Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Why no boot camp in ArmA 3?

Why BIS didn't make boot camp missions like in ArmA 2?

It was good for newbies to make them handle ArmA gameplay - and Some missions were quite well done.

I guess that the devs thought that the showcases would be sorta like a tutorial to get into the game.

Yeah, but they're not.

I can see a lot of new people who don't know how to handle it.

Not adding the boot camp was a bad move IMO.

Operation Flashpoint had the boot camp integrated into the campaign so I thought they do it that way again... does not seem that case thoug.

"The campaign" as you describe it is more of a pretty narrowly tailored third of a campaign -- though Jay Crowe has said that "Adapt" is supposed to offer more autonomy and freedom.

I guess BIS wants to give you "on-the-job training", so to speak, with the new Instructor Figure thing. Though some tutorial missions would also help newer players.

I don't like compulsory 'Boot Camp' missions at the start of a campaign, because it means you have to go through it again every time you replay. And I find it really irritating when user-made campaigns have one. If you're playing a user-made campaign it's a good bet you already know how to play the game.

I don't like compulsory 'Boot Camp' missions at the start of a campaign, because it means you have to go through it again every time you replay.
Pretty much this, whereas more recent AAA games have been quite smooth about delivering "on-the-job" training during a story mode.

Now that you mention it, it would suck for people just getting into the game. It kinda inspires me to try my hand at making my own.

Now that you mention it, it would suck for people just getting into the game. It kinda inspires me to try my hand at making my own.

You'd be doing a great favor to community. Go for it!

I'm a seasoned arma vet but it still took me a while to figure out all the new things in A3. I can only imagine what a complete newbie would feel diving in the action.

I wish there was, preferably official, a series of boot camp missions; infantry movement + weapons, land vehicles, aircrafts, group commanding etc. Just go through every action and the most obvious reasons why would you use them. Really quickly to give an overview of the features, not to train the player to master them but just to show them. So when the players get into the real action, they remember "Oh yeah, I can roll in this game! Cool!" or "Why can't I hit anything with this rifle? That's right, these guns feature bullet drop and zeroing!".

I think the "On-the-job" training is not efficient in all the cases. The player is tense, scared and overwhelmed, he can't stop to think what he just did, he just did it because the instructor told him to to stay alive.

i remember in one of 2012's persentation, there was camp maxwell, where you could do various missions from it, via strategic map. Diving, shootings range, driving strider etc. I wish, BIS would add that showcase in the future, cause it looked really cool.

Would like a dev to one day explain the removal of that hub, unless it was literally just created for the purposes of convention builds.

So besides the basic of movement (changing stance, pacing and weapon lowering), shooting (zeroing, drop), something about the inventory, vehicles and then something about tactics, what would be more that needs to be touched on?

I'm building a Training Map myself, but its very low on my priority list of projects. Will be out in 2014.

I'm building a Training Map myself, but its very low on my priority list of projects. Will be out in 2014.

Well since I'm making missions for a group I play, I don't think I'd be able to beat that time.

I've always wanted to do one but I'd just go too in-depth, it'd actually take 3-4 months to complete and would mostly be useless to teach people about ArmA :p Honestly, you could probably do a simple mission or two to convey most things, and then go into another set of missions to convey the less mechanical stuff like tactics. Then specialized missions for things like Sniping, Rotary, etc.

The funny thing is that for a while now, the "AAA mainstream" games have been better at "the boot camp" than Arma 3 has been... then again, I thought that they were better than Arma 2 at that too.

I've always wanted to do one but I'd just go too in-depth, it'd actually take 3-4 months to complete and would mostly be useless to teach people about ArmA :p Honestly, you could probably do a simple mission or two to convey most things, and then go into another set of missions to convey the less mechanical stuff like tactics. Then specialized missions for things like Sniping, Rotary, etc.

I don't think you could go to in depth. It wouldn't just be extremely helpful to new players but it could also be extremely fun if done right. With everything going on in ARMA you could almost make a whole campaign out of it. I am extremely surprised no one has come fourth and done it yet. A split between a traditional boot camp setting and then specific missions for each type of play and game mechanic would be unbelievably awesome. Like a bunch of mini games. Someone please step up for the community. There's just to much going on for someone like me to learn who is trying to juggle an intensely dangerous job and a 1 year old daughter while studying to try and get out of my intensely dangerous job all on top of trying to keep the mortgage and bills paid. I need help with this game.

The ARMA 2 boot camp was ok but it didn't explain some things very well and it was assumed a lot that the player already new important details going in that fresh players just couldn't know.

Edited by evilarma