Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Damage system sucks - fix needed

Yes but maybe is too complicated. Because Bohemia should introduce the choice about armour-level, and effect in sprint e run with a heavier body armour. Would be nice, but it is improbable.

It might be too hard so we should give up?

This is how i would reconfigure the dmg from assault weapons:

mqjb.jpg

It might be too hard so we should give up?

No. But we don't hope too much. I'd settle for a happy medium. :)

http://imageshack.us/a/img600/7597/mqjb.jpg

So why is the heaviest armoured part of the soldier one of the easiest to kill him on? You can even clearly see the Level III plates on that picture, which puts it up to a minimum of 3 hits from 7.62 NATO to the same spot without being breached.

The damage system is way too unrealistic. If you get shot your movement should be either

Slow leg drag or slow arm drag, instant death, or unable to move and wriggling.

It's complete bullshit how the AI gets shot and literally stands there in the open to return fire. What is this fucking Counter Strike where it's better to kill the enemy first than take cover? BI get your fucking shit together it's fucking infuriating. The game is broken with AI that doesn't fear death for fuck's sake.

Perfect!

I disagree, it's far from perfect. I would call it a compromise. Do you really think you'd die from 5 shots to the hand or foot? Maybe some hours later from blood loss if it is not attended to.

I think you all just need to wait and see where this goes. I am hopeful that from what I have seen of the improved ballistics and penetration modelling that we will see various levels of body armour with appropriate penetrations.

I think many people are frustrated because they consider they are buying a "finished" product, but anyone who has any long term experience of this series should be aware of how the game is continually improved and has never been "finished" when released...but this is another debate for another thread.

Edited by Matt International
Spelling

First day playing ARMA3 and my otherwise great experience was ruined by the ridiculously tough AI. I put four well-placed 6.5mil rounds into him and he turned around and one shot killed me.

:(

http://imageshack.us/a/img600/7597/mqjb.jpg

I don't want someone guessing this. It should be realistic.

---------- Post added at 22:56 ---------- Previous post was at 22:54 ----------

No. But we don't hope too much. I'd settle for a happy medium. :)

We shouldn't let them think they can take the easy way out with a few changes. Look at Dayz, and it's body armor system or VBS's body Armor system. That is what we should be aiming for.

Well I'm happy at least pretty much everyone agree with this so we can expect BiS to fix it sooner or later. Everytime I join a server with my buddy we end up complaining loudly about the lack of damages bullets and grenades deal, especially while the AI is so much more accurate than you and totally unaffected by wounds while you're struggling with your sights swaying all over the place. I found out the other day that even the heavy sniper rifles aren't a guaranted one shot kill, the IA just kept running like not a single fuck was ever given... This has to be the most game breaking thing next to the invisible flames' carnage I've seen so far.

It was pretty satisfying to kill an enemy in A2, they died really easily and so did you. Ifind myself having to reload in CQC after killing a single enemy. Theres the 10 usual misses plus 5 to 7 damn hits to kill someone, and dear god, should you injure him, youre gonna die if you follow him, thanks to the instant headshots AI give.

its really got to be fixed ... last night me and another friend played a night Spec ops mission we used the MX 6.65mm rounds with a silencer on ... it felt like i was shooting a BB gun ... took me a whole mag to eliminate 2 man patrol ... :( ... from 40~50 meters range

I am getting very tired too about those problems and i am personally loosing interest in game...

Think getting worse when you try to create a stealth mission: if you use a silencer you need 4\6 bullets and in the meanwhile the enemy spot you and shoot ruining the mission...

its really got to be fixed ... last night me and another friend played a night Spec ops mission we used the MX 6.65mm rounds with a silencer on ... it felt like i was shooting a BB gun ... took me a whole mag to eliminate 2 man patrol ... :( ... from 40~50 meters range

I know that feel man, stealth missions are almost impossible to do. You simply cant instakill even with a 100% clean headshot...

I am getting very tired too about those problems and i am personally loosing interest in game...

Think getting worse when you try to create a stealth mission: if you use a silencer you need 4\6 bullets and in the meanwhile the enemy spot you and shoot ruining the mission...

That's because silencers are broken. They act in both sound and bullet damage as though you are shooting subsonic rounds.

See here: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=6302

Please, BI, fix this now! I have played this game for a day and I am already frustrated with it. That is not a good thing.

I disagree, it's far from perfect. I would call it a compromise. Do you really think you'd die from 5 shots to the hand or foot? Maybe some hours later from blood loss if it is not attended to.

I think you all just need to wait and see where this goes. I am hopeful that from what I have seen of the improved ballistics and penetration modelling that we will see various levels of body armour with appropriate penetrations.

