Sign in to follow this  
shay_gman

COD VS BF4 video - What's does it got to do with ArmA 3?

When Battlefield 2 came out I played it a few times, but soon got fed up with caffeine fuelled snotty nosed kids who spent their lives on the game whooping my ass with hacks, glitches and other exploits. Watching that video reminds me how awfully unrealistic and arcade the game is. Absolutely no team work or planning - just a spray and pray bloodfest. The entire mission plan? To shoot them before they shoot you with your finger on the spacebar just in case.

You MUST not have played Project Reality.

In spite of all its warts, wrinkles and futility.... I enjoy my time playing ArmA II and III more than I enjoy playing BF 3 or 4. For what ArmA lacks in flash and dazzle it makes up for by orders of magnitude in scope and capability.

BF is fun.... ArmA is engaging.

i brought me extra BF2 last week, to try project reality. Tbh. i appritiate the effort, devs put on work, but it looked to me like BF3 for "poor people", who can't afford good rigs to run it. BF3 is just sligthly faster then BF2 pr. And no idea when the graphics became important to me, i couldn't stand bf2 graphics in 2013.

BF3 is just sligthly faster then BF2 pr. And no idea when the graphics became important to me, i couldn't stand bf2 graphics in 2013.
And so it begins :icon_twisted:

I wonder if Arma 4 gets space combat now :)

I would love a realistic space combat shooter, but i doubt it will ever happen. I thought about it, and modding it in ArmA3 would be a retarded amount of work, most of it spend fighting the engine which really wasn't build with this in mind. :p

OFP had a space shuttle mod with 'space' though:

modding it in ArmA3 would be a retarded amount of work, most of it spend fighting the engine which really wasn't build with this in mind. :p
Welcome to Arma and a lot of gameplay ideas, actually.

Welcome to Arma and a lot of gameplay ideas, actually.

I am not new to ArmA modding. ;)

But I am having a hard time thinking of something that would be harder to do than a somewhat realistic space mod, including physics that somewhat make sense, on this engine. I kludged* some hand2hand stuff together in a couple of hours with active blocking, and while it is clear that the engine was not meant to handle this it is at least possible. But space? I wouldnt even know where to start. A fake skybox like the OFP mod, but after that? Maybe if you set the whole thing underwater and remove all the water friction/underwater filters, though i doubt that it possible. I also doubt that setpossing everything constantly would ever be stable enough for anything.

*And before someone gets enthusiastic about it, by kludged i really mean kludged. :)

EDIT: Still, i would love to see it. I am prepared to put out if someone does it properly. :)

Haha, pretty much! Truthbetold I believe that sometimes scripting is less "you can do ANYTHING" and more "smoke and mirrors", which is why I actually liked some dev comments that they weren't including some gameplay elements because they didn't have them implemented in-engine but also specifically that they weren't going to use user-made solutions because those were scripted and therefore unsuitably problematic for their own reasons...

i brought me extra BF2 last week, to try project reality. Tbh. i appritiate the effort, devs put on work, but it looked to me like BF3 for "poor people", who can't afford good rigs to run it. BF3 is just sligthly faster then BF2 pr. And no idea when the graphics became important to me, i couldn't stand bf2 graphics in 2013.

You're fucking with me right? PR is slower than ArmA3 most of the time! That allows for some great downtime between battles to build tension or to have a few humorous moments involving the building system.

Edited by steamtex

You're fucking kidding right? PR is slower than ArmA3 most of the time!

True, it's genuinely much more tactical than what the vast majority of public servers on Arma3 can offer, plus the insane amount of maps and factions it has. Moreover I find it funny NeuroFunker would mention performances while PR runs much slower than BF3 for me, because they actually pushed an obsolete engine to its limits.

Edited by dunedain

True, it's genuinely much more tactical than what the vast majority of public servers on Arma3 can offer, plus the insane amount of maps and factions it has. Moreover I find it funny NeuroFunker would mention performances while PR runs much slower than BF3 for me, because they actually pushed an obsolete engine to its limits.

Yeah, I've been having a lot of fun on it recently just screwing around with some mates on Fallujah.

This would be unironically amazing.

Imagine Arma 20! It would have the entire solar system in real time!

---------- Post added at 00:34 ---------- Previous post was at 00:32 ----------

I am not new to ArmA modding. ;)

But I am having a hard time thinking of something that would be harder to do than a somewhat realistic space mod, including physics that somewhat make sense, on this engine. I kludged* some hand2hand stuff together in a couple of hours with active blocking, and while it is clear that the engine was not meant to handle this it is at least possible. But space? I wouldnt even know where to start. A fake skybox like the OFP mod, but after that? Maybe if you set the whole thing underwater and remove all the water friction/underwater filters, though i doubt that it possible. I also doubt that setpossing everything constantly would ever be stable enough for anything.

*And before someone gets enthusiastic about it, by kludged i really mean kludged. :)

EDIT: Still, i would love to see it. I am prepared to put out if someone does it properly. :)

It would be nice to have the atmosphere properly modeled.

If you didnt post this in this forum i would never watched but i knew it that there will be something nice :) Tumbs up from me for this video :)