Sign in to follow this  
scorch_052

Using other author's 3D models (with permission ofc) to make addons?

Hi, I've gotten a basic understanding of texturing and config-work. I'm now interested in using 3D models form other games or software to create addons in ArmA 3.

If someone can provide me with a basic idea of where to get started, I'd greatly appreciate it.

What the mod -- and corresponding 3D model, as well as its source -- that you have in mind?

Well I've been looking at mods on http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ . Particularly this one. Obviously I'm going to make sure it isnt against any rules/laws/etc

Hi Scorch, this might answer some of you questions and guide you to a right direction. Also if I am not mistaken then BIS stated that eventually A2 sample models will be released. I would not bet 100% on what vehicle models will be included but it's worth truing to contact BI staff and maybe asking about their LAV25 model.

In theory the google warehouse models are free to use for both commercial and not commmercial projects without prior notice. That being said, it is common courtesy to give credit where its due and specify the original authors.

Regarding the file you linked to, bear in mind that the lav has been ripped out of dcs:world, which means reverse engineering and it is agains both dcs's eula, google's/ trimble's eula and bis eula. The same user have ripped content from bi games, so i would stay away from this sort of files.

When it comes to addon making, your best bet is to create your own,rather than work on top of other ppl files

What PuFu said, steer clear of that; I will say that when the Arma 2 sample models are released, you're allowed to use them as the basis for your mod so long as you follow the sample models' license... if you see a model, be careful re: permissions! For example, this is an unambiguous case of the modeler granting permissions for use, but unless you see something that clear, be wary!

The first thing you should think of... The mesh of the model, her UV mapping after export from scetch up and import to another 3D package, needs a lot of fixes, and much skilled work. And don't forget about lods creation.

And +1 to PuFu words.