Sign in to follow this  
Hud Dorph

Multiplayer not in playable state

Ok Bis i need to say some words here.

The current state on multiplay are at the moment a disaster and have been since altis was out.

Servers cant keep a playable framerate with over 15 players for more than 30mins or so.

Server starts up fresh with 50fps and with more and more players connect the server-fps will degrade

till it reaches unplayable 2fps. Now im not talking about 80players im talking about 20 players, i have not

seen arma mp in this state before, but something has to be done if you want mp to exist in this game.

Im do not know why it has gone this bad, but i have a hunch that game simply cant cope with island size of altis.

If that is the problem, then for the love of god devide the island into 2 parts for mp. I see no problem in keeping

altis as it is for campaign and smaller mp-sessions, and then have an altis-west and an altis-east for consistant multiplayer

servers with over 10players.

I run a pretty populated server with prettty descent hardware but when running with more than 15players for aprx 1hour,

the server-fps are about 2-4 and its not playable anymore. DO SOMETHING pls.

Edit: Have edited title due not to get thread derailed. This discussion are for Coop mp with +20 players

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

Played a nice long 3 hour CTI session yesterday, 40-60 players.

Frames were steady and no complaints from other players. I've played the same server before without problems.

What are you running on your server?

Really - were you admin - id really like to hear what fps server was running - not talking player fps here, although they also take a hit when serverfps are bad.

Running Domi - no mods.

Dorph;2554470']Really - were you admin - id really like to hear what fps server was running - not talking player fps here' date=' although they also take a hit when serverfps are bad.

Running Domi - no mods.[/quote']

I can say that each player-client connected = -2 server fps. So 20 players = 50-(2*20)=10 server fps. It depends on mission we play but why we do not have any decent MP mission like domination, warfare, CTI made by developers ? ARMA is about MP gaming not about SP campaign... SP campaign gaming is COD and their clones...

ARMA is about MP gaming not about SP campaign... SP campaign gaming is COD and their clones...

I absolutely disagree, this game is intended both for MP and SP, and always was. The campaign is a small part of the SP gaming.

Edited by ProfTournesol

Multiplayer is playable. It's the servers and the missions they run that are not playable, and the players/admins unwilling to play/host missions that do work and work well. So they really are the ones to blame, not BIS, even though BIS obviously have much they need to improve as well.

Multiplayer is playable. It's the servers and the missions they run that are not playable, and the players/admins unwilling to play/host missions that do work and work well. So they really are the ones to blame, not BIS, even though BIS obviously have much they need to improve as well.

Got to admit but ^this x over 9000

Invade and Annex causes my game to crash more than any other mode, and also drops my framerate the most (Haven't played wasteland though). Occupation has the same problem but only if you leave it running for over 2 days, or if you have lots of people all over the place. Haven't had any trouble with any single objective coop missions though.

Also doesn't help when people go edit these missions and add a lot of extra stuff into them, often without paying attention to compatibility (which causes performance loss because of logs being created) as well as the extra drawing calls, or careless scripting with constant infinite loops.

Multiplayer is playable with a small mission 5-10players yes. But 30 players on a server for

more than 1hour is pretty far from ok.

30players was ok in arma2 - 30players was ok in arma1 even with hardware for that time.

Think to be able to host a server mission with a few scripts running and 30 players on are

not too much to ask by todays standards, especially when this was fine on preivous versions

of the series. Are you running a server with 30players ?? Does it run ok ?? If so what hardware

are you running, and what mission are you running.

So i anyone can suggest me a coop mission that will keep a descent server-framerate on 30

players for some hours, pls point me in the right direction.

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

I can only play with good framrate on servers with a maximum of 30 players on. So it's funny when BIS says this on their official website:

ARMA 3 WILL PLAY HOST ONCE MORE TO THE ARMA SERIES' MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER PLAYERBASE WHO, WHEN COMBINED WITH THE ABILITY TO CREATE CUSTOM MISSIONS AND CONTENT, ARE PLAYING A VAST ARRAY OF OFFICIAL AND USER-GENERATED MISSIONS AND GAMETYPES DAILY. FROM 2-PLAYER CO-OP MISSIONS TO 60 VS 60 COMPETITIVE WARS, ARMA 3 FEATURES SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE.

I would love to see if it's even possible to play 120 players on one server.

I would love to see if it's even possible to play 120 players on one server.

hehe me too.

you'll no longer count frames per second. "fps", but instead it will be . Seconds per frame, "spf" :p

i stopped playing mp. its unplayeble for me.

i dont get how some people say they play fine in mp. to me it sounds like they are living in denial or are hardcoded fanboys who refuse to see & tell the truth.

i dont get how some people say they play fine in mp. to me it sounds like they are living in denial or are hardcoded fanboys who refuse to see & tell the truth.

I haven't seen anyone say that on this thread. We do admit there is a problem, but multiplayer isn't COMPLETELY unplayable, its just finding the right server/mission

Dan;2554720']I haven't seen anyone say that on this thread. We do admit there is a problem' date=' but multiplayer isn't COMPLETELY unplayable, its just finding the right server/mission[/quote']

Yer just dont play on servers with more than 10 slots.

I totally agree with Dorph

The issue is when playing coops on Altis.

