Sign in to follow this  
Stiltman

(STI) A-10 for ARMA 3

0eae184f-3fa3-4e3e-9078-00ef5b8c31b6.jpg

So, here goes.

Yes im working on porting the A-10 from the A1 sample models so dont expect a miracle!

it does not look to bad to be honest, specially with the arma 3 engine effects, stickmovement and stuff like that.

And since i havnt seen any A-10 other than AllinArma i really wanted one also A-10 = Awesome!

and as always im not a modeler nor texturer so dont request any changes like that since i can not make it anyway.

Now when thats off the table, id say it is going pretty good, it is not finished yet so dont expect any releases today, or tomorrow or next week ill say like most its done when its done. ;)

but in the end im hoping it will be in line with the F/A 18 by John_Spartan & Saul and im trying to coop as much as i can in regards to getting things similar setup like weapon proxies and all that.

also hopefully there might be a full rearming UI for the A10 to as there is with the F18 at least thats the plan.

I am also hoping to be able to bring some future systems to it and PiP screens where possible.

But what i would be interested in would be some info on "default" loadouts, whats a typical mission loadout, mission roles and loadouts etc

what missiles and bombs can it load is there diffrent loadouts available on A and C versions.

also differences between A and C models if there are more than just the cockpit.

ive been googling around alot last week trying to find info on stuff there but if there are people out there with more knowledge than me then please let me know.

From what i gather of the cockpit of the sample model this is the A-10A with the old style interior and not the big MFDs like the C version,

i would like to make a C version to if i can find an experienced modeler that would be willing to remodel the interior a bit and also

to maybe upgrade the A cockpit with a bit more detail and or more things in future.

c530a700-c15f-48f8-8828-2ae1c8909e2a.jpg

f3232af0-cb2b-45a0-8905-d7fe6150198d.jpg

Anyways, just thought i would share some info on what ive been working on this week.

Regards

Stiltman

Edited by Stiltman

I love you, that is all

---------- Post added at 00:29 ---------- Previous post was at 00:22 ----------

Seriously though, it looks great I can't wait to fly it.

Any chance of us getting a SU-25? I need my ground attack planes

---------- Post added at 00:34 ---------- Previous post was at 00:29 ----------

I would love to see a slightly more advanced cockpit and I would absolutely LOVE to see a pip screen somewhere although I'm not sure what the functionality would be, hopefully either something with the gun or bombs

If you can manage to make it SOUND like a true pimp A10, like this:

I'd be willing to become your slave.

Will you be able to make the jet a 2-seater

but in the end im hoping it will be in line with the F/A 18 by John_Spartan & Saul and im trying to coop as much as i can in regards to getting things similar setup like weapon proxies and all that.

also hopefully there might be a full rearming UI for the A10 to as there is with the F18 at least thats the plan.

I am also hoping to be able to bring some future systems to it and PiP screens where possible.

But what i would be interested in would be some info on "default" loadouts, whats a typical mission loadout, mission roles and loadouts etc

what missiles and bombs can it load is there diffrent loadouts available on A and C versions.

also differences between A and C models if there are more than just the cockpit.

ive been googling around alot last week trying to find info on stuff there but if there are people out there with more knowledge than me then please let me know.

I'll suggest that in lieu of a rearming UI, if you're going to use John_Spartan & Saul's F/A-18E/F as a role model for your own A-10 mod development, why not utilize a "standard" loadout for now? If you're willing to use the Arma 3 air-to-ground weapons as placeholders, then a "basic" loadout of four Skalpel ATGMs, two ASRAAMs, two pods' worth of Skyfires, and two GBU-12s (note: buddy lase required) would be generally representative -- or even be renamed versions -- of what an A-10 can carry in real life if going one-weapon-per-hardpoint for the most part. Heck, going through the Bucket gallery of "A-10 in Arma 3" images, you've already got a loadout modeled!

Re: "two ASRAAMs": A common arrangement that I saw on A-10s pre-2001 would have the outermost hardpoints be occupied by a jamming pod on one wing and two Sidewinders using a dual-rail adapter on the other wing, although in Afghanistan they were both being left off of A-10s and thus those hardpoints would be left empty.

Weapons-wise, the A-10C mainly differs in adding JDAMs and WCMDs (equivalent for cluster bombs) to the loadout possibilities, although it could also carry LITENING family or Sniper targeting pods; here's an example of an A-10C with a LITENING family targeting pod between the Sidewinders and Mavericks on the aircraft's right wing.

