Sign in to follow this  
jgbtl292

this is a driver view ....

lovely..... hope bis tune the driver view for his vanilla tanks... not all need a full interior - i think this is the best compromise. and not only the black forward Hole :j: great work great work...

Very nice!

Would achieving something like that require anything else than widening the driver's FOV and creating that 3 window black overlay?

Holy crap the model of that vehicle is beautiful. Outstanding attention to detail. ( the dried up mud splashes make it very authentic )

Also well done on the view ports I hope one day...

Also - anyone noticed that the tracked vehicles drive like cars rather than tracked vehicle? Very noticeable in this video and I find it true when driving myself.

Not to mention the firing sounds are nicely done and immersive

Yeah I really like the way they did this. It’s a lot like what I had in mind for the driver however not so much for the commander or gunner.

Here is what I wrote in my wish list on page 213 of the NO DISCUSSION thread about Driver optics and also optics vulnerability.

Better visibility and DETAIL for armored drivers Turned In: This is supposed to be the future...No one would make an armored vehicle with only one available view port unless they have absolutely no idea what they're doing and didn't learn from WWII. You can even see 3 distinct view ports on the driver hatches of the vehicles in Arma 3 right now, you should at least able to turn your head and look diagonally. Ideally the view ports would have...eh 135 degrees field of view? Also again, this is supposed to be the future… the drivers should have a dashboard with a screen that shows at least a rear facing camera that is Night Vision capable (ideally it would have a forward facing camera as well). And if you really want to get fancy... the driver's front facing camera should be connected to a slave system on their helmet like an Apache gunner... where ever he turns his head is where the camera looks, so that it would be just like if he was turned out. It doesn’t need thermal or anything super fancy just give him the tools to see where he’s going. (Night vision and a little bit of zoom to identify IED’s and mines.) We have web cams that can zoom, pan left, right, up, down, rotate 360, and track faces…I can’t see why we couldn’t mount a camera on a tank under the turret for the driver.

Armor Optics Vulnerable to Small Arms Fire: Any mounted weapon with a remote viewer SHOULD be vulnerable to small arms fire IF YOU CAN HIT IT. For tanks and APC’s at least, they should have a redundancy system. The periscope view ports (the 3 slots on the driver’s hatches) should be used only as a last resort after their good optics have been destroyed, but even the view ports should be able to get shot up so bad that you can’t see out. Obviously I know that 3rd person will make this feature useless but it should still be added. It’s too bad that the devs didn’t think of this before the models were made. I would have given the gunner a primitive periscope sight mounted next to and looking down along the bore of the main gun so it and his coaxial machine gun would still be somewhat effective. The gunner sight would be receded inside the armor of the turret, requiring a nearly straight on shot to hit it. The down side is that it wouldn’t be thermal or night vision, it wouldn’t have zoom and it would have a severely limited field of view. (Scenario) You’re hiding in a building and a tank pulls up beside you and stops in the street with no infantry support, you should be able to shoot out the optics of the tank partially or completely blinding it if you can hit all the cameras and view ports.

Ideally I’d like to see two different (inside) view options for crews especially if they implemented the Optics damage system I talked about.

Default view would look just like a turret camera that has been mounted next to the drivers hatch. You could pan left and right, up and down and press + or – to zoom in and out. (Night Vision too)

Right clicking would pull you from the driver camera and place you in the (Free Look) cockpit view.

Here’s a sweet picture I drew. 33esfb7.png (No it's not proportionate... I realize the view ports I drew give too much visibility to be realistic based on how much you can see of the hull and what not.)

Because you’re in free look, you could look around the cockpit and place the white crosshair on certain buttons to turn things on or off. E.G. Lights, Engine, GPS

(This isn’t something I’d like them to work on now and I know it probably wouldn’t run very well because of all the picture in picture stuff but I think it would be cool if they could optimize it and implement it….maybe a few years down the road.)

Edited by Squirrel0311

Project Reality mod for BF2 gives the driver a full 360 view with three zoom settings.

This gives the driver a new role as a spotter for the gunner, and the driver becomes as important as the gunner. It makes the driver position more interesting to play.

Edited by sparks50

Fantastische Arbeit! Hut ab meine Herren....

Lets hope that the developer will note this amazing work. Honestly, this is what I expected from ArmA 3. It looks like an armored personnel carrier and it sounds like an armored personnel carrier! There is no comparison to that "godawful tins" we actually suffer in ArmA 3. Not to mention the so called MBT "Slammer"......