PVP is not effected

If the AI are present at the start of the mission in decent numbers, then the mission will become unplayable relatively quickly when having more than 20 players (For us anyway)

While we were running the DEV branch I regularly saw a server simulation cycle rate at 0 FPS for at least 5-10 mins. It was destroying our community so we had to switch to stable, just to play

(No more DEV feedback from us)

I never had that issue with OFP, A1, A2

In A2 our server could run 30-40 players with 700 AI on Chenarus and an FPS of 15-20

We cant even run 1/4 of that on Altis.

The only missions that seem to work for us now are custom missions made by our members where the AI are dynamically created and in fairly low numbers

We ran a test of Eightysixes Patrol Ops mission on our server. This is the only mission that has good frame rates with high numbers of players, infact its pretty well optimised.

The orginal I&A is far from optimised, we run a heavily modified and rewritten version of it with some success

I have tried numerous edits to the server bandwidth configs and have improved things a little, but we are certainly nowhere near A2 AI numbers.

(Our bandwidth settings for A3 are very different to our A2 values)

So yes there is a big issue here and its killing the MP Coop side of things. Our numbers have gone from a constant 40 players a night 7 days a week to 20 players, 2 to 3 times a week

Other communities must be suffering too.

Even our hardcore vet players are fed up with it

So to answer one of Dorph's questions.

Eightsix's Patrol ops is a must have for you when it is released. It really is a smooth mission with high player numbers and it is very polished)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?168315-A3-Patrol-Operations-Official-Thread

Edited by Terox

following this thead, agreeing with some points, wip ...

Agree with Terox

We are running 2 Servers with a heavy modified (but not really optimised) version of Teetimes Warfare with 50 slots and around 40-50 AIs. It runs good (~20 FPS) but if we are adding a bit more AIs the Framerate drops really fast

I totally agree with Dorph

The issue is when playing coops on Altis.

PVP is not effected

If the AI are present at the start of the mission in decent numbers, then the mission will become unplayable relatively quickly when having more than 20 players (For us anyway)

While we were running the DEV branch I regularly saw a server simulation cycle rate at 0 FPS for at least 5-10 mins. It was destroying our community so we had to switch to stable, just to play

(No more DEV feedback from us)

I never had that issue with OFP, A1, A2

In A2 our server could run 30-40 players with 700 AI on Chenarus and an FPS of 15-20

We cant even run 1/4 of that on Altis.

From our findings of 50+ CO-OP I agree.

Ours is the same, Plays great for days as long as you dont go above 10 players and whilst your input Dwarden is appreciated, saying its WIP is a little to late when the clan members we are losing week on week because of this are going either backwards to A2 or leaving us for better multiplayer games. Whilst we expect to have some drifting within our Multi Gaming clan, how are we to be expected to keep players when the MP side of Arma 3 is broke.

As Terox mentioned, we too are on stable and tbh the rpt spam doesnt help and before you say use No Logs, how does that help us play test our mission? Then add in the fact the Rpt spam is BIS related errors still present in a released Version of the game? As far as im concerned this game hasnt as yet reached a Beta stage nor reached anywhere near what we were lead to believe the game should be.

Rather than wasting time looking at how shadows form from the camping chairs or rays of sun light... please make the game more playable or lose what people you have left

Dan;2554720']I haven't seen anyone say that on this thread. We do admit there is a problem' date=' but multiplayer isn't COMPLETELY unplayable, its just finding the right server/mission[/quote']

Arma runs pretty well up to 50 players, after that it is very hard to squeeze fps from servers.

There is something really weird happening in client side.

When you join to full 80 player server, fps is pretty good for 30-45min, after that it keeps getting down all the time.

To fix it, you have to quit and join back, then you will get some decent fps again.

There is some russian servers with 160 players. Does anyone know if they run smoothly? O.o

Edited by Soppa

Or they simply play different missions on different servers. Sure there are many performance issues in ArmA 3, but I wouldn't go and call it unplayable when there are quite a few MP missions both PvP and COOP that are very much playable and even enjoyable (or at least PvP as that's where I have a bit of experience hosting and playing with decent player numbers above 30). If only people were actually bothering to play such missions I'd probably still be playing. But people just want shiny toys and RPG-style progression and farming of money/experience/ranks.

I . . . ARMA is about MP gaming not about SP campaign... SP campaign gaming is COD and their clones...

Never read a more moronic statement. All pun intended.

I again state my question !

Why we do not see any decent MP mode like domination, warfare, CTI, annex and invade made by developers ? We can see small missions 5-10 players , even campaign can't be played as coop mode like in Arma 2.

How many times players can play campaign ? 2,3,5 times ? boring enough...? huh ? me , yes...

cheers, pawel

How many times players can play campaign ? 2,3,5 times ? boring enough...? huh ? me , yes...

There are other SP content than the campaign, huh.

Never read a more moronic statement. All pun intended.

Really ? Do you still play arma 2 campaign this days ? Or maybe you play MP missions (which can be played as SP) ? Show me arguments not pathetic answers... :j:

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

There are other SP content than the campaign, huh.

Try to answer my whole post, I refer to developers not user made missions, it is up to them what they want to do. Why arma 2 is still "alive" ? SP missions only ? or MP missions you can play both SP and MP ?

Wrong thread for SP vs MP. BI designed A3 with SP focus in mind and so far post alpha+beta+release they still focus on SP.

No one serious is saying they should drop SP, yet MP needs dire attention. That's all there is to it.