Sign in to follow this  
Dead3ye

Missiles make no sound at all - overall sound design of Arma 3 is bad.

There are many sounds in this game that are simply bad, such as the sound of the 30mm anti-aircraft vehicles firing. But by far the worst is that there is literally NO sound at all for missiles, they pass by completely silent, leaving you wondering where you were killed from. This needs to be fixed since missiles are such a huge part of Arma 3.

missiles should only make sounds while its beeing launched and while the rocket engine is fireing.

once the engine is burnt out. there is nothing left to make sound. and the missile will just glide in the air to its target.

Edited by nuxil

Op doesn't hear one sound, doesn't like another, claims entire sound design is bad. FPDR

If you're on the receiving end of a missile, you're probably dead before you hear it. The missiles do make sounds, just the window of hearing it before impact is very slight.

Go list every other sound that does not appeal to you and bother listing reasons as to why they're bad, maybe then I'll take your claim more serious.

I doubt they would fly dead silente when the motor has burned out, they would still make some sort of noise as they pass through the air.

Edited by JamesSaga

I doubt they would fly dead silente when the motor has burned out, they would still make some sort of noise as they pass through the air.

If you trow a wooden stick in the air, do you hear it once it's airborne? (still going up or when falling)

If you trow a wooden stick in the air, do you hear it once it's airborne? (still going up or when falling)

That is so unfair, to throw a stick and a missile travelling at or near speed of sound...

That is so unfair, to throw a stick and a missile travelling at or near speed of sound...

You can do the same with a homemade rocket, you won't hear it fall normaly.

Also, being at the target, a rocket that travells near the speed of sound with engine burning, will hardly be hearable to you since the soundwaves hardly overtake the object.

Op doesn't hear one sound, doesn't like another, claims entire sound design is bad. FPDR

If you're on the receiving end of a missile, you're probably dead before you hear it. The missiles do make sounds, just the window of hearing it before impact is very slight.

Go list every other sound that does not appeal to you and bother listing reasons as to why they're bad, maybe then I'll take your claim more serious.

We'll, I know a sound engineer who has already complained about how bad the sounds in this game suck. And he's been ignored as usual.

Well I agree incoming missile probably cannot be heard, but I was referring to missile that passes by. You should at least hear the sound of the air being displace aka wind... I think that's already represented ingame right? Maybe that's just the ground AT missile/rockets. Not the one that was fired from helicopter

missiles should only make sounds while its beeing launched and while the rocket engine is fireing.

once the engine is burnt out. there is nothing left to make sound. and the missile will just glide in the air to its target.

You're kidding right? Not every missile is like a cruise missile that has wings to keep it in the air. Most fire until the last second making plenty of noise.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d5d_1368615191

Eh, no. Most do not. Engine burn on the Maverick for example, is about 10 seconds. But yeah, I'm sure the missile makes some sound because of violent air displacement.

EDIT: What?, large apartment buildings in the desert? I know for sure that has to be fake, because Arma is so real, and there's no such structures in the desert map.

Edited by Harry Canyon

We'll, I know a sound engineer who has already complained about how bad the sounds in this game suck. And he's been ignored as usual.

That's great! I look forward to reading his comments. Mind linking so we can stop bothering with this thread?

It depends on what type of rocket or missle is being fired. Some rockets have booster charges which basically is just big enough to kick it out of the tube and a safe enough distance away, then the actual propellant motor starts. (RPG-7 and Javelin) Other rockets or missles burn up the motor completely in the tube. (RPG-29) Since most...if not ALL rockets are fin stabalized in some form or another, they all make noise. However, like it has already been said.. normally, unless it's passing by you normally don't hear it or...it's too late. And sometimes if the fins are bent they might even make a whirrring buzzing noise as was my experience in Iraq.

As for the game - I have already covered this topic pretty in depth in a different depth. The in game rocket noise sounds as if it has just been fired (seemingly next to you) no matter where you are in relation to it, making it extremely difficult to locate.

Here's another example.

And this one is for giggles. (THE TITLE IS WRONG) This is a hellfire missile being called in by 3/6 Marines in Marjah Afghanistan 2010. The video was taken from the tower surveillance cameras, observing the insurgents placing an IED.

If you watch closely... they hear the missle and look up.. realizing they're about to get minced and charred they quickly stand and RUN!.....right into each other. (Three Stooges style.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-s2KdE4-84

You're kidding right? Not every missile is like a cruise missile that has wings to keep it in the air. Most fire until the last second making plenty of noise.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d5d_1368615191

I can't watch the first video because I'm at work but I'd like to point out that on the SECOND video from Syria....it was actually a bombing run not a missle. If you listen closely you can still hear the engine roaring as he flies away.

Edited by Squirrel0311

the only fly over sound , from rockets after the burnout phase, is the cable roll up sound from wire guided missiles like titan or Tow ,hot, milan , eurospike in cable mode.....

