Sign in to follow this  
bvrettski

Multiplayer dying fast??

You can't rely on that. I've logged THOUSANDS of hours in arma 2, but I've only got about 17 hours logged. Same for arma 3. If you launch it with playwith6 or a few other launching tools, it doesn't count that you're playing it.

I was certain only people not showing up in steam stats are pirates, but just checked it and you're right! Steam doesn't register you playing if you used a launcher and steam wasn't running on startup.

Nevertheless, I believe steam stats are accurate enough to show the general trend. Unless launchers and not running steam is suddenly becoming an increasingly common practise.

I was certain only people not showing up in steam stats are pirates, but just checked it and you're right! Steam doesn't register you playing if you used a launcher and steam wasn't running on startup.

Nevertheless, I believe steam stats are accurate enough to show the general trend. Unless launchers and not running steam is suddenly becoming an increasingly common practise.

I don't think it's too common with A3 to use external launchers. I think most run steam, as it's easier than ever to manage mods in any case. I don't even se any need for using a "launcher", aside from it's just extra bells and whistles. The only exception (I believe) would be playWithSix maybe... since you can sync your mods with server etc. My 2c.

not today, next DEV update ... ;)

Dwarden,

Not that you can tell us but is there ever going to be any official p vs p multiplayer ? It would be nice to have some well designed, small to large scale multiplayer missions as part of the game. Would make a nice foundation for multiplayer IMO.

Thanks

When will that "significant new multiplayer feature" that was announced, be revealed?

Dwarden,

Not that you can tell us but is there ever going to be any official p vs p multiplayer ? It would be nice to have some well designed, small to large scale multiplayer missions as part of the game. Would make a nice foundation for multiplayer IMO.

Thanks

Concerning PvP, you should have a look at the Tactical Battlefield game mode that will be out soon. BI would need to do an awful lot to even come remotely close to TB and their efforts would most likely be for nothing. Dr.Eyeball and those guys are of BI Dev quality in any case... You can say goodbye (pretty much) to every other would be PvP game mode / contender. The TB ran servers will be full.

Edited by Iceman77

Concerning PvP, you should have a look at the Tactical Battlefield game mode that will be out soon. BI would need to do an awful lot to even come remotely close to TB and their efforts would most likely be for nothing. Dr.Eyeball and those guys are of BI Dev quality in any case... You can say goodbye (pretty much) to every other would be PvP game mode / contender. The TB ran servers will be full.

It looks really good. I'm excited to see it. It would be nice to have a bunch of game modes / types to play / host etc. Often times these missions become community only content or in the case of Sa-Matra's Wasteland you have to go through an approval process to be consider for hosting it. Which seemed kind of counter to the whole openness of the game. There is still plenty of room I think beyond TB for more well written gametypes. In my opinion the game is still without a p v p multiplayer foundation.....as BI has yet to release anything on that front.

I see lots of posters talk affectionately about vanilla A2 or vanilla Arma in general but I have no idea what that means. I would guess vanilla Arma means the core / original Arma game and missions (that BI created with their own vision of Arma should be played) but there don't seem to be any of those written by BI that any old timers feel are worth anything.

Edited by Bvrettski

Good news....

One of multiple factors that may affect multiplayer performance are various real-time security applications interfering with BattlEye anti-cheat. We are trying to look into this with companies such as ESET, but meanwhile there are configuration tips that may help you. Our programmers are also still trying to tackle the larger topic of performance in multiplayer compared to singleplayer.

No real time security applications here, yet same performance issues. It's very mission-specific (always happens in the same missions after the same amount of time played).

clean up is definately a factor. i played as local host with one friend against dynamically spawning AI and before i added a cleanup routine my FPS would drop to a steady 15 FPS like on all these servers.

Game's time is up now imho, to much tweaking and to less fixing of core problems or bugs that have been there since alpha stage. Personally I'm rapidly loosing the will to play, to mod , to have anything to do with arma3, with regard to multiplayer most people are playing full conversion mods that are mostly not a lot to do with battle Sims like arma life etc

I'm beginning to feel its not worth the effort to mod the sounds when each part is a new battle because of faults with the main game, 2 reports I put in have been on the assigned handle (of which I suspect only were set to that status because i stamped my feet) have not been commented on or updated at all, one has even been there since the late alpha stage.

These things, and now seeing new "Free" content (like its not something we already own in BAF etc) and also seeing a competition with a money prize for content creation just seems like reaching at straws, do BIS not understand that most content creators help and share with one another? there's a possibility that a mod wins and then some content in the mod was created by the same guy in another mod? It has the potential to cause problems within the community.

Personally I think the real problems that are not getting fixed, which is a great shame considering this game was billed at the continuation and next generation of the arma series.

You should try the tactical battlefield pvp mod. It was released 2 days ago and its had a steady 100+ players on daily. It looks like multiplayer may not be dead after all :) www.tacticalbattlefield.net

Well what do ya know. And this is only the tip of the iceberg :cool:

Game's time is up now

Clearly.