If you want a(nother) high-res look at an A-10A cockpit... check out the view from the NMUSAF's A-10A (drag in the direction that you want to turn towards). I will say though that the "green screen" on the right is ripe for you to use PiP/RTT, since that's the TV monitor for the Maverick missiles' camera feed. :D And depending on what Maverick variant, we could be talking thermal view through that display too... an anecdote recounted in Tom Clancy's Fighter Wing and condensed elsewhere had A-10 pilots during Desert Storm powering up a Maverick to use its infrared seeker head as "poor man's" FLIR for night flight!

Edited by Chortles

I recommend reading through this if you want to be realistic with the C variant.

ftp://ftp3.files.eagle.ru/dcs/manuals/DCS-A-10C_Flight_Manual_EN.pdf

also the main difference with the A-10C is the electronics IE: another MFD, TAD (tactical awareness display), DSMS (digital stores managment system) and improved targeting systems such as an IFFCC (Integrated Flight & Fire Control Computers) and an improved FCS(fire control system)

I would love to see a slightly more advanced cockpit and I would absolutely LOVE to see a pip screen somewhere although I'm not sure what the functionality would be, hopefully either something with the gun or bombs

Sadly i dont know how to script well, not my area of expertise but what i would want to have is a PiP display and if possible with some scripting magic

create cameras infront of each active maverick that can be shown in the PiP and that would follow the missile to its target.

wishful thinking atm though.

I'd be willing to become your slave.

i hope that i can make you my slave eventually ;)

i have secured JSRS A10 sounds from the JSRS 1.5 for arma 2 though.

Will you be able to make the jet a 2-seater

Probably not, and if not for a long time :P alot of heavy fuselage modding to make it good i think.

A and C singleseat versions require less work and will most likely be first.

the Arma 3 air-to-ground weapons as placeholders

Thanks to John_Spartan i have gotten their missilebox loadout and will be including the ones that feel apropriate, for now Mk82, GBU12, JDAMS, Mavs and sidewinders

altough the A dont seem to be equipped for JDAMs i feel they could atleast be in there, its a game so everyone can do how they like anyway :P

also im keeping all their values for damage etc so the two addons weapons will be identical.

I recommend reading through this if you want to be realistic with the C variant.

ftp://ftp3.files.eagle.ru/dcs/manuals/DCS-A-10C_Flight_Manual_EN.pdf

That was some manual, skimmed through 3rd of it and its alot of stuff, probably not possible to make the arma version that much sim

but its good information and good images and info that show what each button do.

I'd suggest you ask Lord Jarhead about some of his Arma 2 A-10 sounds. Trust me, the A-10 depends heavily on its flyby and Gau-8 sound.

NOW we are talking!

Looking forward to bring hell on Altis.

Reporting for duty.

PM sent. I don't know much about modding. I will learn! I do know a bit about the A-10C.

I will help you create this masterpiece!

I am now your B!@#$

Edited by stevos758

Hey Stiltman,

later on, would you send me your current ingame WIP? Let me have it ingame and I'll advance the sounds a bit further, engine and weapon systems.

I mean, if you're interested in that, you can also just go along with the old A2 JSRS sounds ;)

LJ

I didn't like the GAU-8 sound used in the ArmA 2 JSRS, to be honest. The rest of the sounds for it were nice, but the cannon sounded like a clogged vacuum. :D

Just reference that video I posted earlier, and it will be perfect. :o

Hey Stiltman,

later on, would you send me your current ingame WIP? Let me have it ingame and I'll advance the sounds a bit further, engine and weapon systems.

I mean, if you're interested in that, you can also just go along with the old A2 JSRS sounds ;)

LJ

I like the sound of this! Hahahahahhaha get it?

Sadly i dont know how to script well, not my area of expertise but what i would want to have is a PiP display and if possible with some scripting magic

create cameras infront of each active maverick that can be shown in the PiP and that would follow the missile to its target.

wishful thinking atm though.

Why not consult with a scripter to get it working? As it stands, we've already got "aimable" PiP views in vanilla for turret gunners and SFP's HSwMS Norrköping has a "missile-following" camera option when launching its RBS-15 ("RB 15") anti-ship/land attack missiles; I'd suggest that it only appear when the pilot selects the Mavericks as the current weapon.

