

If there is a want for these tutorials I'd be happy to do it.

Just curious.

FYI the gun I would be modeling would most likely be SCAR which will be release in an upcoming weapons pack from SMA.

Well, I've been around for a while and think in general there will always be people who want/need a tutorial. This day in age, video tutorials are a great way to go. And if planning to carry it from to finish (including the O2 bits), that would very worthwhile I think. Having more than one, from different people would be ideal. As most people who model know, theres a lot of ways to skin the cat. So it makes sense to have a variety of examples available.

Curious, what apps would you be using?

Having a tutorial is always nice to have, however i think the 3DModel-to-Arma3 step is always the biggest issue. Modelling is kind of generic, so there are already alot of videos on youtube. But Arma specific modding is really rare.

If you search for tutorials, people guide you to arma 2 tutorials, which guide you to arma tutorials, which guide you to OFP tutorials... It's very laborious to find information of how it's done - and you never know if some of the stuff might be outdated.

Bro, an A to Z video would be awesome! would be nice to see the process visually... I always wished there was one for terrain making as I always get so far then run out of brain cells!

Alright so right now, I'm working with a small Mod team and all I'm doing is the modeling and unwrapping. But from the sound of it a couple of you guys would rather have the part right after that, Importing into O2 and actually getting it to work in Arma.

It's been a while but I have done this...I didnt make the A3 text guide :P And I actually did say I would try and make videos, so maybe it's time.

So maybe what I'll do is just take an older gun I have made and start right there?

Export from 3ds Max to O2

Rig in O2, for animation also

GO over some config work

Get it into Arma!

Sound good?

Hatchet_AS, I would be using 3ds Max 2012, Photoshop (If included), O2, and all the other Mod tools

And for Katipo66, I actually have never done any sort of terrain modding, only weapons.. Sorry! You coud still learn a few things though I'm sure!

I think out of everything involved in the process, having the link between 3d app to O2 and on, is for sure more needed than the rest. Like Fennek mentioned, tons of how-to model things out there. I was silently hoping you might be one of those uber O2 users, and were about to drop an O2 bomb. Lol, obviously you're not insane though.

I think utilizing whatever makes your process easiest is the way to go. I'd personally roll with something complete, and just back the process up and show things. Pro enough. :cool:

Yeah I'm going with just going from 3d to O2 and so on, skipping the whle modeling part. But if people like the videos I create of that and want the 3D modeling aspect I'll do it! I'll be like StarWars, everything will be backwards.. :P

Yeah I'm going with just going from 3d to O2 and so on, skipping the whle modeling part. But if people like the videos I create of that and want the 3D modeling aspect I'll do it! I'll be like StarWars, everything will be backwards.. :P

Hi zach, is this still a go? It would be greatly appreciated. Im actually a game modeller by profession, i work for a small games company,I make hi poly models in zbrush, low poly in max, and we use the unity game engine. Id love to mod arma but I do find it very difficult to gather info on setting things up in o2 and then getting it ingame. Ive spent hours searching the forums, but all I find is half information, and I have to say ive seen some pretty superior and off putting responses from the modding vets to questions from beginners. I dont have time to be a detective, i have too many other things that need doing in this life, i do think bohemia should really consider creating some start to finish videos. Failing that, something similar from yourself would be amazing! After all, I am fairly competent at creating this stuff, and id love to add content, but whenever I try to explore it, I tend to eventually conclude that im better of indulging my hobby creating in unity/unreal engine/cryengine.

Edited by manfred89

Export from 3ds Max to O2

Rig in O2, for animation also

GO over some config work

Get it into Arma!

Sound good?

Exactly what I would need! Thanks mate!

Maybe you can make a very simple crate in 3ds max export it to o2

and then arma.

I get stuck by export it from 3dsMax to o2, its to big in arma.

Please can you help me.

Hey guys sorry I've been gone for a while with family and didn't have my laptop!

And I know how much people hate videos without audio but I'm sorry, it's just going to have to be that way!

The videos are going to go along with my text guide zachgibson22s guide to adding weapons in arma 3"

Which in my opinion is the best current guide :) so this is actually going to help a LOT and go side by side with that. All that ill need to add is the animation part!

Only thing you guys are going to have to so is give me some time...

I like doing so many other things that this isn't my first priority! Haha

Oh, please do. I'm having a lot of trouble with importing my models to A3.

I would be interested in seeing you rig hand animations in O2

Personally I've been using Blender for that. Should I post a tutorial on how to export anims from blender?

Dear Zachgibson22

I would greatly appreciate a video of your development process.

Thanks

Ted