Sign in to follow this  
bvrettski

Multiplayer dying fast??

This is the killer for me. There's simply no populated gamemode that I really want to play that doesn't offer anything I can't get offline or has been done better in other games. I really appreciate the work that's put into them, but I simply do not find them appealing.

Wasteland? It's pretty fun, but I don't like free for alls that much. Domi (and subsequent derivatives)? I've been playing that one for years. It's old hat now and kinda showing it's age and it's stale to me. Altis life? It's a funny distraction at times, but the civ life rpg just isn't for me. DayZ clone X? Meh.

I'm really looking forward to beCTI, Alive and PR:A3 (if they ever get around to release) for a more involved teamwork based experience. It's tough finding like-minded individuals on the public servers AND a game mode/mission that's fresh.

On a different rant, I really miss the beta as a mod method from A2. I currently can't play on A3 [DEV] and stable without opting-in/out and re-downloading stuff all the time. This is too time-consuming for me to bother and I feel I miss out on a lot.

Same here. However ARMA II Operation Arrowhead had one PvP mission I thought was pretty cool, yet has been very little played. SC 48 sector controll, it was actually quite fun to play, when wanting to play some casual ARMA. I so hope Project Reality comes around as soon as possible, but considering the fact that they are making their own game now, I have doubts.

Our group still didn't start seriously playing A3. This is mainly due to the lack of important Gameplay mechanics such as Weapon rest and a decent medical system. Some of us didn't even buy the game because of that. So we continue playing A2. I bet it is the same in many other groups.

+1 to this.

Give it time, Arma 3 after all will succeed Arma 2.

I bet many people are playing Arma 2 while they wait for mods like ACE3. Some of the most popular mods of Arma2 aren't setup for Arma 3 yet because of the fact modding tools aren't out yet.

Edited by ProGamer

Well, just early this week, we had WOG russian games, 120man full server, each week, about 100 people playing. We have 4-5 clans in a3rc.com group, about 60 man all together, at least half came from A2, others from dayz and when A3 came out. So, at least the Russian community can enjoy arma 3. And i bet, the majority who playes arma does. Like chortless said, in my rate the first episode thread:

And this is why Arma development is "damned if you do, damned if you don't," because going in any direction at all is going to set off somebody.

People come, people go, and yes, Arma 2 is still there, for anyone who isn't happy with arma 3, for whatever a reson :)

I bet many people are playing Arma 2 while they wait for mods like ACE3. Some of the most popular mods of Arma2 aren't setup for Arma 3 yet because of the fact modding tools aren't out yet.

Im in this boat.

Let me ask a question or two from the mission development side of things.

What can we do to make Multiplayer more enjoyable for the player base? Are there certain features that people would prefer to have available whenever possible?

What can we do to make Multiplayer more enjoyable for the player base? Are there certain features that people would prefer to have available whenever possible?

Performance fix for MP is priority . . . too many people are suffering from it. The community can't do really very much about it. If performance would be fixed in the first place I believe more people would play MP.

A lot of people bought Arma 3, then voted on making things more realistic and a few feature requests mixed in and then went back to Arma 2 while they wait to see if BI values Realism>Gameplay or Gameplay>Realism. And whether or not BI adds things that people want.

See here for yourself: http://feedback.arma3.com/plugin.php?page=Vote/list_bugs

Edited by ProGamer

Performance fix for MP is priority

This is the thing that really puzzles me about ArmA, i can understand desync/rubberband effect etc. but why does my end graphic rendering degrade so much in multiplayer?

I love all the improvements to Arma 3 , it just feels and looks so much better. Sadly I'm still playing Arma 2 most of the time because the multiplayer is more fun in Arma 2. :( I just can't seem to get a captivating game going in Arma 3?

i think one of the bad fps on the mp servers is the vehicle physic.

all rune fine with only infantry - then make the same map and place 3-4 vehicles .. and the fps on th server go deeper and deeper .....

Coop runs WAY better than A2. Units aren't warping everywhere anymore, they aren't disappearing or doing other random things.

wait to see if BI values Realism>Gameplay or Gameplay>Realism.
But.... what if they value both? .... (and you can't after a full release figure out where they rest on the spectrum? You need a few more patches to figure it out?)
BI might just not have the manpower to do all of that... In fact, I'm going to definitively say they don't. This is a company that couldn't have more than 30-40 devs on salary, and many wouldn't be appropriate for these bugs, and those that are probably have bigger fish to fry than setting up whole new systems. Not to mention a lot of those issues probably aren't worth a quarter of the necessary effort/expense.

..Not to mention a lot of those issues probably aren't worth a quarter of the necessary effort/expense.

Either way or another (lets talk about the most voted features) are little things your customers believe are essential for them..

*Lets' get back on topic.

Seeing the way BI wanted to expand ARMA3 to a wider player-crowd..Netcode changes/performance should have been *top on their to-do list-from the "alpha" era.

I really believe they have already lost a big portion of gamers that got frustrated-and most of them probably wont coming back.

Yes..ok..they already purchased ARMA3 and *Marek is smiling..but this doesn't sound like a smart move to me..

Edited by GiorgyGR

No it isn't not dying.

In this case i should assume 2 things:

a)Either you are checking MP once in a week (because from Monday to Friday there is totally different reality..)

b)Either you Photoshopped this :)

Seriously..

