Sign in to follow this  
bvrettski

Multiplayer dying fast??

Not arguing against anything.

Total lack of investment for multiplayer? http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=15987

If I believed in the tracker still, I'd upvote it. The one real large flaw in the release has been how poorly MP has been handled and how little was put into it. I'd rather they shifted resources from the campaign towards proper MP missions (PvP specifically) that were more realism/difficulty-balanced than other FPS titles. Or even some that weren't. It'd just be nice to have widely-supported CTF or smaller TDMs, but I'm glad we have KOTH at least now.

If I believed in the tracker still, I'd upvote it. The one real large flaw in the release has been how poorly MP has been handled and how little was put into it. I'd rather they shifted resources from the campaign towards proper MP missions (PvP specifically) that were more realism/difficulty-balanced than other FPS titles. Or even some that weren't. It'd just be nice to have widely-supported CTF or smaller TDMs, but I'm glad we have KOTH at least now.

Believed in it? I can assure you they use it a ton. If you have a good ticket and please check to make sure it's not a duplicate, then message me with the link and I can review it.

It seems like only bugs get treated by it, though. Every dev update, etc, seems to have only referenced bug issues. I don't fault them for it, but it is how it is.

Also, I totally forgot my credentials.

Total lack of investment for multiplayer? http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=15987

In this ticket I added the following note even though its lumped in with a whole host of other unrelated multiplayer stuff:

The larger issue is that there is no multiplayer except for a handful of small coops. Relying on content from the community (which are often times, buggy, broken, no longer compatible, unsupported and / or works in progress) leaves the multiplayer aspect of A3 empty and dying.

The current crop of gametypes and missions are largely revisions to A2 missions.

Additionally the server browser is broken and reports inaccurate numbers of servers, types and players.

Top quality MP missions and gametypes should have been on the drawing board months if not years ago and should be officially coded, tested, and maintained over the life of the game. Yes this takes time, money and resources but if A3 is a game and not just a game engine then you actually need to provide some large scale multiplayer, p vs p, content here.

If there is a better way to post this separately please let me know. I doubt BIS will even acknowledge it. That tracker post looks more like the wastebasket /catchall for MP than anything they will take seriously.

I doubt BIS will even acknowledge it. That tracker post looks more like the wastebasket /catchall for MP than anything they will take seriously.

Yeah, BIS tracker = Steam Arma 3 forum's Trash Bin. Or as I like to call it, "The Pile of Perpetual Ignorage".

I lost faith in BIS a long time ago. Now, I just have hopes for the community doing what they can.

To be clear, I don't trust in the tracker for big issues (not bugs, I think it's used for those clearly enough) because I think the devs already know well enough about "big issues" from the forums (they haven't changed in many months), and that they're doing what they can about it already, or it's been put off for good reasons for a later patch/release. I think the tracker might have been useful very early in alpha for big issues and new features and getting support for them, but certainly by late spring the devs had decided on a course and further voting/tickets wasn't going to change it.

So, at this point, the tracker is a bug tracker, not a feature requester, since we're clearly not in that part of the development cycle anymore.

Believed in it? I can assure you they use it a ton. If you have a good ticket and please check to make sure it's not a duplicate, then message me with the link and I can review it.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=432

Posted 3-MAR-13

Over 2,000 upvotes by the community,

Status: Reviewed, not assigned, Reviewed. But god forbid someone misspells a word in a translation, and they assign a dev and have that fixed within the day.

Yeah, they sure do prioritize what the community wants.

The MP is only Wasteland/Altis Life Crap, thought this was a COOP series, Invade&Annex is the only mission out there and is allready boring... for myself i stuck with arma2... way better mp experience, way better WAR FEELING...

Well its not surprising really is it, considering how poor the MP runs and its not extactly stable in most cases, not only that but the MP browser is just pathetic and crap. What we got is a shoddy MP system which hasnt been updated properly since OFP, its like BIS are stuck in a bloody timeloop from 2001..

Its like

Shall we update the MP design?

ArmA

..... naaaaaaa

Arma 2

..... hmmmm naaaaaaaaaaaaa

naaa? naaaaaaaaaaaa

ARMA 3.... doo doo dooooooo drum roll pleaaze

Shall we update the MP?

... Naarr

No?

.. naah

NO?

...... naaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sure?

