Sign in to follow this  
Stiltman

(STI) A-10 for ARMA 3

I know Arma 2 had this limitation too, and I believe they got around it by just creating more bullets per bullet shot. That's 5 times more pullet PER bullet.

I know Arma 2 had this limitation too, and I believe they got around it by just creating more bullets per bullet shot. That's 5 times more pullet PER bullet.

Yea that would be fine, too. Any workaround would be welcome imho.

Now we are talking ^^ cant wait to bring death and destruction over Alits ;)

If you do decide to add functioning screens in the cockpit, the easiest one to do would probably be a PIP screen similar to the Blackfoot, and have an option that will allow the targeting pod (maybe you can create a fake nose cannon, as if it were a Blackfoot turret) to lock onto and follow a specific area or target from the A10. Only thing that might be difficult would be to get the screen to zoom in and out; I've noticed that the PIPs used in the Blackfoot and Hunter vehicles do not zoom, even if the gunner is inside of the camera view and is zoomed. Here's two pictures of the TGP screen in use:

TGP.jpgTGP is locked onto a specific area/coordinate

air_549a_009.jpgTGP is locked on a vehicle

Most of the other screens would probably be even harder to implement. Especially since you'd have to make it so the pilot can cycle through the various screens. But you might be able to create some sort of nav screen/GPS in the screen like this:

MarkCDone.jpg

If you can get the Altis/Stratis map textures to work on the screen and have it function like a GPS (don't need full nav screen features) it 'should' work. I know it's possible to do, since that guy who made the AH64D Apache Longbow managed to get something like this to work in his Apache mod; although it's a lot more complex.

PS: Sorry if the images are too big, I'll bump them down to just links if they are.

yessss a decent CAS aircraft, next to the F-18 and su-35 by John Spartan and Soul this is the best aircraft to have in arma 3 :)

yessss a decent CAS aircraft, next to the F-18 and su-35 by John Spartan and Soul this is the best aircraft to have in arma 3 :)

There is a SU-35? Do you have a link for me? :)

I CANNOT WAIT TO FLY THIS BABY OVER ALTIIISSSS!!!!!!!

Thanks for ur work!

Ok so been a while now with no updates so thought id fill you in how its progressing.

Last week we have been working on textures, making it possible to personalize a bit

with "hiddentextures" for things like tail markings, letters, pilot name and so on.

also making all the garbled texts on the texture actually readable :)

we will also supply templates for these files so you dont have to guess to much where everything goes,

also we tried to keep the size down on the files so they can be included in the missions without making it super big.

i have also been working on getting stuff to work like lights, collision lights and formation lights (thanks to John_Spartan & Saul for sharing files with me)

overall its starting to look and feel nice.

and have an option that will allow the targeting pod

I will probably look at whats possible with a TGP once we look into the A10C or A+, since this is the A it dont support the TGP only the AGM camera (which is having a working PiP atm but still heavy wip).

im not really looking to go all the "full realism" way like the "Apache by Nodunit & Franze", but some functionality and features are planned making it not super script heavy and working good for MP games.

Anyway here are some images of progress, well i guess they are more made to look nice than to show in detail all the stuff but still.... progress.... :)

For fullsize images check here http://goo.gl/gHZD5R

a10morning.jpg

a10night2.jpg

a10night.jpg

c473e55b-1c89-4aaa-8eea-6a2683b85d29.jpg

2013-11-24_00004.jpg

Edited by Stiltman

Really nice looking, mates!

Sounds for flying and engine are mostly done, just some tweaking needed. Will make a video, upload it and publish it later on here ;)

LJ

Great update!

One last request/suggestion would be to make Feint's 'Head Range Plus' TrackIR mod compatible with the A10s, similar to how it is compatible with the Buzzard now.

Very nice stuff, also incredibly glad that the massive payload an a-10 can carry is actually going to happen ingame now, the textures are pretty dman amazing too.

really hoping you guys manage to get rid of the tab-lock mavericks and make the mavericks abit more realistic (with the auto lock-on+quick firing)

Although it might just me not looking at it to well, but is the Gau-8 barrel poking out on the left side of the nose? cause AFAIK the front wheel is actually build to the right side of the plane so that the gau-8 barrel can poke out straigth from the center of the aircraft.

all in all though, i'm really looking forward to this arma 3 masterwork.

