Sign in to follow this  
dimitri_harkov

Guerra do Ultramar

Hi Dimitri we are getting close XMas, have you planned a release for that time ?

Let us update with some news and screenies.

Cheers

The first version of Guerra do Ultramar has been released.

Download it from Armaholic.

Many thanks to Foxhound for hosting it, and to the long list of contributors without whom this would not have been possible.

Cheers,

Dimitri.

Excellent news... downloading now. Got to give this a try. Reminds me of the Bush Wars Mod for ArmA (wish someone would port that over to CO).

Great work Dimitri !

Just downloading it now, as I promised, when I have time I will try to port into your beautiful mod some of the missions I made for Bush War Mod years ago.

The terrain you made for the mod reminds me a lot our old good Angola bush terrain, so it not might be too difficult...

I will have only to change factions (SADF to Portugese and SWAPO-Angola to FRELIMO or UNITA, RENAMO etc...) and voices, the story is always the same, some indipendentist guerrilla are stryking and the security forces are stryking back, there are a lot of similar reports between SADF or Rodhesian and Portugese forces about Fire Force/COIN missions in the bush.

I just have read with disappoint on Flypast magazine an article made by a former Rhodesian SAS officer about how the Portugese forces fought the war... Simply ridicolous...

Carry on the great work mate !

Thank you for the kind words, guys.

@GD Mast:

Indeed, BWC has been released for ArmA2 - at least in a beta-stage - a long time ago.

The download link is burried in this thread somewhere: http://z11.invisionfree.com/BushWars/index.php?showtopic=530

Too bad those talented guys seem not to work on it any more.

I guess we could have helped out each other a lot.

@CimaleX:

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it! :)

Cheers,

D.

This looks great!! Thanks for including mission-maker friendly modules as well as ACE/ACRE support :yay:

Any chance of putting this on Six-Updater network?

sorry to say: but there is no ace support... more to the contrary really... but acre is supported.

As for six updater: no idea, I guess that's for Sickboy to decide.

I just noticed that I forgot to mention how to get Alice to work on the island in the manual.

I will put the solution in this thread in the near future.

Cheers,

D.

Sorry my bad... makes sense after checking out the mod.... and it's already on SU network @DIH_Africa2 :)

This is freakin awesome. I know, there is technically no connection but this should be part of CWR2. It kind of has the same feeling.

There need to be SP missions for this.

Congratulations on the release, its a great terrain, thanks for sharing.

Great mod and excellent work Dimitri.

I Hope for a possible update future release, where you should add some custom made FN-FAL rifles as well as Portugese paratroopers with US M1 steel helmet.

Any hope to see an armalite AR for flechas ?

Should also be nice to see a C-47 for paras in FAP colors, and a Willis jeep armed with breda mg.

Apart for these little things that I miss, you did a very nice and complete work, the Gina is simply fantastic !

Well done.

There need to be SP missions for this.

I second this. Really needs to be SP or mini campaign to introduce the MOD.

I second this. Really needs to be SP or mini campaign to introduce the MOD.

I'm too bad at this to create a good mini-campaign or other classic SP missions, but I am working on a highly dynamic and randomized COOP/SP mission with some 'The Wild Geese'-like elements.

Great mod and excellent work Dimitri.

I Hope for a possible update future release, where you should add some custom made FN-FAL rifles as well as Portugese paratroopers with US M1 steel helmet.

Any hope to see an armalite AR for flechas ?

Should also be nice to see a C-47 for paras in FAP colors, and a Willis jeep armed with breda mg.

Apart for these little things that I miss, you did a very nice and complete work, the Gina is simply fantastic !

Well done.

Thanks!

Indeed I try to include most of what you proposed.

-FN-FALs might come soon, now that the ArmA2 samples are available.

-Paratroopers would be nice, maybe I can ask some friendly mod teams for assistance.

-AR-10 would be awesome, but my attempts at creating it myself failed thanks to my virtually none-existing modelling skills.

-I guess I could get hold of a C-47, but I'd prefer a Noratlas (which I could get too, I guess)

-Jeep with Breda MG is rather unlikely, since I have no Breda model. I could mount an MG-42 or HK-21, though.

Thanks for the feedback

&

cheers,

D.

About the FN-FAL series there are some mods (like Vilas' or mine P82 for example) with various examples of the weapon, so you have only to ask.

About the paras, you could only make some soldiers with proper camo pattern fatigues, and the usual M1 helmet (already used by your mod with Opfor soldiers) and some more stuff typical of paratroopers.

Should be nice to find a FAP C-47 (from Invasion-44 Mod ?) as well as the Noratlas (French mod?) while for the AR-10 and Breda mounting for the Willys you should ask to old Ofp Colonial wars their old Mlods, and possibly try to adapt them to modern ArmA2 world.

Last but not least, you could include some more better african civilians (ask to Icebraker for his Duala civvys...) and make two more extra squads for Bluefor units:

SADF of the seventies (a section of regular infantry for example) and Rodhesian of the seventies (a section of Rhodesian rifles or SAS), they cooperated a lot with portugese forces especially when incursions in Rhodesia and Namibia stared from Mocambique and Angola.

I have the basic Mlods of both with proper camo fatigues, they both used FN-FAL and GPMGs, and their mount was the Alouette III, this juts to revitalize a bit the old good friends.

Let me know with PM if you need some help with these issue, and yes, the Willys Jeep with an MG42 or HK21 or M2 would be more tha enough.

With all the talk about FALs, what about the Bush War Mod FALs? Just port them over.

I added a FAL yesterday. It's just the one from OA with added rifle grenade capability.

Given it's limited use by the mod's main factions, thats good enough I think. Maybe I'll add a scoped version, though.

