Sign in to follow this  
Proctoron

[WIP] Terrain - Stjordal

Since January 2013 i have been working on this project of making a terrain based on my hometown Stjørdal in Norway.

It started first and foremost from a childhood dream of playing on a terrain from home, and secondly it used to have a air force recruit school as well as a flight school and now it is a base for the home guard. In addition there is several places around with american millitary gear stocked, though reduced since the cold war.

Alongside making this terrain i have a friend who is a great programmer who is making a multiplayer mission we call "Cold Response" (name based on long known multinational millitary exercises in the country during winter)

Another friend is testing it and giving me comments and ideas, it is good to have someone from the outside telling you what is wrong with your work, hehe, well at times it is at least. :-)

World Tools are used for the majority of the forests, and Road Painter 2 by Homer Johnston for the roads, buildings are from ARMA, Beton, Apilon and Mondkalb, and the training cessna that the school used to fly around in all day over my head are made by Gnat.

A special thank you to all of those above for providing great content for ARMA for us terrain makers to play with.

As you can see in the flyover movie, there is lots and lots of things left to do (the curse of using RL images, i started out with a different background image as reference and later changed it and the roads i already had made did not fit anymore...), but in any case am pretty proud of how far i have gotten until now, and we already have a test server up where were checking things out.

Challenges now is to get the satmap right where i have an insane amount of work to do to make it perfect, and i am still banging my head when it comes to several of the groundtextures to make them seem "right". And not to forget about that runway going on top of a road. I did try out oxygen 2 and managed to make something, but it just takes up too much time right now so i am focusing on other stuff before i have to learn to make objects properly. Oh and those bloody train tracks, i think for now, much of them will be "blown to pieces" lol.

We decided to go for a look of a terrain beaten by the war, since there is no way i can photocopy the exact buildings in this town, we dicided to have several of them bombed to the ground instead. :-P

And my goal is first and foremost to make it "playable", the finesse and details will have to come later, at some stage i certainly have to learn oxygen 2 and modelling properly, maybe starting to make road signs at first is a way to go i think.

Anyway, here is a little video i made, it is by no way up to the standards by some of the amazing terrain makers in here, but for me it is certainly an achievent getting this far, and maybe it will bring hope to other terrain makers or anyone who want to givve it a go out there.

As for when this project is finished?, there is no way telling, i am working on it when i have fun doing it, it goes in cycles, i get and amazing drive and do lots of stuff, then i hit a wall, and i leave it for some time until new ideas and a new drive hits me.

I am hoping for something that is "playable" can be released around summer togheter with the server and the mission and a site to get the files, my friends mission is coming along great and soon it is time to have some more playtesters than my son and daughter :-)

Best Regards

Knut Erik Holte.

Hi there

looking really good. keep up the good work. Looking forward to a first release whenever it's done.

cheers

Yep, agree, very good so far, hope you manage to release at some stage.:)

That looks awesome! Great work. Looking forward to seeing it when it is completed. I was going to mention that it would probably be possible to make the tunnel going under the runway but then I remembered that planes don't handle bridges well. So if you try to go under the runway remember that. Gibraltar has a road that actually goes on the runway.

Great work so far. The area has a very good balance of vegetation, height and open areas that should allow for a varied missions.

Nice looking terrain! Looks great from the air. Hope you finish it.

Wow! Gotta say that im very impressed! Not really a fan of that Wasteland atmosphere you got in the video, but whatever. But seriously! Good luck! Don't abandon this!

Thats a great looking and interesting terrain with lots of diversity, nice work!

Theres lots of water around so hopefully AI can navigate around and use bridges etc :)

Merry Christmas folks.

We now have a test server up and running, there is still a lot of work left on the terrain, but we would like to see how the mission we are building for it currently will work with some people on.

Due to currently having signature key and log in issues we had to re sign them and now all the current needed addons are under the @Stjordal folder until we can sort it out the proper way and get our own Addons in, replacing some of the ones we are currently using.

As for issues with the terrain, yes we know all of them at the moment and are not looking for someone hunting errors, this is mostly to tune our mission for a MP environment.

If you want to have a look, head over to this site.

http://warlords.no-ip.biz/

Best Regards

Knut Erik Holte

Merry Christmas man! Thank You very much for the beta!

Update.

Hello those who are interested.

It has been a while and it has been a lot of work and there has been some breaks but i am still working on this terrain.

It is a tremedous undertaking, but i am doing this at my own pace, and i just had to do major rework on my satmap and mask, as there was just too much stuff you could see from the air that wasnt there, plus i couldnt get the textures to fit with the satmap. So i have well, simplified the whole thing, you probably spend 95% of your time on the ground anyway, so if it looks booring from the air now, i am ok with that.

Its just sooo much work to get the textures right that i just gave up eventually

I love doing what i do, but you need breaks now and then or you go nuts, there is times when you think youre never going to be done, especially with such a big map as this, and this is my first time ever trying something like this as well so stuff does not look amazing, but that has never been my goal.

So here is some new screens of how it looks now, it is 1 year 7 months in the making now and i have no idea how much more it would take, and i am glad i dont have a deadline. phew...

ArmA2OA2014-08-1804-21-47-79.jpg

ArmA2OA2014-08-1804-14-40-21.jpg

ArmA2OA2014-08-1804-14-04-28.jpg

ArmA2OA2014-08-1804-16-02-82.jpg

ArmA2OA2014-08-1804-12-20-47.jpg

ArmA2OA2014-08-1804-10-19-42.jpg

Looking good. I can imagine the work involved, but as you said, your right to do it at your own pace. Good terrains are always worth waiting for, I am looking forward to your release, whenever that may be. :)

Nice to hear this project is still alive. Looking forward to take a trip to sjørdal'n when you are done :)

Do you have any custom buildings for this? Didn't recognize the ones in the last picture.

I wanted to make some buildings and did look into it, but i used a lot of time trying to learn how to do that,i managed to do like a shack .... but decided to leave it for now or i would never finish this terrain if i were going to do both.

Nice to hear this project is still alive. Looking forward to take a trip to sjørdal'n when you are done :)

Do you have any custom buildings for this? Didn't recognize the ones in the last picture.

Aplion buildings, I think.

Early on i saw that if i just used the BI buildings, it didnt look like i was in Norway at all, so to change it up a bit i asked Beton, Aplion and Mondkalb if i could use their amazing models for my terrain so it would look a bit more familiar for those who have been/lived here.