Sign in to follow this  
UltimateBawb

Cannon Sounds

Now I know Arma's never been the best in the sound department, but has anyone even listened to the AA and aircraft cannon sounds? They're literally just pops; pistols make louder sounds than them. Just adding the APC cannon sound to them would be perfectly amazing, why can't that be done?

The AA sounds are the kind of thing I think must be a placeholder, because you can't make a commitment to improving the audio in your game and then make your AA cannon sound the way it does and think it's okay.

are some
firing. I'm not one of these people who thinks Youtube sound == real life sound, but you can tell they're pretty freaking loud and violent compared to the weak, tinny AA in Arma 3.

In ArmA 3 they sound like "tic tic tic tic tic". And while the cannons fire at a combined 1100 rpm, the sound is played at about 470 rpm, making it sound even less impressive.

I made an issue on the Feedback Tracker the other day.

What everyones thought on the .45 acp and rookie sound? I find it just downright ...funny.

On the other hand I quite like the lynx and the new opfor marksman rifle ( dragunov? ). Although the dragunov or whatever its called would suit the .45 acp bit more as I like it's punchy sound.

Easir to list the good sounds of A3 because in overall it is all garbage. Sorry but it is true.

Easir to list the good sounds of A3 because in overall it is all garbage. Sorry but it is true.

And only near deaf people would say otherwise

What everyones thought on the .45 acp and rookie sound? I find it just downright ...funny.

The Rook has always sounded weak, and for a while there it was exactly the same as the P07, then they changed it slightly and it sounded better. Both the P07 and Rook are still far too weak though. The ACP2 is terrible. It sounded OK when it was first introduced, albeit still a little weak, but then they changed it and now it sounds like someone coughing. Really dissatisfying. The Zubr is ok. The Four-Five is a little weird but not too bad.

On the other hand I quite like the lynx and the new opfor marksman rifle ( dragunov? ). Although the dragunov or whatever its called would suit the .45 acp bit more as I like it's punchy sound.

My thoughts exactly on the Rahim. At first I thought it was a great sound, but then I realised it's not really as punchy as other rifles, and would be better suited to a pistol (it's still a pretty cool sound though even if it sounds a little weak for a 7.62). The .45 was my thought as well. Basically I think all the weapon sounds need to have their punch factor moved up a notch.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

My thoughts exactly on the Rahim. At first I thought it was a great sound, but then I realised it's not really as punchy as other rifles, and would be better suited to a pistol (it's still a pretty cool sound though even if it sounds a little weak for a 7.62). The .45 was my thought as well. Basically I think all the weapon sounds need to have their punch factor moved up a notch.

I'm familiar with the sound libraries BI is using, and I think your hearing is pretty good because the Rahim's sound is indeed an M1911. :)

Edited by tpM

The OPs original point that cannons are weak sounding is absolutey true. Watching planes being downed by AA tanks looks spectacular but sounds quite similar to an old BB gun I had as a kid. BIS make them sound as fearful as they look plz :-)

That goes for aircraft cannons, chopper cannons and APC cannons too.

The OPs original point that cannons are weak sounding is absolutey true. Watching planes being downed by AA tanks looks spectacular but sounds quite similar to an old BB gun I had as a kid. BIS make them sound as fearful as they look plz :-)

That goes for aircraft cannons, chopper cannons and APC cannons too.

I'd honestly say that the APC cannons sound fine enough; they have a powerful, deep effect. I don't know why BIS didn't make this default for all cannons (20mm +).

I'd honestly say that the APC cannons sound fine enough; they have a powerful, deep effect. I don't know why BIS didn't make this default for all cannons (20mm +).

I modded the 35mm AA guns to use the regular 30mm cannon sound, here's the result:

Cpt4wvUe8Bo

The default 30mm sound is much better (punchier, louder, impressive) than default 35mm sound... which is very strange, because 35mm is almost twice as powerful! More propellant powder = louder sound, no?

The sound should seem faster though. Those guns are firing at a combined 1,100 rpm!

The sound should seem faster though. Those guns are firing at a combined 1,100 rpm!

It's definitely improvement from the stock sound. IMO it should sound little more tube-ey as the what I am hearing is .50 cartridge base sound. Would be interesting to hear it twice as fast, as you said :)

Rather then guessing, why not record real life similar weapons?

Excellent idea, how come no one thought of that before! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if the AAA cannon sounds as well as few others were placeholders, there's damn good sounds in the game, and then there's those sounds, mostly the big guns and explosions that is.

Yea. but when are they going to finally replace those placeholders?

I've set up a ticket during the beta and posted in the devs thread I think two times.

Nobody seemed to care. There is no improvement at all since when I joined beta regarding sounds, no dev replied to any of the sound issues and there are no announcements for any updates at all. I've more or less gave up.

Atm I'm using the Speed of Sound mod. Whole new gaming experience, I just don't like the gunsounds of SoS and there seem to be a few bugs. JSRS sound mod is nearly finnished afaik and the author is a sound-genius and perfectionist. That mod will probably be fkn awesome - and I hope it will spread around and also be used on many servers.

My Top 10 sound fails in Arma 3:

10. 6,5mm APC/Tank LMG

9. Vehicle crashing/bumping sounds

8. Vehicle engine/driving sounds

7. Whistling, impacting, sonic cracks of nearby projectiles

6. Small caliber Gatlings

5. Explosions

4. The way and distance far-away effects are audible

3. Zafir machinegun

2. Chopper/Jet Autocannons/Gatlings

1. 35mm AA Autocannon

My Top 10 sound fails in Arma 3:

10. 6,5mm APC/Tank LMG

9. Vehicle crashing/bumping sounds

8. Vehicle engine/driving sounds

7. Whistling, impacting, sonic cracks of nearby projectiles

6. Small caliber Gatlings

5. Explosions

4. The way and distance far-away effects are audible

3. Zafir machinegun

2. Chopper/Jet Autocannons/Gatlings

1. 35mm AA Autocannon

You forgot the vehicle sounds (e.g. Strider). My character breathes louder then this makes noise during full speed... And it sounds like a

, not attached to anything (no turbo, no gearbox, no airconditioning/cooling, ...)

It's horrible. Even Arma 2 vehicle sounds where better in this regard. Against the Arma 2 BMP all the vehicles in Arma 3 sound like a wet fart

Edited by Fennek

Another problem is inside sounds. BI$ thinks that sounds in a vehicle are muffled. This clearly shows that they have never ever seen any military vehicles inside. In reality, (at least in soviet built vehicles), the roar of the engine is deafening, to an extent that I think you wouldnt hear bullet hits on the armor plate in front of you. And to stay on topic, this is also true for weapon sounds. In all BI$ games, you hear the same sound as outside, but its muffled and quieter. In reality, you hear mostly the metallic sounds of the recoil, which is also very loud.

Still an issue, still horrendous. A-164 is a perfect implementation of good sounds, yet BIS still can't get it right with ANYTHING else.

Still an issue, still horrendous

Agreed it is obnoxious ( 3.14159265359 )

A-164 is a perfect implementation of good sounds, yet BIS still can't get it right with ANYTHING else.

Can you elaborate on that? Maybe you mean something else but there simply isn't a better example of utterly sad sound samples than the A 164 30mm.

If the golden poo award was to be picked on the most atrocious sound samples in game this plane would win it 3 times right away

The A10 30mm is a drastic improvement over earlier attempts at the weapon. The AA cannon still gets my vote for worst sound.

Though I have to add that the ACP sound has gotten even worse since I criticized it earlier in this thread. It doesn't even really sound like a gun anymore.