Keep up the good work.

Any idea on how long until it's ready to use/test? Bi really dropped the ball with A3. It's as if someone stole all their content before release and they just gave us what was left. Mixed vehicles, and equipment. Missing things like this. The content seems like it's many months or even a year away from being ready. In fact I think that is why they ended up splitting up the campaign. Not cause they wanted to or as if they ever intended it to be that way. I mean they didn't even give us the aircraft from the pictures. They could have gotten those and other things like the A-10 in game just to fill it. So this A-10 is not just wanted it's needed. I'm glad you are putting the work into this. I can't wait to use it. Keep up the good work.

Really nice looking, mates!

Sounds for flying and engine are mostly done, just some tweaking needed. Will make a video, upload it and publish it later on here ;)

LJ

Major awesome! :D Looking much forward to this.

Although it might just me not looking at it to well, but is the Gau-8 barrel poking out on the left side of the nose? cause AFAIK the front wheel is actually build to the right side of the plane so that the gau-8 barrel can poke out straigth from the center of the aircraft.

You're confusing this a bit. The whole rotating part is positioned slightly off center because the barrels shoots from a ~9 o'clock position, which is in the airplanes center.

Any idea on how long until it's ready to use/test? Bi really dropped the ball with A3. It's as if someone stole all their content before release and they just gave us what was left. Mixed vehicles, and equipment. Missing things like this. The content seems like it's many months or even a year away from being ready. In fact I think that is why they ended up splitting up the campaign. Not cause they wanted to or as if they ever intended it to be that way. I mean they didn't even give us the aircraft from the pictures. They could have gotten those and other things like the A-10 in game just to fill it. So this A-10 is not just wanted it's needed. I'm glad you are putting the work into this. I can't wait to use it. Keep up the good work.

It is very usable in it's current state already, but we are still working on textures, scripts, interior and various tweaks, while also awaiting permission from BI to use some assets from the A2-version that came with supershaders, and of course awesome fresh sounds from LJ. There will not be a half-assed release, so until all these pieces are fit together the answer will remain "when it's done".

As for A3 content I don't think you should be too harsh on BI. Just as with this little project, a pretty screenshot doesn't mean it is even nearly done for public release. I'm sure they had good reasons to redact some things from their initial release, not just to be trolling. And the campaign was more or less completely reworked after the prison-incident in greece last year, so they simply needed more time to finish it. I think anyone would choose to have these free DLC Episodes rather than another half year delay on the complete game that can be used for so much more than playing the official campaign. Please keep that kind of talk out of this thread anyway.

I'll add that people's expectations differ as to what they'd be happy with as far as far as how the A-10 is represented, so in effect any decision will result in someone being unhappy, whether it's because they find it not much better than the Arma 2 version of the A-10 for whatever reason, or because it took so long, or they find it too buggy or "incomplete" (i.e. because it's not DCS: A-10C Warthog in Arma 3 form), or they don't agree with the modder's of how the A-10 was represented in-game...

I'll add that people's expectations differ as to what they'd be happy with as far as far as how the A-10 is represented, so in effect any decision will result in someone being unhappy, whether it's because they find it not much better than the Arma 2 version of the A-10 for whatever reason, or because it took so long, or they find it too buggy or "incomplete" (i.e. because it's not DCS: A-10C Warthog in Arma 3 form), or they don't agree with the modder's of how the A-10 was represented in-game...

I'm assuming you misinterpreted my previous posts/suggestions for this mod. I know this A10 will not be anything like DCS A10, because it would require years of work; it took the AH-64D Apache Longbow devs about 6 years, didn't it?