:pet6:

Edited by CHB68
..typo

Hi, those 3D driver hatch/interior are great and work with the NVGs; there should be a way of make it have IR view too. But it look perfect on that Marder. Let's C ya

I think developers knows that they left this aspect as it as (so it's legacy of Arma2).

I hope that this video will make them move driver vision ports higher in their to do list.

Definitely nice work on the Puma. i'm not sure if the driver model is just an overlay or a real 3D model, since the driver player didn't move his head.

In case it is not a 3D model - here is my idea how it could be improved even further without too much efford:

A single simplified cockpit 3D Model for all vehicles would be sufficient. Instead of modelling all interior you only need the important bits: Tankmirrors, and maybe cameras. Put speed and rpm gauge in there just for some extra fun. Put this into a "3D model" and leave everything else black

I made a mockup:

mockup-driverkopieg3u5d.png

The head of the driver is completely enclosed by a simple model, which is entirely black (here grey, so you can see something)

There are holes for the viewports in the model and a small armature with a place for important displays. And that's it.

Apply it to every tank model and you have a functional solution that also allows a tiny bit of immersion and fun for the player.

As far as i know, you can define the internal view of a vehicle to something totally different, and nobody else but the driver can see it.

Since you can't drive by render 2 texture viewport-mirrors (unless you like playing games at 0.5fps), you can set the entire model above the hatch, which means you can see out of the holes, while retaining the possibility to rotate your head, and also see gauges/displays (if required/wanted). The driver is placed with his head and the viewports slightly above the actual hull, so he has the same view as if he would look through the viewport mirrors. The driver can also see the other parts of the hull (e.g. mirrors on the vehicle exterior). In the picture i forgot a hole so the driver doesnt stare at the tanks hull if he looks down to the displays.

mockup-driver2kopie7tuoi.png

This would improve the driver situation immensely, for all vehicles, while only requiring little efford

great renders. who wouldnt support this awesome approach?

puma has actual only a 2d - your idea is very very nice . great work. maby one for tanks and one for the whelled apc. on the apc its only a hatch with frontsight class and little triangles left and right.

Nice pictures yes, But that's how It works since OFP already...? Except for BIS being too (busy/lazy/ignorant) to model the interiors. And I don't think they want to make it completely black as a compromise. It's either all or nothing for them.

Nice pictures yes, But that's how It works since OFP already...? Except for BIS being too (busy/lazy/ignorant) to model the interiors. And I don't think they want to make it completely black as a compromise. It's either all or nothing for them.

Yer I was surprised they removed the interior view seeing as it was there what 12 years ago ?

the more quality stuff modders will produce, in terms of ideas, renders, and full blown mods, the less likely it is BIS will ever think about it. The less they work the more money they will spare.

I don't think they want to spare money – they have to choose where the budget goes. Its about priorities.

I actually kinda like their approach to deliver a sandbox and not to focus on too much content, because that means they neglect other things. Nevertheless they sadly didnt manage to make a great leap forward in those in regards of physics (granted its a bit better, but everything is better than the nonexistent) and SFX (explosions and particles??) beside the really well done lighting. Could go on whining. Seeing the blockbuster competitors I am thankful this franchise with all its lovely flaws still exists.

and the mp dudes. i play 99% mp has from all the great moder stuff 99% nothing ;) thats the big problem. ground features are better in the vanilla for all ^^ ok now with 15 frames after 30 min i have no pleasure more ... th eys show after 30 minutes play sleepy red an pain :j: and infantrymen playing -with 15-20 frames in mp is terrible ^^

Edited by JgBtl292

This! (and servers that actually run 1st person only)

Mmm, it would be nice to have vehicle interiors again, like in Arma 2's BMP-3. Where your character is put in a certain position, and you can move your head to see through the view ports. But this is a nice compromise for now.

Project Reality mod for BF2 gives the driver a full 360 view with three zoom settings.

This gives the driver a new role as a spotter for the gunner, and the driver becomes as important as the gunner. It makes the driver position more interesting to play.

This +1.

I always wanted this same function to Arma series' vehicles that have similar system in real life. No need for fancy 3D interior as long as the driver has a good view out and not some claustrophobic static port. It is truly enjoyable to be a driver in PR:BF2 cos of the secondary role as a spotter keeps you on your toes and gives you stuff to do while you are parked.