I'd like to try Tactical Battlefield but when I looked using both the Arma server browsers and Play with six there two unpopulated servers in the US. I'm in Mountain time. The rest of the servers were 170+ pings for me. Additionally they are handling it like Sa-matra did where you have to apply to run the mod. I'm not sure this helps get the gametype rolling.

I've noticed one thing that really seems to hurt Arma in a way...the most popular missions seem to be largely "self starters." By that I mean servers that don't need 10-20 players to get started. DayZ, Wasteland, Life. Without some core missions that people want to play ( a foundation) the game is kind of a crap shoot... where you do a lot of poking around to find a game worth playing and a server that is populated. It takes a fairly large core group of guys to be there every day to get a server started if its p vs p and not a self started like dayz or wasteland.

Lastly..I wonder if the contest was the reveal BIS had been hinting at? If so, I'm excited about the prospect of some great content but I'm disappointed they are just passing the buck. Pun intended.

If you can't make a good multiplayer game type then throw money at it and hope someone does the work for you.

Edited by Bvrettski

I'd like to try Tactical Battlefield but when I looked using both the Arma server browsers and Play with six there two unpopulated servers in the US. I'm in Mountain time. The rest of the servers were 170+ pings for me. Additionally they are handling it like Sa-matra did where you have to apply to run the mod. I'm not sure this helps get the gametype rolling.
I believe that it's (attempted) quality control... I definitely noticed that when the arguments over 404/GoT vs. Sa-Matra were raging, the impression was that the application process was part and parcel of the ability to maintain QC across the fewer servers running Sa-Matra.
I've noticed one thing that really seems to hurt Arma in a way...the most popular missions seem to be largely "self starters." By that I mean servers that don't need 10-20 players to get started. DayZ, Wasteland, Life. Without some core missions that people want to play ( a foundation) the game is kind of a crap shoot... where you do a lot of poking around to find a game worth playing and a server that is populated. It takes a fairly large core group of guys to be there every day to get a server started if its p vs p and not a self started like dayz or wasteland.
Sounds like a fundamental issue with the Arma gameplay concept! :lol:
If you can't make a good multiplayer game type then throw money at it and hope someone does the work for you.
I'd rather that then we be forever left with... well, a product of those that in your hypothetical "can't make a good multiplayer game type."

ok testing new experimental dedicated server code (better MT on error calculations)

81.0.236.125:2302

81.0.236.125:2402

fill them

Lastly..I wonder if the contest was the reveal BIS had been hinting at? If so, I'm excited about the prospect of some great content but I'm disappointed they are just passing the buck. Pun intended.

You're right, right now it are usually the EU servers that are populated. But playing with 170 ping doesn't mean you cant play on the server. We have enough people with 300+ ping who play on our server without any problems. 2 of them even being part of the TacBF mod team. Also nobody has to apply to run the mod on their server or to play the mod. Everybody can setup their own server, only those that want to be in the official server have to apply.

You're right, right now it are usually the EU servers that are populated. But playing with 170 ping doesn't mean you cant play on the server. We have enough people with 300+ ping who play on our server without any problems. 2 of them even being part of the TacBF mod team. Also nobody has to apply to run the mod on their server or to play the mod. Everybody can setup their own server, only those that want to be in the official server have to apply.

This.

I wouldn't join past 200ping, but under 200 is ok.

Main problem with higher ping is packet-loss leading to server kick or drop.

So, if the connection is solid, good to go.

Dwarden's stress test server is up cz02 info:

http://arma3.swec.se/server/data/65434

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

cz01 info:

http://arma3.swec.se/server/data/65154

ok testing new experimental dedicated server code (better MT on error calculations)

81.0.236.125:2302

81.0.236.125:2402

fill them

Just curious as to why they are Sa-Matra wasteland?

Sa-Matra has a prior reputation for quality mission coding, at least relative to other Wasteland iterations, and I distinctly remember Dwarden in particular anecdotally complimenting Sa-Matra on this front.

Just curious as to why they are Sa-Matra wasteland?

Best way to test performance? It has PVP, AI, good coding, objectives...

And people willing to play it!

Yesterday the server was smooth except for the times it was been tweaked by someone. But it was on Stratis with 40 players.

And people willing to play it!

Yesterday the server was smooth except for the times it was been tweaked by someone. But it was on Stratis with 40 players.

I'd like to see them run it on Altis with 50+ players and measure performance across time. A lot of people (myself included) see good performance with low players and right after restarts but soon fps is cut by 1/3.

Well, the 2 servers have been full for serveral hours yesterday as well as today, and I still got up to 50-60 fps in the wilderness with 5+ hours server uptime. So client performance is really good, however there's some rubberbanding and desync going on, but I guess that's network related (server fps probably low).

Will the code optimizations be included in the patch tomorrow?

I'd like to see them run it on Altis with 50+ players and measure performance across time. A lot of people (myself included) see good performance with low players and right after restarts but soon fps is cut by 1/3.

i will try concentrate on Altis MP performance after 1.08 Stable is out

please realize all the MP tweaks/optimizations we testing in past ~ week will not be in 1.08 Stable but i will provide special binary to interested server admins with them (just like we have no for 1.06)

Edited by Dwarden