Sign in to follow this  
bvrettski

Multiplayer dying fast??

Unfortunately, this is a trend recently. If you criticize something, you get bashed, called a whiner, and people will tell you "this game just isn't for you". Discussion is always disrupted by this camp enmity, any sort of decent conversation quickly vanishes in the sludge of insults and counter-insults. As Varanon said, we're all here because we like Arma. Obviously, most of us have different ideas what exactly Arma is for them, but there is no middle ground because, as pointed out, arguments get chocked every time they come up.

The thing that I see the least in such discussions are facts. And usually, if someone brings up some good facts, they get ignored.

Frustrating, to say the least. Counter-productive as well. Genuine concerns get swept under the table.

Yeah it's sad to say the least. A far cry from how the forums used to be. They were never perfect by any means, but they were never this bad.

---------- Post added at 22:56 ---------- Previous post was at 22:55 ----------

well, its either me or you, don't undrstand what a pssimist is.

You don't understand the whole concept of the argument you are even arguing at this point.

Yeah it's sad to say the least. A far cry from how the forums used to be. They were never perfect by any means, but they were never this bad.

---------- Post added at 22:56 ---------- Previous post was at 22:55 ----------

You don't understand the whole concept of the argument you are even arguing at this point.

do i? mmkay. Won't bother you explaining it to me.

Unfortunately, this is a trend recently. If you criticize something, you get bashed, called a whiner, and people will tell you "this game just isn't for you". Discussion is always disrupted by this camp enmity, any sort of decent conversation quickly vanishes in the sludge of insults and counter-insults. As Varanon said, we're all here because we like Arma. Obviously, most of us have different ideas what exactly Arma is for them, but there is no middle ground because, as pointed out, arguments get chocked every time they come up.

The thing that I see the least in such discussions are facts. And usually, if someone brings up some good facts, they get ignored.

Frustrating, to say the least. Counter-productive as well. Genuine concerns get swept under the table.

Reasonable comment. Do you think 'multiplayer is dying' is a genuine concern being swepted under the table, since player numbers are known and tracked, and since, this thread is at 26 pages?

If so, care to explain your view?

Reasonable comment. Do you think 'multiplayer is dying' is a genuine concern being swepted under the table, since player numbers are known and tracked, and since, this thread is at 26 pages?

If so, care to explain your view?

To be honest, I do not know. I play clan only, so I don't really notice these kinds of things. However, somebody came up with this impression. There are essentially two possibilities:

1) the OP is right, and multiplayer is declining.

2) the OP is wrong, and it isn't.

In case of 2, nothing is lost discussing the topic. In the case of 1, a lot is lost NOT discussing the topic.

So, is it a genuine concern? I don't know, but there is damn sure more to lose from ignoring a real problem than from discussing a non-existent one.

but this is a questionable thread as u see, it's not named something like "multiplayer dying because of..." instead it asks: "is it dying?" Well, i have only answer for it - check the pulse, if heart is beating, then it's is living.

Oh, and regarding, to some people saying: arma is a coop game only, and PvP is dead, check what most played mission are right now http://arma3.swec.se/game/statistics

top 10 - are all PvP missions.

Edited by NeuroFunker

To be honest, I do not know. I play clan only, so I don't really notice these kinds of things. However, somebody came up with this impression. There are essentially two possibilities:

1) the OP is right, and multiplayer is declining.

2) the OP is wrong, and it isn't.

In case of 2, nothing is lost discussing the topic. In the case of 1, a lot is lost NOT discussing the topic.

So, is it a genuine concern? I don't know, but there is damn sure more to lose from ignoring a real problem than from discussing a non-existent one.

Fair enough, in this topic the numbers are known and people can decide for themselves.

Tho i am curious, do you know of a real problem being ignored in the forum?

