Sign in to follow this  
tierprot

Armor and weight

Guys, do anyone know what units are used for those variables or may be can clear up the situation? I mean what, for example, mass = 10 mean, is it 10 kg or 10 pounds or what. Same refers to armor - armor = 3*0.5; - what means 3 and what means 0.5?

Good question. Like to know that as well. Has anybody additonal insight on this ?

Guys, do anyone know what units are used for those variables or may be can clear up the situation? I mean what, for example, mass = 10 mean, is it 10 kg or 10 pounds or what. Same refers to armor - armor = 3*0.5; - what means 3 and what means 0.5?

1 mass = 1kg (see Collision Geometry)

Not sure about the armor equation. Where is that from?

1 mass = 1kg (see Collision Geometry)

Not sure about the armor equation. Where is that from?

Geometry mass in O2 (for physics, collision calculations etc.) and the "mass" parameter in the config (for the Arma 3 encumbrance/fatigue system) are different. I think OP is referring to the config parameter since the armor equation he's talking about is also applied to uniform items in the inventory, and appears to work in simmilar manner as the armor float in class hitpoints.

The "mass" parameter assigned to various BIS weapons, magazines, vests etc. doesn't really seem to coincide exactly with the real-world mass of any of their real-life counterparts. I'd say if it is based on a real-life unit of mass it'd be based on some sort of metric units (rather than imperial units like lbs, oz etc.) as all units in the RV engine are metric.

E.g. BIS Mk.20 has mass = 40; - FN F2000 Tactical = 3.39 kg (7.5 lb), BIS Mk.18 EBR has mass = 100; - Mk.14 EBR = 5.1 kg (11.24 lb)/M39 EMR = 7.5 kg (16.5 lb), 20rnd 7.62x51mm magazine (Mk.18 magazine) has mass = 12; - M14 20rnd magazine (loaded) = 0.738 kg (1.6236 lb)

I'd suggest BIS just scale the mass setting based on the total load capacity of a man and the various load-bearing uniform items in a way where units can carry a fairly realistic number of a particular item in their inventory rather than using exact units. If they are metric; Hectograms (1/10th of a kg) would appear to be the nearest approximation.

I'm pretty much clueless on the armor formula they're using. The result of the equation is used as a multiplier which scales how much damage is passed to certain hitpoint on the body as a percentage of the overall number of hitpoints that a unit has (the cfgVehicles integer as opposed to the hitpoints float). Perhaps the "3" is how many base hitpoints the part of the body that the armour is covering (the armor value of that part of unit when not wearing any body armour) and the "0.5" is how much the item attenuates damage to this part when armour covers it. I don't really know though.

Edited by da12thMonkey