If you ever decide to render up an A-10A+ (as described by SimHQ, "a fraction of the A-10C’s capabilities (see below), but at a fraction of the cost and time", possibly aka the "Suite 2 A-10A upgrade" mentioned in the DCS A-10C manual), you'd be replacing the TV monitor (TVM) with a MFD (and replacing the control stick to look F-16 style) but gain benefits like the LITENING family targeting pods (TGP) in loadouts -- and thus the ability to switch between Maverick and TGP views through the same PiP/RTT display -- and five-closest-equipped-friendlies-detection when going "danger close" (not dependent on the TGP).

For comparison, an A-10A+ gets the above and a laser designator in the TGP so that it no longer needs a buddy lase for the laser-guided weapons when a targeting pod is installed... while the A-10C can transmit the pod's view to a cTab or WarPad-equipped player on the ground. ;) For example, "operational testing of the Litening II targeting pod on an A-10 downlinking a freeze-frame image of the target it is looking at to the ROVER, so the ground control team can be certain that the pilot is going to attack the right target."

Thanks to John_Spartan i have gotten their missilebox loadout and will be including the ones that feel apropriate, for now Mk82, GBU12, JDAMS, Mavs and sidewinders

altough the A dont seem to be equipped for JDAMs i feel they could atleast be in there, its a game so everyone can do how they like anyway :P

also im keeping all their values for damage etc so the two addons weapons will be identical.

For authenticity's sake, the JDAMs and similarly-equipped cluster bombs (WCMDs) would be exclusive to the A-10C, but everything else here is compatible with the A-10A, and as said before you can get an A-10A+ to get a targeting pod without having to .

As far as the A-10C, if you feel like actually making the MFDs/MFCDs (multifunctional color displays) working in a manner such as most famously/visibly utilized in the RKSL Eurofighter Typhoon or in Franze & NodUnit's AH-64D Longbow, I'd suggest sticking to the TAD (here too) and DSMS (here too) that K_Evers mentioned, plus the targeting pod (visible plus both black-hot and white-hot thermal) and Maverick views.

Note: As the DCS A-10C manual noted, OA-10s are just redesignated A-10s doing airborne forward air control with a different loadout; the aircraft itself is unmodified and still has the GAU-8/A, and the USAF Air Combat Command fact sheet uses both designations together; literally getting an OA-10 in-game is as simple as adding appropriate stores to the A-10 that you're already showing off.

Edited by Chortles

No such thing as a two seater A-10. Secondly, if there were to be anyone to talk to about sounds for mods like this, i would highly recommend Real Sound (Or AKA, @RS). They record real sounds, master them in miracle ways, and implement them in game with advanced scripting and what not. I've seen some of their sound re-do's on youtube.

Although they use other add ons for testing when the certain sound sequences take place, the sound is a separate download from the addon, like Speed of Sound or JSRS, so to get the aircraft, you have to get them, and download the sound mod separate. That being said, maybe if you consult with them, they may be able to give you that sweet sweet, undeniable sound of some serious, and very realistic CAS, that could really make your enemy dig their own graves after a strafing run.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

Hi again. I've uploaded a link to some gatling gun sounds for the A-10. ;)

I also sorted the gun sounds out (like the start, center and end sounds)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/aa6brgdrs77drde/weapons.zip

Cheers!

Ranwer

BTW: if you want the full audio track of the gun sounds, here: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/sud9787k6sw5atf/A-10_Gatling_gun.mp3

(but it requires an audio cutter, if you have one ;) )

Edited by Ranwer

Bluntly speaking, Stiltman, try to figure out the original source of the above ZIP/MP3 file(s) before you use 'em, or else use other audio files...

No such thing as a two seater A-10.
Technically untrue. The A-10B is a two seater. The reality is that only one was built and it resides in a museum.

YES! I was so waiting for you good people to bring that beast into Arma 3!

And we even got LordJarhead sounds :D

Can't wait to try out the first version!

Please try to get the rate of fire to the max. I know it's impossible to simulate the real rof because of the engine limits, but please try to max it out. Because e.g. the Buzzard cannon is embarrasing and useless because of it's unrealistic low rof in the game.

Or maybe somebody is able to create any kind of workaround? (like having a second simulated gatling exactly where the first is - of course invisible and without sound all that, just to increase the output of rounds to the real life parameters? no idea if this is possible in any way ;) )

As you most likely know the rof is 4200 rounds per minute or 70 rounds per second.