It doesn't seem like it's dying, but it feels like there's not a lot of people playing Domination, which is my favorite gamemode. I personally don't like PVPing on ArmA 3.

but this is a questionable thread as u see, it's not named something like "multiplayer dying because of..." instead it asks: "is it dying?" Well, i have only answer for it - check the pulse, if heart is beating, then it's is living.

Oh, and regarding, to some people saying: arma is a coop game only, and PvP is dead, check what most played mission are right now http://arma3.swec.se/game/statistics

That is because AI can cause a lot of lag. Not because people like PvP.

At least not that PvP. :yay:

At least not that PvP. :yay:

I'm not saying people don't like PvP, just that other factors can be at play here.

lol, thats probably the funniest testament, i've heard so far. :)

Its possible its just in a no-mans land at the moment, players want to play but are having issues, must admit I don't have issues, it runs really well, but there are some that are. Plus of course talk of bad performance and lack of content soon gets around many forums etc online, so new players that may have been thinking about playing could get put off, wait to see what happens, i.e. if its fixed, whatever it is players think is wrong.

New mods like 'Alive' could generate a lot of interest, it seems easy to use and fits nicely with mp I would have thought, large scale missions without having to put much effort in, not my thing but there you go, plus its performance friendly it seems.

If some more interesting mod/addons come along, that will help bring it up some too, just time.

The next 12 months or so will be the teller, but there will always be players that play A3 mp, so it won't completely die, even if it doesn't set any records, it will always find players.

:)

Not really the point. If I had a cent for every bad thread title, I guess I'd be rich. People like to exaggerate, sadly, to get attention.

Oh come on. The discussion of PvP vs. Coop vs. Whatever is as old as Operation Flashpoint, there is really no need to rehash that again. And to be honest, it doesn't interest me in the least. Everybody plays this game like he wants to, it's always been like that and if things don't go all FUBAR, that's how it will be. Personally, I am a coop player, and if 10 million were playing PvP now it wouldn't matter to me as long as there is a good Coop game going on. Which it always is at CiA ;)

The bottom line of this is, play how you like it.

Another thing is, the game feels like its unrealistically balanced. This is a major turn off for Arma PvP and Coop players. Because who likes "balanced generic faction 1, 2 and 3" slugging it out? Arma 2 was really fun when shit could rain down hell onto you.

To be fair tho, arma2's PvP scene didn't take off til the v1.60 Dec./'11 netcode patch.

DayZ came out that April. Wonder how many people playing DayZ right now? [straight-faced]

Another thing is, the game feels like its unrealistically balanced. This is a major turn off for Arma PvP and Coop players. Because who likes "balanced generic faction 1, 2 and 3" slugging it out? Arma 2 was really fun when shit could rain down hell onto you.

today i was on king on the hill mission server, there was mi-48 "kayman" assaulting the city with me and enemies in it, there was really the shit raining down. So how is that different to arma 2?

I play a longer session of coop with my friends once every week. So far we had a great time. Most of us agree that the amount of time we have spent so far in Arma 3 for it's price and compared to other games (we're mostly flight simulator oriented, not really hardcore Arma players) makes it GOTY. All of us spent more time in Arma 3 than any other game released this year and despite some shortcomings, each session was immense fun. However, this is basically the only good way to fully enjoy Arma. If anyone just picks up the game and wants to join an MP server and have some fun, the experience will most probably be discouraging. The Life and Wasteland mods are dominating the non-password locked servers and these games are not really what Arma is about, not to mention that even for someone with Arma experience they are very confusing.

Arma's main problem is lack of some standard multiplayer mode out of the box, something like Domination of Advance and Secure so that dedicated servers which anyone could join and play PvP could start showing in numbers. It's also a shame that the campaign does not have any coop capability. I suppose this will change with time. Project Reality is something I am looking forward to, some other mods like the recent Alive thing show great promise as well. These thing just need more publicity than the Wasteland stuff.