Come on, man. Many sounds in the game could use work. Some are simply abysmal. It's not even necessarily the sounds themselves, but the soundscape has been broken since the Alpha. Directional sound, sounds dropping off after a few hundred meters. Even if eveything worked, the engine is still pretty primitive compared to most 'next-gen' games. The state of the audio in this game is not good.

I can't watch the first video because I'm at work but I'd like to point out that on the SECOND video from Syria....it was actually a bombing run not a missle. If you listen closely you can still hear the engine roaring as he flies away.

Actually it was a missile, there are other videos of missiles being used on SAA jets targeting firing positions such as these. There is another video with a different angle of this and you can clearly see the missile fired from the jet but i cannot find it. The title of the video is correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiR93ZHUGM8

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Come on, man. Many sounds in the game could use work. Some are simply abysmal. It's not even necessarily the sounds themselves, but the soundscape has been broken since the Alpha. Directional sound, sounds dropping off after a few hundred meters. Even if eveything worked, the engine is still pretty primitive compared to most 'next-gen' games. The state of the audio in this game is not good.

Correct, i have both surround sound 5.1 speakers, and a Creative Titanium soundcard, along with AKG-K701's using great virtual surround, and the directional audio is completely broken in this game, with horns, engines and other noises coming from all directions. It NEEDS to be fixed. Sound is such an important feature in a game such as this where death is so quick and so much can be at stake. The fact that missiles, tank rounds etc. making literally no noise at all as they fly past your head only makes it worse.

Edited by Dead3ye

kidding ? no.

most missiles only have a few sec of engine burn time. ofc you'll hear the missile if the engine is burning when it hits..

if the engine is burt out and the missile is gliding towards the target" like example a amg65" at 500 km/h you really think you'll heard it?

however i never stated that the sound engine in arma was good, the entire spagetti bole "rv" needs to be fixed imo.

Edited by nuxil

As a gunner in the artillery I can confirm 100% that you CAN hear dumb ordanance travelling through the air. Missles travel a lot faster that 105/155mm artillery pieces and so are bound to be even louder - depends a lot on the size fo the ordnance and the speed at which it is travelling.

You only hear the sound of the object travelling through the air once it is PAST you however, if something was coming at you head on you would not hear it. Simple physics as the air has not yet been displaced.

Actually it was a missile, there are other videos of missiles being used on SAA jets targeting firing positions such as these. There is another video with a different angle of this and you can clearly see the missile fired from the jet but i cannot find it. The title of the video is correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiR93ZHUGM8

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Correct, i have both surround sound 5.1 speakers, and a Creative Titanium soundcard, along with AKG-K701's using great virtual surround, and the directional audio is completely broken in this game, with horns, engines and other noises coming from all directions. It NEEDS to be fixed. Sound is such an important feature in a game such as this where death is so quick and so much can be at stake. The fact that missiles, tank rounds etc. making literally no noise at all as they fly past your head only makes it worse.

Directional sound has never worked very well in any of the series.

None of them has come close to GRAW.

Apologies to mod makers if you improved the directional sound I have never used any of the sound mods.

The infantry sounds are good in my opinion, but the rest... really needs tweaking. Especially Vehicles and their weapons are really weak in the sound department.

Fancy eye candy also needs to be paired with good sound

Let me clear this up. No matter what projectile is coming at you through the air, your always going to hear it, as air is displaced, but this is the thing. You will only hear it seconds or less before impact OR as it goes past you. Take the TOW video posted by Dead3ye. Also, didn't want to mention anything in comparison, but I was playing Arma 2 OA last night, with JSRS and CBA. The fact that i can hear my death when a missile hits, is realistic. It's a displaced air sound, and i know in my head "Oh S**t" just as i die. Back to this whole thing, the Arma 3 Engine, the Arma 2 Engine, and Arma 1 Engines, in terms of sounds, were all the same, but different in many ways. Think of as COD. The graphics never change, except in some slight way, if not much at all. But to me, the Sound should be something heavily tweaked. Now some people may say, "Dude, it's impressive, its a long stretch since Arma 2, and its absolutely fantastic!" Well, your 10% right, its got improvements. But, fact is, it's bad still. I can still hear someone reload to my right, turn right, and the sound is still to my right. Not impressed. What needs change, is the sound ENGINE. Ounce they over haul the Engine, there will become possibility to improve and make things more immersive and realistic as hearing a rocket just before impact, or as it passes by you. This, of course, will take time.

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

The infantry sounds are good in my opinion, but the rest... really needs tweaking. Especially Vehicles and their weapons are really weak in the sound department.

Fancy eye candy also needs to be paired with good sound

And don't get me started with eye candy, im sick of Circular explosions... -.-#

Yeah I never understood why the audio was always so lacklustre in this series. It's a major aspect of immersion in a realistic war game.