When I posted those images on page 4, I was suggesting the A10 mod creator to try to implement a TGP screen or some sort of target acquisition screen (since he hinted in the first post that he may add a functioning screen(s) in the cockpit). I think it'd be doable if you basically add a Blackfoot turret (with the TI gunner feed screen), but maybe disguise the model as a camera or targeting pod, and have the turret lock onto specific targets or areas designated by the pilot. Having other screens would be a lot more trickier, so I doubt they'd get in. But... I'll leave that to the mod author. If he can, awesome! If he can't, it's still really great because it will still be a significant improvement over the ArmA 2 A10. ;)

I'm assuming you misinterpreted my previous posts/suggestions for this mod. I know this A10 will not be anything like DCS A10, because it would require years of work; it took the AH-64D Apache Longbow devs about 6 years, didn't it?
Over three years between two modders; according to Franze in the AH-64D Apache Longbow mod's thread OP, "I had first started on an Apache Longbow for Operation Flashpoint 10 years ago; Nodunit and I made our first combined upgraded release 8 years ago. Now we've finally been able to come back and do what we could only dream of several years ago. While it is far from complete, we made a promise to the ArmA2 community that when ArmA3 was close to going gold, we would release - a little less than 2 weeks from now, ArmA3 will go gold, so here we are." I also distinctly recall predicted mod implementation time as the cited factor by W0lle in declaring that there wouldn't be a CWR3 under him: "We started the Mod after the ARMA 2 release in 2009, in all the years we had great help from skilled and dedicated people; we also received a lot of model donations from very kind supporters and Bohemia Interactive. Nevertheless, we are still not done 4 years later. If we would move to ARMA 3 with the current team the estimated development time would be around 8 years or even more. By then, no one would even remember ARMA 3."
When I posted those images on page 4, I was suggesting the A10 mod creator to try to implement a TGP screen or some sort of target acquisition screen (since he hinted in the first post that he may add a functioning screen(s) in the cockpit). I think it'd be doable if you basically add a Blackfoot turret (with the TI gunner feed screen), but maybe disguise the model as a camera or targeting pod, and have the turret lock onto specific targets or areas designated by the pilot. Having other screens would be a lot more trickier, so I doubt they'd get in. But... I'll leave that to the mod author. If he can, awesome! If he can't, it's still really great because it will still be a significant improvement over the ArmA 2 A10. ;)
The thing here is that from all that I can tell, depicting the basic A-10A (the version depicted in each of BI's games) is a modding path-of-least-resistance... but if authenticity matters, that means that it'll be without targeting pod (TGP) compatibility, while having an authentic "A-10 with targeting pod compatibility" means at least some cockpit remodeling. See, 'authentic TGP compatibility' wouldn't require the A-10C cockpit since there was a preceding upgrade called the A-10A+ which SimHQ described as "a fraction of the A-10C’s capabilities (see below), but at a fraction of the cost and time", but nevertheless at minimum this would require replacing the right-side TV monitor with a MFCD*, and the ability to switch between uncaged Maverick view and TGP views (both CCD TV and FLIR) on the MFCD. But then bringing in a MFCD at all places the A-10A+ at risk of feature creep, as there may be a temptation to stack more and more "pages of functionality" onto it. :p Ditto for making the buttons function when clicked so that one can go directly to a MFCD page instead of having to cycle through a linear, uni-directional list... for that, I suggested Enricksolt's Advanced Cockpit Interaction (ACI) as a UI solution, with each page being its own action menu option and thus with a corresponding clickable GUI button/icon.

For an example compare/contrast of the A-10A+ with the A-10C, the A-10A+ had the LITENING TGP on the hardpoints used by the Maverick, meaning that an A-10A+ could only carry Mavericks on the other wing hardpoint from the one carrying the TGP; the A-10C both moved the TGP to the next-to-outermost hardpoints to allow the use of Mavericks on both wings simultaneously again, and the A-10C had support for sending its LITENING pod's video feed wirelessly to receivers on the ground... not sure whether the LITENING supported 'green' NV (i.e. the way a vehicle turret may have VIS, NV, TI BHOT and TI WHOT).

* Though for even more -- though purely cosmetic -- authenticity the control stick was F-16 style instead of F-4 style, and the right throttle F-15E style.