I play a longer session of coop with my friends once every week. So far we had a great time. Most of us agree that the amount of time we have spent so far in Arma 3 for it's price and compared to other games (we're mostly flight simulator oriented, not really hardcore Arma players) makes it GOTY. All of us spent more time in Arma 3 than any other game released this year and despite some shortcomings, each session was immense fun. However, this is basically the only good way to fully enjoy Arma. If anyone just picks up the game and wants to join an MP server and have some fun, the experience will most probably be discouraging. The Life and Wasteland mods are dominating the non-password locked servers and these games are not really what Arma is about, not to mention that even for someone with Arma experience they are very confusing.

Arma's main problem is lack of some standard multiplayer mode out of the box, something like Domination of Advance and Secure so that dedicated servers which anyone could join and play PvP could start showing in numbers. It's also a shame that the campaign does not have any coop capability. I suppose this will change with time. Project Reality is something I am looking forward to, some other mods like the recent Alive thing show great promise as well. These thing just need more publicity than the Wasteland stuff.

you can see a positive thing about wastland and arma being most populated, it keeps all the trolls, immature (not by the age only) less intellectual people, who only would like to spoil someones game, TKing at bases, destroying vehicles and other shit, maybe few hackers as well. ;)

---------- Post added at 04:46 ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 ----------

Not really the point. If I had a cent for every bad thread title, I guess I'd be rich. People like to exaggerate, sadly, to get attention.

Oh come on. The discussion of PvP vs. Coop vs. Whatever is as old as Operation Flashpoint, there is really no need to rehash that again. And to be honest, it doesn't interest me in the least. Everybody plays this game like he wants to, it's always been like that and if things don't go all FUBAR, that's how it will be. Personally, I am a coop player, and if 10 million were playing PvP now it wouldn't matter to me as long as there is a good Coop game going on. Which it always is at CiA ;)

The bottom line of this is, play how you like it.

lol, i hear you, but i'm no way to "dectate" anyone, what to play and what not. I do just enjoy coop along with PvP, from domination to wasland, RPG life to dayz, it came just to my mind, seeng this top 10 missions in stats, that some people were claiming PvP in arma is dead, which ofcourse is a false statement. :)

@Bvrettski

LOL I love you guys.....

but I'm calling you out for stat padding...since calling people out is what the cool kids do.....

How is giving you a graph of the past 30 days without any qualifications "stat padding"? They're not my stats, and you can't pad stats if you don't make them or take them from a biased source.
Yup the trend is up on weekends and holidays. So is every other game on the face of the planet.
At least I gave stats to back up my claims. By the way, the stats are clearly up during weekdays, off-peak hours, and generally at all times. At any rate, the thread is about the MP "dying", and clearly it isn't. It might not be gaining quickly, but it also isn't losing anyone (to the contrary...).
I'm not really calling you out. Thats would be a waste of time. Everyone sees things as they want to...but thanks for making some of my points DNK.
I figured you were claiming that the MP was in bad shape. Here I see that it isn't, that there are a variety of popular missions to choose from. Is it the fact that they're all popular missions that were "copied" from A2? I don't understand what the issue is with that... that the community liked certain missions and decided to continue to play them in the updated engine/game... this is a problem? The thread that you started was literally about "MP dying". It isn't. That's been shown multiple times now. I do not understand your other points apparently... please restate them clearly, this thread has gone on some time and they're buried now I guess.
Might be 8:30 am where you are but the timestamp on my post says 11:30 PM..thats when I got on to post in the forums not when I took the screenshot...so your just plain wrong. Again
What is your point again? You clearly live in a not-too-popular timezone for Arma, then you seem to say it's Arma/BI's issue that no one plays at your time... Yeah, no one plays when I'm on either since I'm in +7GMT. I'm not generalizing about how MP has issues because of that...