... yeeeeeeea

Arr well worth a go i suppose, were just keep adding more glamour to the game insted of improving the fundmental issues which have been there since the beginning. :mad:

Edited by Opticalsnare

The browser is known WIP -- namely, support for the Steam server browser ("Arma3Client" in the games list) -- but it currently only supports dev branch servers (and thus dev branch build) at this time.

The browser is known WIP -- namely, support for the Steam server browser ("Arma3Client" in the games list) -- but it currently only supports dev branch servers (and thus dev branch build) at this time.

It shows all servers now, not just dev branch.

It shows all servers now, not just dev branch.

it still has bugs to iron out ... along many other things

It certainly doesn't help that the player base is divided in two because of the dev branch vs. the stable version.

Right, "known WIP"... yeah, it's been like that since ages, so how does that make it "known WIP" ? You should get away from the idea that "we are considering looking into it" means "We are improving it". There has been no promises made... fine with me, but let's not forget that and declare everything WIP, which it isn't.

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

It certainly doesn't help that the player base is divided in two because of the dev branch vs. the stable version.

Since the dev branch also contains heavy content patches, they will probably not be able to change that any time soon. On Arma 2, content patches were always postponed until release.

Right, "known WIP"... yeah, it's been like that since ages, so how does that make it "known WIP" ? You should get away from the idea that "we are considering looking into it" means "We are improving it". There has been no promises made... fine with me, but let's not forget that and declare everything WIP, which it isn't.

This might be a good sign then?

adgW2LE4.jpg

Dev branch doesn't have much servers because it's unstable. If you want to play you pretty much need to change for main branch. So I don't see that the player base is divided in two.

This might be a good sign then?

http://imgbox.com/adgW2LE4

Looks good.

Hardly the case. I run dev most of the time and there's pretty much no populated servers to get a decent game going. At time of writing there's 7 players on 90 servers. On stable there's 1328 on 1137. (Late night US, Early morning EU).

The majority of content creators stick with stable as their scripts/missions/stuff don't potentially break every day. It makes sense for players and servers to run the same. There are odd times when running DEV takes precedence with new vanilla content previews, superior server/multi/singleplayer performance or new/fixes critical function as the major draw to jump over, but this should really be a limited number.

There's benefits to both but overall stable is the default for a more consistent experience.

Weekly lack of multiplayer report...

31 - 5+ populated servers with less than 100 ping (US)

9 - Breaking Point Servers (Dayz)

6 - Wasteland Servers

3 - Invade & Annex

2 - King of the Hills

3 - Altis Life Servers

8 - Others

Total players 323

Gametracker (worldwide)

Servers: 717

Players: 1040

So you picked the worst possible time on purpose for your statistic?

There was 4000 players this weekend at peak hours.

We run a public server (Invade & Annex/Patrol Ops) and average around 20 players on most nights. Everyone is on Teamspeak with ACRE. Teamwork and cooperation is always brilliant :)

This weekend we had over 30 people turn up to one of our private operations (our greatest turnout yet) and played for over 3 hours straight (with numbers still going strong). A great deal of those that attended initially found us through our public server.

Even though we were playing against AI, frame rate seemed pretty stable throughout.

Just thought I'd throw that in there (for what it's worth) to give a moral boost to some of those that think MP is dying - it's quite the opposite - it's expanding, in quantity and quality. You've just got to find the right servers ;)

Edited by GDSN

I for one was playing a few mechanized infantry assaults on Altis with a squad's worth of players all on Mumble simultaneously hours ago.

So you picked the worst possible time on purpose for your statistic?

There was 4000 players this weekend at peak hours.

Yeah, it's pretty clear Bvrettski is either grinding an axe or just a dishonest person in general.

I think a lot of the issues about FPS that people are mentioning here aren't necessarily the fault of BIS but more of the game mods they are playing that are heavy on scripting and AI.

I think a lot of the issues about FPS that people are mentioning here aren't necessarily the fault of BIS but more of the game mods they are playing that are heavy on scripting and AI.

Shhh.. Don't give away secrets. On a serious note, these are my thoughts too. I can't understand why I can play MP just fine on a slightly less than mid range system, and persons with monster systems have horrible issues. What I do understand however.. is what servers and game modes to stay away from (or to join rather). That may be the key factor in all of this bad performance & complaining about Mp performance.

Not saying the game couldn't use better optimization, but I think the majority of complaints are being directed at the wrong persons ( BI ).