I don't intend to expand the mod in the direction of the old BWC mod. GDU is just a one-man team after all.

What's certainly very high on my list is to improve the civilians and add some civilian cars/trucks/boats.

I'll also look into re-creating the pára-quedistas.

Thanks for your input guys!

Cheers,

D.

@Dimitri

I'm interested in doing some missions or maybe a mini Campaign for this MOD, so I have to do some research and find out who were the good guys and who were the bad guys.

I placed some Blufor and Opfor units down and noticed that they seem to have the same brown/red berets and in some cases, same uniforms.

Perhaps I need to take a closer look.

Also, the Blufor and Independents are the same units, correct?

Could you recommend a famous battle that took place? If you can give me a name, I'll look it up and research it.

Also, how about Portuguese voices? Have you reached out to the community for help on this?

There is also some Actors guilds on the internet who do stuff for free.

I really need those voices. I played around in editor and noticed not even English is being used.

I'm interested in doing some missions or maybe a mini Campaign for this MOD, so I have to do some research and find out who were the good guys and who were the bad guys.

In this conflict it's harder than in any other to say who's the 'good' or 'bad'. All sides commited countless atrocities. The liberation movements fought for the liberty of their respective countries, Portugal for unity of their empire and (as they saw it) for the security and wellfare of their citizens (after some point they threated all races equal, which was quite ground-breaking back then, but alas - Portugal still had a brutal totalitarian regime at the time).

I'd say that's a quite good situation for mission makers - just choose for yourself who are the good guys :)

As for uniforms: The 5 liberation movements (MPLA, FNLA, UNITA, FRELIMO, PAIGC) all use a wild collection of different uniforms (or civilian clothing), including captured Portuguese ones, and different headgear, including brown berets as the Portuguese. In addition, they all wear arm badges in the colors of their respective movements so you can tell them apart (and yes, that's the only visual difference between the 6 guerilla sets). These 5 factions are on 3 different sides, depending more or less on their alignment/politics.

In addition, there are 'generic' guerillas without arm badges on the east side, as well as generic 'regular' african soldiers.

The Portuguese Forces are on the 'independent' side, as they somewhat sat 'between' the chairs of eastern and western block.

Plus: there is a small pool of mercenaries on all sides.

As for battles:

There is this one, for example.

That site is a great one on that subject in general.

See the timeline, for example.

Or an overview of different combat missions in the PCW.

Voices: Thanks to gammadust (active on the BIS forums) and kiki, I have an excellent set of both metropolitan and native ambient voices.

See the supplied manual on how to use them. I will certainly make this a bit more user-friendly in the future.

In short the scripts generate ambient voices for groups that are in 'Aware' or 'Combat' mode.

I'm looking forward to your missions, if I didn't scare you off :)

Cheers,

Dimitri

Edited by Dimitri_Harkov

OK, so this part here:

-starts ambient voices for all groups (even to those created later on)

-not for player-led groups

-if you want to activate the ambient voices for a group of your liking manually, use this script line:

[_x] execVM "\DIH\DIH_a2_ambient_voices\DIH_ambientVoice.sqf";

where you should replace _x with your group. e.g.:

[group player] execVM "\DIH\DIH_a2_ambient_voices\DIH_ambientVoice.sqf";

I can use this for SP mission, correct?

I need to GROUP my team first?

Then, put this in the init box of the PLAYER only?

[group player] execVM "\DIH\DIH_a2_ambient_voices\DIH_ambientVoice.sqf";

This will get me Portuguese voices for other groups/teams and bad guys, but not my team, correct?

Anyway, in your next update, you can get this going automatically like with VME_PLA MOD (Mandarin) and UNSUNG MOD (Vietnamese)?

Sure would be nice if you could do that.

Yes, you can use the ambient voices both in SP and MP.

First, copy the DIH_av_trigger.sqf file from the mod's documentation folder to your mission folder.

Then run this script from any init box.

e.g.:

_hndl = [] execVM "DIH_av_trigger.sqf";

This will turn on ambient voices for all AI-led groups that have at least 2 members.

If you want to have that feature for a player-led group as well,

enter this into the player's init box:

_hndl = [group player] execVM "\DIH\DIH_a2_ambient_voices\DIH_ambientVoice.sqf"

I will not make this an automatic feature as I wouldn't like player led groups to use ambient voices.

But I will create two editor modules that you can just put on the map without further fuzz.

Cheers,

Dimitri

Yes, you can use the ambient voices both in SP and MP.

First, copy the DIH_av_trigger.sqf file from the mod's documentation folder to your mission folder.

Then run this script from any init box.

e.g.:

_hndl = [] execVM "DIH_av_trigger.sqf";

This will turn on ambient voices for all AI-led groups that have at least 2 members.

If you want to have that feature for a player-led group as well,

enter this into the player's init box:

_hndl = [group player] execVM "\DIH\DIH_a2_ambient_voices\DIH_ambientVoice.sqf"

I will not make this an automatic feature as I wouldn't like player led groups to use ambient voices.

But I will create two editor modules that you can just put on the map without further fuzz.

Cheers,

Dimitri

OK, those Modules sound like a good idea.

I'm now planning a 3 or 4 mini campaign around 1970/1971: Operation Trident.

Will try to get both sides of conflict as PLAYER and not always Blufor.

People here who know my missions know I like to play the "bad guy", but seems after reading up on this, both sides were bad guys with all the atrocities committed,

but I can't get into politics on this thread..................

Lastly, which helo should I use for transporting troops and which Jet can fire Napalm?

Thanks for your help on this.

BTW, the map is really good. I think its New Guinea, correct?