I think many people are frustrated because they consider they are buying a "finished" product, but anyone who has any long term experience of this series should be aware of how the game is continually improved and has never been "finished" when released...but this is another debate for another thread.

It is good for current damage system. If they are going to change it, then it's not, of course. I have a feeling that nothing is going to change, so I hope they will at least do something like on that picture.

Well I'm happy at least pretty much everyone agree with this so we can expect BiS to fix it sooner or later.
My sides.

This and the AI accuracy.

If i understand correctly most body armor worn by military is only covering the torso area, and just the front right?

Well if i shoot a soldier in the back which alot of times not possible because AI seem to have 360 vision, but it should be 1 shot 1 kill no?

A wounding system would be more appropriate that is specific to what is exposed and not "covered" by some armor, so for example shot in the hand?

weapon gets dropped thats if the hand shot is holding the gun.

Shot in the head (face shot should be instant kill, anything aside the face should be a kill based on the type of round hitting the helmet, so 7.62+ rounds should be a kill i would think.

what about the neck, the back, the legs, shoot them in the legs and they either walk slow, stumble or end up crawling or just going prone, or on their back (yet to see).

As for getting hit in the chest i think based on the round type and im sure this was already mentioned that there should be some sort of knock back, or knockdown:

you guys remember this vid:

where the marine standing next to his humvee gets shot by a SVD sniper rifle, or a psl a 7.62x54mm round, gets knocked down and then gets back up, if bis can get the "body armor"

more like chest plate armor sorted out and add some realistic or a wounding/damage system then i think it will make the game more interesting.

An interesting note, I made a crazy shot the other night, I was aiming at soldier by a fence, I shoot, the bullet hits the 1st guy in the chest and hits the guy behind him who just happens to be walking behind him, shot was from 700m with a KSVK Russian Sniper rifle, its a 12.7x108 mm round, it had np bypassing the armor.

So its the smaller rounds of concern. Last night I was using an SVD and thats a 7.62, it took me 2-3 rounds from some distances at 100-200m to take a guy down, sometimes low belly shots, so this seems accurate to some degree I would think but it seems that the frontal armor is off, for example if I shoot higher chest its a 1-2 shot kill, if i shoot middle, to lower its 2-3 sometimes 4 shots to kill, wasn't actually testing it but just happen to notice how many shots it took.

Just to note those 2 guns i was usign are not vanilla game obviously but in this weapons pack:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21912

Edited by Günter Severloh

This is no longer a beta.

Crap like this should only be put in when 100% finished. To add a whole new gameplay element, post-beta, that's this gameplay killing is crazy.

How many thousands of new players are shelving this game because it's simply not fun right now? (shooting an enemy 4 times with no affect while getting headshot by the same guy 100 yards away is not "fun"). I haven't played in over a month.

This is also why I'm not a big fan of the future setting. Maybe in 2030 body armor is this good. So what? It still makes for a crappy game. War is going to get more automated and frankly more boring as time passes. That's why I say stick with time frames where gameplay is a premium. They had it right when they did CWC in the 80's. Perfect mix of technology and lack of technology respectively to give great and varied gameplay.

Edited by bonchie

Here is another problem. If an enemy goes prone he significantly reduces the area that you can hit. OK so far?

Good, now here is the catch: If you hit his head he will go down after 1, mostly 2 hits. If you hit his shoulder he will take damage as if you had hit him in the chest.

Vests are not very good at protecting the shoulders, IRL the bullet would just go through and may outright kill him. Same for hits from the side.

We need a system that makes sure that only those areas covered by the vest are protected by it, not the whole torso.

Good points Tonic, i agree, if there is just a vest that the enemy wears then we can only assume that only certain areas are protected.

Do we have any information/pictures or screenshots on what each faction wears and can show us what it covers?

Bonchie is correct. I find it worrying that the Devs are still working on weapon damage at this late stage. This "key" factor should have been sorted out ages ago. It's so important that the weapons feels real, powerful, when you shoot an enemy he should drop, wriggle and be finished off with a second round to the back of his head. At the moment the guns are unpredictable. Where's the issue with the damaging model, why is it taking this long to sort out.

First day playing ARMA3 and my otherwise great experience was ruined by the ridiculously tough AI. I put four well-placed 6.5mil rounds into him and he turned around and one shot killed me.

:(

If he has armor, you most likely did not place the rounds "into" him. So basically when choosing loadout we have to think in terms of penetration power.

Noone is surprised that we need an AT weapon to take out a tank, so we must consider armor in infantry vs. infantry situations as well.

However, what makes it a game balancing problem is that they calmly can shoot back at you and cunningly shoot you in the head (where your own armor does not help). They need some sense of fear of death and some suitable delay from shock or something :)