@ Varanon/NeuroFunker

that all, doesn't cover the fact, people repeat all the same things over and over, in selfcopying threads. They seem to be lazy or something, to read the forums, where it's being discussed for ages, instead making all the same therads, all the same posts. I'm not denying that arma has it's flaws, and like in everything on our damn world, there is no limit for perfection!
Since I know I'm being targeted too (I have called people whiners)... This. It's not just this but the outright enmity such posters show for the devs, at times personally. It's a mixture of entitlement, unrealistic expectations, and disrespect towards both the devs and community. I return it in kind sometimes, but I always back up my claims with argument and evidence. Mostly I find a lack of substance on the other end, not always but very often. There have been plenty of posters who come in, whine, bad-mouth devs if not the community as a whole, demand a bunch of unrealistic things claiming they're owed it, claim the devs are misleading everyone to make money, and when you make a substantive response, you often find nothing on the other side.

Yes, I could be a bit less rude in my responses. I am aware of this and have been trying (sometimes unsuccessfully) to be more polite. I'm afraid sometimes I offend people who really aren't as bad as some of these other posters.

What statistics ? Numbers ? The only numbers I have seen here are from someone who counters the idea of a healthy MP. So if he can come up with numbers, why can't you ?
You mean the statistics Bvrettski posted from the site I've linked to 3-4 times in this thread before that? You know, a giant colored graph should suffice. I've posted numbers a bunch of times. I did so on the first page. Post 16. That should've ended the thread, but here it goes on and on and on. You do realize I'm arguing that MP is not "dying"? I'm not sure how I could argue about MP being "healthy" or not, since that's a very subjective claim and hard to really support or negate. The numbers seem pretty healthy, upward in trend, mostly PvP but there are decent COOP and mixed PvP/vAI servers also.
I don't know. Maybe quote the statics or provide a link to it ?
Post 16, my last post. A few others in between. The only reasons there are numbers in this thread is because I've put them here. Only recently has the OP bothered to supply his own, which don't negate any I've posted, and mostly come from the site I posted on the first page.
Or because the COOP community hasn't moved over 95% of their missions OR ACE and wants to keep on with A2/OA. That's what the A2/OA numbers show, mostly COOP players. That's not BI's issue or whatever, it's just understandable since many of the communities and missions would have a hard time moving over to a new game with or without a flawed MP (and it's not totally flawed by any means). They will move slowly, and much faster when an ACE-like mod comes about, but that can take literal years. Edited by DNK

I try to play MP but it always crashes now, even after a fresh install and every 'fix' I can look up. :j:

SP works fine but is boring.

I try to play MP but it always crashes now, even after a fresh install and every 'fix' I can look up. :j:

SP works fine but is boring.

Well you sir have an "actual" problem. Any error message? Single player is only boring because you probably don't know how to create missions. :p

Well you sir have an "actual" problem. Any error message?

Only via event viewer which seems to be blaming PhysX3_x86.dll

Faulting application name: arma3.exe, version: 1.6.112.613, time stamp: 0x528c7f68

Faulting module name: PhysX3_x86.dll, version: 3.2.4.1, time stamp: 0x5164246f

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x001521cb

Faulting process id: 0xa08

Faulting application start time: 0x01ceefd6bbf9b755

Faulting application path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe

Faulting module path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\PhysX3_x86.dll

Report Id: 0d1a1388-5bcc-11e3-8486-d43d7e912ade

The game just waits a seemingly random time and freezes. Can't replicate it at all in SP. Explosions, vehicles doing stuff, etc. all works unless I play multi (where it used to work but now doesn't feel like it).

Edit: also I see a lot of people join and d/c without talking whenever I test on a somewhat populated server.

strange, physix related patches were fixed in latest patches. Try uninstall physx driver and update to latest.

Edited by NeuroFunker

strange, phasix related patches were fixed in latest patches. Try uninstall physx driver and update to latest.

Yeah that's what I kept finding in searches... seems to be the total opposite for me, though, as I'd never had them before. And I've already updated, unfortunately, didn't seem to make any difference.

he don't need uninstal physx drivers, we don't use physx 1.x or 2.x , we use 3.x which is delivered with game not drives ...

but ye there are quite some crashes in physx 3.x and we work with nvidia to solve it