Once..i bought BF2BC2-and i CAN'T remember one time i haven't found a "busy" server list to choose one-anytime on day and night

This we see here..it's not (by-far) satisfactory for a "new" game (as ARMA 3 is).

*added later

Ahh..and about the gamemodes you showing with pride.

Wasteland

King of the Hill

FFT

Altis life (!??oO)

None of those i can play with my Q6600 and the previously commented Hilarious mission scripting AND BI's netcode.

If you believe the majority can afford a NASA i7 then...ok..let me be the only one i ll get frustrated and get my ranting a$$

to some other title i can handle ok..

*But..i know-you know i m not the only one here...

Edited by GiorgyGR

Hi GiorgyGR. No that wasn't photoshopped. Also, I'm not showing any game modes with "pride". I'm simply presenting real proof that this claim is false. With all do respect, whether or not you can play any of those on your Q6600 is irrelevant. Obviously hundreds upon hundreds of others could. Idk about any hilarious mission scripting (though I'm sure i do plenty of it myself /shrug). After all the community relies on itself to make content. No ones perfect and sometimes people can only give you their best. Sometimes it isn't "omg super 733t" code that makes a scenario good... Your average player doesn't care about "hilarious" code.

On another note, server filtering is really wonky sometimes. I hate it.

Edited by Iceman77

King of the hill missions are really well coded and I can play them fine with my less then awesome rig (see post)

JgBtl292: Do you think you can set up a multiplayer repro mission? The Devs asked for one in the other tread about multiplayer performance.

LKincheloe: I already enjoy a couple of missions. But if you ask for ideas here is one. It would be nice to have a mission similar to domination, but with the objectives situated more in a linear way one after the other. Something like "push your way to the shore!" wich would be a coop mission where we would try to clear a road until we reach a certain point, but we would encounter towns to clear along the way and maybe fall on ambushes and things like that. Vehicule should not be able to respawn and would need repair/fuel /ammo truck. Since the front line would move in a more linear fashion, I think it would make supplies more interesting then mission when the town location constantlly randomly change all around the map.

I think this would make thing a bit more refreshing then just always clearing a random town the same way.

Anyway it is just a suggestion, but I agree that people complaining about the multiplayers missions should state what they think would be more enjoyable to them.

King of the hill missions are really well coded and I can play them fine with my less then awesome rig (see post)

Yup. In general, pure PvP always has awesome performance. No AI = No lag.

a)Either you are checking MP once in a week (because from Monday to Friday there is totally different reality..)

Seriously..

Once..i bought BF2BC2-and i CAN'T remember one time i haven't found a "busy" server list to choose one-anytime on day and night

This we see here..it's not (by-far) satisfactory for a "new" game (as ARMA 3 is).

*added later

Wasteland

King of the Hill

FFT

Altis life (!??oO)

None of those i can play with my Q6600 and the previously commented Hilarious mission scripting AND BI's netcode.

If you believe the majority can afford a NASA i7 then...ok..let me be the only one i ll get frustrated and get my ranting a$$

no need to whine, when you can't afford modern PC for arma 3. Strangely all 100 people on WOG, can afford a pc to play arma 3. So they must have a nasa pc and me to.

With all those sh..ty public servers that only host repetitive missions in which you have to travel for kilometers just to kill some AI and eventually getting killed before even arriving... no wonder why the multiplayer is (slowly) dying. It will eventually get better if better missions will be hosted.

Either way or another (lets talk about the most voted features) are little things your customers believe are essential for them..
Well, my customers can gfts because they haven't paid me a cent! No service for cheapskates! :D
*Lets' get back on topic.
What topic? The claim that MP is dead is itself dead. I'm looking on the website I linked to earlier (it's Saturday afternoon in the US). The top server has 111 people on it. The next 11 servers have 50+. There are 3,024 players online right now (Steam claims 6,000 total players, and that added to non-Steam sales means a very vast majority in SP). There are 20,000 playing Arma 2, but 17,600 of those are playing DayZ, making the two games roughly equal. By comparison, on Steam CODBO2:MW3 has 12,000:9,500, also roughly equal between the new and old versions. Steam isn't photoshopped, nor is swec.se...

I really hope things are the way you guys describing.

Although i still believe mission scripted features in MP must be dealt with utmost care (see actions/interactioons/MHQ's/Trigger zones/UI's/Player Markers ..name it..).

*Not a $hitload of scripts needed to make a large TvT scenario efficient/enjoyable with tons of quality.

In first time in my ARMA-life i see COOP's running better than a plain TvT scenario.

*The other thing still stands is Netcode-but i believe is among immediate plans..

I really loved this game/spend lots of thousands hours last 6-7 years..and i want it to be no1

Edited by GiorgyGR

Seriously..

*added later

Wasteland

King of the Hill

FFT

Altis life (!??oO)

He is not lying, that is what the browser looks like for me as well. Jesus man do you even own arma 3?

Upgrade your computer, the game runs pretty damn well for me!

Arma is and was never a game for public servers. I guess 90% which are playing this series online are playing it with friends and with teamspeak. If you want awesome public gameplay play BF4.

With all those sh..ty public servers that only host repetitive missions in which you have to travel for kilometers just to kill some AI and eventually getting killed before even arriving... no wonder why the multiplayer is (slowly) dying. It will eventually get better if better missions will be hosted.

Nothing wrong with those missions. If you don't like them, then make your own better missions!